• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Inside Out 2 so successful?

Did I miss something?
I read constantly that the movie is breaking records and I just can’t figure out why?

I watched the first movie with my daughter and I found it just okay and my daughter was also not very impressed. The first movie also didn’t had universal acclaim.

So what has changed? Did I miss something, there are so many better animated movies in my opinion. Sure tastes are different and I respect it, but I just can’t figure out, why it is so successful…

Hrk69

Gold Member
TyK369X.jpeg

As someone who thought the first movie was one of the best written animated movies of all time, I found the second to be underwhelming. But coming off that kind of hype of course it would do well

LimanimaPT

Social media buzz? I don't know. I've watched the first one and I've found it to be kind of meh...
This seems to be the same situation has that barbie movie that everybody went to the movies running like there was no tomorrow.

Mossybrew

I was wondering about that too OP, I had read similar things and was thinking, man I have heard no-one, not a single person, mention this movie in real life. Then I realized well duh, my kids are adults now. My friends' kids are adults now. We just aren't the main audience for a movie like this. Time was I'd catch every Pixar release and most Disney ones to watch with the kids, some they would latch on to and watch repeatedly ... but time marches on and those days are gone.

Saber

I would ask the same thing about Elementals. My parents took their nieces to watch it, after 10 minutes they started sleeping during the entire movie. My mom didn't understand a single thing this movie was about.

Touch grass. There is a whole world outside the forums.

Dude wtf, it was a tame question from what I read.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Did I miss something?
I read constantly that the movie is breaking records and I just can’t figure out why?

I watched the first movie with my daughter and I found it just okay and my daughter was also not very impressed. The first movie also didn’t had universal acclaim.

So what has changed? Did I miss something, there are so many better animated movies in my opinion. Sure tastes are different and I respect it, but I just can’t figure out, why it is so successful…

I think you might be in your old man phase.

The first movie did really well at the box office earning $858 Million

hsyt2oU.jpeg

The sequel, if it's good, earned more than the first one.

You and your kid didn't like it? Ok. But millions of others did... Enough to make it and its sequel a success.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Of course, I can say that it is better than the movie Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Freedom.

That Gundam movie was a sleeping pill and I already wanted to leave the movie theater.

StueyDuck

It was a different generations toy story.

It's why zootopia 2 will murder at the box office also. Unless they really go for modern audiences hard

Muffdraul

I haven't seen 2 yet, but I loved the original Inside Out, thought it was among the best Pixar works. And I remember searching up the neogaf thread to see what the consensus was and was surprised at how many "Meh" and "I hated it" posts there were. Fucking philistines. I was hoping most of those twits were at purple forum now.

Lambogenie

First one was very popular. And now they have even more mental health issues that are more openly discussed and trending.

Personally, I thought the first was good but that was it. Didn't want a sequel as the premise is not interesting to me, and less so with modern, trendy views of mental stuff.

sigmaZ

First one was very popular. And now they have even more mental health issues that are more openly discussed and trending.

Personally, I thought the first was good but that was it. Didn't want a sequel as the premise is not interesting to me, and less so with modern, trendy views of mental stuff.
I'll never watch it. Saw the first, but it's a blur. Do they actually bring up actual disorders, or is it just more generic coming of age emotional pandering?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It was a different generations toy story.

It's why zootopia 2 will murder at the box office also. Unless they really go for modern audiences hard

I adore Zootopia (see DeafTourette DeafTourette ? I'm not totally jaded and heartless) and I hope the second one knocks it out of the park again.

I can't remember a thing from Inside Out other than it was an okay movie so will be checking the second when it hits streaming.

Last edited:

Neolombax

I didn't really like the first one. But Inside Out 2 pulled a bit at my heartstrings. I feel like the storyline was way more relatable.

RAÏSanÏa

It might have succeeded since simpleminded belligerent provocateurs weren't directed to howl talking points about those films by podcasts, facebook and youtubers. They could've been too busy with Star Wars, MCU and Disney live action remakes.

I hadn't heard about these films at all and I often hear about these sorts of films from the noise those alarmists make all over the place at any opportunity.

The compartmentalization of those qualities is a lot like IFS. Interesting idea for a film. Sort of thing that could lead to enlightened thinking.

BigBeauford

1.First film was great.

2.General audiences have gone years in-between being subjected to heavy handed woke messages, and have grown weary of it, with Pixar leading the charge.

3.Pixar gets its nuts put in a vice to make movies people can enjoy instead of being lectured.

4. They make a relatable movie that almost anyone can enjoy without fucking periods, LGBTQ romance, or "generational trauma" and people show up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's basically doubled the BO of Inside Out with the same domestic/internation ratio, so broad appeal. I can't believe it but can only assume folks have been hankering for a "Classic" Pixar/Disney experience and this is it.

Mistake

They used the same formula and it's one of the most tame, family friendly movies they've done in a while. Zero controversy

DosGamer

We took our 10 year old daughter to watch and I think the messaging and way it handles the topic are huge selling points. My little girl loved it and it even kept me entertained.

K' Dash

this. its a movie for millennial women and their spoiled children who learn words like anxiety, depression, feelings before discipline, respect and accountability.

This is a good answer, I have constant friction with my wife about this, we're both millenials.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is a good answer, I have constant friction with my wife about this, we're both millenials.
it's pretty much every single millennial marriage i know. my friends, my brothers, the father of my sons friends. we all have the same issues. its weird because both millenial moms and dads were raised by boomer parents but have very different views on parenting. i am as mindful as i can be about my kids feelings and mental health but women just take it to the extreme. my friend refused to say no to her son, let alone ever admonish him because it might give him some kind of complex, and now he literally cant handle any instructions from his coaches, grandparents, and seems to be unable to handle conflict with his peers because his feelings immediately get hurt.

maybe im wrong and my kids will turn out to be worse, but kids need to be told NO means NO and they shouldnt be learning words like depression and anxiety at such an early age. wtf does a 6 year old have to be depressed about but they pick up most of the words from their moms who are constantly going on about emotional intelligence, feelings and depression and whatever the fuck tiktok feeds them on a daily basis.

Top Bottom