• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait, so I have to reinstall all my programs if I upgrade from Win 8?

Nah, everything migrates. Hell 90% of my Win7 programs did back when I updated from 7 to 8. Not a single program fucked up on the way from 8 to 8.1, so you should be good to go.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just did a clean install of windows 8.1 the other day, and have not yet received the huge wave of app updates. maybe they silently installed? can anyone give me any tips on telling if i have the latest versions?

Managed to upgrade my Laptop (I narrowed down the issues my desktop's been having to something to do with my graphics card drivers), but now it can't connect to my wifi network.

Well, it can, but it'll keep saying "limited access", even when I can connect with my phone just fine. Looked it up, and a lot of people seem to be having this issue, but I haven't found a fix that works yet.

Fuck's sake, this is getting annoying.

I just did a clean install of windows 8.1 the other day, and have not yet received the huge wave of app updates. maybe they silently installed? can anyone give me any tips on telling if i have the latest versions?

I "think" it upgrades your apps during the upgrade install. At least that is the way it seemed to me when I upgraded and the terminology it used in some of the updating on screen messages.

Guri

I don't use them, but the default setting is to automatically update.

Rootbeer

Banned
I "think" it upgrades your apps during the upgrade install. At least that is the way it seemed to me when I upgraded and the terminology it used in some of the updating on screen messages.

I don't use them, but the default setting is to automatically update.

I seem to remember in 8 that it would pop-up a little box in the upper right-hand corner anytime it updated something though (similar to when it installed anything), but never saw anything

but yeah i guess it could have fetched all that stuff during the actual install process

still, anyone know if there are some new features or something in some of the updated apps just so i can check?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
you can force them in the settings menu of the app store.

Groof

So my store is giving me a bunch of Japanese suggestions for apps. Not that I ever enter the store, but are there any location settings I've missed?

Rootbeer

Banned
you can force them in the settings menu of the app store.

ahh there we go!! I forgot about the charm menu that every app has. just got 20 updates... it said auto update was enabled there but even though my pc has been up for over 3 days straight it still never checked for updates??? weird...

So my store is giving me a bunch of Japanese suggestions for apps. Not that I ever enter the store, but are there any location settings I've missed?

you can try opening the windows store, go to the charm menu, settings, preferences, and there are options there to prefer apps in your "preferred languages", try changing it? Might help.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm right there with ya bro.

Are you on 8 Enterprise? Enterprise users are dirty poors who don't get a free upgrade. Unless you've actually paid the bux for a support contract from Microsoft.

Pro, I believe. It's my work machine.

Check my earlier post for the process to get the iso. You can then install via a usb drive sans the store.

Might give this a shot, thanks.

Open a new tab, copy this into your address bar, then hit enter:

Code:
ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

It should open the store straight onto the 8.1 update.

Edit: Not sure if that'll work on Windows 8. It does work on the 8.1 preview however.

Nope, just takes me to the main store page with no windows 8.1 tile.

Holding out for more driver support. I screwed the pooch going to 8.1 in beta. I'm afraid.

Looks like it killed my wifi. There's no drivers available for it yet. I don't fucking feel like reinstalling Windows 8 entirely, either: that's just too much fucking work and I've already had to do it three times this past month.

The Cowboy

Does anyone know how to disable the modern UI internet explorer dimming?, when ever I hit back/forward/load a new page etc, the page slightly dims and then goes back to normal (it seems to dim as the new/old page is loading).

Its bloomin annoying to say the least.

Quick

Banned
Smooth sailing on Windows 8.1 so far. Loving it. I'm actually going to do a clean install (Windows 8 > update to Windows 8.1) just to start from scratch.

I've been looking forward to those new tile sizes for ages now. They really make a huge difference to the Start Screen. Same with being able to use my desktop wallpaper as the Start Screen background.

The Start button is back. Can't say I've missed it. It was weird not having it in Windows 8 initially, but I quickly got used to it. Majority rules, though. So I'm glad Microsoft listened to the complaints and added it back.

Having SkyDrive deeper integrated might get me to use the service more. 7GB of storage isn't quite as much as my 20GB for Dropbox, but it's still quite significant. I'll probably end up throwing my Documents in there to have easier access to them on the go.

I'm still on the fence about using my Microsoft account vs. a local account, though. Other than SkyDrive integration and backing up my settings, what significant advantages do I have now for using a Microsoft account in Windows 8.1 vs. in Windows 8?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Smooth sailing on Windows 8.1 so far. Loving it. I'm actually going to do a clean install (Windows 8 > update to Windows 8.1) just to start from scratch.

I've been looking forward to those new tile sizes for ages now. They really make a huge difference to the Start Screen. Same with being able to use my desktop wallpaper as the Start Screen background.

The Start button is back. Can't say I've missed it. It was weird not having it in Windows 8 initially, but I quickly got used to it. Majority rules, though. So I'm glad Microsoft listened to the complaints and added it back.

Having SkyDrive deeper integrated might get me to use the service more. 7GB of storage isn't quite as much as my 20GB for Dropbox, but it's still quite significant. I'll probably end up throwing my Documents in there to have easier access to them on the go.

I'm still on the fence about using my Microsoft account vs. a local account, though. Other than SkyDrive integration and backing up my settings, what significant advantages do I have now for using a Microsoft account in Windows 8.1 vs. in Windows 8?
syncing settings etc.. between different PCs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I really like the big tiles, especially for Weather and News.

Quick

Banned
syncing settings etc.. between different PCs.

Anything else?

And just to add more: it looks like you're required to switch to your Microsoft account if you want to download apps. At least, that's for attempting to download the Facebook app.

Haha i'm so thankful that i got lucky this time and have had no issues.

I was worried I'd be getting these issues people were talking about. None crept up.

Since I'm re-installing clean, here's hoping for a smooth process.

GaussTek

So, should I wait to do the update?

I have a Vaio PC with Win 8, and a bunch of drivers for 8.1 showed up on my model support page (including new WLAN and Video drivers and updates to the Vaio software tools).

I've already downloaded them. However, I'm still worried lol.

BTW, which software you guys use to make a clone of your HDD just in case something goes wrong, but that also gives you the option to exclude certain folders and files (I've already backed up my documents and I also don't want to include my PC game installs).

Is there something good and free out there? Thanks!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to refresh my PC, but it says I'm missing some files?

edit: Can I restart from my Windows 8 disc and then do the 8.1 update again??

kodecraft

I've always liked Win 8 now that I'm on 8.1 my computer no longer sleeps. I've googled and found different things to do tried them and nothing prevailed.

This is clearly a bug of some sort, damn MS.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This might take a while.

bOXoHXc.jpg

The Cowboy

8.1 seems to have messed up my 'System reserved' partition during the update. It won't optimise even though it's got the "Needs Optimisation" flag. Event Viewer shows "System Reserved The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)" every time I run it, and a quick search shows others with this issue but no solution as far as I can see.
Can other people who've installed Windows 8.1 check this, I to just noticed this issue and after a google it seems its quite common (to the point of it sounds like it simply doesn't work at all in 8.1).

Right click on a drive and select properties, tools, optimise and defragment drives - now highlight system reserved and hit optimise, does it still say never run and needs optimisation afterwards?.

I don't think it would cause to much of an issue if it is never ran (as on a SSD it only issues a trim command, and I think the system reserved doesn't need to do that), but I swear blind I had no issue at all in running it on Windows 8.

Guri

Can other people who've installed Windows 8.1 check this, I to just noticed this issue and after a google it seems its quite common (to the point of it sounds like it simply doesn't work at all in 8.1).

Right click on a drive and select properties, tools, optimise and defragment drives - now highlight system reserved and hit optimise, does it still say never run and needs optimisation afterwards?.

I don't think it would cause to much of an issue if it is never ran (as on a SSD it only issues a trim command), but I swear blind I had no issue at all in running it on Windows 8.

I don't have a System Reserved partition, but I tried to optimize my SSD (Windoows drive) partition and it worked fine.

The Cowboy

I don't have a System Reserved partition, but I tried to optimize my SSD (Windoows drive) partition and it worked fine.

Weird, I thought installing Windows always made a system reserved partition?.

The optimise works perfectly from me on the Windows drive, just for some reason it won't work at all on the system reserved drive in 8.1.

Before I download it, is it still possible to have the "Run" button in the start menu? And can I disable the charms bar? (Using StartWin8 at the moment to do that)

Jzero

Before I download it, is it still possible to have the "Run" button in the start menu? And can I disable the charms bar? (Using StartWin8 at the moment to do that)

You can run stuff by right clicking the start button in 8.1 (also works on the start screen)

MrBig

Run is in the start right-click context menu and can be pinned to the start screen or task bar. You can disable the ability to access the charms bar via the top right corner, but not the ability to access it from the bottom right.

You can run stuff by right clicking the start button in 8.1 (also works on the start screen)

Run is in the start right-click context menu and can be pinned to the start screen or task bar. You can disable the ability to access the charms bar via the top right corner, but not the ability to access it from the bottom right.

Aaaaaaaand I feel dumb *mind blown*. Thank you both!

Lexxon

Pro, I believe. It's my work machine.

Nope, just takes me to the main store page with no windows 8.1 tile.

If you have a key from TechNet or a Volume License service, you're going to have to download Windows 8.1 ISO and run it as an in-place upgrade. It seems to go through a very similar process as the download, although it looks more like a traditional Windows upgrade, so it kinda scared me into thinking it wouldn't work right afterwards. I ever did it on a domain-joined work machine and it took the upgrade just fine.

Also, it will need a new key. SO glad we haven't started pushing Win8 at work, this would be a goddamned nightmare upgrading people.

Upgrading my home machine tonight.

Top Bottom