• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

http://animatorexpo.com/news/32

Wow, this week's Animator Expo short is a GRIDMAN anime by Trigger. Huge surprise for me, because I actually remember collecting Gridman figurines from chocolate candy boxes way back when I was a kid. Total nostalgia bomb. Hope they do a good job with it, could be really cool! I really wish we would get more Tokusatsu anime stuff, rather than just live action. A good animated Ultraman series could be super awesome.

JNqdx5H.jpg

mTcaog6.jpg

Wow, this week's Animator Expo short is a GRIDMAN anime by Trigger. Huge surprise for me, because I actually remember collecting Gridman figurines from chocolate candy boxes way back when I was a kid. Total nostalgia bomb. Hope they do a good job with it, could be really cool! I really wish we would get more Tokusatsu anime stuff, rather than just live action. A good animated Ultraman series could be super awesome.
Whoa, I had some toys from that and watched the American version on VHS.

Defuser

Aka Super Human Samurai Syber Squad.

Pooya

Xam'd 13-15

lmao

1421084291-1.jpg

what is he measuring there... that's too small Furuichi.

1421084292-2.jpg

oh

sharks, sharks jumping everywhere.
lmao at his death, godly character all around. can't stop laughing

It was quite funny but back to boooooooooooooring with 15. I'm not sure if I'll make it to end anytime soon. The show felt like Nausicaa in the beginning but now it's something else... Characters want to travel to some place, they don't know exactly why. Stupid military people. Protecting little sisters. Moronic characters turning into monsters with cringe worthy philosophical dilaogs that don't make any sense. terms that I still don't know what they really mean or the completely undeveloped world 15 episodes in. it's like watching FFXIII now!

Jex

Cross Ange-1

I broke and I'm a worse human being for it. I blame Jexhius. :(

This is so mindblowingly stupid. Like how the fuck can you pull a coup on your father? What's the point of a monarchy if you can't override laws or have your dickhole son restrained?

"I brought the waste material" oh my so edgy i could cut myself

The episode itself has some pacing problems in that it seems to burn through the material in order to end on the sexual assault (which I loved how it was frame with her ass wiggling in front of the camera). I also don't think the mother's death was done in a very solid directorial standpoint.

Wait, what? I've been clear all along about the TRUTH that is Cross Ange!

Ghost in the Shell: Arise 1-3

Episode 2 was okay. Episode 1 and 3 were painfully slow, and treated the viewer like an idiot. Not sure I like the character redesigns. Batous' eyes are too small and off putting. Kusanagi comes off as both weaker, and angsty; lacking many of the features that made her a good and interesting character.

Jex

Xam'd 13-15

It was quite funny but back to boooooooooooooring with 15. I'm not sure if I'll make it to end anytime soon. The show felt like Nausicaa in the beginning but now it's something else... Characters want to travel to some place, they don't know exactly why. Stupid military people. Protecting little sisters. Moronic characters turning into monsters with cringe worthy philosophical dilaogs that don't make any sense. terms that I still don't know what they really mean or the completely undeveloped world 15 episodes in. it's like watching FFXIII now!

You can really taste the BONES (Gen 2) quality writing, can't you? I wish I could say there are a highpoints ahead but in reality they're long behind you. Enjoy your visit to the retirement home.

Xam'd 13-15

lmao

to be honest after a point I only continued watching for the main couple. And by continue watching, I mean skip around until I found them and watch those scenes. I stopped giving a fuck.

Sailor Moon R 25

That's cold. :p

Well... Guess they'll continue to save the sisters in the next few episodes. Not as good an episode as the last one.

I know Disney steals from anime all the time but god damn that's like the spitting image of Frozen girl.

Jex

Oh weird, I had no idea that Anno owned the IP. I wonder how that works, since I always assumed that people just made stuff on behalf of a studio.
It is my rough understanding that in Japan it's far more likely for the rights to IP's to stay with the original creators. It's different to the US in that regard.

Jex

Only the TV show so far.
So, does that mean you haven't watched the TV OVA's?

Anyway, as for the two Patlabor timelines it's roughly:

Original OVA - Movie 1 - Movie 2

TV Series - TV OVA's

There's no reason not to watch all of that content. In fact, it should be next on your list of things to do!

ofx360

Banned
Rolling Girls ep1

HA, Ok...so you're telling me this isn't being animated by Trigger?

Yeah, sure...*Searches*

WAIT, Wit Studio?! Of Attack on Titan fame?

The first ep, at least, felt like I was watching Kill la Kill or Little Witch Academy, just for the style. A bit confusing to find out that it's not being done by Trigger. And in me+trigger fashion, I love the presentation and approach to storytelling. It seems super fun and frenetic, and the skies the limit with these types of shows.

-----

Yatterman ep1

I don't get it. What a awkward and cliche set up to a show that seems to be getting so much love. Kinda was expecting more, and got below average on the first ep. Interesting to see where it goes, but my expectations are tempered.

Sailor Moon R 26

Better betray before getting betrayed! Too bad there's more characters who can betray. :p

Things happened faster than expected then, and Chibi-Usa finally finds out the truth? Hm... Well... I thought she knew already... And Tuxedo Mask gets everybody to jump into a black hole while he runs away again.

I guess one good side of this anime season is that I'm catching up on fantastic western shows. Caught up with Flash, and now I'm catching up with Constantine. The latter being on NBC probably means it'll get cancelled.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I only watched Graffiti Whatever for the Umetsu OP.

It sure was an Umtesu OP.

I'm not feeling Graffiti at all. I still can't believe SHAFT is making this instead of Soma.

Did they just commit too soon? Its such a waste because the food and eating sakuga actually looks good, but the characters stink.

I guess one good side of this anime season is that I'm catching up on fantastic western shows. Caught up with Flash, and now I'm catching up with Constantine. The latter being on NBC probably means it'll get cancelled.
These are bad shows so I'm not sure what you've actually accomplished.

Like trading crack for meth and saying you're a better person for it.

Now if you had said Agent Carter or Gotham...

I never said they were cream of the crop, but I'd rather watch this than a show about FUCKING BEARS*

*Polar Bear Cafe being the exception**
**Also that one show about the bear that flew planes

Jex

[Yuri Kuma Arashi] - 2

This really shows every sign of being a two-cour story slapped into a single-cour runtime. I mean, when an episode moves this fast and features two (2!) moments which are supposed to be 'revelations' you know that this story wasn't meant to be told in this format. Still, I can't deny that this was pretty fun. Weightless, but fun.

One thing that I really want to draw special attention to is the sound design. Ikuhara works as a Sound Director and you really notice how effectively he uses not just music but sound effects in this episode. He's one the few directors that really punctuates his visuals with sound effects. This was also very noticeable in Penguin Drum.

Encouragement of Climb S2 24

That escalated quickly.

There's a festival with fireworks and friendship wins through in the end though.

So, with the longer runtime there's some more drama and some slice of life episodes that fleshes out the characters. There's still lots of mountain climbing too of course, so in total it's just as good as the first season.

4/5 mountains of memories:
hZTUNY7.png
hZTUNY7.png
hZTUNY7.png
hZTUNY7.png
hL5Km5V.png

Now somebody release both seasons on disc with English subtitles, please!

Jarmel

Banned
[Yuri Kuma Arashi] - 2

This really shows every sign of being a two-cour story slapped into a single-cour runtime. I mean, when an episode moves this fast and features two (2!) moments which are supposed to be 'revelations' you know that this story wasn't meant to be told in this format. Still, I can't deny that this was pretty fun. Weightless, but fun.

One thing that I really want to draw special attention to is the sound design. Ikuhara works as a Sound Director and you really notice how effectively he uses not just music but sound effects in this episode. He's one the few directors that really punctuates his visuals with sound effects. This was also very noticeable in Penguin Drum.

That was something I wanted to point out last week but I was too lazy. For example with the sparkles, in that the sound direction goes hand in hand with the storyboarding.

Jex

That was something I wanted to point out last week but I was too lazy. For example with the sparkles, in that the sound direction goes hand in hand with the storyboarding.
I think what really separates Ikuhara from other directors, besides his hand's on approach, is how regularly he seems to create his own unique sounds effects that serve to punctuate the action in his shows. It's a very unique trait.

Jarmel

Banned
I think what really separates Ikuhara from other directors, besides his hand's on approach, is how regularly he seems to create his own unique sounds effects that serve to punctuate the action in his shows. It's a very unique trait.

Honestly I think he's the only director I've seen that had a formal sound direction credit.

I'm sure there are others though.

Jex

Rewatch certain elements of Yurikuma Arashi and it really feels like the only way to describe it is as one of those shounen or mecha compilation movies that squishes a much longer TV series into a handful of episodes. The amount of major scenes and plot beats that the show hits per minute is nearly unbearable. Episode 2 honestly feels like 3 or even 4 episodes worth of plot developments without any actual character development.

If this sounds like a bad show to you then, well, I can't disagree. It just feels like Ikuhara had a much longer story in mind (I mean this has been in development for some time) and he never managed to secure the amount of money/whatever necessary to make a complete adaptation of it. Rather than radically alter the plot, it just seems like compressed it.

Maybe it would have been better to just come up with a concept that would work in the 11 - 13 episode format.

Narag

Rewatch certain elements of Yurikuma Arashi and it really feels like the only way to describe it is as one of those shounen or mecha compilation movies that squishes a much longer TV series into a handful of episodes.

I don't think I could have articulated this on my own but yeah, I get that feeling watching it given the priority given to revelations rather than characterization. At least I don't have to weigh the decision of devoting time to the longer show since this is the only option.

Xam'd 13-15

I wanted to warn you, but it's better to experience it by yourself :p

Yuri Kuma Arashi 02

B7BjcmVCQAAbeWM.jpg:large

You better not blink while watching this because if you do you'll probably miss 5 plot details.
Enjoyable nonetheless.

Edit: When are we supposed to watch more VOTOMS

Gridman

Neo Member

I'm super excited for this. I never had the chance to watch the original Gridman series but I was a big fan of the American show. I even imported the Axepter transformation toy because I always wanted the American version of the toy but never got a chance to buy it. Still remember seeing the box in store and I wanted it so bad. I hope this short is good.

Absolute Duo - 02*

First that oath is like ... a mariage proposition or what ?
Anyway , the events that happenned in this episode were as expected, complete with the justification for such a pairing

Other than that , they certainly spend a lot of time for THIS scene .
You can scream "not on purpose" but when you waste a moment to animate girls adjusting their bloomers or that ridiculous "slipping" scene , you're fooling no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom