• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 11 reaches 30% install base

Are you using Windows 11?

• Yes, I'm already using Windows 11

Votes: 128 51.4%
  • No, I'm sticking with Windows 10

Votes: 82 32.9%
  • I'm using Linux/MacOS

Votes: 26 10.4%
  • I'm happy using Windows 95

Votes: 13 5.2%

• Total voters

winjer

According to Statcounter, Windows 11 reached a new record, with 29.71% of Windows version market share.
Meanwhile, Windows 10 dropped to 66.1%.

wjsMwPb.jpeg

I'm on 11 with my main gaming PC. It works, Have not had any show stopping issues. I did the steps to make the UI as close to the old 10 look, including the right click commands.
BUT
I'm seeing what I can only describe as things moving around that I don't want moving around. Everytime windows updates it hides the xbox icon in the task menu. The weather and news app moved this week from one side of the bar to the other.
What up wit dat?

Wildebeest

Practically zero reasons to upgrade, but they make it a pain to the rear end to upgrade and make it sound like they are just trying to make you agree to giving away your rights as users.

Antwix

I hate massive UI changes so I'm sticking with Win10 for as long as I can, until support runs out. If I need to for whatever reason do a fresh install, I'll switch but everything's working great with Win10 so I'm happy staying.

Would this be considered a slow adaptation? It seemed that Windows 10 was taken up much faster.
I think that's because everyone hated Windows 8 so much.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
No opinion on windows 11 but, about your stat, you'll find 30% morons in any society.
30% of people voted far right in France last weekend.

radewagon

I updated when it came out. Never really saw a reason not to. I think, generally, being able to concretely dislike a new OS requires a level of prerequisite skill that I simply do not have. It's all the same to me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Bojji

Gold Member
No opinion on windows 11 but, about your stat, you'll find 30% morons in any society.
30% of people voted far right in France last weekend.

They were just tired of leftist dumbfucks ruining the society and life for normal folks. Like how only Europe has to limit itself while rest of the countries don't give the fuck about climate change and garbage in the oceans (and of course Europe is one of the smallest contributors to that anyway). Illegal immigration is another massive problem...

Does win 11 have anything to offer that win 10 doesn't?

Auto HDR and HDR calibration tool. Maybe better direct storage implementation in the future? But we don't know that at the moment.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would this be considered a slow adaptation? It seemed that Windows 10 was taken up much faster.
Very slow. In fact, maybe one of the slowest I can recall in the history of Windows. Windows 10 ends support in October of next year, so I guess 2/3rds of all Windows users have about 15 months to either upgrade or risk running an unsupported OS.

ssringo

Gold Member
Built a new high end PC a few months back and upgraded to W11 at that time. Does everything I need/want just like W10 did.

dotnotbot

I'm forced to use win11 cause I got new laptop, I would downgrade to win10 if I could cause win11 looks ugly IMO and u can't move taskbar to the side without some "mods".

Last edited:

nkarafo

Windows 11 annoy me. I need to do more clicks and actions to do the same things i used to do in Windows 10. I switched back and won't return, might as well stop getting updates for all i care.

Raelgun

Very slow. In fact, maybe one of the slowest I can recall in the history of Windows. Windows 10 ends support in October of next year, so I guess 2/3rds of all Windows users have about 15 months to either upgrade or risk running an unsupported OS.
MS are apprently going to sell the Extended Security Update support to consumers as well after this October 2025 period - they havent released pricing yet though, it's US$61 per year per device for businesses.

I'd imagine (hope) the consumer plan will be a lot cheaper🤞

proandrad

Yes, that's clear, but what else?
A lot better HDR support, if you have the hardware to support it. Other than, it's the same. I usually give it 2-3 years before I update, to give it some time to work out some of the bugs. Right now it's at the point that it's the same as 10 with better HDR support. If you have an HDR monitor or are building a new pc I would go with windows 11, otherwise just make sure you update before windows 10 support ends.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
I tried to upgrade as rarely as possible. I dislike changing OS. I waited as long as possible to upgrade from 7 and at the time moving to 10 made sense. I'm sticking to 10 until it reaches the end of its lifecycle and is no longer updated.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Does win 11 have anything to offer that win 10 doesn't?

Tabs in explorer? Dunno is it's possible in Win 10 anymore, but that's at least one function I use all the time in 11. It feels weird having to go back and forth between different explorer windows now, everytime I work with 10.

Other than that? Haven't found anything substantial that really stands out. At least nothing I can remember now. They make the settings messier and messier for each iteration.

dave_d

Pretty much. What a horrid piece of shit that was.

We still have servers at work (Server 2012?) that have that ridiculous interface that I have to log into occasionally.
I used Windows 8 for quite awhile but with Classic Shell installed. (Setup that way it was actually good.) The original UI of Windows 8 was garbage.

nush

Gold Member
It's a pain to find out how you can install your own software without having to be forced to the Windows store "For your own benefit".

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'm on 11 with my main gaming PC. It works, Have not had any show stopping issues. I did the steps to make the UI as close to the old 10 look, including the right click commands.
BUT
I'm seeing what I can only describe as things moving around that I don't want moving around. Everytime windows updates it hides the xbox icon in the task menu. The weather and news app moved this week from one side of the bar to the other.
What up wit dat?
Same here. Often times, some of my pins at the bottom of my desktop will simply be gone or rearranged in some capacity after big updates. It's not awful, just.... irritating.

Last edited:
Well let's be real - Windows 11 is an incremental update. Sure, it has some neat features but it is not XP to 7 (Vista ignore) or 7 to 10 (8 ignore) jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom