• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Willie Mays RIP

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
scared ike broflovski GIF by South Park

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

calistan

This is probably a common take but I would say
Babe Ruth
Barry Bonds
Willie Mays

in some order, are the best 3 position players ever.
I'm English, so baseball doesn't mean much to me, but it does make some excellent movies. Wasn't Bonds disgraced for roids though?

I like how baseball has such reverance for its history. For our national sport here, the football/soccer league was restructured in 1991 to benefit the richest clubs, and a century of history was effectively erased. When anyone discusses top scorers, greatest players, etc, in the English league, there's no Babe Ruth equivalent and rarely any mention of what happened before 1991.

drganon

I'm English, so baseball doesn't mean much to me, but it does make some excellent movies. Wasn't Bonds disgraced for roids though?

I like how baseball has such reverance for its history. For our national sport here, the football/soccer league was restructured in 1991 to benefit the richest clubs, and a century of history was effectively erased. When anyone discusses top scorers, greatest players, etc, in the English league, there's no Babe Ruth equivalent and rarely any mention of what happened before 1991.
Yup. That's why he's not in the hall of fame. That and being a total jerk.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Na not really. Baseball writers are confirmed assholes and idiots. Most sensible people and fans know that everyone and their mother was juicing during this time and as well during the 80s and 90s before people even understood what was going on. Plenty of juicers in the hall of fame who were never caught. Pitchers were juiced to the gills as well.

diffusionx

Gold Member

the roid stuff is totally stupid. It's a bunch of boomer sportswriters high on their own farts. They all cheered on McGwire and Sosa. They all loved Clemens even after he threw a bat at Piazza in a fit of roid rage. Fact is, as I pointed out, players have been on drugs forever, and they are erasing an era of history in a pathetic attempt to take the moral high ground after the fact. Nobody under the age of 60 or so gives a shit about roids.

Once these guys die off all the players will be let into the HOF, it's just a fact.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Na not really. Baseball writers are confirmed assholes and idiots. Most sensible people and fans know that everyone and their mother was juicing during this time and as well during the 80s and 90s before people even understood what was going on. Plenty of juicers in the hall of fame who were never caught. Pitchers were juiced to the gills as well.
i think it was close to around 15% according to the leaked mlb study. over a 100 players out of the 750 MLB players tested.

But yes, lots of roiders like David Ortiz are in there. Baseball writers shouldve put Bonds, Clemens and others in the hall of fame based on their pre-steroid era performance.

Bonds never got any pitches to hit after the 2001 season and mostly hit around 40 homeruns after that anyway. Similar numbers to what he had been hitting through out his career. he wouldve hit around 660 homeruns like willie mays and considered one of the GOATs even without steroids. What a shame. he's the greatest hitter ive ever seen. no one from the modern era even comes close.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I believe you are referring to the testing which started in 2003. You are missing nearly 15-20 years of steroid and amphetamine use.
yep. thats the one that outed bonds, clemens and others. Ortiz's name was in there but he got in for some reason.

probably because he never tested positive again and posted a decade of great hitting, but you could say that about bonds and clemens too. i dont think they started taking steroids until late 90s. bonds only started taking steroids after mcguire and sosa went nuts in 1998.

i just think its bullshit that ortiz got in. especially when so many other pitchers were also taking it. i still remember the Gagne and Bonds at bat. Bonds beat out the best roided out pitcher throwing a 100 mph.

diffusionx

Gold Member
yep. thats the one that outed bonds, clemens and others. Ortiz's name was in there but he got in for some reason.

probably because he never tested positive again and posted a decade of great hitting, but you could say that about bonds and clemens too. i dont think they started taking steroids until late 90s. bonds only started taking steroids after mcguire and sosa went nuts in 1998.

i just think its bullshit that ortiz got in. especially when so many other pitchers were also taking it. i still remember the Gagne and Bonds at bat. Bonds beat out the best roided out pitcher throwing a 100 mph.
The only reason Ortiz got in and Bonds didn't is because Ortiz was nice to the writers and Bonds was a prick. So was Clemens. I fucking HATE Clemens yet the idea of him not being in the HOF is stupid.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People were doing roids in the 90s like it was candy and most did not try to hide it and its a huge blackeye on my sport

That said I first met Mr Mays in 1990 after one of our games in San Fran where the Giants handed us our asses and Mr Mays was one of the kindest gentlest souls I have ever had the pleasure of meeting

Truly a great person who is a legend in our sport

RIP

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Anyone here remember that Deep Space Nine episode about the Willie Mays card?

Edit: oh never mind I already brought it up.

Last edited:
I don't know why I didn't post sooner.

I'd say he is probably the greatest player of all time. He didn't change the way the game was played like Ruth, but he left his mark in a more competitive league and his WAR ain't far off from Babe.

RIP Willie Mays, The Say Hey Kid.

I wish someone had gotten him to sign more baseball cards where you know the autograph is authentic. I was shopping for one last year "before he dies and prices go nuts."

Top Bottom