• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

Once again, in case somebody takes the recommendation seriously, please spare yourself the suffering and do not watch Glasslip. I'm someone who loves slice of life shows like Non Non Biyori, K-ON, etc, and I can tell you that it has very little in common with those. It's a thoroughly dull ride throughout., and frankly is just plain bad.

brawly

Blue Exorcist: Kyota Saga

Just like the first season, it's tropey and predictable. Okay to watch once, wouldn't watch again.

In the past several seasons some of my favorites have been these lighthearted slice of life shows.

For example Interviews With Monster Girls, Poco's Udon World, Sweetness & Lighting, Flying Witch, Non Non Byori.

Any other recommendations for anime like these?

Barakamon
Locodol
Usagi Drop

jonjonaug

In the past several seasons some of my favorites have been these lighthearted slice of life shows.

For example Interviews With Monster Girls, Poco's Udon World, Sweetness & Lighting, Flying Witch, Non Non Byori.

Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon is real good.

Cornbread78

Barakamon is the best one by far.
Usagi Drop
Monthly-girls Nozaki-kun
Tamako Market
Acchi Kochi
Amagi Brilliant Park

You would probably like Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, from the director of Non Non Biyori.

Once again, in case somebody takes the recommendation seriously, please spare yourself the suffering and do not watch Glasslip. I'm someone who loves slice of life shows like Non Non Biyori, K-ON, etc, and I can tell you that it has very little in common with those. It's a thoroughly dull ride throughout., and frankly is just plain bad.

I'll say it again: he needs a tag to save poor unsuspecting souls.

Kamichu is my favorite.

Wood Man

Thanks for the SoL suggestions. I've seen most of shows you guys suggested. But there's a few I haven't.

Locodol, Merman in my Tub, Tamako Market, Acchi Kochi & Kamichu I have not seen. I'll do some research now. Thanks guys.

zulux21

I guess the licensor was right about s2 being two cour.

it would make the most sense.

really the best way to adapt a long running series like this is run 24-26 episodes out each year using 2 chapters per episode on average.

it results in no filler and for the most part decent pacing.

it worked great for Major, and i have always wanted to see more companies doing that.

Paging GoldCrusader- information on the My Hero Academia website has episodes going up to 39

Am I awake? Is this a dream? I think my heart stopped
07bf664c914480a38ab90fe291a5e313.gif

I mean this is their website so....
63a93b4e50038daaa224901f1a9d4608.gif

HYYYYPE! 39 episode of my hero....SO that means...We get THAT moment!
ac253b517447e662ac1959140df4e4a8.gif

Wait this include season 1?...but who cares! 26 episodes! yoooooooooooo

hampig

Finally got around to finishing Rakugo. I can see why that ending (well a small part of it) was uhh, controversial...

Just watched this as well and loved it. The last story made me tear up, what an excellent show.

Can I ask what was controversial about the ending?

zulux21

I really don't get how people can list off slice of life recommendations and not include mushishi *shrugs*

it's a very different slice of life but still.

honey and clover is another good one that people didn't mention.

on the flip side MAL has a lot of things tagged slice of life that I wouldn't really think slice of life when you asked me about them.

clannad
wolf children
GTO
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.
Mob Psycho 100
Chihayafuru
Nodame Cantabile
Toradora
Beck
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
ect.

I am also surprised I didn't see anyone say
Nichijou

it would make the most sense.

really the best way to adapt a long running series like this is run 24-26 episodes out each year using 2 chapters per episode on average.

it results in no filler and for the most part decent pacing.

it worked great for Major, and i have always wanted to see more companies doing that.

Until it catches up and we have to wait multiple years for more :(

I hope BLack Clover just ends up long running.

zulux21

Until it catches up and we have to wait multiple years for more :(

I hope BLack Clover just ends up long running.

uh... but it doesn't catch up?

24-26 episodes = 48-52 chapters of manga used up each year if you use 2 chapters of manga per episode on average.

which also happens to be the number of chapters of manga that come out for a weekly series each year.

I mean it's the real beauty of it.
there is no need for filler
no catching up.
you just have it run 24-26 episodes a year and then once the manga ends run one final season to do the rest of it o_O

LotusHD

Banned
Just watched this as well and loved it. The last story made me tear up, what an excellent show.

Can I ask what was controversial about the ending?

Just the whole thing about the show suddenly strongly hinting that Konatsu's child is actually Yotarou's.

I really don't get how people can list off slice of life recommendations and not include mushishi *shrugs*

on the flip side MAL has a lot of things tagged slice of life that I wouldn't really think slice of life when you asked me about them.

clannad
wolf children
GTO
Mob Psycho 100
Chihayafuru
Nodame Cantabile
Toradora
Beck
ect.

Nichijou

MAl's tagging system his hilariously terrible.

Qurupeke

Hmm, supposing that they're going to adapt the School Festival arc and the Stain arc, it's around 38 chapters for 26 episodes, which basically means that they'll continue with S1's snail pace... There is one short arc after that, but I feel it's not that good as an ending point, and the rest is probably S3 and beyond. However, maybe Bones can add anime-exclusive scenes and fix the pacing with some action, as I think the School Festival is a great opportunity for that. I'm cautiously optimistic that S2 can be better than S1, but I'm really afraid it will repeat S1's mistakes...

Jarmel

Banned
MHA S2 should be significantly improved over S1. The pacing will be a lot faster and the production will have shifted largely from Studio A over to C which should mean some batshit insane fights.

Hmm, supposing that they're going to adapt the School Festival arc and the Stain arc, it's around 38 chapters for 26 episodes, which basically means that they'll continue with S1's snail pace... There is one short arc after that, but I feel it's not that good as an ending point, and the rest is probably S3 and beyond. However, maybe Bones can add anime-exclusive scenes and fix the pacing with some action, as I think the School Festival is a great opportunity for that. I'm cautiously optimistic that S2 can be better than S1, but I'm really afraid it will repeat S1's mistakes...

They're going to the All Might fight. The Stain Arc will probably be at the end of the first cour and the All Might fight at the end of the second cour.

So it's definitely going to be 2 cours?

If so, I'd like to see them adapt all the way up to End of Term exam. That way the season can end with
Deku and Bakugou having to team up to face off against All-Might.

I feel like that's the perfect place for the season to end, especially considering how interconnected the next two arcs are.

Moaradin

There's no way they only adapt the School Festival and Stain arcs. The All Might fight is the perfect place to end it in 26 episodes.

hampig

Just the whole thing about the show suddenly strongly hinting that Konatsu's child is actually Yotarou's.

Ah yeah, that. It sort of made me happy.
Rather him than the mob boss.

Regardless of if he is the father or not though, it seems like the characters are at peace with how things are, and whatever happened to make that kid hasn't soured any of it, so I'm happy with it.

zulux21

There's no way they only adapt the School Festival and Stain arcs. The All Might fight is the perfect place to end it in 26 episodes.

if the school festival and stain arcs are 38 chapters... how many is the all might stuff you are talking about.

if it is more than 22 chapters I really can't see them doing it.

given the first season seems far more likely that they would stretch out 38 chapters to 26 eps instead of using more than 60 chapters for 26 eps.

Cornbread78

clannad
wolf children
GTO
Mob Psycho 100
Chihayafuru
Nodame Cantabile
Toradora
Beck
ect.

Nichijou

I stayed away from anything also tagged as "romance" for the most part.

You know how I feel about Clannad = G.O.A.T!

Anohana is also amazing! A very worthwhile experience.

if the school festival and stain arcs are 38 chapters... how many is the all might stuff you are talking about.

given the first season seems far more likely that they would stretch out 38 chapters to 26 eps instead of using more than 60 chapters for 26 eps.

The third arc we are all referring to is only like 10 chapters long and brings the total to 48.

Thanks for the SoL suggestions. I've seen most of shows you guys suggested. But there's a few I haven't.

Locodol, Merman in my Tub, Tamako Market, Acchi Kochi & Kamichu I have not seen. I'll do some research now. Thanks guys.

Some more
Aria
Ah! My Goddess
Hidamari Sketch
Inari Kon Kon

Just wait till they catch all of you off guard and end the season in the middle of a random chapter with no sense of closure for the season.
My money is on them adapting through the All Might fight and just speeding things up a bit to keep the pacing quicker.

Qurupeke

They're going to the All Might fight. The Stain Arc will probably be at the end of the first cour and the All Might fight at the end of the second cour.
I really hope that's the case, but it's a lot of chapters for 26 episodes and it will be a stark contrast to S1's pacing.

zulux21

The third arc we are all referring to is only like 10 chapters long and brings the total to 48.

well then yeah I would expect it to be done.

it would fit right with my assumptions for the season to use 48-52 chapters then.

I really hope that's the case, but it's a lot of chapters for 26 episodes and it will be a stark contrast to S1's pacing.

eh... 2 chapters an episode isn't a bad pace, and even though it would be faster than season 1 it wouldn't feel bad. I mean season 1 for the most part was a set up season. season 2 will actually have stuff going on the whole season and thus more stuff going on is expected.

Moaradin

Assuming they adapt all the way to chapter 95-96, that's 75 chapters in 26 episodes. That's around 3 chapters an episode which is perfectly reasonable. Keep in mind that the Sports Festival is the longest arc in the series to this day, and a lot of it is fighting which shouldn't take as long in the anime.

zulux21

Assuming they adapt all the way to chapter 95-96, that's 75 chapters in 26 episodes. That's around 3 chapters an episode which is perfectly reasonable. Keep in mind that the Sports Festival is the longest arc in the series to this day, and a lot of it is fighting which shouldn't take as long in the anime.

if it's 75 chapters total I can't see it happening.

that being said I didn't think soma would end up adapting as many chapters as it did either.

but given how big MHA is getting I would bet on them using 2 or less chapters per episode instead of 3 or more per episode. They aren't going to just want to burn through the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom