• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I just noticed that the default Lock Screen photos are gone now. Is there a way to get them back without searching online for them?

Updating has been a pain. Nothing is syncing right and my Microsoft account is gone.

zedge

Was in Best Buy and Future Shop today and notice they are going all out with Windows. Huge area with tables and displays in both stores.

Pretty much identical to this. Probably old news but first time I have seen it.

681994bad48011e2b13c12313d173966.JPG

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Was in Best Buy and Future Shop today and notice they are going all out with Windows. Huge area with tables and displays in both stores.

Nice, which store were you at? I new they were doing this in the States, wasn't sure when they were going to do it in Canada.

aznpxdd

Hm...a lot of my programs are looking blurry after updating. I'm on a 11.6" 1080p screen, so I've turned text to "medium" size under display since its way too small at regular scaling. It used to look fine before update, now some of the programs' text are very blurry, anyone know a fix to this or what's up?

Guri

So I got my update to work, I clicked download on the store, and the circles kept going round and round, I continued to do my stuff in desktop mode. Randomly I got a prompt that my computer will restart multiple times during the installation of windows 8.1 and tah-dah it worked!

Great!

Razdek

Banned

Yea it's nice that they built this space to show off the Windows products and give items like the Surface a lot of exposure. One station I saw they had 6-8 surfaces on display with the different covers.

zedge

Yea it's nice that they built this space to show off the Windows products and give items like the Surface a lot of exposure. One station I saw they had 6-8 surfaces on display with the different covers.
I love that its 5 times the size of the apple displays..lol.

Those having problems with their Internet connection should try to modify their DNS configurations. The default is to detect the settings automatically, so use a fixed config.
Windows 8.1 changed the way the OS retrieves this information, so it may be crashing with your modem firmware if it hasn't been updated.

I changed them to use Google Open DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), but any other should work.

Jzero

Man, they kind of fucked up the network connections part of the OS. Before i could right click my wi-Fi connection and see how much data i had used so far and other fun information. Now it's completely gone.

jediyoshi

Might go back to 8 on my laptop. My last compatible amd legacy video card drivers aren't compatible anymore and my bluetooth adapter doesn't show up. Even if it did, those drivers aren't compatible anymore either.

Link Man

Banned
So yeah, got tired of the semi-transparent taskbar. Figured out a simple soltuion.

1. Take a screenshot of desktop (PrintScreen).
2. Go into an image editing program (in my case, GIMP).
3. Create an image from clipboard.
4. Create an extra layer.
5. Create a selection around the taskbar area.
6. Fill with black.
7. Save and use as wallpaper.

It's so much better now.

Kabuto

so I'm thinking of upgrading from a 64gb ssd to a 500gb one. I'm really dumb on installing OS's so how do I install 8.1 on the new ssd? and how do I transfer stuff from my old ssd to the new one?

stktt

Banned
So yeah, got tired of the semi-transparent taskbar. Figured out a simple soltuion.

6. Fill with black.

It's so much better now.

You could also try this.

blamite

what in the actual fuck.
upgrading from 8.1 beta to 8.1 final
must reinstall every program on my computer.

I had these programs for fucking years.
consider me infuriated beyond comprehension.

no back ups, no anything. fuck this fucking shit.
Same exact problem for me. Fuck this.

But you knew that before installing the preview.. That's why I and many others stayed away from the preview builds.
Uhh, no we didn't. They said I'd have to reinstall all my apps, which a tech company as big as Microsoft is should know is a word that has very specific connotations that go along with it. They never said this would happen.

strata8

Uhh, no we didn't. They said I'd have to reinstall all my apps, which a tech company as big as Microsoft is should know is a word that has very specific connotations that go along with it. They never said this would happen.

They sure sound a lot like your own connotations to me.

Hasney

They sure sound a lot like your own connotations to me.

Agreed. 'Apps' has been thrown around as a word for all programs for at least a couple of years now. Was going to try the preview build until I saw that I would lose everything.

Jzero

That really does sound like it's your fault. Especially because you guys weren't smart enough to create backups. It's called a beta for a reason.

Alx

I'm having my first annoying issue with 8.1 RT : I had two accounts on my Surface RT, one "personal" and one "professional". My personal one was attached to my MS account, and the professional was a local one.
The thing is, I was using Skydrive with my professional account to retrieve different files. It worked fine before, but since the update it asks me to attach the pro account to the MS account to retrieve the data, and then don't let me do it since another attached account (the personal one) already exists on the tablet.

I can't find a good solution for that. I could use a single account, but there goes the benefit of having different dashboards for different use (I'd need to hide all the shortcuts to games, comics and gaming forums for example)

Moozo

I upgraded from preview 8.1 to final with no issues although of course it does involve a workaround of a sort. Will edit in details in a second.

Edit: Just realized it seems like you already did this, bummer :/

Copied from Major's quoting of the poster below

The only thing you have to do is create a bootable disk for the 8.1 iso you can acquire via the method above, go into the source folder, and change the host build info to the preview build's number. You can then upgrade via the method described above. Takes 20 minutes if that.
Guide I followed: here

Just in addition to this, for anyone else on the preview wanting to keep their programs, you can mount the iso virtually rather than putting on USB or DVD. I followed this guide

Nice. I have a feeling it's going to be a big holiday for Windows and Ultrabooks because of 8.1 after people penting up demand from Windows 8.

I've got one item in my Device Manager that hasn't installed as it says there's no driver for it. Is there any way I can find out what it is? It mentions "AHCI Device Controller" when I right click and look at the properties, I think (going from memory as my laptop is at home and I'm at work).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Those having problems with their Internet connection should try to modify their DNS configurations. The default is to detect the settings automatically, so use a fixed config.
Windows 8.1 changed the way the OS retrieves this information, so it may be crashing with your modem firmware if it hasn't been updated.

I changed them to use Google Open DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), but any other should work.
TY for this tip. Gonna try it on my friends lappy.

Well, my brother had an error where there was a watermark on 8.1 which said this:
746844abf736c398f84693e4f1a64e4e.png

It took awhile to fix because we had tried a million and one different solutions because Microsoft has no solutions up on the website other than to call the OEM and get them to deal with it. The solution ended up being telling bios to revert to default.
Well, an update. Now my friend has this error and my solution of turning on SecureBoot or doing the default trick on his laptop didnt fix it. Hmm

This time the laptop in question is one that originally came Preloaded with Windows 7 so there wasn't any SecureBoot thing to have to worry about in his BIOS and this error never came up in 8.

No time frame on it, but this is a bug that will be fixed in future versions of the install.
Awesome, I'll have to let him know

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know how to set the start screen background to be the same as the desktop background, but is there any way to do it in reverse? I kind of like some of the start screen images they have.

MrBig

6. Fill with black.

It's so much better now.

You can disable the aero theme: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-hidden-aero-lite-theme-in-windows-8-rtm/

Jinaar

APPLICATION: Windows 8.1 PHOTO APP
UPGRADE PATH: Windows 7 Pro -> Windows 8 Pro (TechNet) -> Windows 8.1 Pro (TechNet Download before Oct 17th)

ISSUE: Windows 8 Pro allowed me to view all my pictures in the Library created and on SkyDrive. I then upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro (TechNet ISO) and Photo App now will not display any Libraries at all and gives me this error:
"Sorry there was a problem. Please try again later."

I have deleted the PICTURES directory in Libraries and recreated a new one called PICS and categorized it as PICTURES and now I get:
"This Location can't be found. Please try again later."

I have even created a brand new Win 8.1 account and it too gets this problem.

After a few critical windows updates last friday were updated, the Photo App did display the Picture Library properly for all of one time and then reverted back to the errors above.

Doing many searches online I cannot fine anything that works. Just wondering if anyone has had this issues as well and resolved it. Cheers.

I sirously can't beileve we have to reinstall all of our programs. You would think an update of this magnitude Microsoft would have thought things out.

I sirously can't beileve we have to reinstall all of our programs. You would think an update of this magnitude Microsoft would have thought things out.

Seriously? The 8.1 preview told you explicitly that you would have to do so. You think you would think things out before trying out beta software.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Which is why I did a fresh install of Win8 -> Win8.1. It's hardly ideal.

Guri

Ok, guys, as I'm sure any of you who has a keyboard with numlock knows, Windows 8 and 8.1 have an annoying thing that start the system with the numlock key off, even if you have it configured right on the BIOS, because of "security reasons". There's a registry tweak you can make that enables it for the login screen, but it disables again afterwards, so you need to press every time. I've decided to send Razer (I have their keyboard) an e-mail about suggesting to implement the function on their software, so it enables the key automatically when it loads. They said they'll send the message to their software team. I suggest everyone who is bothered with the same problem to send an e-mail to your keyboard vendor so they can do the same, including Razer, so they can see more people are interested.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Not if you do 8 -> 8.1
Reinstall is for XP/Vista//7/8.1 Preview -> 8.1

M3d10n

TBF they did warn that you would not be able to do an in-place upgrade from a preview version to the consumer one. This dance has been going since Windows 7.

This was the reason I did not even bother installing the preview.

longdi

Banned
my company of heroes 2 game is now stuck in compatibility mode? steam throws out some warning but after it away, the game loads and runs fine afaics.
i guess is because the latest radeon beta drivers are not yet win8.1 certified..

joshschw

Ok, guys, as I'm sure any of you who has a keyboard with numlock knows, Windows 8 and 8.1 have an annoying thing that start the system with the numlock key off, even if you have it configured right on the BIOS, because of "security reasons". There's a registry tweak you can make that enables it for the login screen, but it disables again afterwards, so you need to press every time. I've decided to send Razer (I have their keyboard) an e-mail about suggesting to implement the function on their software, so it enables the key automatically when it loads. They said they'll send the message to their software team. I suggest everyone who is bothered with the same problem to send an e-mail to your keyboard vendor so they can do the same, including Razer, so they can see more people are interested.

Interesting. When I installed 8.1 it fixed itself. Was a little annoying since I use a pin code to log in :)

Chili

my company of heroes 2 game is now stuck in compatibility mode? steam throws out some warning but after it away, the game loads and runs fine afaics.
i guess is because the latest radeon beta drivers are not yet win8.1 certified..

I have this problem but I'm using a Nvidia card.

Doran902

i got a fatal error during installation, for some reason i thought it was just an update but it was almost like a reformat or something, anyway computer wouldnt start anymore

anyway, had to reinstall windows 8 completely then 8.1 it worked but the windows.old folder didnt keep my destop files just the program files

and like an idiot i didnt back anything up

so i lost like 4-5 months worth of art and psd files

i feel so down right now..............

What a pile of crap. I downloaded and installed the 3.2gb monstrosity, and the screen locks up after restart. Had to restore back to 8.0. Unacceptable.

Dinskugga

Do anybody else have this problem?

My apps doesnt shut down after i drag them down to the bottom.

they are still active in the background.

do anybody know how to fix this?

damn annoying have all the apps running in the background even when they should have been shut down.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

damn annoying have all the apps running in the background even when they should have been shut down.
don't worry about them, they suspend in ram.

Well after a whole host of troubleshooting, including removing my LAN card and attempting at least 5 installs with various settings and drivers disabled I finally got it working today after messing around in the BIOS and realising that the boot order favoured my DVD-ROM over my HDD. I didn't realise as this didn't interfere with Windows 8 booting usually, but it seems to be what was preventing the update since that one change finally got it to work.

joshschw

Just being in RAM doesn't impact any performance. This is by design and intentional.

You only really need to use the drag and hold thing to force close if there's a problem with an app.

Top Bottom