• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is my 1:21 mpeg recorded off a digital camera 28.3 mb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
I had to choose 640 (VGA) because 160 (Mail) is shit and unwatchable. So I'd expect the size to be pretty big.

But isn't 28.3 mb unreasonable? The quality still isn't THAT good.

Is there any non-complicated way of compressing the size without damaging the quality much? If I were to Zip the file, how much space would that take off?

Thanks.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Probably lack of compression.
Even Jpeg images are easily over 1 MB each (for 2MP even!).

miyuru

You could re-encode the video into something else (like turning a .wav into a .mp3, know what I mean?).

What's that program again? The name escapes me :-\.

nitewulf

virtualdub to compress it to divx...of course you must have the codecs installed and the person you are sending must have them installed for viewing as well. plus you have to make sure to choose a compression for the audio as well, to keep the file size small.

miyuru

nitewulf said:
virtualdub to compress it to divx...of course you must have the codecs installed and the person you are sending must have them installed for viewing as well. plus you have to make sure to choose a compression for the audio as well, to keep the file size small.

Yes! Virtualdub! This program rocks, trust me anyone can use it. Just select the video and audio codecs you wish to re-encode too, and the bitrates, and watch that file size SHRINK!

Socreges

Banned
Ok, I dl'ed Virtualdub.

I've turned off audio altogether and chosen the video compressor (Intel Indeo 4.5 - any other suggestions?). Now how do I actually compress it?

miyuru

I dunno what that Intel one is, google 'nic's xvid codec' or something, and d/l that to try.

With this, you should be able to re-encode to Xvid. Just check help on how to re-encode, I'm too lazy to check how b/c it's on my other computer and I don't want to turn it on ^_^.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom