• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 |OT| Something Happened? Something Happened.

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I've got Cyberfox pinned on my taskbar and yet when I open it up another Cyberfox icon pops up right next to it. It bugs me.

LoG2whA.png

see5harp

Groove is a suitable media player because it plays music files it's honestly not any faster with searching or playing music files. I hate when apps hide the volume slider and force the user to press a button, which is why I'll never use their video app either. Say what you want about iTunes and how it's bloated, but I actually use most of the features. If all you want to do is play music files you can go back and use windows explorer and winamp.

I recommend everyone to check out the Feedback app. Many issues are mentioned there and you should definitely upvote them. Microsoft has shown over the span of the technical preview that they do take this seriously.

Some of the biggest issues are very straightforward and are surely going to be addressed (lack of unified inbox in the mail app, for example), so I wouldn't really bother with those.

If you have a particular issue that isn't on the first page of the category, use the search function. Chances are high that someone has already added that feedback and you only have to upvote it.
You can also filter and sort the already submitted feedback.

iirate

Anyone know how to fix this problem? I've got Cyberfox pinned on my taskbar and yet when I open it up another Cyberfox icon pops up right next to it. It bugs me.

LoG2whA.png

I'm having the exact same issue with the Battle.net Launcher. Issue popped up more than a week after I upgraded, and hasn't gone away since.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I recommend everyone to check out the Feedback app. Many issues are mentioned there and you should definitely upvote them. Microsoft has shown over the span of the technical preview that they do take this seriously.

Some of the biggest issues are very straightforward and are surely going to be addressed (lack of unified inbox in the mail app, for example), so I wouldn't really bother with those.

If you have a particular issue that isn't on the first page of the category, use the search function. Chances are high that someone has already added that feedback and you only have to upvote it.
You can also filter and sort the already submitted feedback.

I like not having a unified inbox. If they fix it, I hope it isn't forced on us. I had to use metro mail to keep my work separate from home stuff before.

Altazor

I'm having the exact same issue with the Battle.net Launcher. Issue popped up more than a week after I upgraded, and hasn't gone away since.

had this happen to me with MusicBee, and I "fixed" it by downloading a patched version of the .exe (by the dev)... so I guess you have to wait for a Battle.net update. It seems a lot of people are having the same issue and reporting it on the Bnet forums but to no avail.

iirate

had this happen to me with MusicBee, and I "fixed" it by downloading a patched version of the .exe (by the dev)... so I guess you have to wait for a Battle.net update. It seems a lot of people are having the same issue and reporting it on the Bnet forums but to no avail.

Okay, thanks. I should've checked the forums, but I honestly didn't look anywhere for a fix until now. I saw a similar issue posted in this thread and thought to post.

I like not having a unified inbox. If they fix it, I hope it isn't forced on us. I had to use metro mail to keep my work separate from home stuff before.

It should definitely be optional. It's in all the other Outlook apps, too.

But that was really just one example.

Piano

Banned
If I sign into the Xbox App will that make my offline account linked to my Microsoft account? I'm trying to keep it offline but want to use the functionality of the app.

edit: the answer is no

NeonBlack

Has anyone else been having issues with the UI not responding to the mouse?
ex. The mouse is visible and over the taskbar location but the taskbar won't show.
I use the window button to get it to show but hovering the mouse over anything and clicking does nothing.
I have to resort to using the arrow keys or restarting my pc.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
anyone having this issue? I tried disabling Windows Defender and my connection (wired, router) goes down. When I turn WD back on, the issue disappears. Anyone know wtf is going on?

My Surface Pro 2 still doesn't sleep. It always pops awake after 10-30 seconds.

It's like I sleep it, then Something Happened. Then it Sleeps again. Then Something Happened. Sigh.

New update.

Revision 16433.
None of this updates are changing my build string. They all say they install successfully, but I've been on 16384 since "final".
My Surface Pro 2 still doesn't sleep. It always pops awake after 10-30 seconds.

It's like I sleep it, then Something Happened. Then it Sleeps again. Then Something Happened. Sigh.
Yeah, mine won't sleep. I'm about to do a clean install to hopefully wipe out a few nagging bugs, that one included.

If you run command prompt as admin and type in "powercfg -requests" (without quotes), do you get the following?
Code:
SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0280&SUBSYS_10EC104E&REV_1000\4&2aee3be3&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Yeah, mine won't sleep. I'm about to do a clean install to hopefully wipe out a few nagging bugs, that one included.

If you run command prompt as admin and type in "powercfg -requests" (without quotes), do you get the following?
Code:
SYSTEM:
[DRIVER] Realtek High Definition Audio (HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0280&SUBSYS_10EC104E&REV_1000\4&2aee3be3&0&0001)
An audio stream is currently in use.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Mine says:

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Mine says:

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

EXECUTION:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

Huh, strange. That command should tell you what, if anything is preventing your machine from sleeping.

I'm still waiting on my Dell Venue Pro 8 to get the notification that I can upgrade.

I've tried at least 3 times to install it manually, but I always get the "Something happened" with an error code after it tries to install.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Noticing that Windows will shutdown my laptop only to boot up again and see the UEFI logo flash and then flash to the shutting down screen.

What a mess.

Definitely fastboot is not working as intended.

Sorry to be OT but:
I had this similar issue on my PC for a year with windows 8.1 when I power the computer on
Did you fix it?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm still waiting on my Dell Venue Pro 8 to get the notification that I can upgrade.

I've tried at least 3 times to install it manually, but I always get the "Something happened" with an error code after it tries to install.

you know I've had the same issue for two weeks, upgrading my Windows 7 Ulti to 10 and always getting the "something happened" message. I said fuck it, made a bootable DVD and fresh installed

just noticed I'm surfing internet and the icon in the taskbar says I have no internet. Lol

Had to roll back to W8 on my laptop. At least I managed to get that activated again, now have to download all updates again and upgrade back to 10.

rivalneo

Neo Member
Just upgraded from Windows 7 today, but have a problem signing in with a microsoft account. I go to settings/accounts select sign in with a Microsoft account instead, but after a short delay just get a message saying something went wrong, try again later. Same happens with the xbox app in Windows 10. I can sign in on my Microsoft account fine on the ms website/xbox live etc. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Is there any sort of fix for the Surface Pro 2 issue where it doesn't stay in sleep mode and raising the cover no longer works either? Two updates and still nothing :/

UltraJay

Had to roll back to W8 on my laptop. At least I managed to get that activated again, now have to download all updates again and upgrade back to 10.

You can use the upgrade tool like I did to go straight to 10 from 8. The tool that's used to make installation media? Use the normal upgrade option on that. It is what I did from freshly installed Windows 8 (not 8.1) and I'm now back in a fully activated Windows 10. I had to do this because I tried a clean install from the Insider Preview but couldn't activate Windows 10 because I hadn't gone from Windows 8. Once you do the upgrade once Windows will remember that you activated it and you can do a clean install and skip any key prompts.

I actually have a problem now that I got Windows 10 back. I had Cortana working here in the Insider Preview but now I can't get it activated. I'm in Australia but there were no problems with changing my region before (and I have an American accent so there is no problem there). All my region settings say English (United States) except Display language which is set to UK and I can't change it for some reason.

That shouldn't prevent me from using Cortana since it works for the UK as well! Changing my region should be all I need to do. I think this has to do with my Windows 8 install only allowing my to select English (UK) as my initial language but Cortana should still be available.

Huh, strange. That command should tell you what, if anything is preventing your machine from sleeping.

Other reports I've seen of this sleep issue also show nothing interesting in powercfg -requests.

It's something that has to do with Windows itself. There isn't anything running that is keeping our SP2's awake.

Been enjoying windows 10 so far, except for when using file explorer
Coming from windows 7 having FE be split into top/bottom screen panels, I cannot seem to get the sides to span the entire monitor's width. I've searched for a solution but nothing useful. Is there something I'm missing or should I just start learning to live with it?

You can use the upgrade tool like I did to go straight to 10 from 8. The tool that's used to make installation media? Use the normal upgrade option on that. It is what I did from freshly installed Windows 8 (not 8.1) and I'm now back in a fully activated Windows 10. I had to do this because I tried a clean install from the Insider Preview but couldn't activate Windows 10 because I hadn't gone from Windows 8. Once you do the upgrade once Windows will remember that you activated it and you can do a clean install and skip any key prompts.

I actually have a problem now that I got Windows 10 back. I had Cortana working here in the Insider Preview but now I can't get it activated. I'm in Australia but there were no problems with changing my region before (and I have an American accent so there is no problem there). All my region settings say English (United States) except Display language which is set to UK and I can't change it for some reason.

That shouldn't prevent me from using Cortana since it works for the UK as well! Changing my region should be all I need to do. I think this has to do with my Windows 8 install only allowing my to select English (UK) as my initial language but Cortana should still be available.

I did this, worked perfectly. Thanks!

Raxious

Guys, how would this work on a Surface Pro. It had Windows 8 pre-installed so I don't have a windows key. Now what I'd wanna do is upgrade to W10, and then do a clean install of W10.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, how would this work on a Surface Pro. It had Windows 8 pre-installed so I don't have a windows key. Now what I'd wanna do is upgrade to W10, and then do a clean install of W10.

You can do a Refresh from within Windows 10 itself once it's installed, which is just as good as a clean install as far as I understand.

Are they just going to go ahead and never make this function like it did in Windows 8 and 7?

378d3ef0952885a56394098121b658ff.png

Function hasn't worked since early preview when using a slideshow background. Supposed to pick a color every time a picture shows up, but it only picks a color from the one that's up when you turn the feature on.

Question for Chrome users....

so i updated to 10 yesterday and now in chrome the very top where the tabs are is all white instead of the transparent like it was. Is this due to 10 for some reason or is chrome just weird on 10 right now?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Still getting random hardlocks when I wake my monitor from power-save mode. Not the actual sleep mode (as that has the lovely effect of not turning my CPU fan back on after I wake the computer) but the regular monitor standby.

It's infuriating, I can go away for 15 minutes, come back and it locks up when I try to wake the monitor, I have no idea what could be causing this either as the Event Manager doesn't give me much to go by.

What's odd is that if I'm not using the computer for hours it can resume normally, so it's nothing to do with time or anything.

Are they just going to go ahead and never make this function like it did in Windows 8 and 7?

378d3ef0952885a56394098121b658ff.png

Function hasn't worked since early preview when using a slideshow background. Supposed to pick a color every time a picture shows up, but it only picks a color from the one that's up when you turn the feature on.

I hope the Accent Colour stuff is just borked, preview builds let you pick one and it would stick in *all* Windows, browsers, folders, you name it. It was rather nice to be able to customize the way titlebars looked but now it's all just that sad grayish white for all of 'em. Kinda sucks if they won't let you customize more, that was the main reason I was excited for 10 in the first place :p

Goldrush

Any ways to get the multi colored tiles back, automatically assigned colors preferred? The uniform look is nice, but my eyes kind of glaze over the whole thing.

sangreal

Any ways to get the multi colored tiles back, automatically assigned colors preferred? The uniform look is nice, but my eyes kind of glaze over the whole thing.

This has been bothering me too

it's not really uniform anyway, since all the metro apps still have custom tiles

Top Bottom