• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HTC Titan rebooted by itself today and now it's on an endless boot cycle. Tried using the hardware button method for factory resetting (vol up and down + power), but after the reset the boot cycle/loop persists. Only way to shut it down is by removing the battery. Anybody have any ideas as to how to fix the darn thing? XDA and google search aren't being too helpful. BTW it's totally stock and needs the updates that AT&T have been holding out on; no modifications, rom flashes, or forced updates on it.

I have the update and mine was rebooting couple times yesterday, this is the first time I have this phone reboot on me. I am not sure what going on (my feeling is it's one of the app running in the background...probably that MyStock App since it's the last thing I install.) I also have problem connecting and downloading podcast from Marketplace. The download keep stalling out.

Commodore

So after using twabbit for a day, I've discovered it does something that I haven't seen any of the other third party twitter apps do. It'll jump where you left off even when you are past whatever setting you have on number of tweets per refresh. Which makes it fantastic at keeping track of your feed. Every other app, Carbon, rowi, mehdoh, it would open up and it'd refresh per my setting, but if I was hours and hours behind on my feed I'd had to request another refresh and then scroll down and down until I found where I was. Twabbit just jumps down to my spot and I can refresh till all the tweets I've missed are there.

Only two cons now are no Read it Later support and the design is still full of blah. Very interested in seeing what mehdoh 2.0 brings to the table now.

Is there any way to take a screenshot?

You could if you have unlock phone and run homebrew app.

I went to check out One-X today and if they put Windows Phone 8 on that I would jump on it over Nokia Lumia. It has great camera, beautiful screen and very light. Too bad it's run shitty Sense on top of Android or I might have jump ship.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You could if you have unlock phone and run homebrew app.

I went to check out One-X today and if they put Windows Phone 8 on that I would jump on it over Nokia Lumia. It has great camera, beautiful screen and very light. Too bad it's run shitty Sense on top of Android or I might have jump ship.

Currently IMO the best phone out there on the Market. It's like the dawn of a new day for HTC in terms of build design. They really did wonders with their polycarbonite casing and such. The specs and the screen are hella impressive too.

The only downside is sense is semi gimped compared to regular ICS in a few ways, and I'm not a pure sense hater either. It's just undeniable some things are gimped.

Still the One series and the X specifically is light years beyond any other Android phone including the latest Nexus. I'd argue it's better than the GSIII which hasn't even released yet in some ways.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The One X gave me Android envy for the first time since I abandoned the platform a year and a half ago. Gives me hope for Jellybean, but by then wp8 will be out so it'll be interesting to see how they compare. WP8 on powerful hardware is going to be tough to beat for me.

JaggedSac

Wow, Yelp finally decided to update their app. Haven't had a chance to see if it is a decent sized update though.

EDIT: Nope, still sucks.

strata8

The One X gave me Android envy for the first time since I abandoned the platform a year and a half ago. Gives me hope for Jellybean, but by then wp8 will be out so it'll be interesting to see how they compare. WP8 on powerful hardware is going to be tough to beat for me.

Really? I personally can't stand Sense at all. Stock ICS is gorgeous but the OEM modifications are just... eh.

Ugh, lame. Was the Yelp app one of the ones "bought/developed" by MS or is it true third party now?

In other news, Newegg app updated with live tile/push notifications for deals/shell shocker.

image81.png

Lol. Nokia, this is your new ad. GO

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Really? I personally can't stand Sense at all. Stock ICS is gorgeous but the OEM modifications are just... eh.

It's more the phone itself. It's got a great hardware design and ended up doing many of the same things the 900 did in terms of build parts and quality. Plus hardware wise it's king of the roost in terms of specs. I'd buy the shit out of a One X Apollo Windows Phone. It would be the #1 Nokia competitor IMO.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I think it's the best version of Sense since its lightweight and snappy, but they did screw up the multitasking. Stock ICS is the most attractive, cohesive and smooth version of Android, but I would stop short of calling it "gorgeous". Google has made big strides though, so if Apple doesn't update their design soon, they'll end up with the ugliest OS on the market. Its already the most stale and boring.

JaggedSac

It's more the phone itself. It's got a great hardware design and ended up doing many of the same things the 900 did in terms of build parts and quality. Plus hardware wise it's king of the roost in terms of specs. I'd buy the shit out of a One X Apollo Windows Phone. It would be the #1 Nokia competitor IMO.

I don't find anything great about the hardware design. Looks like a standard candy bar, like pretty much the rest of the smart phones out there.

Talon

I don't find anything great about the hardware design. Looks like a standard candy bar, like pretty much the rest of the smart phones out there.
Pick it up and feel it. The plastic feels sturdy and substantial like the Lumia 900.

The screen is phenomenal - not just the resolution and the viewing angles due to IPS, but it seems to sit closer to the surface. The camera is phenomenal - up there with the 4S.

gcubed

"wiping off the blue stains does the trick"

if you can just wipe it off it isn't really a stain is it? Its been a quick descent into shit for gizmodo.

JaggedSac

Their phones are usually pretty sturdy(my Titan feels great), but HTC designs are pretty run of the mill(as are most smart phone designs) to me. And yes, I know it has beastly hardware, but that has nothing to do with design besides, "how do I shove all this new hotness into our tired old designs"

Cipherr

Their phones are usually pretty sturdy(my Titan feels great), but HTC designs are pretty run of the mill(as are most smart phone designs) to me. And yes, I know it has beastly hardware, but that has nothing to do with design besides, "how do I shove all this new hotness into our tired old designs"

I don't know how you could even approach calling the One X bad design. Thats just ridiculous. I held a 900 and a OneX in my hands yesterday at the AT&T store. They are both extremely similar, and clearly the best designed, and best looking phones on the market by a country mile. Its not even close. If you are exclusively talking about their older phones and NOT about the OneX I could agree.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The One X is nice, but I still like the 900 more in my unbiased opinion :p

Not a fan of the way the speaker holes and camera looks on the One X. The 900 is sleeker.

Milchjon

The 900 wins on colors alone. The One X is roughly on the level of the iPhone 4 from a device design POV, number 3 behind the Lumia 800/900, IMO.

PG2G

Didn't say it was bad design. Just nothing out of the ordinary.

I could definitely see how someone wouldn't be impressed by the HTC One X design. I think it looks nice, but there is no stand out design feature that differentiates it from previous HTC phones. The white helps it a lot, the black one looks pretty boring.

htc_one_x_official-2-small.jpg

I'm sure the materials are a lot nicer though

Have you seen it in person? It feels great in hand, just big enough to give good grip yet light weight to not feel heavy. The poly carbonate is smooth even the white looks beautiful (white on Lumia is glossy and cheap).

The cyan Lumia feel heavy with annoying sharp edge compare to One x.

Oh another problem with One X on Att is that it lock down and come with all the Att stuffs ...

Cipherr

The white helps it a lot, the black one looks pretty boring.

No offense, but so does the black Lumia 900. Black candybars are just played out, hard to argue that.

The poly carbonate is smooth even the white looks beautiful (white on Lumia is glossy and cheap).

900 didnt feel cheap at all to me. Not sure why you felt that way.

Seriously? It doesn't look much different than the sensation

Yeah, seriously. Its probably the first time ever HTC has designed a decent looking phone. Go hold one, it sounds like you are judging from pictures. The praise it gets isn't an accident.

One positive note though, when I went to the ATT store yesterday, the annoying salesmen DID mention the Lumias. In fact he highlighted every LTE phone they had, never mentioned the iPhone even, so thats a big turnaround from what Im used to. They normally pretended Windows phones didnt exist. Also, 'Cloud' is their new buzzword. Goddamn he said that shit like a million times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom