• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Lucius86

Banned
is there a way to disable the password screen?

Depends on what type of account you logon with - is it a Microsoft account or a local computer account?

With a Microsoft account you cannot remove the password prompt for when the computer boots up. You CAN remove it from when the computer goes into a standby state, but that's it.

As for local user account, yes you can remove it altogether and get it booting straight into Windows. Go Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options. A Microsoft account can be switched to a local computer account, but then you lose your syncing options and the ability to download apps from the Windows Store.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It would be nice if current installations on smaller machines, like 32 GB tablets, would benefit from that, too. I'd even be willing to do a refresh or something like that.
Looks like you could do that on any machine (instructions are on that Microsoft blog), but it will be setup by default on low end tablets. I assume there will be performance differences between a normal install and this though.

Windu

one thing I still don't like about 8 is how apps don't go back to the start screen/desktop when you close them when another app is open.
IgjSaqn.png

when multitasking, if an a space of the screen is not shown, the start screen or desktop should be shown, not a blank screen.

Lima

Depends on what type of account you logon with - is it a Microsoft account or a local computer account?

With a Microsoft account you cannot remove the password prompt for when the computer boots up. You CAN remove it from when the computer goes into a standby state, but that's it.

As for local user account, yes you can remove it altogether and get it booting straight into Windows. Go Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in Options. A Microsoft account can be switched to a local computer account, but then you lose your syncing options and the ability to download apps from the Windows Store.

Uhm what.

Of course you can automatically login with a MS account.

http://www.howtogeek.com/112919/how-to-make-your-windows-8-computer-logon-automatically/

one thing I still don't like about 8 is how apps don't go back to the start screen/desktop when you close them when another app is open.

when multitasking, if an a space of the screen is not shown, the start screen or desktop should be shown, not a blank screen.

I don't know if there is some strange technical reason why you can't have an app and the Start screen up at the same time, but I wouldn't mind if it just brought up the "next" app behind the one you closed. In fact, it feels like that makes too much sense.

The Cowboy

This looks really great, its nice to see that they are still working on things to improve metro/tiles for the people who actually like it (like me :D), and not just going full on with trying to get it back to the desktop style.

I want these new live tiles (especially the mail and desktop ones) NOW!!!, hopefully they aren't just a tech demo and that they actually put them in.

Is there anyway that you can have Live Wallpapers on Windows? Like Android tablets and phones have? I recently fell in love with that feature with my Nexus 7 and would like to have something like that on Windows 8.

There is a marked improvement in performance of Modern apps after the update, which is nice, especially on resume from a suspended state.

Is there anyway that you can have Live Wallpapers on Windows? Like Android tablets and phones have? I recently fell in love with that feature with my Nexus 7 and would like to have something like that on Windows 8.

On the start screen? Yes, but only the ones it comes with, there's no way to extend them yet.

PGamer

fucking juniors

Install Vista.

They removed Windows DreamScene in 7. You might still be able to use it with a hack but I have no idea if it runs on 8.1

I think it does that because you can force snap an app without dragging another on top of it. It's actually very useful when you are going to open an app through the search charm and want it to go straight to snap mode. (They should definitely add snap option to the menu when you right click/long touch an app entry in the search results)

I turned my Tablet on and when I was putting the password it starting updating, after the update my screen got stuck in black, in a turn on stage. Are they any button combinations I can use to restart it?

Edit: never mind apparently you have to hold the power button for an ungodly amount of time.

Windu

EDIT: Nvm, Windows support came through. They tried to fix it, but it turns out it's Dell's problem. Something like since Win8 came with my computer, they have to fix it instead. They said if I don't want to have a sort of sub to Win8, I have to buy Win8 and install it myself. Well that sucks, but oh well. Either way, it seems I won't be fixing this annoyance without digging in my wallet.

Hieberrr

I just put W8.1 onto my laptop. The Wi-Fi issues that I'm experiencing (as well as on my other Lenovo laptop that I got with W8) are driving me up the wall. What the fuck is up with the constant disconnects?!

FUCK YOU MICROSFOT, YOU LITTLE BITCH.

SPDIF

I just put W8.1 onto my laptop. The Wi-Fi issues that I'm experiencing (as well as on my other Lenovo laptop that I got with W8) are driving me up the wall. What the fuck is up with the constant disconnects?!

FUCK YOU QUALCOMM / REALTEK / WHATEVER COMPANY MANUFACTURED MY WIFI CARD, YOU LITTLE BITCH.

Fixed.

It's unlikely to be the fault of MS. Find the model of your card, go to Google, and download the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for it.
If you've already done that, then who knows, maybe it is MS's fault.

Elija2

I performed a system refresh to try to fix my wireless adapter since it stopped working and I couldn't fix it for the life of me. I thought that I would be able to undo the refresh if it didn't fix my problem. Well, my problem wasn't fixed so I tried to restore my laptop to before I did the refresh, but it turns out you can't. So now I'm wasting my time manually restoring my laptop to how it was before, but I just noticed that there is a "Windows.old" folder on my hard drive with all of my files as they were right before the refresh. Will it be alright if I just move the Program Files from that folder to my current one or will that cause problems? I'd really rather not reinstall everything manually, especially if all of my files are right there.

SPDIF

I performed a system refresh to try to fix my wireless adapter since it stopped working and I couldn't fix it for the life of me. I thought that I would be able to undo the refresh if it didn't fix my problem. Well, my problem wasn't fixed so I tried to restore my laptop to before I did the refresh, but it turns out you can't. So now I'm wasting my time manually restoring my laptop to how it was before, but I just noticed that there is a "Windows.old" folder on my hard drive with all of my files as they were right before the refresh. Will it be alright if I just move the Program Files from that folder to my current one or will that cause problems? I'd really rather not reinstall everything manually, especially if all of my files are right there.

Most likely yes. There's probably a bunch of other files / registry settings that those programs are relying on. You might not want to do it, but it's probably for the best to reinstall everything.

Elija2

Most likely yes. There's probably a bunch of other files / registry settings that those programs are relying on. You might not want to do it, but it's probably for the best to reinstall everything.

Ugh, this sucks. The whole reason I refreshed my laptop was to fix a problem and it didn't even do that. This was all a waste of time.

They need to put an option to download images from stories on Bing news app. There is a story about some space pictures taken by Hubble and they look amazing!

Elija2

So my laptop's wireless adapter hasn't been working for a while. It can't connect to any network, and even when it does the Internet doesn't work or is so slow that it's unusable. However, I recently noticed that if I tether my laptop to my smartphone's data that it works perfectly. How is it that my laptop can't connect to a router but it can connect to my smartphone?

Is there like a tech support thread on GAF?

Pooya

go look for new drivers for your wifi adapter, the ones windows installs are not necessary the best or latest, that was my experience with Atheros brand. Only the recent drivers from last December worked great, anything before that mostly failed to connect.

Quick

Banned
I'm looking do a clean install of Windows. Do I need to install 8 then update to 8.1, or is it possible to install 8.1 directly?

And if that's possible, I'm assuming I can use the same product key as my Windows 8 install.

Guri

I'm looking do a clean install of Windows. Do I need to install 8 then update to 8.1, or is it possible to install 8.1 directly?

And if that's possible, I'm assuming I can use the same product key as my Windows 8 install.

Your Windows 8 product key only works with Windows 8, sadly. So you'd need to install 8, then its updates until 8.1 shows on the Windows Store and, finally, 8.1.1 through Windows Update.

dLMN8R

The Windows 8.1 Update should be baked right into the Windows 8.1 image that's on the Store now, so there shouldn't be a need for those two steps.

Elija2

go look for new drivers for your wifi adapter, the ones windows installs are not necessary the best or latest, that was my experience with Atheros brand. Only the recent drivers from last December worked great, anything before that mostly failed to connect.

My wireless adapter is an Atheros as well, but I'm already updated to the latest drivers. The driver date says 2013-08-07 though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have this issue. I was looking at my outlook account settings in the mail app and it says that there is a problem with the security certificate and that it is out of date, what's up with that?

Jzero

I can't believe Microsoft still hasn't fixed the text color, minimize, maximize, and close for dark themed windows.

Why does onenote metro not upload changes in background? Aren't apis for background download/upload available?

I love it that on my phone, no matter how big the change I can leave the app straight away and even on mobile data eventually it will pop on other devices.

Azih

OneNote on the phone has no undo functionality. I've lost so much shit when trying to copy/paste to something else and hitting backspace or something instead. Incredibly annoying.

Anyone know why there seems to be a limit to how "deep" you can dive in the OneDrive Metro app?

I think the folder I was trying to get to what:

D:\Folder 1\Folder 2\Folder 3\Folder 4\Folder 5\Folder 6

But Folder 6, which contained about five documents I needed, didn't show up, either in the Desktop route (Surface RT) or the app. Once I moved the docs from Folder 6 to Folder 5, I could access them.

Top Bottom