• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why haven’t there been more games based on popular albums?

Zannegan

It's probably because they all got pulled into larger umbrella music games like Guitar Hero, Beatsaber, etc., which is a more straightforward use of the license. I get that you're looking for more of an interpretation than just the music being included in a game.

Does Hellsinger fit the bill?

There was also this Aviici game, which is somewhere between your Guitar Heros and something more artsy, but I'm not sure that's your jam (so to speak).

Watch Tailor Swift's next album be a game that you have to play to hear. We may actually get a game with a completion percentage that equals a passing grade.

CamHostage

This is a little bit of a cheat since it was already a music game that released the licensed album tracks as DLC, but the PlayStation game Sound Shapes did a whole game package using Beck's Cities album. Levels were designed to follow the mood and themes of the tracks, and gameplay timing used sound samples for gamers to remix the game live with their gameplay.

Markio128

Gold Member
This is a little bit of a cheat since it was already a music game that released the licensed album tracks as DLC, but the PlayStation game Sound Shapes did a whole game package using Beck's Cities album. Levels were designed to follow the mood and themes of the tracks, and gameplay timing used sound samples for gamers to remix the game live with their gameplay.

Nice. I don’t mind a bit of Beck.

Markio128

Gold Member
There was a really weird JRPG based on Chopin that was an xbox 360 exclusive
The Lark Ascending is probably my favourite classical track. Not Chopin I know, but classical music does lend itself nicely to games.

It would sound amazing in an RPG

As a crossover, 2001 Space Odyssey is basically the film version of the kind of game I’d like to see.

Last edited:

M4vericko

Neo Member
Holy Diver - NES
holy-diver-16305.jpg

Dio - Holy Diver
HolyDiver.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
People Cry at games delisted and updated years after released because of a single licensed track, can't imagine the shit rain if they made a whole game based on a licensed music album 😂

Last edited:

Holammer

Games take too long and cost too much to develop. That's why it goes the other way around and finished music is licensed for games.
Could you make a game based on a full album or an individual song? Absolutely!

We don't have many musical themed games where characters suddenly start singing and dancing, yet anyway. Anyone know any?
Imagine a Final Fantasy where the antagonist bursts into a Disney'esque song to lay out his devious plot? There's a lot of potential in the idea, or it could turn into Squeenix's worst flop yet.

Markio128

Gold Member
I’ve just thought of a piece of music I’d love a game to be based on - The Ninth Wave, by Kate Bush. As far as I know it’s based on a woman set adrift in the sea, and each song is based on different memories, or dreams.

Markio128

Gold Member
Games take too long and cost too much to develop. That's why it goes the other way around and finished music is licensed for games.
Could you make a game based on a full album or an individual song? Absolutely!

We don't have many musical themed games where characters suddenly start singing and dancing, yet anyway. Anyone know any?
Imagine a Final Fantasy where the antagonist bursts into a Disney'esque song to lay out his devious plot? There's a lot of potential in the idea, or it could turn into Squeenix's worst flop yet.

That actually happens in FF7 Rebirth.

midnightAI

If any band deserves the AAA treatment it’s Iron Maiden. Which album would suit a game the most do you reckon? Somewhere in Time would make a solid base for a sci-fi game, especially since Eddie looks super cool on the album sleeve.
Stranger in a Strange land would be awesome, sci fi cowboy

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The Lark Ascending is probably my favourite classical track. Not Chopin I know, but classical music does lend itself nicely to games.

It would sound amazing in an RPG

As a crossover, 2001 Space Odyssey is basically the film version of the kind of game I’d like to see.

The game is really weird but it kinda worked.

Markio128

Gold Member

The game is really weird but it kinda worked.
I feel like I’ve played it, but I can’t recall. The name seems really familiar. It could be an age thing, but it seems like a game I’d enjoy having read that Gamesradar article.

Not quite an album, but....

At7glP2.jpeg

Yeah, I know there was a Genesis and Arcade version, but this is the one that I grew up with and it was fire.

ultrazilla

If any band deserves the AAA treatment it’s Iron Maiden. Which album would suit a game the most do you reckon? Somewhere in Time would make a solid base for a sci-fi game, especially since Eddie looks super cool on the album sleeve.

I'd go with "Somewhere in Time" and "The Final Frontier" for sci-fi and cyberpunk games. Or how about a mod for Cyberpunk 2077 with Eddie?!

Then I'd go with "Aces High" for a fps shooter "Call of Duty" style.

"Fear of the Dark" would make for an incredible horror game(Silent Hill, Resident Evil or PT" style.

The thing with Maiden is that pretty much all their albums have really good themes that can fit various video game genres.

BJDzdQi.jpeg

UP THE IRONS!!

Last edited:
Gorillaz: Fuel Drive (Geep Simulator) is the most direct comparison based on your criteria.

GeepGame.jpg

Here's some other games that surround musicians having some semblance to depict messaging from their album:
50 Cent: Bulletproof and Blood on the Sand
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
INXS, Kriss Kross, C+C Music Factory and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch had Sega Cd games in the "Make My video" series.
XPLORAI: Peter Gabriel's Secret World.
David Bowie's Bowie World

Hypereides

Gold Member

The game is based on the official video for the title track of the band’s seventh album, Californication, which is set inside a fictitious video game – now, thanks to one hardcore fan, that game is a reality.
No joke, I'd be down for a higher budget modern GTA-esque clone inspired by the Californication music video. If a developer had the gonads to do that, then I'd applaud it. THQ nordic could be a potential publisher behind it. Honestly, current day Cali is rife with material to poke at.

Top Bottom