• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will THUG 2 be the quietest launch of the franchise?

Absolutely nobody is talking about this game and it comes out next week. I smell a bomb. I mean, it will still do decent numbers, but I think they really need to give the series a break.

WarPig

I think it'll still do fine selling to the mainstream market. Activision's always done a good job marketing the series on TV and whatnot, and this one is REALLY telegenic with all the goofy Jackass stuff going on.

Good game, too, the level designs are off the hook.

DFS.

If Activision chooses not to push the game too hard, it's probably because it will sell fine without too much marketing budget. It won't be because of the game's quality, because THUG 2 is a lot of fun and has more modes than should be legal.

Ronin

I've seen the commercials.

I wonder if we'll still be seeing them months later like with the first THUG.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Is it just me or does the commercial make the graphics look quite bad? I thought the THUG 1 commercials were way better.

WarPig

Minotauro said:
Better or worse than the first THUG?

Better, IMO. The layering of the different lines is nuts. And I like the goal layout better too -- instead of having to activate a specific goal and do it, most goals are active all the time, so you can skip back and forth no problem.

DFS.

I like the structure of the game, and it is better than THUG, but I'm just not enjoying myself as much as I did with THUG. It sorta feels like it's too little to justify full price despite it being a better game. If you don't have THUG, I'm thinking you should get that instead of THUG2 since it's like $15 now.

WarPig

Marty Chinn said:
I like the structure of the game, and it is better than THUG, but I'm just not enjoying myself as much as I did with THUG. It sorta feels like it's too little to justify full price despite it being a better game. If you don't have THUG, I'm thinking you should get that instead of THUG2 since it's like $15 now.

That's an interesting point, yeah. One wonders whether Neversoft may have packed too much stuff in its games for its own good -- I know I didn't come close to exhausting the complete potential of Hawk 4 or the original THUG.

DFS.

shpankey

not an idiot
thnx for the heads up fellas. my daughter played THUG on a GameCube kiosk and came away REALLY wanting the game something bad. well her b-day is approaching and I was trying to decide which game to get her (THUG 1 or 2). she loved THUG and sometimes a series can actually go downhill as it progresses. but i was entertaining the idea of getting her THUG 2 thinking it might even be better... but now i know to just get part 1, save money and make her happy with a better game.

thx!

Whoa, wait a second. THUG2 is better than THUG1 as far as game structure goes. I think the story and flow with regards how the game relates to the story is better in THUG1 so far. However, overall, THUG2 is probably a better and longer game. I was just saying that I don't think the difference is $35 better if you don't have either of them. THUG2 is a better game, but I think THUG1 is a better value since you can find it for around $15.

WarPig

I'll definitely agree that the story integration works better in THUG1. THUG2 is more of a series of comedy sketches than an actual narrative.

Also worth noting that if you don't want to expose your kid to some fairly vulgar, antisocial material (even if it is presented with tongue firmly in cheek), THUG1's a bit more sanitary.

DFS.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
It's been advertised to death on MTV and G4Ttv. It's gonna sell like flapjacks.

WarPig said:
Better, IMO. The layering of the different lines is nuts. And I like the goal layout better too -- instead of having to activate a specific goal and do it, most goals are active all the time, so you can skip back and forth no problem.

DFS.

Warpig... this answer will make my day....

Can you tell me.... if the double tapping glitch is still there?

Also can you name all the old levels from past TH games they've brought back? I heard the College is one of them...

I still don't "get" the walking around feature. The controls are awful, and it just looks silly. On the plus side, it makes getting from one place to another a bit simpler, which has often been a problem in this series. e.g. Need to get up a flight of stairs? Instead of doing a huge boneless up there or trying to grind around the side, just hop off the board and walk up there.

Mrbob

If by quiet you mean I've seen a ton of commercials for THUG2 then yes I agree. I enjoy the Tony Hawk games. I usually buy every other iteration (Skipped Tony Hawk, bought TH2. Skipped TH3 bought TH4. Skipped THUG may pick up THUG 2).

Although this time I may just pick up THUG since it's a Platinum Hits game and wait for THUG 2 to drop in price.

isamu said:
Also can you name all the old levels from past TH games they've brought back? I heard the College is one of them...

The Warehouse (first-ever Tony Hawk level) serves as the tutorial stage, and it's now got a huge secret area that at least doubles the level's size.

WarPig

isamu said:
Warpig... this answer will make my day....

Can you tell me.... if the double tapping glitch is still there?

I had to look up just what that glitch is (I'm not hardcore enough to know off the top of my head), but so far as I can tell, it's not there. I've done a bunch of double-tap grinds mid-combo and my balance meter doesn't reset.

I haven't gone though the classic mode to get the remixed levels yet, sadly, but the Warehouse is definitely in, because that's the first tutorial level you go to before kicking off the story mode.

DFS.

snapty00

Banned
Yeah. Although I believe the game sell well, I think it's fair to say that the series is definitely on the decline, that the "craze" isn't there anymore (and hasn't been for a while, in fact), and that Neversoft really ought to be looking at more alternative series/games for the not-so-distant future.

Drek

Bah. The first Tony Hawk was the best. I remember when it was demoed on the first Jampack disc and it was still an unknown title, my brothers and I played that demo for hours on end. Now its too over the top and not focused enough on the original gameplay that made it so good. Doesn't help that it's completely unrealistic now as well, the first at least made a pretense towards reality. ;P

WarPig

snapty00 said:
Yeah. Although I believe the game sell well, I think it's fair to say that the series is definitely on the decline, that the "craze" isn't there anymore (and hasn't been for a while, in fact), and that Neversoft really ought to be looking at more alternative series/games for the not-so-distant future.

Well, they're doing exactly that -- they'll be announcing a new game from a new team based on new original IP later this year.

DFS.

Raw64life

Wow completely forgot about this game. I might pick it up if I have the spare cash. I got sick of Tony Hawk after 3 and never played 4 or Underground 1 so hopefully the series has changed enough that it wont feel like the same game to me.

I really liked THUG. I thought I might be tired of it after 4, but THUG sorta put new life in the game for me. It really was the new structure of the game and how well it flowed with the story that kept me going. I'm just not feeling much interest in THUG2 so far. I can see that it's better, but it's hard for me to care right now. I can't help but to recommend THUG over THUG2 if you don't have either.

WarPig

buck naked said:
Speaking of action-sports games, what have Z-Axis been developing since Activision bought them?

Word under the table is that they're doing the Iron Man game, while 7 Studios (the Legion/Defender guys) are doing the Fantastic Four game. I think the Mat Hoffman franchise is basically dead now.

DFS.

Grubdog

Banned
Jonnyboy117 said:
The Warehouse (first-ever Tony Hawk level) serves as the tutorial stage, and it's now got a huge secret area that at least doubles the level's size.
Holy crap I love that stage, I remember playing that for hours and hours at a time when I first got the Tony Hawk demo. Ah, good times. Looking forward to THUG 2.

DFS.

List of songs? please do share. even though the soundtrack has been nothing close to what it was in thps 2 im still interested.

Dead

well not really...yet
* 25 Ta Life -- "Over the Years"
* 3 Inches of Blood -- "Deadly Sinners"
* Aesop Rock -- "No Jumper Cables"
* Atmosphere -- "Trying To Find A Balance"
* Audio Two -- "Top Billin"
* Brand Nubian -- "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down"
* Camaros -- "Cheesecake"
* The Casualties -- "Unknown Soldier"
* Cut Chemist -- "Drums of Fire"
* The D.O.C. -- "Whirlwind Pyramid"
* Das Oath -- "Awesome R***"
* Dead Boys -- "Sonic Reducer"
* Dead End Road -- "Sin City"
* The Doors -- "Break On Through (To The Other Side)"
* Distillers -- "Beat Your Heart Out"
* Disturbed -- "Liberate"
* Diverse -- "Certified"
* The Explosion -- "Here I Am"
* Faith No More -- "Mid Life Crisis"
* Fear -- "I Love Livin In The City"
* Frank Sinatra -- "That's Life"
* The Germs -- "Lexicon Devil"
* Grand Puba -- "I Like It"
* The Hiss -- "Back On The Radio"
* Handsome Boy Modeling School (with DJ Quest) -- "Holy Calamity"
* Jimmy Eat World -- "Pain"
* Johnny Cash -- "Ring of Fire"
* Joy Division -- "Warsaw"
* Lamb of God -- "Black Label"
* Less Than Jake -- "That's Why They Call It A Union"
* Libretto -- "Volume"
* The Living End -- "End of the World"
* Living Legends -- "Night Prowler"
* Melbeatz feat. Kool Savas -- "Grind On"
* Melvins -- "Sweet Willy Rollbar"
* Metallica -- "Whiplash"
* Mike V & the Rats -- "Never Give Up"
* Ministry -- "No W"
* Nebula -- "So It Goes"
* Operatic -- "Interested In Madness"
* Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth -- "Soul Brother #1"
* The Ramones -- "Rock 'N Roll High School"
* Rancid -- "Fall Back Down"
* Red Hot Chili Peppers -- "The Power of Equality"
* Steele Pulse -- "Born Fe Rebel"
* The Stooges -- "1970"
* Sugarhill Gang -- "Rappers Delight"
* Suicide Machines -- "High Anxiety"
* Ultramagnetic MC's -- "Ego Trippin"
* Violent Femmes -- "Add It Up"
* Ween -- "It's Gonna Be A Long Night"
* X -- "Los Angeles"
* Zeke -- "Long Train Running"

SWeet! i mean sweet in regards to seein the list, not for the actual quality of the songs. seriously folks, c'mon now...Frank Sinatra?

WEAK!

AeroGod

Phil = Sales!

For me at least. I might pick it up when a price drop comes. Just too much other stuff out now Id rather play. I love THPS though, 2nd on DC is my favorite. I own them all though

Top Bottom