• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven 8 breaks 1 million units in one day

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/06/news_6104286.html

TOKYO--Konami announced that its latest installment in the World Soccer Winning Eleven series, World Soccer Winning Eleven 8, sold a million copies on the first day of its release in Japan on August 5. Konami aims to sell 1.5 million copies of the PlayStation 2 game in Japan within the year, a first for the series. Since the first release in 1995, the popular soccer series has marked accumulated sales of 16 million worldwide. Today's announcement means that the World Soccer Winning Eleven series has sold a million copies for three installments in a row. The previous game, Winning Eleven 7, took three weeks to hit the same milestone.

Solid

ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif
ps2banana.gif

:D :D :D :D

Culex

Banned
Damn, I thought only Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy titles sold this well. Most Japanese titles don't even hit 1 million in their entire lifespan, let alone in ONE day.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Thats insane, we all knew it would break 1 million...but one day is just crazy. Who knows what it will be at in one week.

lachesis

The game is excellent, and I can see the ambitiousness in KCET's part - but it's becoming a bit too similar to Jikkyou series. For better or worse, I can take the differences because I know it will eventually settle in my playing styie - but it's a shame that the stuttering frame rates do bother me quite much - as it jitters the flow of the game. I only wish for the better framerate (although by turning down the crowd level, you could get smoother framerate), but I guess that's the preluded to the FE version - probably more balanced, more accurate, and evolved. (I think there's a pattern in WE series that first version takes the big stride, and 2nd version takes it back and sink it deep into WE's inherit system, in more balanced, more WE like way.)

Also... not applying the recent Euro 2004 stats are quite disappointing, as well as goalie AIs are just way too much. Scoring in 1 on 1 situation is much more difficult, and long-range shooting success rate has gone down quite dramatically. However, the game felt more "free and lifelike", mostly due to the ball handling, but there's gotta be a better balance.

It's good to see that a game like WE is selling well, as the series deserves mainstream notice - but it's a real shame on Konami's part not having any online support, out of date stats, weak licensing, etc...

lachesis

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
lachesis said:
The game is excellent, and I can see the ambitiousness in KCET's part - but it's becoming a bit too similar to Jikkyou series. For better or worse, I can take the differences because I know it will eventually settle in my playing styie - but it's a shame that the stuttering frame rates do bother me quite much - as it jitters the flow of the game. I only wish for the better framerate (although by turning down the crowd level, you could get smoother framerate), but I guess that's the preluded to the FE version - probably more balanced, more accurate, and evolved. (I think there's a pattern in WE series that first version takes the big stride, and 2nd version takes it back and sink it deep into WE's inherit system, in more balanced, more WE like way.)

Also... not applying the recent Euro 2004 stats are quite disappointing, as well as goalie AIs are just way too much. Scoring in 1 on 1 situation is much more difficult, and long-range shooting success rate has gone down quite dramatically. However, the game felt more "free and lifelike", mostly due to the ball handling, but there's gotta be a better balance.

It's good to see that a game like WE is selling well, as the series deserves mainstream notice - but it's a real shame on Konami's part not having any online support, out of date stats, weak licensing, etc...

lachesis

Haven't they somewhat fixed the framerate issues in the Japanese version when bringing it over to North America for WE6 & 7? I think I remember reading that somewhere, and if so thumbs up.

Meier

If I had to guess, this is only referring to units shipped... Koei released a PR about Samurai Warriors hitting 1 million soon after launch and it didn't actually hit 1 million from any of the sales tracking companies for months. Regardless, still an amazing number for Japan in its current software climate.. hell for anywhere.

Brofist

Wario64 said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/06/news_6104286.html

TOKYO--Konami announced that its latest installment in the World Soccer Winning Eleven series, World Soccer Winning Eleven 8, sold a million copies on the first day of its release in Japan on August 5. Konami aims to sell 1.5 million copies of the PlayStation 2 game in Japan within the year, a first for the series. Since the first release in 1995, the popular soccer series has marked accumulated sales of 16 million worldwide. Today's announcement means that the World Soccer Winning Eleven series has sold a million copies for three installments in a row. The previous game, Winning Eleven 7, took three weeks to hit the same milestone.

That pretty blatantly says sold unless they don't know the meaning.

Meier

kpop100 said:
That pretty blatantly says sold unless they don't know the meaning.

Err, whenever a company announces a game has "sold" X amount, they mean the shipped total as that is all they care about.

Mr Gump

Banned
This is certainly no indication that Konami is going to stop milking this series.

Soon it will be 3 games a year:

Winning Eleven 9
Wining Eleven 9I
Winning Eleven 9IFE

You watch.

It is rediculous.

Prine

Banned
^^ Who cares when each iteration is awesome

Now, where's my Xbox version! If its not XBL in PAL, then im going to pick up the PS2 version. I dont think any pad bar PS2 will work with PES4

Socreges

Banned
lachesis said:
I disagree. 1 on 1 scoring is appropriate. It just takes a little more is all. Either do a little stutter, fake shot, or whatnot before slipping it by the keeper. Or calmly dribble around him. A direct shot close in is not as easy to slip by, though.

Also, long-range shooting, I feel, is also more realistic. The biggest difference is that you need to put more juice behind the ball [on the meter] in order to get a hard shot on net. But I've adapted and have actually scored some screamers from ~25 yards out.

Mr Gump said:
This is certainly no indication that Konami is going to stop milking this series.

Soon it will be 3 games a year:

Winning Eleven 9
Wining Eleven 9I
Winning Eleven 9IFE

You watch.

It is rediculous.
But the fans clamour for them. And come back in even larger droves for the next one. So what's the problem?

Btw, there are just TWO versions released in Japan each year (do they still do J-League?). One in NA and one in Europe. And no, there won't be an FE of an International J (which is essentially the FE).

Solid

Prine said:
Now, where's my Xbox version! If its not XBL in PAL, then im going to pick up the PS2 version. I dont think any pad bar PS2 will work with PES4
I'm quite certain the Xbox version won't be online. I don't think SEABASS & Co are that stupid and arrogant to just turn their back against the PS2-players (which is about 90% of the PES-fans). It's either online on both platforms or on none. And we know the PS2 version won't be online so my bet is that it's just a regular port.

But who knows... I just can't see Konami turning their back against the fans.

Hmmm.... Gamespot says sold, Gamefront says shipped. On things regarding the japanese market I trust more Gamefront. WE8 will sell well over a million copies in this year until WE9, but I doubt it has sold a mllion copies in just one day.

megateto

This is going to be simply HUGE when it reaches €urope.

People is already going crazy for the Japanese version.

MS should pay high dollars to make the Xbox version online and better in order to get a real hit in Europe. I know lots of people who have a PS2 just to play PES. It's definetely a system seller over here.

Socreges

Banned
johnjohnson said:
Hmmm.... Gamespot says sold, Gamefront says shipped. On things regarding the japanese market I trust more Gamefront. WE8 will sell well over a million copies in this year until WE9, but I doubt it has sold a mllion copies in just one day.
Yeah, shipped.
This is going to be simply HUGE when it reaches €urope.
Considering that PES will now have the Italian (Serie A), Spanish (La Liga), and Dutch (?) licenses, I'm thinking the series will see a noticeable boost in those countries especially.

megateto

Socreges said:
Considering that PES will now have the Italian (Serie A), Spanish (La Liga), and Dutch (?) licenses, I'm thinking the series will see a noticeable boost in those countries especially.

There is an important mod scene for PES in Europe, you can patch PES3 so that you get all the real names, faces, equipment, ads.. even what the people sing in the stadium.

Socreges

Banned
megateto said:
There is an important mod scene for PES in Europe, you can patch PES3 so that you get all the real names, faces, equipment, ads.. even what the people sing in the stadium.
Not just Europe. I'm in Canada and I've always got the latest patches.

Regardless, there are millions of gamers that don't have their system chipped and would appreciate the appropriate licenses.

Brofist

Meier said:
Err, whenever a company announces a game has "sold" X amount, they mean the shipped total as that is all they care about.

Guess I'm too much of an amateur to these sales age topics..

Just so I know, since sold really means shipped...the other times when the company says "such and such amount shipped"...what does that really mean?

Meier

They just use the terms interchangeably. Although the company doesn't want there to be a huge excess of inventory in stores because it can cause retailer backlash -- once they've sold their product to them, then that's it. They receive nothing from physical sales at the store.

Miburou

I wonder if today's win will give the game even more of a boost in sales? Regardless, great sales, and if a series keeps evolving like this, I don't see the problem in releasing two versions a year. By the way, the last J-League was JL WE5 I think.

Meier

drohne said:
if it was units shipped, why would they specify "on the first day"?

Because in Japan, there are multiple shipments in the first week of a title if demand is there.

cja

English Press Release:
030e.gif

For reference: Japanese PR

Gamespot regurgitate press releases incorrectly all the time. IGN are better :\
Though Konami do use the word sales in the PR and technically they are sales, still misleading.

Top Bottom