• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8.1 |OT| There's your start button

Also make sure you do custom setup in the beginning otherwise you are opting in to a ton of advertising shit to make MS more money and give away your privacy.

longdi

Banned
you know why i hate metro apps?
its so fricking hard to go into the settings and config things. everything is so concealed off.
for instance the mail apps, how do i go and turn off "download external images" ..

sca2511

After updating, Visual Studio Express broke(new files started in files in notepad/projects wouldn't open), not sure if it's related. Now installing VSE2013. I don't go on the Start screen often, but I'm liking the smaller tiles.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The best thing about the update is that Windows finally lets me add many user accounts. I'm not sure why, but before whenever I'd try to create and sing into a different account, I'd get an error about the Profile Service.

Jzero

you know why i hate metro apps?
its so fricking hard to go into the settings and config things. everything is so concealed off.
for instance the mail apps, how do i go and turn off "download external images" ..

Yea it is kind of confusing for some people to have right click settings and charm settings. for the mail app you have to go to the charms while in the app, click accounts, click on your desired account, and uncheck download external images.

Jzero

I kind of can't believe this is really happening. I can't use a mouse, at all.

You don't own an old PS2 mouse? This isn't just a Windows 8 problem, i've had it happen on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 sometimes while servicing computers. That's why Clean install > Upgrade.

I have now tried my usual mouse, two Microsoft mice, a shitty cyborg RAT I dug out of my garage, and a PS/2 mouse.

What's weird is that I got it to work in an error screen when I failed to start properly, but not on my actual desktop.

Probably kicking a long-decomposed horse carcass at this point, but I'm not understanding the inclusion of this "Start" button (as it seems to be the main or only noticeable update for desktop users, but I'm probably ignorant here I'm probably biased coming from having Start8 installed, although it looks like the update killed it.)

Reviews and other sources make it sound like it was something long-awaited. Were people really clamoring for a button to take them to the Metro screen?

jwk94

So windows 8.1 broke my touchpad. I can no longer tap with two fingers to right-click. Can somebody help me?

Jzero

Probably kicking a long-decomposed horse carcass at this point, but I'm not understanding the inclusion of this "Start" button (as it seems to be the main or only noticeable update for desktop users, but I'm probably ignorant here I'm probably biased coming from having Start8 installed, although it looks like the update killed it.)

Reviews and other sources make it sound like it was something long-awaited. Were people really clamoring for a button to take them to the Metro screen?

Regular folk are too dumb for new technology so when they saw there was no more start button they got stuck and didn't know what to do. I'm a power user but i still prefer a button being there. I just got used to it.

I don't think it was a "long awaited" feature though.

People wanted the start button and old start menu. Microsoft is just trolling people putting it back and having it take people to Metro. Atleast they added little tips on how to use Metro this time.

Zabka

Yup. It wasn't a huge deal for me personally but almost every person I've had to explain hot corners to hated it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I think for a lot of casual users, the lack of button was the big Win 8 misstep. They'd look at the desktop and think "how do I even launch a program??". So they have been appeased.

For power users, the big Win 8 complaint was over the lack of the old start menu itself, of course. But I don't think this was really the big source of concern in the mainstream casual world.

And there's also the fact that if you say "the start button is coming back" a lot of people think its completely gone back to the old way, and I think every review just has to address that.

Elija2

Microsoft just updated the Solitaire app to use the new snap views. I'm surprised it took until after 8.1 was released for them to update it, and the other game apps like Minesweeper and Mahjong haven't been updated yet either. All of their apps should have been compatible with the new snap views long ago while 8.1 was still in preview.

Yup. It wasn't a huge deal for me personally but almost every person I've had to explain hot corners to hated it.

Yeah personally didn't see the need for it, but I personally saw quite a few people need to have the bottom-left is Start explained to them. In all fairness 8.0 throws a lot of new UI/UX at you and explains almost none of it.

Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 has to re-index all the files or to defrag the hard drive? My hard drive working like crazy, and the drops in performance are really strange. My only guess it's that is doing those two things.

nillapuddin

having so many issues getting this crap to install (Laptop running 8.1 preview) I want to brick this damn laptop, posting for future success story follow up/pleading for help later

(yes Ive tried everything from every post before me, sans downloading iso)

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I was hoping 8.1 would solve my issue but it hasn't. I have some weird syncing issue with the People App and Skype. I can't remove the Skype account at all from the People App. I was hoping that having Skype built in would fix it but it hasn't. Any ideas what I can do?

Holy shit. So.

Tried a clean boot. Nope. Tried a system restore. Nope. Then I found a Windows help page that suggested using 8.1's "restore PC" feature that basically does a fresh install for you. Yay, it worked! I have a mouse again!

Only now Windows won't activate. Thanks, built-in-feature!

Well, my brother had an error where there was a watermark on 8.1 which said this:

746844abf736c398f84693e4f1a64e4e.png

It took awhile to fix because we had tried a million and one different solutions because Microsoft has no solutions up on the website other than to call the OEM and get them to deal with it. The solution ended up being telling bios to revert to default.

White Man

Well, my brother had an error where there was a watermark on 8.1 which said this:

It took awhile to fix because we had tried a million and one different solutions because Microsoft has no solutions up on the website other than to call the OEM and get them to deal with it. The solution ended up being telling bios to revert to default.

No time frame on it, but this is a bug that will be fixed in future versions of the install.

I just turned on SecureBoot and generated keys in my motherboard BIOS (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) and that fixed things.

White Man

I just turned on SecureBoot and generated keys in my motherboard BIOS (ASRock Z77 Extreme4) and that fixed things.

That doesn't work for everyone--some machines use non-standard secure boot signatures, and it makes it more difficult to simply re-enable via bios/uefi advanced boot options. It really shouldn't be turning off secure boot on install in the first place.

Guys I own a Surface RT too and my Main PC got the message from the Windows Store to update. The Surface RT however shows the new Facebook app and all but no message to update to 8.1, what gives? :(

My update went well, I think the improvements are nice. I am having an issue with Google though... If I search for anything, the results are displayed in a very narrow, vertical way. I get one word per line. It's strange. Anyone know how to fix it?

*This is what is looks like:
r2sAY5s.png

Zabka

Does anyone know if Windows 8.1 has to re-index all the files or to defrag the hard drive? My hard drive working like crazy, and the drops in performance are really strange. My only guess it's that is doing those two things.

Is your drive usage pegged at 100%? That's a Windows 8 issue that's been going on for a while. I've ran into it a bunch of times and the only thing that helps is running a chkdsk on boot.

PizzaFarmer

Guys I own a Surface RT too and my Main PC got the message from the Windows Store to update. The Surface RT however shows the new Facebook app and all but no message to update to 8.1, what gives? :(
Try navigating to this site in Internet Explorer. It will jump to the Store page for the 8.1 download.

ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade

Windows 8.1 broke Google for me. Like, literally. All the text is pushed way to the left, making it unusable, and even trying to do image searches is unbearably bad. It isn't like this on any other computer in my house. Anybody else seeing this issue?

Zeknurn

It's probably due to how Google.com interacts with the useragent of IE11. It wouldn't surprise me that they are applying some IE6 fix that breaks everything.

edit: Actually, I can't reproduce it so I have no idea what might be causing it.

Forsythia

I'm experiencing the Google thing as well, but that's just since today. Had no problems with Google right after installing 8.1, but now it's fucked up.

I'm experiencing the Google thing as well, but that's just since today. Had no problems with Google right after installing 8.1, but now it's fucked up.

It's probably after I did that system update. Seems like such a crazy problem to have. Did you install the new Windows 8.1 updates? I have 8.1 installed now on a laptop, and the problem isn't there, but I haven't done the new update on the laptop yet.

SystemsGo

Banned
Couldn't install because it detected driver errors and it reverted back to regular Windows 8. Might as well, now that I'm reading about so many different problems after installing. Will try again at a later time when it gets patched up.

cchum

Holy shit. So.

Tried a clean boot. Nope. Tried a system restore. Nope. Then I found a Windows help page that suggested using 8.1's "restore PC" feature that basically does a fresh install for you. Yay, it worked! I have a mouse again!

Only now Windows won't activate. Thanks, built-in-feature!

Same thing is happening to me. Says my PC needs to be repaired, but a file is missing. How do I fix this?

HALP

PS. Screw you Microsoft.

peakish

Blech, the update failed for me but at least Windows was able to revert to regular 8 instead of bricking the install. I'll try again later sometime, I'm not really in a rush since it doesn't seem to have very many updates interesting me. Still, polish is polish.

Blablurn

Is it worth upgrading to Win8 yet? Im a gamer so have the compatibility problems been fixed?

I never encountered any compatibility problems. And I played a shitton of games in my Windows 8 laptop. I think it's worth it. Give ur PC a new look!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is it worth upgrading to Win8 yet? Im a gamer so have the compatibility problems been fixed?
Apart from it looking different. There is not a single compelling reason to update from Win7.

gohepcat

Banned
Apart from it looking different. There is not a single compelling reason to update from Win7.

Better battery life and faster performance for one. Lots of small changes under the hood that make it a better OS.

Hundreds of them actually.

I understand why someone wouldn't upgrade, but it's a nice OS and it's how Windows is going to look and feel for the next 20 years, so...you can get used to it now, or switch OS's.

There were not really a lot of compatibility problems, but you will always have those with a limited amount of software.

I found it worth upgrading to win 8 with the introductory pricing of $30, now, unless you can find it cheap I cannot really recommend it yet.

Top Bottom