• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Just watch the second half of each ep and enjoy.

I would much rather take Space Dandy than Kids on the Slope.

It's okay. The thing is, 'okay' is a very poor performance considering the staff.
The animation on the other hand is glorious. I'd even say it's exceeding expectations.

Eh, that's disappointing to hear. I really like good animation and production values but I don't consider it to be the be-all-end-all of everything so if its just watching pretty pictures fly around for 22 minutes, I might not have it in me to continue watching past the first couple of episodes. I guess I'll give it a shot sometime this week.

So who takes the blame for this one?

duckroll

duckroll is Watanabe's GAF alter ego, didn't you hear?

Oh I can contribute my list two.

Show of the season
Hamatora

Best of the Rest
Buddy Complex
Nobunaga the Fool
Z/X Ignition

Best Continuing
Tokyo Ravens
Nagi no Asukara

Funnest Tier
Future Card Buddyfight
Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker

Still watching: Nisekoi, Noragmi, Strange+, World Conquest Zvezda Plot, Tonari no Seki Kun, Magical Warfare, Ace of Diamond, Gundam Build Fights, Hunter x Hunter, Kill la Kill, Kingdom 2, Kurobas 2, Log Horizon, Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, Naruto: Shippuden, ONe Piece, Phi Brain 3, Ranma 1/2, Rurouni Kenshi, Saint Seiya Omega, Samurai Flamenco, Utena, Strike the Blood, Driland, Toriko, Yowamushi Pedal.

Best stuff:
Sekai Seifuku
Silver Spoon S2
Noragami
Tonari no Seki-kun

Good stuff:
Inari Konkon
Mikakunin
SYD 2

Good leftovers:
Log Horizon
Space Bros

Tall girl unf unf:
Witch Craft Works

Average stuff:
Saki Nationals

Meh leftovers:
Kill La Kill

The bad Bones show this season:
Space Dandy

Jintor

if you're going to ask whether something is 'disappointing' then surely expectations is a legit criteria to hold up the product against right?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
XYN904K.gif

Noragami is Best

Gazoinks

Re: Space Dandy. I wasn't super hyped, but my problem with it is that I don't find it that legitimately funny. It's fun and the animation is gorgeous, but when it focuses on jokes instead of more physical stuff it falls flat for me more than not.

Also, I forgot to mention Pupipo! That's pretty good.

Dresden

if you're going to ask whether something is 'disappointing' then surely expectations is a legit criteria to hold up the product against right?

I think you're conflating whatever opinion I have of the creators with what I'm actually saying about the show, though. It's disappointing based on what it sets out to do but fails, and that's what bothers me about it.

zeroshiki

Yes. If this was a non-Hatakeyama DEEN production or some generic LN schlock by JC Staff, half the criticism of it would disappear. But alas, nothing exists in a vacuum so we have to balance expectations with results.

jbug617

Banned
What I am watching:

Kuroko no Basket S2
Silver Spoon S2
Tonari no Seki-Kun
Onee-chan Ka Gita
D-Frag
Seitokai Yakuindomo S2
Witch Craft Works
Ace no Diamond
Yowamushi Pedal
Chuunibyou Demo Koi Ga Shitai! Ren

Jintor

I think you're conflating whatever opinion I have of the creators with what I'm actually saying about the show, though. It's disappointing based on what it sets out to do but fails, and that's what bothers me about it.

fair point (though I don't know what it sets out to do, and I happen to think it's 'funny enough' if not a gutbuster)

The List of Winter Shows only

Gonna stick with it

Tonari no Seki-Kun
Pupipo

Wavering

Sekai Seifuku
Sakura Trick
Space Dandy

Almost Willing to Drop
Mikakunin
Nisekoi

Dropped

Pupa
Nobunaga the Fool

=====

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 62

Now she formally introduces herself, and has shocking elements as well
well not to me because I'm familiar with this series, and it's an aspect that I remembered

Killua isn't a lady's man tho'

CorvoSol

This one's easy to appreciate:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654151

i'll stop now lol

I mean it's pretty, but so was Adolescence of Utena. That movie was pretty, crazy, and attached to a show I loved. Stilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll don't like it.

On-Going
1. Gundam Build Fighters- Love it.
2. Kill La Kill- Love it.
3. Space Dandy- Eh, it's okay.
4. Nobunaga the Fool- It's stupid dumb but still fun.

Classic Mecha
1. Getter Robo- Really dated in a lot of ways, but educational.
2. Mobile Suit Gundam- Infinitely a better show than Zeta or Macross.

Other
1. Orphen- It's funny and the animation's not that bad, but Slayers it is not.
2. Hyouka- It's still really boring and I hate the character designs so much. The backgrounds are pretty and every once in awhile something interesting happens, but then it leaves and it's time for more "Chitanda is a moron and Hotaro likes her because she's unrealistically easy." If Sekitani Jun had been the protagonist and the show set in the story of the school's upheaval it may have been genuinely entertaining. Maybe things will improve from here on out.
3. Project A-Ko- Just indulging myself on some nostalgia.
4. Goku: The Midnight Eye- List.

You're watching List shows. There are definitely shows where people argue over quality but most of those List shows are on that list for a reason. It's fine to watch a bad show, that you know is bad going in, every now and then but you're missing out on a lot of the classics.

Honestly, though, bad shows are safer to watch. If I hate on bad shows I don't have to write lengthy posts defending why I found it uninteresting, unentertaining, or awful, because we all know it's bad. Nobody gets their feathers ruffled by hating on a bad show.

Meanwhile people recommend all manner of good shows that sound terribly dull. "Oh it's a show about nothing! The characters drive it!" As if you cannot have a compelling plot and character development at the same time.

But then again, sometimes you watch bad shit and you don't see why its on the List because it's just dumb and dull and someone shits all over you because you just don't "get" it and then they piss at you for being inferior to them and their appreciation of real, quality bullshit, so whatever.

Dresden

fair point (though I don't know what it sets out to do, and I happen to think it's 'funny enough' if not a gutbuster)

well it's simple right? it's a comedy that's not funny or clever. but you like it, and many others do, and this discussion is going to go on forever~

Mature

Is Space Dandy really that disappointing? I was waiting for impressions before picking it up but hearing all this negativity is making me sad. Watanabe should have stuck to making slice of life period shows then.
I'm really enjoying it. I think it has enough charisma in it's visuals and characters to make it a fun ride every week.

Quasar

Lists. Mine is stupidly long. Need to trim the fat.

- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren
- Gin no Saji 2nd Season
- Golden Time
- Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha.
- Log Horizon
- Nagi no Asukara
- Nisekoi
- Nourin
- Noragami
- Seitokai Yakuindomo*
- Strike the Blood
- Tokyo Ravens
- Tonari no Seki-kun
- Witch Craft Works
- Wizard Barristers: Benmashi Cecil
- Yozakura Quartet: Tsuki ni Naku

On The Fence
- Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
- Onee-chan ga Kita
- Saki: Zenkoku-hen
- Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta

Old Stuff
- Ao no Exorcist
- Itazura na Kiss
- Mushishi
- Natsu no Arashi! Akinaichuu
- Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Previous Season:
Kill la Kill
Samurai Flamenco
Gundam Build Fighters

This Season:
Sakura Trick
World Conquest
Chuu2
Tonari no Seki-kun
Nisekoi
Seitokai Yakuindomo*
Witchcraft Works
Imocho
Wizard Barristers
Nobunagun
Robot Girls Z
Space Dandy

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm really enjoying it. I think it has enough charisma in it's visuals and characters to make it a fun ride every week.
All of its "charisma" feels like the hackneyed hacking up of the idealized dumpy and lust driven adventurer I've seen a million times before.

I'm looking to finish some more series from 2013 before voting in the AOTY thread, would you guys mind recommending something for me to try next? So far I've seen Eccentric Family, Aku no Hana, Gargantia, Hunter x Hunter, Space Battleship Yamato, and the Gintama movie.

Gazoinks

I'm looking to finish some more series from 2013 before voting in the AOTY thread, would you guys mind recommending something for me to try next? So far I've seen Eccentric Family, Aku no Hana, Gargantia, Hunter x Hunter, Space Battleship Yamato, and the Gintama movie.

From the New World!

survivor

Banned

Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta was a pretty cool action shounen anime. Lots of great animated battle scenes.

Dresden

Rozen Maiden, Love Lab, and Gundam Build Fighters.

From the New World!

And this too if you haven't seen it. Reminds me that I didn't vote for it in that aoty thing, but I did vote for it last year...

zeroshiki

Echoing some of the other recommendations here, I suggest:

Rozen Maiden 2013
Tamako Market
From The New World

They're all short series so its not gonna take you a long time to finish up.

The Blue Exorcist movie, if you haven't seen that.

Defuser

Space Dandy ep 3

This show continues to be average despite the better second half of robot action. I could do without the boob monster, I have enough of that in a south park heavy metal episode.

ZX IGNITION - 02

The bad
-Confusing setting that the writters don't bother to explain
-No rules on the "how", the rules of battles or a decent explanation about what this means to be a card user

The good
-Classmate was alright, even if she is on the initiative.
-Main character doesn't seem to be a wimp ( i like that )
-Angel reaction when awakening was pretty cute
-Baths are to be protected from harm
-That girl has a revenge plot but might become tsundere

Conclusion :
Better episode than the confusing first episode that's for sure , this anime has potential to become better ..it also has the potential to become shitty .If think i'll watch to see how it's end

Shergal

BONES is still the king of the season, Dandy of not, because Noragami is with ease the best show so far. I'm surprised at how every episode is better than the previous, and episode 1 was really good to start off.

Jarmel

Banned
BONES is still the king of the season, Dandy of not, because Noragami is with ease the best show so far. I'm surprised at how every episode is better than the previous, and episode 1 was really good to start off.

Swing enough times, you're bound to hit something.

fertygo

I don't like anything that I seen in eps 1 of Noragami, then again battle shounen manga with Shinto god concept usually are a borefest.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

*At an onsen*

Katsuragi: "Oh? Ikaruga, haven't you become bigger again?"
Ikaruga: "Huh? Eh? W, what is that? What do you mean?"
Katsuragi: "What I mean is the same as usual. Hee hee hee hee."
Katsuragi: "I'll just confirm it. Let me see now..."
Ikaruga: "S, stop it please! Everyone is watching!"
Katsuragi *husky voice*: "If so, let's confirm it somewhere no-one can see."

X5ktHLQ.gif

I don't like anything that I seen in eps 1 of Noragami, then again battle shounen manga with Shinto god concept usually are a borefest.

Its in the battle shounen area? Of the three episodes it feels more like a better done fantasy supernatural type of story with action as one of its well least focused upon themes, I though.

Necrovex

From the New World!

This. From the New World is in my top three.

I am powering through Yamato 2199, and I am trying to figure out what show I should try to squeeze in before the end of voting for AOTY 13.

I saw Inferno Cop, Aku no Hana, From the New World, Kill La Kill. That's it, as far as I can recall. What else should I aim to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom