• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will the release of Halo 2 finally drive Halo into the bargain bins?

I was just thinking about the fact that this generation has been owned by GTA. With over 10 & 11 million sold worldwide no other franchise except Pokemon can come close.

That being said, you can find GTA 3 used for $4.99 at most EB's or Gamestop's, presumably because of trade-ins, especially with the preorder of GTA:VC, where you were able to get a good trade value. I find GTA:VC used for $9.99 at many stores as well.

However, you don't see used copies of Halo much at all. I've asked over the years and gamestore employees always state that they don't get Halo in very often, and when they do, it blows right out.

So, now that Halo 2 is coming out, will the original finally be traded in? Or is it too cherished by Xbox gamers and it will continue to be a rare find as a used copy? And what does that mean about the long term prospects of each franchise? Does having $4.99 copies of GTA 3 devalue the franchise at all? Does it mean that GTA might lose some of it's long term value as a franchise?

NOTE: This is also true for most of PS2's major sales franchises. GT3, MGS2, FFX, & SOCOM can all be had for very cheap used, even way before this year, which you might expect with new sequels coming out for many.

It's just a very interesting dynamic that major PS2 releases can be found for so cheap when games like Halo & (for the longest time) Super Smash Bros Melee keep their value high for so long.

Personally, I won't buy Halo 2 until I play Halo. And I won't buy a 3 year old game for 50$ CDN + tax.

So they better lower the price, my EB has a few used copies for sell as well...for 45$, what a bargain...

Just get it from ebay... Instead of waiting for a copy that will say "Platinum Hits" on the box.

I got a copy in February 2003 for $20, scratch free. I'm sure you can get a copy for that much or less now.

border

It's just a very interesting dynamic that major PS2 releases can be found for so cheap when games like Halo & (for the longest time) Super Smash Bros Melee keep their value high for so long.
I don't think it has very much to do with the system. Halo and Smash Brothers are very multiplayer-oriented games. As long as you are having fun with friends, the replay value is near infinite. People don't sell them back because they still have a great deal of use for them.

Big PS2 releases are mostly single-player affairs. You can only play through them so many times before they just start collecting dust on the shelf.

If Halo 2 includes all the popular Halo 1 maps, I imagine that the used market will be flooded with copies of the first game. There won't really be any reason to hold on to it, at that point.

Phoenix

Halo1 will hit the bargain bin when Xenon launches, not before. If Microsoft understands one thing, its riding out high software prices.

Hajaz

im wondering what effect halo2 xboxliveenabled will have on xboxconnect, since Halo1 is pretty much the only thing people play on there

Top Bottom