• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
i recently keep stalling now and then. i think it could be malware but i am not sure. any recommendations for what programs i should use to check?

Does anyone know if there's a reader for Google Play Books?

I have Comixology for comics, GMusicW for Google Music, but would like to have a look at a decent reader for Google books.

velociraptor

My dad has a new laptop. It has Windows 8. Feels awful in every way possible. It's a heavily handicapped OS. Don't see the point of it.

GAF, what do I need to do to make W8 more tolerable?

Razdek

Banned
Tried Start8 and it is pretty awesome. Why Microsoft thought they knew better than users and removed the start menu is just one of the reasons why people hate Windows 8. Sorry, the start screen is no substitute for a start menu.

My taskbar is permanently visible now despite being set to hidden when not scrolled over, what's up? I did recently buy a rift but I unplugged it, restarted, and set back to single monitor use and the issue remains.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tried Start8 and it is pretty awesome. Why Microsoft thought they knew better than users and removed the start menu is just one of the reasons why people hate Windows 8. Sorry, the start screen is no substitute for a start menu.

Eh, I hardly ever used the start menu. I don't understand how hard it is for people to pin there most used programs on the start screen rather than fishing through the start menu.

Razdek

Banned
Eh, I hardly ever used the start menu. I don't understand how hard it is for people to pin there most used programs on the start screen rather than fishing through the start menu.

How about Microsoft give users the option to whether or not to use the Start Menu or not. Would that have been too hard for them to do? That way people who's workflow uses it frequently can use it and for others like yourself don't have to. This all or nothing mentality they have is wrong and not the best approach.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
How about Microsoft give users the option to whether or not to use the Start Menu or not. Would that have been too hard for them to do? That way people who's workflow uses it frequently can use it and for others like yourself don't have to. This all or nothing mentality they have is wrong and not the best approach.

That's true, no reason not have options.

Aizo

Banned
I just got a new computer yesterday, and while there are many improvements in 8, I find myself confused about small conveniences that were removed or hidden.

One convenience that I'd really like back is being able to see video details when hovering or after one click. Windows 7 would tell me the length in hours and mins as well as the resolution of the file. Is there anyway to get this back? I have upwards of a thousand videos, so this sort of information is very helpful to be able to see at a glance.

Jzero

Did they ever fix the colors of the minimize and maximize buttons when you change the color of the taskbar in Windows 8.1 or do they still disappear when you set the color to a really dark gray?

So I just got a new laptop with Windows 8, and it's pretty OK so far (after installing Shell so I can have my Start menu back), but I have one problem. Seemingly at random, an overlay will pop up in a window on the bottom of the screen and a menu bar along the right side. It'll go away after moving the cursor around a bit, but it's really annoying and intrusive. Is there any way to get it to stop doing this?

stktt

Banned
So I just got a new laptop with Windows 8, and it's pretty OK so far (after installing Shell so I can have my Start menu back), but I have one problem. Seemingly at random, an overlay will pop up in a window on the bottom of the screen and a menu bar along the right side. It'll go away after moving the cursor around a bit, but it's really annoying and intrusive. Is there any way to get it to stop doing this?

On 8, not without a third party application. There's an option to disable it in 8.1.

joshschw

check your mouse settings. It is probably a gesture on your trackpad

U2NUMB

Bought a new laptop over the weekend.. has touch screen which is handy however I am very frustrated with google chrome. I had Windows 8 on 2 other computers and never had this issue but now chrome seems to be a metro app and not desktop based. This is driving me crazy.

I have tried a few things online that I have found but nothing has worked. Anyone know how to make Chrome open into desktop and never come close to the metro style app they are trying to force on us?

If not I am going to have to swtich to firefox or something else... I just do not know why anyone would want a traditional looking browser buried in an app.

U2NUMB

Have you downloaded Chrome via the app store? If so that's your problem.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Have it working as normal in desktop mode in Windows 8.

That is exactly where I downloaded it from. Skype does the same thing but they offer a desktop mode version to download. My worry is that with the touch screen I can tell its the same Windows 8 that is on the tablets as I can see the touch keyboard icon in the bottom tray. So no matter how I download chrome from their own site it acts like an app.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I will keep at it.

Edit: Alright figured it out.. you have to right click the three lines under the X in the top right and say Relaunch Chrome in Desktop mode. It is my understanding that you may have to do that every time you close and then re open Chrome but I am happy

sangreal

just go to settings->relaunch chrome in desktop mode

no need to redownload. it will remember the setting

edit:
Edit: Alright figured it out.. you have to right click the three lines under the X in the top right and say Relaunch Chrome in Desktop mode. It is my understanding that you may have to do that every time you close and then re open Chrome but I am happy

you only have to do it once

lenovox1

That is exactly where I downloaded it from. Skype does the same thing but they offer a desktop mode version to download. My worry is that with the touch screen I can tell its the same Windows 8 that is on the tablets as I can see the touch keyboard icon in the bottom tray. So no matter how I download chrome from their own site it acts like an app.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I will keep at it.

If Chrome is your default browser, it'll keep throwing you to the full screen "Windows 8" experience. I'm sure you've already done this, but IE's got to be the default for others that don't know.

sangreal

If Chrome is your default browser, it'll keep throwing you to the full screen "Windows 8" experience. I'm sure you've already done this, but IE's got to be the default for others that don't know.

only the default browser works in metro mode, but you don't need to make another browser default to get chrome to work in non-metro mode

Reave

Need some help, guys.

Had to wipe my hard drive and do a clean W8 install. Everything is back to normal, but for some reason font rendering is atrocious on certain websites. Didn't used to look this bad before. It's mainly web fonts, to be more specific. No browser renders it any different -- just choppy and hideous.

I've been told it's a driver issue, but I think I have everything downloaded and updated unless I missed something. Acer Aspire 5740, by the way. Sorry, I'm not a Windows wizard at all.

MrBig

Need some help, guys.

Had to wipe my hard drive and do a clean W8 install. Everything is back to normal, but for some reason font rendering is atrocious on certain websites. Didn't used to look this bad before. It's mainly web fonts, to be more specific. No browser renders it any different -- just choppy and hideous.

I've been told it's a driver issue, but I think I have everything downloaded and updated unless I missed something. Acer Aspire 5740, by the way. Sorry, I'm not a Windows wizard at all.

Search "cleartype" on the start menu settings search path and run that utility, it may relate to that. It may also be a bad default font in the browsers.

Nero3000

Need some help, guys.

Check that windows is properly recognizing your graphics card and has the right/updated drivers.

usually the main cause.

Milchjon

Something else about the Foursquare app, from Wired:

But the coolest of the app’s features is also probably the most telling about Foursquare’s immediate future. From anywhere on the OS, users can choose Foursquare to power their search. So say you’re curious about the best pizza place in a neighborhood—you could search via Bing, but why not just use Foursquare since it has that data on the ready? Making sure the information culled from Foursquare’s 4 billion check ins and 30,000 tips is as accessible and consumable as possible was the main goal of the design.

It was so important that even non-registered users can access Foursquare’s search and recommendation functionalities without signing up for an account. Baking Foursquare search into the OS is a clever and important move that could help make the service a more instinctual choice when it comes to looking for localized businesses.

Reave

Check that windows is properly recognizing your graphics card and has the right/updated drivers.

usually the main cause.

Definitely have all my drivers updated, but I still think that's the root of the issue somehow. ClearType is working fine.

Ran virtually every W8 troubleshooter and it's saying everything is normal, but that doesn't explain why fonts look so much worse than my prior W8 install. Stumped.

Here's how it's rendering it, versus how it used to look.
wrongrender.png

correctrender.png

PG2G

Just installed the Foursquare app. It is very well designed... but relying on user submitted pictures to make up such a large part of the UI is a recipe for disaster. Most of them are super low res and look like crap

Just installed the Foursquare app. It is very well designed... but relying on user submitted pictures to make up such a large part of the UI is a recipe for disaster. Most of them are super low res and look like crap

Don't worry about that. It will get better, once more people buy and use Lumia 92x or 1020.

Top Bottom