• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

lexi

Banned
You can't use a Windows 8 key with a fresh install of 8.1.

I know, stupid as all hell since it's free to everyone, but there it is. You have to do the inplace upgrade straight from Windows 8 itself.

Wow. So when I want to re-install I need to install 8 first, then upgrade to 8.1?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
The apps are absolutely wasting resources. Clearing them out of memory results in a signficant hit at the time, and the OS will typically not do so until it needs more memory, by which point it's too late and it will actually decrease performance, not increase it.

Same dunderheaded problem happens in iOS - unless you go through and manually kill apps the OS will do it for you half way through a round of Infinity Blade, the framerate will crater and you'll die as a result.

This is insane! You're complaining about technology that's been around since the idea of virtual memory. You're complaining about garbage collection. You'd rather have youre game crash on you? Why not close you're apps in windows if you want to avoid the situation where the OS swaps it to hard drive? Your given that option and you complain about how its done. You don't trust Apple, you don't trust Microsoft .. not sure what you trust about memory management but it works regardless of you complaining.

eLGee

Well, this sucks. After downgrading to 8 after running 8.1 preview, and installing the real 8.1, I'm met with a black screen after logging in. Metro shows up, after 5 minutes or so, but none of the metro apps work at all. Until it starts up, I have to access task manager to start up my programs manually.

Metro looks like this:
Untitled_zps30b1bae0.png

I've tried doing the sfc /scannow to try to repair it, but it doesn't find anything corrupted. Most people online have resolved the issue by doing this, or rebooting into safe mode and disabling and updating a Intel display driver, but I can't find any such thing in my device manager. Any thoughts?

Kingbrave

Well, this sucks. After downgrading to 8 after running 8.1 preview, and installing the real 8.1, I'm met with a black screen after logging in. Metro shows up, after 5 minutes or so, but none of the metro apps work at all. Until it starts up, I have to access task manager to start up my programs manually.

Metro looks like this:

I've tried doing the sfc /scannow to try to repair it, but it doesn't find anything corrupted. Most people online have resolved the issue by doing this, or rebooting into safe mode and disabling and updating a Intel display driver, but I can't find any such thing in my device manager. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem. I eventually just reformatted and redownladed 8.1.

Hasney

Wow. So when I want to re-install I need to install 8 first, then upgrade to 8.1?

Yup. Paul Thurrot reckons he has an idea about a workaround to get an 8.1 clean install working with an 8 product key, but he's working on it right now.

Mindwipe

This is insane! You're complaining about technology that's been around since the idea of virtual memory. You're complaining about garbage collection. You'd rather have youre game crash on you?

I'm not complaining about garbage collection, as the stuff contained within the memory is suspended programmes and not garbage. It's nothing to do with gabrage collection.

Why not close you're apps in windows if you want to avoid the situation where the OS swaps it to hard drive?

I do. What I'm complaining about is that the UI to acomplish that has been made massively less efficient and slower.

Your given that option and you complain about how its done. You don't trust Apple, you don't trust Microsoft .. not sure what you trust about memory management but it works regardless of you complaining.

You have faulty understanding.

Chili

Off the top of my head, this is how I fresh installed Windows 8.1 using a Windows 8 upgrade key by:

First, created a file in the /sources directory of the installation media called ei.cfg with the following:

[EditionID]
Professional (<-this should be Core if you don't have a Pro key)
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

With this I didn't need to enter a product key during the installation. Once inside Windows, I then typed in "slui 4" in Run. The online activation failed with my key but it gives an option to use the phone activation and it worked fine.

Hasney

I don't know what Thurrot's up to, but this method worked fine for me.

Off the top of my head, this is how I fresh installed Windows 8.1 using a Windows 8 upgrade key by:

First, created a file in the /sources directory of the installation media called ei.cfg with the following:

[EditionID]
Professional (<-this should be Core if you don't have a Pro key)
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

With this I didn't need to enter a product key during the installation. Once inside Windows, I then typed in "slui 4" in Run. The online activation failed with my key but it gives an option to use the phone activation and it worked fine.

WqlNowq.jpg

May actually install this now. Use the workaround to download the 8.1 x64 Pro ISO and then use the key workaround since I can't upgrade anyway because of the user folders being in a non-default location.

Then I've just got to find a way to get the users folders off the C: drive again to save precious SSD space. That's going to be difficult without SYSPREP.

Vestal

The improvements made to snapping windows is freaking amazing. This is what 8 should have been from the start. It feels very intuitive now.

I am using metro much more now because of it.

Anyone having an issue where this simply won't install? Upgrading from Windows 8 Enterprise.

I'm on my third go-around now. I install from disc, and that goes to 100% and reboots the machine. Comp posts and goes to the Windows 8 loading screen, where it does the "Setting up Files" thing. Once that completes I'm prompted to choose an OS; I believe my options are either "Windows 8" or "Boot from Disc". I choose Windows 8. From there Windows 8 starts back up, with nothing new installed.

A side effect to this is that all my network adapters lose internet connectivity, but I localized that to user error - I made the mistake of trying to use Hyper-V to host my VMs instead of something that isn't terrible.

Mindwipe

The improvements made to snapping windows is freaking amazing. This is what 8 should have been from the start. It feels very intuitive now.

I am using metro much more now because of it.

It's just a shame that similar functionality improvements weren't extended to the desktop - it'd be great to be able to snap a Twitter client in 1/4 or 1/5 of the screen and for the rest of the desktop to be considered maximised space, while running proper applications and not Metro apps.

Sadly Desktop UI was completely ignored, again.

It's just a shame that similar functionality improvements weren't extended to the desktop - it'd be great to be able to snap a Twitter client in 1/4 or 1/5 of the screen and for the rest of the desktop to be considered maximised space, while running proper applications and not Metro apps.

HM? Maybe I read it wrongly, but you can snap a metro twitter app and use the desktop with the rest of the screen

Mindwipe

Then you are artificially limiting yourself. The functionality is there, and it works extremely well.

No I'm not, and it doesn't. Although I used Twitter as an example, there are plenty of other applications where I'd want the same functionality, but where both windows are running apps that aren't (and wouldn't be allowed) in the Metro store.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what option do I have if the 8.1 update has still yet to show up in my app store? I have a new work laptop that had Win 7 initially and we put 8 on it when it came in. Not sure if some of the work programs are blocking the update from showing, but it shows fine on my work Surface Pro...

Hasney

My only problem with Windows 8 that I think still remains in 8.1 is Netflix. Due it's Metro app nature, I can't switch windows and carry on doing other things while it's in the background. Then Netflix artificially locks me out of the website streaming because I have Windows 8, so I have to fanny about with the user agent to get that working.

I'd be more than happy with the Metro app if I could run it windowed. It was the only Metro app I was using, although that may be changed with that Twitter one now.

So what option do I have if the 8.1 update has still yet to show up in my app store? I have a new work laptop that had Win 7 initially and we put 8 on it when it came in. Not sure if some of the work programs are blocking the update from showing, but it shows fine on my work Surface Pro...

Download the ISO/USB Stick Files using this method: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key

Or you can try putting this into IE and see if it brings up the store page if you really want to do it through that method:

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

I had to completely refresh my lappy last night and reinstall 8 then 8.1 again. Doing so finally fixed the issue I was having with the OSK appearing every time I wanted to type something, but it also fixed the curious problem I had of being able to access every corner of the internet EXCEPT Sony's website, thus blocking me from viewing and downloading any updates, even through the Vaio update centre.

Pissed me off to no end, but at least it's sorted now.

My only problem with Windows 8 that I think still remains in 8.1 is Netflix. Due it's Metro app nature, I can't switch windows and carry on doing other things while it's in the background. Then Netflix artificially locks me out of the website streaming because I have Windows 8, so I have to fanny about with the user agent to get that working.

I'd be more than happy with the Metro app if I could run it windowed. It was the only Metro app I was using, although that may be changed with that Twitter one now.

I haven't tried with Netflix specifically, but does it not work docked? Every app I've tried so far has been more than happy to run whilst docked to the left or right with a browser window open in the remainder of the desktop.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there a way to minimize Metro apps that you have pinned on your desktop so they just hang around in the App menu that's hidden on the left side?

Because as far as I can tell, you either have them visible at all times, or close them. I'd like to be able to quickly pin/unpin them and have them resume the previous pin location/size and all that jazz.

Is there a way to minimize Metro apps that you have pinned on your desktop so they just hang around in the App menu that's hidden on the left side?

Because as far as I can tell, you either have them visible at all times, or close them. I'd like to be able to quickly pin/unpin them and have them resume the previous pin location/size and all that jazz.

When you don't have them on the screen, they're basically suspended... apparently. So there's no need to minimise them.

Hasney

I haven't tried with Netflix specifically, but does it not work docked? Every app I've tried so far has been more than happy to run whilst docked to the left or right with a browser window open in the remainder of the desktop.

Kind of, but then I can't get a nice size to it. Might be better with the new 8.1 docking options, but I still prefer the flexibility of a desktop mode browser window to watch.

If I do the ISO will I have to wipe the computer? Or will it update it as the regular method would?

Yeah, it upgrades as normal too.

Kind of, but then I can't get a nice size to it. Might be better with the new 8.1 docking options, but I still prefer the flexibility of a desktop mode browser window to watch.

I'm not sure if it's app specific, but I've found that anything smaller than 1/4 of the screen just closes. Apart from that you can have it any size, whereas before on vanilla 8 there was fixed sizes.

I didn't use docking very much before, so I may be wrong.

kitch9

Banned
This is insane! You're complaining about technology that's been around since the idea of virtual memory. You're complaining about garbage collection. You'd rather have youre game crash on you? Why not close you're apps in windows if you want to avoid the situation where the OS swaps it to hard drive? Your given that option and you complain about how its done. You don't trust Apple, you don't trust Microsoft .. not sure what you trust about memory management but it works regardless of you complaining.

It amuses me how big a deal some people make of a few apps that are a few mb in size being suspended in their ram....

Azih

So windows 8.1 doesn't have any sort of built in alternative to Oblytile? Pinned desktop programs still look like ass by default?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Upgraded my laptop to 8.1 and it caused my screen to stay stuck on full brightness. I can move the brightness slider up and down but it stays at full brightness.

Sucks. :(

Anyone else having trouble with Java on 8.1? My girlfriend goes to Club Pogo all the time to play games and it keeps saying she doesn't have the latest version installed. I went to Javas webpage but that says i'm up to date.

It wont work on IE, Chrome or Firefox. She's pissed :/

GaussTek

I''m getting this too. no ideas so do tell us if you find anything on it.

Also, my Arial Regular font disappeared. I noticed because Chrome and Steam automatically changed to arial italic for a ton of stuff. I put the arial regular file back where it should be, but there are still some things in chrome displaying in italic that I can't get rid of. Super annoying!

As a temporary solution, I'm using this http://keepalivehd.codeplex.com/

It's an small program that writes a txt files on your HDD every few minutes (in my case, I set it to 5 min), so it prevents it from sleeping. Works ok.

I don't like to have additional programs running on my startup, but I guess I'll have to live with it, at least until Microsoft/My Manufacturer fixes this.

Ok one thing that is weird to me is the new autocorrect. Is there a way to quickly undo the corrections. Especially when typing with touch cover it annoys me when I need to reenter a word a thousand times until its not changed anymore. Maybe there is something I'm missing, as I don't want to turn corrections of alltogether

M3d10n

If the desktop app is maximized, it works pretty much like that: it will resize when the snap split is resized just fine. It's very similar to resizing a a VMWare window.

I mean with both apps not being Metro apps. I have no interest in Metro apps.

Ah, I see. MS could do this if we could have multiple desktops, so we could snap two desktops together. Maybe if somebody creates a remote desktop metro app, you could use that to RDP your own machine and do it, lol.

-- EDIT --

Wait, MS does have a metro RDP app! I'm not on W8 now so I can't test it, but I'll try it at home later.

M3d10n

So windows 8.1 doesn't have any sort of built in alternative to Oblytile? Pinned desktop programs still look like ass by default?

If by "look like ass" you mean they use their desktop icon, then yes. If you means they all use the same generic tile color then no, they changed that: tiles for desktop apps, folders and websites now have auto-color, similar to how Windows 7 did it for taskbar icons.

If by "look like ass" you mean they use their desktop icon, then yes. If you means they all use the same generic tile color then no, they changed that: tiles for desktop apps, folders and websites now have auto-color, similar to how Windows 7 did it for taskbar icons.

Too much orange and grey in mine lol

dLMN8R

What a dumb fucking decision that was.

Customers don't trust heuristics. Even Apple have found that, and much to their cost - they're stuck with a legion of genius helpdesk staff telling customers they should close all their apps because it seems to work, and a UI that sucks for doing it because they think that nobody should ever need to, and users don't agree.

So MS deliberately copied that concept? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So they've made the app closing mechanism dumber, slower and more hidden, and that's not a boneheaded move for some reason?

The people in MS who made that decision are an absolute cancer in the company. If I'm using Windows it's because I don't want fricking iOS.
You're really overreacting and jumping to inaccurate conclusions.

Just don't worry about it. It works fine. You're assuming that Apple made various decisions for reasons you have no evidence to support.

Meh, giving up on this. I'll stick with Win8 until MS gets their shit together and actually has an upgrade process that works properly.

I'm not liking that the tabs in IE have been moved to the bottom bar. I've gotten used to them being at the top in, well, every web browser I've ever used that utilise tabs.

Also, has anyone got any idea why links don't open unless I hold/right click and choose "open in a new tab". A new tab opens, and the loading animation shows up, but the link never opens. I always have to manually choose to open a link in a new tab.

I really do like 8.1, honest, lol.

Kweh

I don't know if this is Windows 8.1 related, but it's started happening ever since I installed it.

If I shutdown the PC, the next time I turn it on it fails to see my boot drive, so I have to unplug the SATA cable and plug it back in again. Then it boots fine. This doesn't happen if I Restart, only when I use Shutdown.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
So if you are looking at a website in "metro" IE, you can move to the desktop with an option when you right click. Is there an equivalent for the other way around? If I am looking at a website on the desktop and I want to see it in metro?

It sucks that I had to reinstall a lot of my apps when upgrading from 8.1 trial to the real thing, ESPECIALLY I had to download all of my Steam games again! :/

Top Bottom