• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Alpende

I have an issue with Dropbox. Everytime I connect my external HDD or iPod it keeps asking me if I want to upload my pictures, I keep clicking 'No, don't ask me again', yet it does.

Any way to fix this? I had this on W7 as well but it went away after a while.

Does anyone have a Vaio laptop and upgraded from Windows 7? Does everything work properly?

I'm wondering if I should try the upgrade now or wait for the drivers to be released by Sony.

I have an issue with Dropbox. Everytime I connect my external HDD or iPod it keeps asking me if I want to upload my pictures, I keep clicking 'No, don't ask me again', yet it does.

Man, Dropbox on OS X has always done this shit for my cameras SD cards. Fucking annoying.

Nugg

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out something I want to do, and I'm not sure it's even possible.

One of my computers is running Windows 7 on an old ass HDD. I want to upgrade to Windows 10, and at the same time move the system to a SSD. Can I even do that? The only way I can think of is a fresh Windows 7 install on that SSD and then upgrade it to 10, or is there some easier way?

Noaloha

Trying to work out why my GF's PC, on Win7, hasn't got the upgrade icon to ever show up.

I've googled all the things to check and her PC ticks all the boxes. The required updates are present, her PC is capable enough, the Windows version is legit etc.

Here's what I think is the problem, but I dont know enough about how the OS handles license or whatever to say for sure. It's a little convoluted, so bear with me.

Her PC came preinstalled with Win7. At a later date she purchased Win8 as an upgrade that she applied over her Win7. She says she got this digitally, not a disc. Then at a later-later date she downgraded back to her Win7, which I assume she did by factory-resetting her desktop.

At the point that she purchased a Win8 upgrade, would this have removed any Win10 rights for the initial Win7 license? And, as her PC is currently on that downgraded OS, this is why her W10 upgrade icon doesn't show up (the W7 OS 'purchase' is replaced by the new W8 license)?

The big stumper here is that she is failing utterly to access whatever email account she used at the point of the initial W7-to-W8 upgrade, so she can't find the documentation/details that might allow her to get back on the Win8 she bought.

(Does that make sense?)

Alternatively, can anyone think of any other reasons that a legit Win7 install with prereq requirements might still have yet to get the upgrade icon?

Phyranion

Trying to work out why my GF's PC, on Win7, hasn't got the upgrade icon to ever show up.

I've googled all the things to check and her PC ticks all the boxes. The required updates are present, her PC is capable enough, the Windows version is legit etc.

Here's what I think is the problem, but I dont know enough about how the OS handles license or whatever to say for sure. It's a little convoluted, so bear with me.

Her PC came preinstalled with Win7. At a later date she purchased Win8 as an upgrade that she applied over her Win7. She says she got this digitally, not a disc. Then at a later-later date she downgraded back to her Win7, which I assume she did by factory-resetting her desktop.

At the point that she purchased a Win8 upgrade, would this have removed any Win10 rights for the initial Win7 license? And, as her PC is currently on that downgraded OS, this is why her W10 upgrade icon doesn't show up (the W7 OS 'purchase' is replaced by the new W8 license)?

The big stumper here is that she is failing utterly to access whatever email account she used at the point of the initial W7-to-W8 upgrade, so she can't find the documentation/details that might allow her to get back on the Win8 she bought.

(Does that make sense?)

Alternatively, can anyone think of any other reasons that a legit Win7 install with prereq requirements might still have yet to get the upgrade icon?
Is she running Windows 7 Enterprise? Enterprise doesn't get Windows 10.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out something I want to do, and I'm not sure it's even possible.

One of my computers is running Windows 7 on an old ass HDD. I want to upgrade to Windows 10, and at the same time move the system to a SSD. Can I even do that? The only way I can think of is a fresh Windows 7 install on that SSD and then upgrade it to 10, or is there some easier way?

nope. Whatever you do will be a multi-step process. You can't install win10 direct, only upgrade from win 7. So either:

- clone your HDD to the SSD, swap drives and boot from your new SSD and then upgrade to win10

or

- upgrade to win 10 on your HDD, then clone to your SSD.

I bought a kit off amazon which included a 2.5" drive caddy and USB3.0 cable, which you plug the SSD into; and a license for a copy of Acronis backup which you can use to clone your HDD. I think EaseUS todo backup free may also clone for you, not sure.

So, I have my SP3 fully updated, even with the last cumulative patch, but I still got the non-WiFi-unless-you-restart-bug every now and then, some process still go wild on CPU usage and that the toll on battery life, and even if some apps like the mail have got at least a post launch update it still hangs on occasion, crashes, and it's way behind outlook.com feature wise.

And to make things worse, there's still no way to sending OneDrive files through email, if they are not synced to the PC, unless you go to the website and create a link for whatever you want to share. Because Ms for whatever reason though it was ok to launch if less functionality than win 8, and that only OWA users are worth of the Send from OneDrive functionality.

Please someone tell me there's a huge patch, and app updates coming soon that fixes everything.

(Does that make sense?)

Have you tried upgrading directly using the upgrade tool. If so, did it not work?

So, I have my SP3 fully updated, even with the last cumulative patch, but I still got the non-WiFi-unless-you-restart-bug every now and then, some process still go wild on CPU usage and that the toll on battery life, and even if some apps like the mail have got at least a post launch update it still hangs on occasion, crashes, and it's way behind outlook.com feature wise.
My WiFi is forever dropping on both my XPS and Surface 3.

Bluetooth is acting up too. My keyboard and mouse drop out when returning form sleep. When I go in to the settings they flick between paired, connected and driver error over and over until I restart.

derFeef

And to make things worse, there's still no way to sending OneDrive files through email, if they are not synced to the PC, unless you go to the website and create a link for whatever you want to share. Because Ms for whatever reason though it was ok to launch if less functionality than win 8, and that only OWA users are worth of the Send from OneDrive functionality.

Please someone tell me there's a huge patch, and app updates coming soon that fixes everything.

Not having wild issues like you with my SP3, but then it was pretty clean before upgrading to 10. I have not looked at CPU usage yet but will do so because the fan starts randomly recently (it's pretty hot ehre though).

No issues with the mail app either, but the multi account management is pretty bad.

Nugg

nope. Whatever you do will be a multi-step process. You can't install win10 direct, only upgrade from win 7. So either:

- clone your HDD to the SSD, swap drives and boot from your new SSD and then upgrade to win10

or

- upgrade to win 10 on your HDD, then clone to your SSD.

I bought a kit off amazon which included a 2.5" drive caddy and USB3.0 cable, which you plug the SSD into; and a license for a copy of Acronis backup which you can use to clone your HDD. I think EaseUS todo backup free may also clone for you, not sure.

Thanks, I'm probably going to do that.

Noaloha

José Mourinho;175002771 said:
Have you tried upgrading directly using the upgrade tool. If so, did it not work?

We haven't tried that, no. I've been under the impression (or assumption, rather) that the tool in some way requires the icon to be present, if only for the system to eventually authorise the upgrade at the end of the procedure. I'm not 100% comfortable trusting that it would go through fine. I assume there was some line of authorisation code embedded somewhere on our OSes which her PC doesn't have now, so no upgrade icon. If the upgrade tool simply looks at "is this win7/8? yes: install W10." then great, but I can't see it being that simple, since I assume the upgrade tool wouldn't work for a low spec Windows version or a ripped off Windows, etc.

I'll keep the option in my back pocket as a 'last thing to try' sorta thing unless anyone can allay my doubts.

jelly

If you had to buy Windows 10 like other releases rather than getting a free upgrade would your opinion on it change ?

mm04

The store doesn't update my apps and I can't install anything new :(

There's a command line .exe that resets your windows store cache. That fixed it for me. If I weren't at the airport, I'd provide more detail, but that should give you a start on where to look.

Edit: Here it is. WSreset.exe. Executes in seconds but leaves the window open if I recall correctly. Just reboot at that point and it should be fine.

How essential is it that I format the drive once Windows 10 is installed so I can reinstall it on a clean hard drive? Are there still so many Windows 8 files on it? Is the computer slowed down substantially? The computer is my mother's and she doesn't do anything on it except use Word and browsing the Internet.

teiresias

How essential is it that I format the drive once Windows 10 is installed so I can reinstall it on a clean hard drive? Are there still so many Windows 8 files on it? Is the computer slowed down substantially? The computer is my mother's and she doesn't do anything on it except use Word and browsing the Internet.

Honestly, it depends on how old the Win 8 install was before you did the upgrade and mucked up it already was. My Win 8 was refusing to do anymore Windows Updates so I did a clean install of Win 8 prior to the upgrade anyway and don't really feel the need to do an actual clean install again since it seems to be running without hitches thus far. I did the upgrade on a basically clean install of Win8 though (minus the updates that were required to do the upgrade - I used t he media creation tool to do the upgrade).

I'd say see if she complains about performance issues first before going through it.

Honestly, it depends on how old the Win 8 install was before you did the upgrade and mucked up it already was. My Win 8 was refusing to do anymore Windows Updates so I did a clean install of Win 8 prior to the upgrade anyway and don't really feel the need to do an actual clean install again since it seems to be running without hitches thus far. I did the upgrade on a basically clean install of Win8 though (minus the updates that were required to do the upgrade - I used t he media creation tool to do the upgrade).

I'd say see if she complains about performance issues first before going through it.

We received the computer yesterday and immediately installed W10.

I guess I don't need to do a clean install.

teiresias

We received the computer yesterday and immediately installed W10.

I guess I don't need to do a clean install.

Was it a "big box" computer - ie. not home or independently built? I'd almost do a clean install just to get rid of the pre-installed bloatware (though that may get rid of Office if she's relying on one that came with the machine - though I'm not sure if that's even a thing anymore).

Was it a "big box" computer - ie. not home or independently built? I'd almost do a clean install just to get rid of the pre-installed bloatware (though that may get rid of Office if she's relying on one that came with the machine - though I'm not sure if that's even a thing anymore).

It's an Acer computer. Yeah, it did come with some pre-installed software. I think I'll just manually remove them one-by-one.

They seem to have fixed the sleep issue, at least on my Surface Pro 2.

Anyone else still have issues with their computer not sleeping?

Setsuna

If I link a hotmail account to windows 10 is that going to require me to sign in on boot, or does it not change anything?

If I link a hotmail account to windows 10 is that going to require me to sign in on boot, or does it not change anything?

No. I linked a Hotmail/Outlook account to the default Mail app but I don't have any online account linked to the computer/Windows itself.

Most of those things that want you to link your online account to Windows have an option that allows you to only login to the app. Look for it when you are adding your accounts; I forget what it specifically says.

hesido

TLDR; don't upgrade yet.

My initial impressions (Samsung NP550 user):
  • It really seems to like writing stuff to logs left and right. Always a bit of sdd activity. Tho this may be psychological.
  • It is window system is buggy. Sometimes the window briefly appears, only to fade away again, this happened to me on "change account settings window". It just refused to display itself. Had to close the window from the task bar, re open.
  • When I was re-activating my CS3 installation, suddenly no other windows were clickable, some of the were navigatable through the task manager but not all. Even the windows "start" button refused to work for that while, until the CS3 gave a network error. So an app was almost hanging, it brought the windows gui to its knees. Something that didn't happen since Windows XP. I don't welcome this.
  • It really likes to flash blank screens especially during loading, changing users etc. Doesn't look as polished and sturdy as Windows 8.
  • On my system, my clean boot times increased closer to HDD levels. Windows 8 became blitzing fast after the SSD upgrade, the desktop was operational really fast even from a cold boot. Now it takes much longer time for desktop to become visible, let alone have all startup apps load themselves. This is not even psycological, no, I'm not getting used to SSD boot speeds to think it is slower now. It's frigging slower.
  • Do not consider upgrading to this just yet, if you are content with Windows 8. I had to try this out to see if it would fix a keyboard input problem that was a very tough not to crack (it didn't, had to get creative fixing it, GAF helped as always).

They seem to have fixed the sleep issue, at least on my Surface Pro 2.

Anyone else still have issues with their computer not sleeping?

Sleep is still broken on my computer. It goes into sleep but when I try to wake it up, the computer turns on for maybe 2 seconds, then shuts down completely. I then have to push the power button to turn it on. Really annoying as I use sleep a lot.

It is. Look for Klondike.

Ah, I'm stupid. Thanks. :)

The reading list app updated!

With a notice that we should use Edge now instead :/

It's comical their suggestion to move items: you just have to open all the items in the reading list app, and re add them to edge (without any category support, and do that on every device)

I mean like, how they are not ashamed in even suggesting this?

Really, if you guys want us to use the browser make the damn reading list on it worth our while first. Make it sync the hundreds of stuff I already added on the dedicated app, the categories, and them start adding features like offline reading and so on.

The reading list app updated!

With a notice that we should use Edge now instead :/

It's comical their suggestion to move items: you just have to open all the items in the reading list app, and re add them to edge (without any category support, and do that on every device)

I mean like, how they are not ashamed in even suggesting this?

Really, if you guys want us to use the browser make the damn reading list on it worth our while first. Make it sync the hundreds of stuff I already added on the dedicated app, the categories, and them start adding features like offline reading and so on.

Why is the Edge reading list a separate reading list? And doesn't work from any other applications on Windows?

After my computer has been running for a while, my start menu starts to lag. I press the Win key or click on the start menu then after like 5 seconds, the menu appears. And search also stops working. I've been working around this by shutting off Cortana through the task manager but this always comes back after a while.

Anyone know of a more permanent fix?

clav

After my computer has been running for a while, my start menu starts to lag. I press the Win key or click on the start menu then after like 5 seconds, the menu appears. And search also stops working. I've been working around this by shutting off Cortana through the task manager but this always comes back after a while.

Anyone know of a more permanent fix?

Turn off fast boot.

Seems like Windows 10's implementation of it is problematic as it worked fine in 8.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know why sometimes a window will go semi transparent and your cursor turns into a red pushpin? Often happens to me when arranging Windows and I'm dragging one window over another. Once it happens I can never get the window to go back to being opaque

Donos

Hmm, there came a video ad yesterday on my desktop, i think from the W10 video/movie app. Since i have all these shitty rules off i was really suprised. Hope this doesn't happen again. Don't know what triggered it.

My Surface Pro 2's charger just started sparking so obviously that's out of the wall to never be used again. Can I just buy the one the 3 uses or is it different?

Werd

My Surface Pro 2's charger just started sparking so obviously that's out of the wall to never be used again. Can I just buy the one the 3 uses or is it different?

That happened to me too! That side charger bit creates bad angles if you don't have the power cable coming from an ideal position... and it's hooked directly into the power brick so you can't even just replace the cable.

SP3 charger is completely different, have to find a SP1/2 one. I was still under warranty so they replaced it for me.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Still waiting on my upgrade. Ugh. I may just buy a copy.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0/d695e827-9774-4e10-8972-df8d51a7bb51?auth=1

Make that registry edit/addition and you should be good to go. I did it for a family member's laptop and it worked flawlessly. I think you can also just download the iso through the media creation tool and install it that way, but I have no experience with that as the download speed through the tool was too slow for me.

E: Welp, bottom of the page but hopefully you see this.

JaggedSac

I think there is a large patch coming in October. Not sure if OneDrive stuff is in there.

Top Bottom