• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever have a console launch as successful as the Dreamcast?

If I remember correctly, 19 games came some of which were quite amazing; Sonic Adventure, Ready 2 Rumble, Powerstone, Soul Calibur, just to name a few. It was definitely an extremely succesfull launch with more good games available then anyother systems launch IMHO. BTW, what was the name of the guy that orchestrated it? Because whoever it was, anyone would benefit greatly.

xexex

Banned
yeah the U.S. Dreamcast launch was by far the best console launch in all of videogame history. almost flawless. I was not there on launch day. I bought an asian Dreamcast without modem in april 1999, and then I got my U.S. Dreamcast in March 2000. so I totally missed out on 9/9/99 but from what I understand it was the best launch EVA.

I plopped down over $600 (plus tax) for the DC and a bunch of games, VMU, second controller and the joystick at launch. That's the only time I ever paid that much on any system's launch day.

Unison

I remember getting a DC, a 2nd Controller, a VGA adaptor, Sonic, Powerstone, Soul Calibur, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Blue Stinger, and a VMU on launch day, at least.

It's truly the best launch lineup ever. To this day the DC holds a special place in my heart. It felt like the one console that did almost everything right, at least in catering to me personally, in spite of its ultimate failure.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Speaking about US sales, the launches of DC, GC, and Xbox were so close in performance that each hold their own record for the fastest selling console ever depending on how much time is measured from release (such as two days, two weeks, or two months).

eh...I thought DC launch line-up was ok, but nothing special. I got Sonic, TXR, R2R, Blue Stinger and Sonic at launch, and Soul Calibur soon after. Sonic, TXR and Soul Calibur were great... R2R and Blue Stinger....fun for awhile.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
9.9.99 is still my favorite day in gaming history. That day was SO MUCH FUN.

Got a Dreamcast, a whole bunch of games, AND Final Fantasy VIII. FF VIII stayed in its shrinkwrap for days, too. :lol

Mario_Hugo

Lisa Edelstein's dad touched my private parts. True fact.
One of the most exciting days in my history as a gamer--which is now pretty much purely history. Other days include the day I got my Saturn (two days after surprise launch), Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64, Nights, Virtua Fighter 2 releases. Oh and Metatron will tell you how fucking awesome it was to get my Japanese Dreamcast on November 29th. ;)

Meier

It was a good launch. I had pre-ordered mine well in advance, so I got it, Soul Calibur, a VMU and extra controller on launch day with my free orange shirt.

aoi tsuki

Fatghost28 said:
Bernie Stolar is the devil. He killed the Saturn. :'(
No, by time Stolar came onboad with Sega, the Saturn was already in trouble. The difficulty finding skilled programmers to get solid 3D out of the system, along with the growing popularity of the Playstaion are two of numerous reasons why it failed. His comment that "Sega's future [isn't] with the Saturn" hurt at the time, but it was true. For better or worse, Sony had effectively killed 2D games in the US, which effectively killed the Saturn's chance of competing equally with the Playstation.

vireland

Originally Posted by Fatghost28:
Bernie Stolar is the devil. He killed the Saturn. :'(

The Saturn was stillborn and had nothing to do with Bernie Stolar.

Half true on both sides. BS didn't kill the Saturn in the US all by his lonesome, but he definitely hastened its demise by about 12-18 months, which was really stupid and shortsighted given that he had NOTHING to replace it with during that gap. He really, honestly thought he could "save" SEGA and change the laws of space and time as they related to hardware development by sheer force of will, speeding up the DC development and release to hit shortly after the Saturn was "killed". Suffice to say, that didn't work.

Top Bottom