• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea they really opened the floodgates to all of us who registered in the first half of the year it seems :)

hmm don't know since Lego Batman 2 doesn't have a "real" open-world and in comparison it's very dark compared to the bright daylight scenes we've seen from Undercover

I think so too, though I've been trying to be a member of GAF for years. I was extremely pleased that it only took about 8 months to get posting privileges on my University e-mail. Back on topic, I was actually quite impressed with Undercover, even graphics wise. I don't know how power demanding the game is, but I was really impressed with how fluid some of the game play looked.

Ala Alba

This depends on who's definition of hardcore you use. If you mean the classic definition used before this gen, then yes Mario is hardcore. But if you go by the current definition of hardcore, Mario would not classify unless he had a gun and Peach was naked.

So "hardcore" is the new "mature"?

I think so too, though I've been trying to be a member of GAF for years. I was extremely pleased that it only took about 8 months to get posting privileges on my University e-mail. Back on topic, I was actually quite impressed with Undercover, even graphics wise. I don't know how power demanding the game is, but I was really impressed with how fluid some of the game play looked.

Which parts were that? The framerate was horrible, and the screen tearing was obvious. I was surprised they showed it in that condition. They still have time to fix it, but damn, I had the exact opposite impression that you did.

Which parts were that? The framerate was horrible, and the screen tearing was obvious. I was surprised they showed it in that condition. They still have time to fix it, but damn, I had the exact opposite impression that you did.

I know what you mean, some of the footage I saw did have some screen tearing, but if you ask me, the game was running a bit inconsistently, and while some areas were horrible to look at, some were very satisfying. I guess the optimist in me is hoping the remaining part of its development is spent tweaking and optimizing the game so that it runs smoothly overall.

Jealous.

Edit: If ypu can, please test out all the moves with the Gamepad's buttons in NSMBU. I want 100% confirmation that a person doesn't have to shake the Gamepad to take advantage of secondary abilities on power ups (like double-hover with the Squirrel Suit ect).

Will try to do, don't know what to expect fully, but if I can I'll find out that info for you.

I'm going tomorrow at 3

Awesomeness!

Hey Shin Johnpv,

If its an available option play, can you try out the Gamepad controls for Pikmin 3? Also, find out if the wiimote controls are using the IR or the motion+ for the cursor. (Test it by covering up the IR window on the wiimote.)

And if you happen to see a power brick out in the open, try and get a shot of its voltage ratings on the underside.

I'll try to find that stuff out.

canvee

Hey guys! Had no idea this thread even existed. I thought everyone must of committed mass Seppuku post-e3 since I couldn't find the wii u community thread lol.

https://twitter.com/makonakocom/

a guy who attended the Nintendo Share Holder Meeting shares lots of information
sorry that I have no time to translate all the information
but I think the most useful information is this one:

"Nintendo plans to reveal the launch day and price at September,
and not just the launch titles, also the titles for 2013 will be revealed at that time"

They should have announced these 2013 titles at e3. If they are trying to gauge public interest for pricing, it's a bit too late for that :/

Hiltz

So in other words, we'll just get more info on the currently announced titles. Hopefully, Nintendo will share some third-party announcements in September as well.

Hakai

You keep saying that, but it is not really new or interesting, or relevant for that matter.

Well you have a point, but I think he is right, just take it easy man, it's only a forum, it's ok to discuss, but if you lose your mind, you might regret it.

Just saying ^^

Redford

aka Cabbie
Anyone else worried about how Nintendo will top Galaxy 2?

I know they will but damn. I fucking love this game and I'm only 30 stars in.

Well you have a point, but I think he is right, just take it easy man, it's only a forum, it's ok to discuss, but if you lose your mind, you might regret it.

Just saying ^^

Yep. Also the guns-blazing junior thing usually doesn't work out too well, regardless of what you're arguing. /metagaf

Hakai

I know they will but damn. I fucking love this game and I'm only 30 stars in.

Yep. Also the guns-blazing junior thing usually doesn't work out too well, regardless of what you're arguing. /metagaf

Galaxy 2 is really awesome isn't it? And it get's better, this is exactly what makes me hyped for the Wii U, see how the next 3D Mario will turn out!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So in other words, we'll just get more info on the currently announced titles. Hopefully, Nintendo will share some third-party announcements in September as well.

In September? I actually expect a proper blowout. Almost nothing has been announced for the Japanese market and that market is always priority #1 for Nintendo. I suspect it will look a lot like the 3DS conference last fall which saw Monster Hunter 3G and 4 revealed.

I also would not be shocked if we see Monolith's project. It could very conceivably be a Q1-Q2 2013 release in Japan.

Galaxy 1/2 are borderline perfection. Can't imagine a platformer being better designed so I won't be hard on them if they don't top them.

Galaxy 2 is really awesome isn't it? And it get's better, this is exactly what makes me hyped for the Wii U, see how the next 3D Mario will turn out!

Your avatar makes me want to play 3D land again

about that "true next gen" comment: you can just as well read that as clarifying that they're not still referring to PS3/360 as "next gen" like so many people have been doing at least until last year.
The PS3 has been on the market for 6 years and the 360, 7 years. People still refer to them as next gen? I don't see it.

The "true next gen" comment is written in a manner to exclude. An inclusive comment would have simply been "next gen."

D-e-f-

Banned
The PS3 has been on the market for 6 years and the 360, 7 years. People still refer to them as next gen? I don't see it.

The "true next gen" comment is written in a manner to exclude. An inclusive comment would have simply been "next gen."

yup, they definitely still did last year. it's obviously stupid but that doesn't change the fact that people called PS3/360 versions "next gen" to differentiate them from Wii versions.

[a]list : With Nintendo, where do you think they
came up short in the way they showed the Wii
U?
Dean Takahashi: They have a major issue with
the capability of the Wii U console where it has
a single processor but it has to drive multiple
displays. A single graphics chip inside the
console has to drive the big screen, the main
game screen, but it also has to provide the
imagery for the tablet controller, the game pad.
And yet the system itself isn’t that powerful.
Nintendo only showed games with one game
pad controller and the TV. Most games out
there, if you’re in a social setting, you want two
controllers. Nintendo didn’t show any games
that do that. They admitted in a Q&A that the
games are going to run slower if you have two
game pads and playing on a main display. That’s
a fairly big issue for them. They made a good
case that you can play with one controller and
multiple Wii controllers, what they call
asymmetric gaming where one person is looking
at the small tablet screen and trying to deploy
zombies while the people playing with the
controllers were all on the main screen. You
come up with very creative, different kinds of
games where it’s one against four, or one
person going online. They tried to justify and
turn into an advantage this major weakness of
the Wii U, but I think a lot of people saw this as
a weakness. The games themselves were
creative. They tried to do something like Wii
Sports with NintendoLand, which has mini-
games in it that explore the capabilities of the
tablet and the touch screen. But there wasn’t an
obvious blockbuster within those games. They
may have had a good one in ZombieU, but in the
demos it didn’t necessarily play that well.
Nintendo came up as a pretty big
disappointment at E3.

www.thealistdaily.com/news/exclusive-gamesbeats-dean-takahashi/

(Credit to RMC)

AJSousuke

about that "true next gen" comment: you can just as well read that as clarifying that they're not still referring to PS3/360 as "next gen" like so many people have been doing at least until last year.

the problem is that it is easy to get the comment twisted, there was no need to use the word "true" since PS360 have been current gen by a while.

Basically what it boils down to for me. I can allready see lots of great gaming concepts to come to Wii. Ubisoft allready showed that they are not messing around this time, and even if ZombiU turns out a stinker (highly doubtfull) they still have Rayman and Assassins Creed 3 ready.

then you have the potentially next big party game hit in Nintendo Land.

I'm just happy with it.

D-e-f-

Banned
They're really not making it easy for themselves (Nintendo and Ubisoft).

To me, ZombiU looks pretty fantastic from what I've seen and heard in the demos and interviews that came out of E3. Yet so many people simply brush it off because
a) Zombies (completely disregarding that a Zombie game can actually still be a very good game, in spite of everyone saying "too many zambiez!")
b) the name (which is stupid but who cares about a name?) and
c) it's a new first person shooter IP from Ubisoft for a Nintendo console and that seemingly means it has to be just as bad as Red Steel turned out.

That's a lot of undeserved preconceived crap that the game has to deal with.

Then there's NintendoLand which makes a bad first impression but appears to be actually quite awesome if you sacrifice a second to actually think about what it does. I mean, re-using the Skyward Sword mechanics for sword fighting and archery in a multiplayer setting? That's pretty cool! (The on-rails part not so much but if there are enough fun stages that can be overlooked)

It also has basically Pac Man Vs (which people loved before Wii U) packed in. That was its own game, now it's just one of many.

If they make the F-Zero game faster and a little crazier that could be a nice "hold over" until they eventually make a proper new one ...

So what am I saying? I actually don't know ... just venting frustration over the difficult position they love to put themselves in with their messaging.

Ah well, I'm still excited is all I'm saying in the end! :D

JordanN

Banned
At this point, Nintendo has pretty much taken most of their demo's from E3 2011 and turn them into actual concepts so it wouldn't be wrong to assume Zelda U will be based on this build?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

Not that I would complain. I would love to play Zelda with the same lighting and shadowing system in place!
zeldawiiu_02wuqek.gif

schuelma

Wait what

chrome://echofon/content/user-view.xul?screen_name=Nova_Crystallis

"Wii U launches in September in Japan"

I assume that is a mistranslation from Nintendo's investor briefing where they said launch details would be announced in September.

MDX

Basically what it boils down to for me. I can allready see lots of great gaming concepts to come to Wii. Ubisoft allready showed that they are not messing around this time, and even if ZombiU turns out a stinker (highly doubtfull) they still have Rayman and Assassins Creed 3 ready.

I'm just happy with it.

WiiU is not getting enough credit for nabbing Assassin's Creed 3 for launch.
Before, people didnt expect it, now that WiiU has it, it has been marginalized.

Im curious which 3rd party game Nintendo needs to get on the WiiU that
it will be taken seriously as a multi-port console. I doubt its CoD. It might be GTA5.

Sadist

Hearing the same things.

Wait for another source, though. This should only be approached with a truckload of salt. Very possibly fake.
Oh?

I'm leaning towards fake btw, because as Shuelma said it could be a mistranslation regarding the Wii U info in September. Or, Nintendo will have the conference around the beginning of month and release at the end of it.

MDX

I'm just happy with it.

it will be taken seriously as a multi-port console. I doubt its CoD. It might be GTA5.

big_erk

Hello everyone. Been following these threads from the beginning. Just wanted to introduce myself and say I look forward to the lively discussion and banter this thread is known for.

A September launch would be surprising. A November launch would be more logical, imo.

If CoD isn't there then there's something seriously wrong. But it's expected and basically confirmed by that magazine scan.

GTAV would definitely allay any concerns about third party support I think.

A mainline Final Fantasy - despite the brand's luster having diminished a bit - would also be a strong positive. Tomb Raider from the Eidos side.

A Metal Gear game from Konami? Resident Evil 6 from Cacpcom?

schuelma

I think that is a decent point. The problem is Nintendo did not announce any new 3rd party releases besides Mass Effect 3. If Nintendo had unveiled AC3, Aliens, and Darksiders at E3 I think the reaction would have been different.

MDX

I'm just happy with it.

Hoodbury

Im curious which 3rd party game Nintendo needs to get on the WiiU that it will be taken seriously as a multi-port console. I doubt its CoD. It might be GTA5.

It's definitely GTA5. If Nintendo could get that, they could tell us the Wii-U is doing what the Wii could never do. If they got Rockstar support, it would be a huge message to other 3rd party companies to also go in for Wii-U.

CoD, AC3, MoH, etc wouldn't send that same message in my opinion. CoD sells more than GTA but I just don't think it's that big of a message.

I think other huge "boo-ya's" would be if Nintendo could get a PC only game on the Wii-U, something like Diablo 3 or a pretty popular MMO. They could then toot their horns saying the only way to get these games on a console is on Nintendo (at least at the moment). They could say major PC games can be on the Wii-U because of their innovative controller and hardware.

What I'm still confused about though regarding third parties is Ubi saying they are the biggest 3rd party support for Wii-U and they're all in and all those other PR sayings they've done, but no mention of their other pretty popular and mature IP of Farcry 3. I don't get why they would go all in with AC3, Splinter Cell, etc, and say they are backing Ninty but not do FarCry. It doesn't make any sense. If you're going to go all in, then go all in.

USC-fan

Banned

Just getting the game is not enough. Most people have ps360 already. They need to fix the online to match at least the ps3.

Just getting the same games and they look the same is not going to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom