• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 / RT |OT|

dLMN8R

What is the point of foursquare on a tablet? The reason it doesn't have a native tablet version for iOS or Android is probably because it's useless, and nothing else. The entire point of Foursquare is to check into places you're currently at and discover new places, both of which are far better on a smart phone.

royalan

What is the point of foursquare on a tablet? The reason it doesn't have a native tablet version for iOS or Android is probably because it's useless, and nothing else. The entire point of Foursquare is to check into places you're currently at and discover new places, both of which are far better on a smart phone.

Eh - I just checked into a coffee shop I'm studying at using my laptop.

And the browsing experience is MUCH better on my laptop.

If i'm on the go and don't have my laptop out, of course I'll use my phone to check in places. But I'm parked somewhere with my laptop, or just at home browsing for new places to go or any specials in the area, I'm almost CERTAINLY going to use my laptop now. Much better experience.

Any official reason why developers and MSDN subscribers won't get 8.1 early? Really surprising, considering the Windows Store is lacking in every way and could use the dev support.

Milchjon

Pretty sure they're trying to change the whole focus of Foursquare. Try to make it some kind of discovery/recommendation thing, which you could just as well use from home.

Related: MS is apparently looking to invest in Foursquare.

Any official reason why developers and MSDN subscribers won't get 8.1 early? Really surprising, considering the Windows Store is lacking in every way and could use the dev support.

Thurrot has been bitter about this for days on Twitter. Probably his site too.

I always wondered where you got that nickname, since you are nit German, right brotkasten? Isn't Brotkasten the German nickname for the commodore 64, which roughly translates to bread box?

Anyone ever get this error?
qxMW0ka.gif

I've tried everything. I used a couple of microsoft fix it tools, one method calls for starting and stopping windowsupdateservice and renaming a file. It's nothing major since I don't really use metro apps, but it's nagging on my soul.

Edit: Fixed it myself doing Windows and X key then select Command Prompt (Admin)
net stop wuauserv
cd\windows
rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bck
net start wuauserv

Didn't work last night. I must have typoed or something

Anyone ever get this error?
qxMW0ka.gif

I've tried everything. I used a couple of microsoft fix it tools, one method calls for starting and stopping windowsupdateservice and renaming a file. It's nothing major since I don't really use metro apps, but it's nagging on my soul.

Edit: Fixed it myself doing Windows and X key then select Command Prompt (Admin)
net stop wuauserv
cd\windows
rename SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bck
net start wuauserv

Didn't work last night. I must have typoed or something

I've had it for about a week now. Annoying as fuck and I can't find a solution either.

Suen

So I'm getting Windows 8 with my new PC but I'm unsure what OS to choose. I've been using Windows XP in like...forever but have used Windows 7 several times to feel somewhat comfortable with how it works. I have no experience in using Windows 8 nor do I know anything about it or if it's stable and so on. Should I go with W7 or is W8 good and enough stable now to be considered as a good update from W7?

So I'm getting Windows 8 with my new PC but I'm unsure what OS to choose. I've been using Windows XP in like...forever but have used Windows 7 several times to feel somewhat comfortable with how it works. I have no experience in using Windows 8 nor do I know anything about it or if it's stable and so on. Should I go with W7 or is W8 good and enough stable now to be considered as a good update from W7?

I prefer Windows 8 to 7.
Not a huge reason to upgrade from 7 to 8, but if you're coming from XP, I'd say just go straight to 8.

Suen

I prefer Windows 8 to 7.
Not a huge reason to upgrade from 7 to 8, but if you're coming from XP, I'd say just go straight to 8.
Thanks, will consider that. More opinions are welcome.

edit: another question, are most sofware out there compatible with Windows 8?

Thanks, will consider that. More opinions are welcome.

edit: another question, are most sofware out there compatible with Windows 8?

I've yet to find anything that worked on Windows 7, that doesn't work on Windows 8.
Apart from GFWL at one point, but that seems to be fixed now. (I went back to 7 for a while, and am now back on 8 and all the issues I had before seem fixed re GFWL.)

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I got Windows 8 at launch for my main desktop workstation and while I loved it, I still primarily spent most of my time in desktop mode; not because I hate Metro or anything but because most of the tools I used for my job were only available on desktop.

Last week, I got the first generation Lenovo Lynx for a stupid price ($369 + tax) and I rarely ever see the desktop. I still have to pop into it for IE when I do an online course that uses embedded active-x media player, otherwise I'm always in metro.

I have to say, the features people complained about (that I never found as an annoyance or a hindrance personally) are now a god-send on a tablet. It's like the OS and UI speaks a second set of languages you can't understand unless you are on touch/tablet. This is by far the best tablet OS available. Say what you will about the lack of Metro software but running full windows, I kind of feel ridiculously overpowered when I leave the house with this baby (LOL... that this is supposedly a lower-end Win8 tablet... god lord!)

Guri

I think you should try, since Windows 8 has many under the hood improvements for speed and stability. If you don't like the modern UI, just use Start8 and it's like a better Windows 7, in my opinion.

Suen

Thanks very much guys. I'll give Windows 8 a try and see how it works, having the option to choose between metro or not helps lots. Developing software with some common languages doesn't seem to have some annoying problems or such from what I've read so far so that should be fine too. I'll see how it works out, thanks!

The metro font size keeps changing to the default size(instead of the smaller option) seemingly at random which is kind of frustrating. Is there reason as to why it's doing this and how can one fix it?

Zeknurn

Would someone please make a list of all the announced 8.1 devices at IFA?

It's basically like usual, everything not from Lenovo looks pretty bad. I highly recommend not looking at the Toshiba 8" tablet if you want to keep your eyesight.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-hands-on/
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/lenovo-yoga-2-pro-hands-on/

I'm very tempted to get the Yoga 2 Pro instead of the mildly updated Surface Pro 2. A 3,200 x 1,800 screen at 1100$ is quite compelling.

maeh2k

It's basically like usual, everything not from Lenovo looks pretty bad. I highly recommend not looking at the Toshiba 8" tablet if you want to keep your eyesight.

I'm very tempted to get the Yoga 2 Pro instead of the mildly updated Surface Pro 2. A 3,200 x 1,800 screen at 1100$ is quite compelling.

The Yoga 2 Pro seems really great. I think that's the perfect resolution, since you still get 1600x900 screen space with pixel doubling. Great price considering the screen, too. Now if only it had an active digitizer.

Sony's new Vaio Flip is great, too. It may not have that resolution, but it does have an active digitizer and no keyboard on the back in tablet mode.

Edit: just read the preview of the Thinkpad Yoga. Sounds quite interesting, too. "Only" Full HD on 12.5", but the keyboard flattens on the back and there's an optional active digitizer.

Article from Zdnet: http://www.zdnet.com/lenovo-doubles-down-on-convertible-pc-bet-yoga-tizes-lineup-7000020187/

I'm really looking forward to the reviews for all those new devices. It's about time I replace my notebook.

MCD

Toshiba's pricing is ace though.

MS needed these prices when Win8 launched.

Zeknurn

The Yoga 2 Pro seems really great. I think that's the perfect resolution, since you still get 1600x900 screen space with pixel doubling. Great price considering the screen, too. Now if only it had an active digitizer.

Sony's new Vaio Flip is great, too. It may not have that resolution, but it does have an active digitizer and no keyboard on the back in tablet mode.

Edit: just read the preview of the Thinkpad Yoga. Sounds quite interesting, too. "Only" Full HD on 12.5", but the keyboard flattens on the back and there's an optional active digitizer.

Article from Zdnet: http://www.zdnet.com/lenovo-doubles-down-on-convertible-pc-bet-yoga-tizes-lineup-7000020187/

I'm really looking forward to the reviews for all those new devices. It's about time I replace my notebook.

The possibility of having an active digitiser in the Thinkpad Yoga makes it very interesting as well.

Tom Warren posted a Vine of the Lift and Lock in action
https://vine.co/v/hJ5qiQvXYz1

I wonder how durable it is.

He also posted a picture of three apps running side-by-side on the 3200x1200 13" display

jagowar

Speaking of new hardware are there any good small desktop computers these days? Seems the only one I can find is the lenovo m series tiny (that has core i5 and at least 4 gigs of ram).

I have a chromebox now and I think its time to replace it with something that can run win8.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wish we'd seen more tablet + detachable keyboard combos announced but then again I suppose I never really use mine as a tablet so I should probably stop kidding myself into thinking it was a good purchase.

Great to see interesting devices coming with Haswell though, seems like the transforming tech is moving along really quickly.

Wonder if we'll see Apple adopt touch in Macbooks or not, they are starting to look like the final hold out.

I'm really curious about the Bay Trail chip. Apparently it's about as fast as 4 1.5 GHz Jaguar cores, but the lack of announced devices and and TDP or ANYTHING doesn't spell confidence.

In other news: Lenovo declared Windows RT dead.

Speaking at Lenovo’s 2013 press conference at IFA Germany, Lenovo executive answered during Q&A session that there is no need for Windows RT devices. He said that with the arrival of power efficient processors like Intel Haswell and Bat Trail, you no need to have a choice between long battery life and good performance. Users will be able to run full Windows 8 and also enjoy a full day of battery life from a single charge, so there’s is not much need for a low-power version that runs Windows RT.

maeh2k

I'm really curious about the Bay Trail chip. Apparently it's about as fast as 4 1.5 GHz Jaguar cores, but the lack of announced devices and and TDP or ANYTHING doesn't spell confidence.

In other news: Lenovo declared Windows RT dead.

There's no need for RT because for cheaper ARM devices everyone has already settled on Android. But they'll probably happily continue to sell overpriced Atom tablets.

I don't know. The Toshiba 8" might not be their finest product, but you can't really complain at 329 for that. Unless Apple puts a retina display into the mini and keeps the price the same. Then you can call it overpriced.

Azih

It's not so much low power as low price that's the problem. Win8 can't compete on the low end of the tablet/hybrid space without WinRT.

Zeknurn

I don't know. The Toshiba 8" might not be their finest product, but you can't really complain at 329 for that. Unless Apple puts a retina display into the mini and keeps the price the same. Then you can call it overpriced.

Thurrot said on WW that it was going to be 279$ but for some reason they went with 329$ instead.

At 279$ it would have been a good deal but at 329$ you might as well add the extra cash and buy something that isn't made by Fisherprice

maeh2k

RT has a chance of merging to Windows Phone.

Knowing Microsoft, this will probably take forever and come out too late.

The nice thing about RT is, that it doesn't matter if no one sells those devices now. Since Windows 8 apps will also work on RT, the situation for RT will get better even if no one buys the devices.

Knowing Microsoft, this will probably take forever and come out too late.

The nice thing about RT is, that it doesn't matter if no one sells those devices now. Since Windows 8 apps will also work on RT, the situation for RT will get better even if no one buys the devices.

But with the death of RT, what's the incentive for developers to focus on WinRT apps? The Windows 8 market share is already bigger than OS X and the app situation isn't nearly as good.

Zeknurn

But with the death of RT, what's the incentive for developers to focus on WinRT apps? The Windows 8 market share is already bigger than OS X and the app situation isn't nearly as good.

What you need to look at is the Windows 8 tablet and touch laptop marketshare and not the overall marketshare.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Can you guys help me with somthing? I have a problem with the people app. It shows I have a MS account and a Skype account linked, but the problem is that I do not have a Skype account linked and it still shows the icon in the upper right corner. I tried contacting MS but so far no help.

maeh2k

Windows RT was never a big incentive to focus on WinRT apps. Touch on Windows 8 is/was. But there's no incentive to focus on WinRT, anyway. MS is fucked. The app situations may end up the same as on Windows Phone, which is sufficient for people who use barely any apps, but Android has won.

Would be hilarious if Chrome apps got better developer support than Windows 8/RT/Phone.

Top Bottom