• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World 5-13
e3suK.jpg
Interesting show. It is very easy to be drawn in by it, but it can also be a little exhausting. It seems to hone in on one idea and just barrel towards that point for long stretches of time. There isn't always reprieve from its extended look at certain topics. The time skip was a bit of a nice break, but there aren't really enough moments in the show that shift the tone and keep things varied.

I understand that the world structure and subject matter are complex, but the mystery is a big part of the draw for me. When everything is plainly stated and detailed in explanatory stretches and monologues this strange and fascinating world becomes less exciting, and I don't feel that my understanding of it is earned. There is a rich history in certain spots, and instead of really living or experiencing it there is a detached retelling of these events. This probably plays quite a bit into how I interpret SSY's unsatisfactory exchange of information with the viewer.

The characters are also rather inexpressive. I more often find myself more involved with the lush background art or interesting monster designs than the characters themselves. In spite of this I actually quite like the cast though, there's a certain believability to the way they act and operate. Everyone just feels very...mature. I guess that's the right word, although it sounds somewhat conceited.

And this is kind of a dumb personal thing, but the passage of time is very unusual in this show. There are simply long stretches of time devoted to travel, or the sun setting and coming up again. Characters don't seem to fatigue much, so I don't really get what these long stretches of time are supposed to add to the story.

Westlo

Funny, I never got the impression Kizu was supposed to make you like Cat.

Well more likeable then the other stuff she was in.

If SHAFT decides to continue to Kabukimonogatari,
I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it. Just reading it hit me in the feels, much much more than Kizu.

Eh, Zenmonogatari is slated to air this year and Kabukimonogatari is definitely being done in that... should be right after Neko White.

As for the spoiler, the tears of
blood
scene and onwards? All I can say is thank fuck Aya Hirano got replaced by Maaya Sakamoto...

The 7th book just got an US release (17 in JP) and the show stopped at book 4.

Oh I didn't even know about the novels getting a US release, going to look into ordering that. Nice to see it got up to the seventh... Zaregoto only having 2 novels translated (and for some fucking reason no anime interest) was kinda depressing.

As for the series being 17 novels long and the two seasons of the anime covering only 4 books... lol would need like 8 seasons to finish it, no wonder they never bothered to do a third.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well more likeable then the other stuff she was in.

Eh, Zenmonogatari is slated to air this year and Kabukimonogatari is definitely being done in that... should be right after Neko White.

blood
scene and onwards?

Really? perhaps I'm misremembering her role, but it really seemed more like the opposite to me. Unless you simply mean that she drags Araragi into his role, but their actual motivations and desires are so different from each other.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm having a lot of trouble remembering what even aired in 2012, not to mention I watched like a hundred plus episodes of old anime so that ate into my animewatch. Making lists is hard!

Milamber

I am cry. This Zenmonogatari crap cannot possibly hope to fully cover the rest of the books, minus the final two which are due to be released this year. Unless they go for 26 episodes at a break neck pace.

blood
scene and onwards? All I can say is thank fuck Aya Hirano got replaced by Maaya Sakamoto...
Yes. And much more. I am afraid of beginning Onimonogatari.

Oh I didn't even know about the novels getting a US release, going to look into ordering that. Nice to see it got up to the seventh... Zaregoto only having 2 novels translated (and for some fucking reason no anime interest) was kinda depressing.

As for the series being 17 novels long and the two seasons of the anime covering only 4 books... lol would need like 8 seasons to finish it, no wonder they never bothered to do a third.
Haha, I also have both Zaregoto's lying alone. I gave up on the rest ever being translated.

Theonik

Haha, apparently I need to take a look at Inferno Cop.

I was probably going to anyway...

Yeah, I saw your posts on Banner of the Stars. Unfortunately I feel bad for not reading too much into them just so I can come into the series not really knowing what to expect. Maybe I should have bookmarked them to read later. Well, I can always try searching for them later I suppose.

You've read the novels then or just read things about them? Was just wandering what you thought of the novels and how they compare if you have.
Personally I'd say to skip reading my impressions. They are frankly pretty crap and it's best to keep going almost blindly in the show. I sorta did that as well! Also I haven't read the novels just read about them. Lafiel may have but I don't know. I am half tempted to read the last novel but the lack of continuation for the arc it starts is pretty lame.

Westlo

I am cry. This Zenmonogatari crap cannot possibly hope to fully cover the rest of the books, minus the final two which are due to be released this year. Unless they go for 26 episodes at a break neck pace.

Honestly I'll be shocked if it isn't two cour or split cour seasons with some bonus episodes or whatever. No way this is just one cour, that would be Aniplex throwing money down the drain, I mean fuck even Nise sells 60k a volume and Zen is going to be way fucking better.

Anyway Bake+Nise was 26 episodes and covered 1436 pages of material, the 6 novels making up season 2 have 1671 pages.

14/15 + 14/15 split cour seasons are probably the best scenario for covering that stuff with justice, also would make Aniplex a lot more money. (6+6 volumes instead of just 9 volumes for a two cour season release)

Yes. And much more. I am afraid of beginning Onimonogatari.

I haven't been keeping up with the newer stuff, want to save that for the anime whenever it comes out now lol.

Haha, I also have both Zaregoto's lying alone. I gave up on the rest ever being translated.

Shame we won't see Aikawa Jun animated... fucking shame I won't read novels where she features a lot too :(

Medaka Box Abnormal Final Episode

After watching 11 awful episodes of shonen garbage...

What sorcery did I just watch here? This episode was brilliant and I don't even know why.

That's just what Kumagawa da gawd does.

Looks like you guys are having a fun start to the new year. Just saw the news that someone had uploaded all the PRISM BOX videos to Youtube. Now I'm even more confused about what the project is supposed to be. I wonder whey only the Magical Engine video (#2) is twice the length of the others.

Regarding SAO, I still like the source material and think Phantom Bullet wouldn't be quite as reviled should it get an adaptation, but I'll agree that the anime did more to emphasize the flaws in the story than play to the strengths of what's normally supposed to happen when you adapt a light novel for animation.

Because Vid #2 is the best one!

And yeah Phantom Bullet should get a better reception, though that does depend on if A-1 phones it in or not too... and considering it's almost a guaranteed cash cow...

Haha, oh wow. Yamamoto back at KyoAni? Ordet in charge of Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku? What could it mean?!?!

Based Yamakan is back to save anime!

jgminto

Baccano! Volume 1 Ep 1-4
wx8U7.jpg

YES! I am sooooo excited to continue this! I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now and my video store has all their anime at 2 for $15 so I finally got it. I LOVE it! The non-linear storytelling, the super interesting and varied characters, the combination of the incredibly light and dark, the english dub, the AMAZING opening, the really shitty train CG...well let's ignore that part. Assuming there isn't some terrible fuck up along the way, this is on course to be one of my new favourites. Now I just need to find the next 3 volumes at a reasonable price.

Westlo

Baccano! Volume 1 Ep 1-4
wx8U7.jpg

YES! I am sooooo excited to continue this! I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now and my video store has all their anime at 2 for $15 so I finally got it. I LOVE it! The non-linear storytelling, the super interesting and varied characters, the combination of the incredibly light and dark, the english dub, the AMAZING opening, the really shitty train CG...well let's ignore that part. Assuming there isn't some terrible fuck up along the way, this is on course to be one of my new favourites. Now I just need to find the next 3 volumes at a reasonable price.

Baccano just gets better and better.... great conclusion... AOTY for whatever year it came out.. 07 or 08.

Milamber

Baccano! Volume 1 Ep 1-4
wx8U7.jpg

Neee, ISAAAAC?

Nani MIIIIRIIAAA?

I would switch to J-dub just to hear them say that.

BluWacky

Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World 5-13

Interesting show. It is very easy to be drawn in by it, but it can also be a little exhausting. It seems to hone in on one idea and just barrel towards that point for long stretches of time. There isn't always reprieve from its extended look at certain topics. The time skip was a bit of a nice break, but there aren't really enough moments in the show that shift the tone and keep things varied.

I find this to be both a strength and a weakness. The show is so good at the horror/mystery atmosphere that when it sticks to that side of things it's consistently entertaining, but some of the more light-hearted stuff - and the now near-infamous bakenezumi arc - aren't handled so well.

I don't think I'd want the show to suffer from the tonal whiplash that characterises many anime, though - you know, from wacky comedy to SRS GRIMDARK.

I understand that the world structure and subject matter are complex, but the mystery is a big part of the draw for me. When everything is plainly stated and detailed in explanatory stretches and monologues this strange and fascinating world becomes less exciting, and I don't feel that my understanding of it is earned. There is a rich history in certain spots, and instead of really living or experiencing it there is a detached retelling of these events. This probably plays quite a bit into how I interpret SSY's unsatisfactory exchange of information with the viewer.

While I find the exposition interesting, and the "flashbacks" are generally well animated and directed, it would be nice if there were a slightly more organic way to introduce some of the plot points rather than "someone who knows everything explains it all". I think the show handles it better in the episodes before the stretch you've just watched. Parts of the Summer Camp episode, with the haythatcher and Satoru vomiting in the woods, or the first encounter with the bakenezumi, were much stronger in this regard.

The characters are also rather inexpressive. I more often find myself more involved with the lush background art or interesting monster designs than the characters themselves. In spite of this I actually quite like the cast though, there's a certain believability to the way they act and operate. Everyone just feels very...mature. I guess that's the right word, although it sounds somewhat conceited.

The very flat look of the characters makes them seem quite muted, I think; it doesn't always match the energy in the voice acting (for better or worse).

And this is kind of a dumb personal thing, but the passage of time is very unusual in this show. There are simply long stretches of time devoted to travel, or the sun setting and coming up again. Characters don't seem to fatigue much, so I don't really get what these long stretches of time are supposed to add to the story.

Depending on the episode, sometimes it's just filler. Episodes 7 and 13 are particularly bad for this - episode 7 is just a failure of direction, IMO, as the action sequences are dead in the water, while episode 13 is clearly padded for time.

Azure J

OK, so I really haven't kept up with AnimeGAF enough, but after seeing the last episode of Medaka Box Abnormal today and getting ready for another run with the Monogatari series, I think I need to be a bit more active here again. That being said:

Medaka Box Abnormal -12

Holy fuck.

How did I know that the Kuma episode would wind up being brilliant? Gainax penchant for trolling + two master class trolls + reality bending is too much. I fucking lost it at "I forgot about black." :lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I find this to be both a strength and a weakness. The show is so good at the horror/mystery atmosphere that when it sticks to that side of things it's consistently entertaining, but some of the more light-hearted stuff - and the now near-infamous bakenezumi arc - aren't handled so well.

I don't think I'd want the show to suffer from the tonal whiplash that characterises many anime, though - you know, from wacky comedy to SRS GRIMDARK.
Yeah definitely. I don't think I'm pining for SSY to go into antics or anything, but I kind of feel like more muted or relaxed moments every once in awhile would bring out the intense moments more. I might feel this way more because I put the show on a marathon watch.
I think the show handles it better in the episodes before the stretch you've just watched. Parts of the Summer Camp episode, with the haythatcher and Satoru vomiting in the woods, or the first encounter with the bakenezumi, were much stronger in this regard.
It's probably for the best that these earlier situations were the ones that were so well handled, as they went a long way for establishing the world and how everything fits together. It's just too bad the reveals of the more tucked away secrets aren't always as engaging.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito 11

Okay, I think I may-MAY-have reached the point that Hitokage was talking about where it seems like I have some modicum of an idea of what's going on before it pulls out the rug from underneath me like a bastard.

Okay. The princes is Eve. I kinda figured that out. And she turned into a frog from the curse. Sense? The show's writers ask, "What is this thing you call 'sense'?" I know the episode used frogs as symbolism, but it really dlesn't apply at all to the princess herself at all, which makes it doubly stupid. But anyway, she's back, and she's in the Gardens of whatnot.

And so are Hatsuki and Ririsu, after the spaceship stint that doesn't seem to have served any purpose whatsoever. How did they get there? Random shit. [Anyway, she thinks the princess i Hatsumi. Hatsumi and the princess are Eve, wheich Ririsu realizes. And Garugantua wants to marry Eve because...this is something that makes fucking NO sense in any way shape or form.

To be fair, I always thought the spaceship episode was kind of cool when disconnected from the context of the series.

Campione - 01~13 (End)

My first review. Marathoned this show for 2 days straight.

Hate it.

Popped half boners at the kissing scenes.

That's it.

Nice.

We've barely started the Winter season and you're already talking about Spring? Things aren't that bad...

Spring season looks so much better than Winter. There has to be a carrot in the stick!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well played.

Man, the amount of trolling in this thread has exploded in the past hour.
I'd like to note that this was after I went to bed. I am the source of calm.

Nope... its been going on for months man. GAF is relentless in their bashing of SAO without justification.
Why does yn-neko hates a cat ignore all the sound questions that are brought up about SAO.

I think a good opening can help enhance a show by setting a tone or describing the show in ninety seconds (or give a false sense of mood in the case of Madoka), but the fact that a sizeable portion of people admit to skipping them tells me their contribution to a work rarely goes beyond what jingles do to television commercials.
I think the 90 seconds is the main reason people skip them. Perhaps they should take a note from other shows and cut down on the OP after a few episodes. They'll still need them for the single sales.

That show has NEVER given me an errection!
You've obviously been reading the wrong doujins.

You're that goddamn person whom marketing determines needs the show's song to repeat the title of the show three times in rhythm aren't you
I hope this isn't a dig at the Kill Me Baby OP.

Or since the topic reverted to older shows, the Big O OP.

The Yuru Yuri costume is not bad at all. It's looks good.
I think I pull it off well. People always complement me at work.

That dress is still one of the worst school uniform designs I've ever seen. Ugh.
One of those aspect you just have to put at the back of your mind while watching. It's a rather easy feature to overlook while watching the show.

Robotics;Notes 1-11 rewatch
So many little nods and cameos I didn't notice the first time,
definitely not as dull as I had originally thought the first few episodes had been.

Jex

While I find the exposition interesting, and the "flashbacks" are generally well animated and directed, it would be nice if there were a slightly more organic way to introduce some of the plot points rather than "someone who knows everything explains it all". I think the show handles it better in the episodes before the stretch you've just watched. Parts of the Summer Camp episode, with the haythatcher and Satoru vomiting in the woods, or the first encounter with the bakenezumi, were much stronger in this regard.

Well I agree, to an extent, but in a way their limited in the options for this information can be transmitted to the characters because the structure of the society is such that all this information is deliberately suppressed.

If you're talking about the light novels then I already covered that. I just wanted to see how the animated version was handled.

then it's perfectly natural that you disliked the campione anime seeing as they totally didn't do things properly at all . the only good thing the anime added is the nice space when godou use his "sword" power but everything else just isn't on par with the source material.

Jex

[Nekomonogatari] - 2

A considerable improvement over the introductory segment for reasons that are obvious - it's actually gets down to the 'meat' of what the story is about. I look forward to the rest with some optimism
Nekomonogatari 1-2

Better than almost all of Nise already. Should be good if they stick with this kind of pacing.

Which isn't that much of an accomplishment, unfortunately.

Milamber

then it's perfectly natural that you disliked the campione anime seeing as they totally didn't do things properly at all . the only good thing the anime added is the nice space when godou use his "sword" power but everything else just isn't on par with the source material.

Well yeah, but I was hoping they could pull a SHAFT and adapt it faithfully but I was wrong.

Jex

I'm ashamed. If I voted honestly, I think I could count the number of anime I've finished on one hand. I'm really bad about finishing shows, I guess. I'm really close to finishing Tsuritama, Sakamichi no Apollon, and a couple of other shows but I just never got to it.

Well, I always have my backup list.

I don't think there's much shame in not watching too much anime!
SDF Macross - 01

Huh. This was not nearly as good as I remembered it being. Probably due to nostalgia-tinted childhood glasses where anything with robots and action was kickass.
[...]
Nevertheless, I enjoyed the episode and the music is still very memorable.

Childhood nostalgia certain tampers with one's impressions of a work fairly strongly. On my recent viewing of SDF Macross, which I came at from a position of never having seen it before, I found it to be a good but very uneven show.
I should probably get around to Bebop....
Avoid it, as it just cant compare to modern series and is essentially a vintage dull relic anime of the past.
Dang.
I hope you're happy, Jexhius. I had been planning on waiting for some miraculous price drop on one of the various Nadia dvd sets on amazon, but I decided to just buy it today. Why? Why do I do this to myself?

The spiral of self-loathing continues.
There's nothing wrong with owning a quality series!

Cardfight!! Vanguard 16 engDub
tumblr_mg03tsDBEx1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mg03tsDBEx1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Morikawa continuing to provide the comedy here, really funny making up for Aichi's weaknesses. I hope he can get a win record in this tournament definitely still the weakest link compared to Kamui and Kai.
Hope his new card Gordon, is good

Hologram system is amazing especially with the glove to give a player a better connection to the planet Cray...instead of just imagining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom