• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why This New CD Could Change Storage

CamHostage

What's needed is a new physical format not like SD cards or the game carts Nintendo uses, not just for games but for movies/shows etc, where the reader is built into your TV and everything else, it might stave off the decline of physical media as its optical that is one of the reasons why its failing from popularity.

I always wished that physical media could have migrated to something that was itself a physical keepsake, especially as discs started to die. Something cool to own which would also be an installation medium or key for playing the game.

For instance, if Amiibos could store whole games instead of just a little code, your library of games for a platform would also be toys or shelf graphics. (This could already be done if they had a USB keydrive hidden in them, but that's kind of a tacky and clunky solution.) Or when the tech of holographic storage was first pitched, I imagined how cool it would be if games came as collectible cubes. (They did prototype the glass disc below, but that's just another disc and wouldn't be as fun on a shelf... they're also impossibly impractical in speed and storage size, but hey, they look pretty.)

_8JB9259.0.0.1455643719.jpg

...Obviously, there's not much practicality to the idea (and it'd be one more expensive thing for your rotten kids to lose,) but given that physical media already is largely a minority market for those concerned about having something to look at and trade around and keep for posterity, I feel like a more displayable product would be a way to go if it somehow could make sense.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I always wished that physical media could have migrated to something that was itself a physical keepsake, especially as discs started to die. Something cool to own which would also be an installation medium or key for playing the game.

For instance, if Amiibos could store whole games instead of just a little code, your library of games for a platform would also be toys or shelf graphics. (This could already be done if they had a USB keydrive hidden in them, but that's kind of a tacky and clunky solution.) Or when the tech of holographic storage was first pitched, I imagined how cool it would be if games came as collectible cubes. (They did prototype the glass disc below, but that's just another disc and wouldn't be as fun on a shelf... they're also impossibly impractical in speed and storage size, but hey, they look pretty.)

_8JB9259.0.0.1455643719.jpg

...Obviously, there's not much practicality to the idea (and it'd be one more expensive thing for your rotten kids to lose,) but given that physical media already is largely a minority market for those concerned about having something to look at and trade around and keep for posterity, I feel like a more displayable product would be a way to go if it somehow could make sense.
I just wish more games would have a “digital collector’s edition” that includes all the same goodies but with a download code instead of a disc.

I honestly couldn’t care less about having a game stored locally on physical media. Pretty much nobody wants it, not publishers, not consumers, not retailers. Nobody is going to spend the R&D trying to solve an imaginary problem like this. But it’d still be cool to have some collectible stuff to go with the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sony came up with storage cassette tapes that can hold 350GB back in 2017. Should just put tape drives in consoles since games dont run off the disc anymore and are only good for installing the base game to the hdd.
A plastic frisbee costs fuck all

Mr.Phoenix

Sure and then when the servers go down you lose what you paid for…
Theres nothing stubborn about preferring physical media despite what naysayers may say
I honestly don't get what you are saying. You are still talking about streaming?

You can pay for and download a digital copy of the content. And that digital copy can in turn be stored on an internal or external drive. You can go as many drives deep as you want if preservation is your primary concern. I should know, it's what I have been doing for the last 10 years. My backups have back-ups.

There are simply better ways to do or go about everything that having a physical disc offers. And thus, is stubborn to think otherwise.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm a huge advocate for physical media, but I care about ownership of the thing more than anything (please, spare us all the "u don't really own anything" bullshit). As much as I'd like a successor to UHD/BD someday, what I think I really want is a good option for downloading movies and TV shows that's not loaded up with DRM. The best we have at this point is Kaleidescape, which costs tens of thousands of dollars and isn't really a solution. If the music figured this out 20+ years ago, the movie industry could stand to do the same -- even more so now that download speeds and hard drive capacities are at a reasonable level for it.

nkarafo

I honestly couldn’t care less about having a game stored locally on physical media. Pretty much nobody wants it, not publishers, not consumers, not retailers.
Having your stuff stored LOCALLY is very important. Doesn't matter if it's a CD or a file in your HDD, you need to have control of your files. Ofc publishers don't want this since their dream is to have all the control by themselves. But consumers want it or don't know they want it but they should.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Having your stuff stored LOCALLY is very important. Doesn't matter if it's a CD or a file in your HDD, you need to have control of your files. Ofc publishers don't want this since their dream is to have all the control by themselves. But consumers want it or don't know they want it but they should.
Okay I phrased that wrong. I meant being able to buy some physical media that comes with the entire game on it without having to download anything. Yeah I absolutely want to have the game locally but it makes no difference to me whether that’s by downloading it or by reading it off a disc.

nkarafo

Okay I phrased that wrong. I meant being able to buy some physical media that comes with the entire game on it without having to download anything. Yeah I absolutely want to have the game locally but it makes no difference to me whether that’s by downloading it or by reading it off a disc.
Oh, i'm on the same boat then. As long as i can have the files and i'm able to back them up i'm happy.

I hear you... but I don't know why you do it that way. You can get the digital version of those movies too. And they are identical to the physical version. I am not talking about streaming here.

I have not seen a legal place to find a 1:1 digital copy of the 4K UHD.

RickMasters

Honestly I feel sorry for the company that is in saying in this. There is no future for physical media. I get no joy from saying it but it’s true.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
impressive storage space. read write speeds must be shit, the internet better have faster speeds.wonder what the main use of this would be?
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Where did that guy go? He was in like every other movie 15 years ago. Unless that's not that guy.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Where did that guy go? He was in like every other movie 15 years ago. Unless that's not that guy.
I notice that a lot in Hollywood some actors are in every film for a few years then they disappear. Sometimes they are legit funny or good actors

Sam Worthington for example (ok maybe he disappeared because he isn’t exactly the greatest actor he is not the worst but not the best) seemed to be star in every movie I think if it wasn’t for the avatar series he wouldn't have had a comeback

Oh wait Jai Courtney seems to have stopped for now

Joel Kinnaman to.

Those are the guys that usually come to mind for me in recent years.

That guy above to. But I always think he is character actor and not leading man

Last edited:
Top Bottom