• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

dLMN8R

I don't know about other apps. I mean, any 8 apps will continue working identically on 8.1, but there will probably be updates to design guidelines and recommendations.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I assume this will be fairly stable? the consumer preview was pretty good in that regard.
I'm guessing that's what the arrow is for:

YdraFi6.jpg
yep same as windows phone. In fact windows 8 is taking a lot of stuff from windows phone, which is good news.

Quick

Banned
So, ModernMix is pretty awesome. I never bothered with Metro apps because of how apps are full screen, now I can have it open on the desktop without a hitch. Instantly made Windows 8 an even better experience for me.

Azih

Alright, I am having a bizarre issue with my desktop that wasn't there before. After the PC 'goes to sleep' and logs me back out to the lock screen it takes a LONG time after clicking for the lock screen to click away to the login screen. Like 30 seconds or more. No idea what could be causing it.

Any idea on this? Are there at least any logs I can access to try to figure out why the pause is happening? It's kinda ruined the blazing I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW FAST THIS IS aspect of the OS for me :(

maeh2k

People always overstate the 'confusion' caused by Windows RT. It's getting ridiculous. Especially since whenever someone writes about it, it's always someone who isn't actually confused by it and is just speculating how confusing it is for the general public.

Netbook 2.0: Microsoft's small tablets with free Office are a recipe for confusion

Small tablets now come with Office. How is that confusing anyone? Just put a sticker on the box. 'comes with Office'. And done.

Windu

desktop settings menu showing off some stuff

4fsWsaC.jpg

also fingerprint authentication stuff demoed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_NXDc2OUpA&feature=player_embedded

edit: and here is a video that shows off the start screen and a little bit of how the start button works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTR8_-UVmHc

also Lenovo is bringing a 8 inch 16:10 tablet with 3G and Pen support http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/4402924/lenovo-miix-8-windows-tablet-3g-stylus

i assume it is Windows 8 and not RT, although it does look awfully thin.

WJFTnAI.jpg

6I71U8E.png

Windu

new store

9DweSEL.jpg

looks a lot better

Also better image of the settings menu from above

aIiSMh5.jpg

Edit: images are from this long computex presentation. Haven't watched it myself but it looks like they demo 8.1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gr1rDjcDZU&feature=player_embedded

edit: demo starts around 22 min

edit2: camera man is terrible though

edit3: talk about the desktop at 40 min

edit4: store at 51

edit5: ends at about 53.

Edit6: small devices at 1:21 including that lenovo from above

Razdek

Banned
There's 80,000 modern apps in the store? It feels way less than that and the quality for most of them are really poor. They need more high profile apps asap.

stktt

Banned
There's 80,000 modern apps in the store? It feels way less than that and the quality for most of them are really poor. They need more high profile apps asap.

There are thousands of barely altered "X Celebrity Fan App" and "Learn How To Play This Thing" apps on the market.

dLMN8R

Anyone know how the 8.1 Preview will work? Do we have to do a fresh install?

You'll be able to update to the Preview through the Store. But since it's a preview, it won't just show up. There are a couple other steps you'll need to take before it'll appear in the Store - once you see it there, though, it's a single click to install.

Going from the preview to the final, you'll again be able to upgrade through the Store, but since you're using a preview version, it'll be a clean install + data migration. Meaning that all your user files and such will remain, but you'll need to reinstall apps and such.

Lynn616

You'll be able to update to the Preview through the Store. But since it's a preview, it won't just show up. There are a couple other steps you'll need to take before it'll appear in the Store - once you see it there, though, it's a single click to install.

Going from the preview to the final, you'll again be able to upgrade through the Store, but since you're using a preview version, it'll be a clean install + data migration. Meaning that all your user files and such will remain, but you'll need to reinstall apps and such.

Ok good. I was hoping it would work like that. Thanks.

It's worth noting that Microsoft have said that if you choose to upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1 RTM, bypassing the preview, you won't have to reinstall any apps. It's only from 8.1 preview to 8.1 RTM that you'll have to reinstall.

When going from preview to final, will the sync features of 8.1 be already in place? Meaning, after I install the final I can redownload all metro apps that were installed and restore my start screen layout? Or that will only work from final onwards?

Jzero

I guess i won't be installing the preview on my main machine then.

When going from preview to final, will the sync features of 8.1 be already in place? Meaning, after I install the final I can redownload all metro apps that were installed and restore my start screen layout? Or that will only work from final onwards?

Assuming the sync feature exists in the preview, then I don't see why you couldn't just do that, however, the apps will need to be reinstalled (even if the system does it automatically when you sign in). Your data "outside dontcallitMetro" shouldn't be touched, though.

What's the release date for 8.1 preview?

EDIT: NM, just saw June 26th. Have they said you can go from 8.1 preview to the 8.1 RC/final (when available), without reinstalling?

Windu

What's the release date for 8.1 preview?

EDIT: NM, just saw June 26th. Have they said you can go from 8.1 preview to the 8.1 RC/final (when available), without reinstalling?
24th or something. Whenever Microsoft Build starts.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How do game saves work for say something like Jetpack Joyride? Is that in the cloud? If not can I grab my save file before I install the preview?

How do game saves work for say something like Jetpack Joyride? Is that in the cloud? If not can I grab my save file before I install the preview?

App settings are going to be saved in the cloud, once you have the preview. Not sure about save games. Hopefully it's not like Windows Phone, where you're going to lose everything.

App settings are going to be saved in the cloud, once you have the preview. Not sure about save games. Hopefully it's not like Windows Phone, where you're going to lose everything.

Aren't they already? Many apps i have stay completely in sync across my devices. From what i recall from last year's talk at build, each app has a local and a roam data folder, and whatever is saved on the roam folder gets synced automatically on the cloud.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

When you say reinstall apps do you mean metro apps or all your desktop software as well?

dLMN8R

hoookay, let's try to tackle all these questions :)

Yes, the sync features will be in the preview, but the thing about sync features is that something in the sync schema could always change between the preview and final. Whether because of bugs the team didn't discover until it was too late, or because of new features introduced, syncing and roaming everything between preview and final may be disabled to prevent corruption due to a new schema version.

I'm actually guessing that won't be the case, since syncing between the preview and final would be remarkably helpful and cool and because syncing/roaming has been pretty stable and reliable for a while now, but there are no guarantees.

If nothing breaks along the way, then you're right. When you go from the preview to final, your start screen layout will roam automatically, and your modern apps will automatically start installing to reach the same configuration you had in the preview.

Desktop stuff, of course, won't be so lucky.

Aren't they already? Many apps i have stay completely in sync across my devices. From what i recall from last year's talk at build, each app has a local and a roam data folder, and whatever is saved on the roam folder gets synced automatically on the cloud.
In Windows 8, only an extremely limited amount of data roams between PCs. In 8.1 there's a bit more added into it, but I'm not sure exactly what, or if game save data is one of those things. It could depend on whether the app developer followed recommended guidelines for app data or did custom things. I'll try it out for you with Jetpack Joyride :)

When you say reinstall apps do you mean metro apps or all your desktop software as well?
Everything. It's like picking the middle item in this dialog when upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8:

windows-8-upgrade-1.jpg

All your documents/music/etc. personal files will be there, but you'll need to reinstall all desktop/modern applications.

Paul Thurrott is saying August 1st for 8.1 final. (8/1)
And Paul has gotten a lot wrong about Windows 8.1 in the past :)

(Such as when he and Mary Jo Foley asserted that "Blue" was merely a service pack being worked on by the "SE" team and Windows 9 was in development by the "real" Windows team)

I'll just say this - if Windows 8.1 is coming out on August 1st, then holy fucking shit are we fucked!

smerfy

Banned
Who here is decent with networking?

I'm usually doing a remote-in thru my surface RT to my home PC, but I'm getting some amount of packet loss on video. Wondering if there's anything i can do to clean it up.

dLMN8R

needs to hurry up. snapping improvements are going to be huge.

Trust me when I say you really really don't want it quite yet :p

Remember: the preview is a genuine pre-release version. It's not just lacking features that will be in the final product.

Windu

Trust me when I say you really really don't want it quite yet :p

Remember: the preview is a genuine pre-release version. It's not just lacking features that will be in the final product.
....i still want it lol. Is it as stable as the consumer preview? didn't have much problems with that.

I'm still wondering what the point is though, and what it'll do that mobile.HD doesn't already do.

That's one of the worst arguments ever, when it comes to software and competition.

What's the point of IE, and what it'll do that Chrome/Firefox doesn't already do.

Top Bottom