• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will MGS3 have radar?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I heard when the game was first announced that the game will have no radar. At first I didn't care but then I started thinking if they used the same type of camera that they did for MGS 1 and 2, how will it be possible to play the game? Is there a replacement to the radar or is there going to be nothing at all to tell us where the enemies are?

psycho_snake said:
I heard when the game was first announced that the game will have no radar. At first I didn't care but then I started thinking if they used the same type of camera that they did for MGS 1 and 2, how will it be possible to play the game? Is there a replacement to the radar or is there going to be nothing at all to tell us where the enemies are?

No radar. There are gadgets to detect life form though. But you know, life forms = wild animals too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
There's another gadget that tells you where the enemies are located, a sonar, but you should not use it while close to an enemy, or they can hear it and spot you easily.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
psycho_snake said:
The camera is also a little different. It's not quite as bird's eye anymore, and you can move it around a bit.

There are three gadgets that, when used wisely, make up for the lack of a central radar:

1) A motion sensor, which shows everything that is currently moving around you in a radar-like display. This only shows moving objects, so both an animal and a person show up as a dot. And only if they're moving.

2) A sonar that emits a pulse that shows you everything that is in an area, so it will detect still objects as well. It also does not differentiate between human and animal, and additionally, a person or animal can possibly hear the pulse.

3) An anti-personnel sensor that has no visual component. But it both beeps and makes your controller vibrate when it detects a person nearby; the beeping is heard only by you, and increases in frequency the closer you get to someone.

So, no, there's no central radar, but between these three items, you basically have a radar of sorts. You just can't tell where people are looking, but that's what peeking around corners and stuff is for.

Top Bottom