• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the New World 20:
While this episode wasn't on the same level as 19, it was still a very solid episode. There was still some tension, even though it was more of a transition episode. I thought it was hilarious and telling how
Saki thinks about how horrible it is that the monster was created and manipulated by the Monster Rats, when that's the exact same thing the humans have been doing with the Monster Rats this whole time. There's definitely a real lack of awareness on her part.
The ending of the episode promises some big stuff happening as we head into the final stretch of episodes.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam below Eureka 7. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. My brain cannot compute.

Of note is that I haven't finished Mobile Suit Gundam and I have finished Eureka 7.

I'll give MSG the fact that Frau Bow's brats are always going to be better than Eureka's, and Char is infinitely better than Dewey. But to be honest, sitting in that desert for 20 episodes does NOT do MSG any favors. Just as E7, though, it has the last 20 episodes to make its case, now that it's spent 20 doing jack all in a desert.

Show needs to do something truly amazing to move up a class for me.

The raven is absofuckinglutely correct.

Fun fact about the word absofuckinglutely. I'm taking a linguistics class, and we were learning about "infixes" which are a type of affix like prefixes and suffixes, but in the middle of a word. According to the text book, words like absofuckinglutely and unfuckingbelievable were literally the only examples in the English language of infixes.

Narag

I'll give MSG the fact that Frau Bow's brats are always going to be better than Eureka's, and Char is infinitely better than Dewey. But to be honest, sitting in that desert for 20 episodes does NOT do MSG any favors. Just as E7, though, it has the last 20 episodes to make its case, now that it's spent 20 doing jack all in a desert.

20 eps in the desert, 20 eps after, 3 in Side 7?!

yami4ct

But it'S an action show. If it has good action, then it is good by definition of its type

No, because everything is so bad it drags down the rest of the show. A mecha show's characters and story should at least inoffensive and ignorable. Code Geass's are actively infuriating and distract from what's good.

duckroll

Code Geass is a great show. Solid action, solid comedy. The writing played to the strengths of the material, and it was incredibly memorable. Not a surprise that it remains incredibly popular and ironic long after it has ended.

trejo

Gintama Benizakura Movie

Oh wow, it's even better the second time around. I don't know how to feel about seeing some of you imply that this is the highest point of the show so far. What exactly do you guys mean by that? Should I temper my expectations going forward?

It really is amazing. 15 and 26 (another ensemble-ish skits episode) are my favorite episodes in the series. I personally don't think the show handles drama very well, but when it has fun, I really enjoy it.

Saying the show doesn't handle drama very well is quite the understatement seeing as the show handles drama about as well as Michael J. Fox handles unstable chemicals.

CorvoSol

20 eps in the desert, 20 eps after, 3 in Side 7?!
Sounds about right. They were in that desert FOREVER. You can only tell me about how White Base has no supplies and the crew is suffering from PTSD for so long. Once
Ryu died
they should've left the desert. Instead we were there until
Matilda died.

RE: Code Geass: I haven't seen it yet, and am still mulling over whether I want to. The anorexic character designs don't do anything for me at all. The hero is Golbez, which is a plus, but I dunno. That the hero owns a guy at chess in the first ten minutes without any effort made me worry that Lelouch was going to be a complete Mary Sue.

Now, I'm not sealing final judgment on it. I'm still deciding if I want to watch it or not, and designs have been known to be a poor indicator of quality in the past (LOOKING AT YOU RAH XEPHON YOU UNINSPIRED, PHONED IN RIPPED OFF HACK) but I dunno, so far, no dice.

Really I'm hoping the UC Gundam in general pays off, because frankly I've never been interested in it at all. The greatest sin of all is that I still like SEED more than original Gundam, but I have no good defense for this admittedly bad opinion.

yami4ct

Gintama Benizakura Movie

Oh wow, it's even better the second time around. I don't know how to feel about seeing some of you imply that this is the highest point of the show so far. What exactly do you guys mean by that? Should I temper my expectations going forward?

Saying the show doesn't handle drama very well is quite the understatement seeing as the show handles drama about as well as Michael J. Fox handles unstable chemicals.

I think from an emotional and action level Benizakura is tops. Nothing feels as badass. From a comedy level, though, it only gets way better from there.

fertygo

Gintama Benizakura Movie

Nah.. its just the first serious arc, if you keep watching you'd find that as good or better.

Gintama Benizakura Movie

I've felt the show has consistently topped itself with each successive serious arc so far.

yami4ct

I've felt the show has consistently topped itself with each successive serious arc so far.

I feel the opposite. Well a lot of the serious arcs work, the Yagyu arc is the worst sequence of episodes I've seen in the show thus far. Nothing quite reaches the badass of the Benizakura arc.

789shadow

Banned
Fate/Zero 1

Everyone is directly related to each other. Also, they all want to kill each other. Sounds good.

Anyway, I guess series I'm really interested in watching are:

Gurren Laggan
Spice and Wolf
Cowboy Bebop
Nichojou

It would help if there was a MangaUpdates-like site to keep track of this stuff.

yami4ct

No that's Flit Asuno.

Leluch is almost Flit levels of awful to watch.

Fate/Zero 1

Everyone is directly related to each other. Also, they all want to kill each other. Sounds good.

Gurren Laggan
Spice and Wolf
Cowboy Bebop
Nichojou

It would help if there was a MangaUpdates-like site to keep track of this stuff.

Good list. I may not love Gurren or Fate/Zero, but they are certainly good intro watches.

Fate/Zero 1

Gurren Laggan
Spice and Wolf
Cowboy Bebop
Nichojou

There are several. My anime list seems to be the most popular.

yami4ct

That's saying a lot, because Flit Asuno was like seeing an anime about how Hitler was a great guy who maybe got a tiny bit carried away before he relaxed in the end.

Imagine a show about a hitler level awful person with no real good Asemu like character to balance him out, Also, that guy is the main focus. Geass wouldn't be so bad if some of the characters were likable, but they all suck. Lelouch just happens to be the worst.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fate/Zero 1

Gurren Laggan
Spice and Wolf
Cowboy Bebop
Nichojou

You've acquired a good list there.

CorvoSol

This is false, we're not talking about Renton.

You mean the one character who is likeable, relatable, and human during the dry spell in which all other characters are abusive and vile?

Renton Thurston is miles ahead of Flit Asuno. If for no other reason than Renton had to actually earn his happy ending. And Flit was handed it.

Syrinx

Spice and Wolf 7

All right, I'm officially in. I'm really beginning to enjoy this show.

Best part:
Holo and Lawrence holding hands at the end. They're bestest friends now/possible future romantic interests (though I don't know how I'll feel about that). But for now, it's sweet.

wonzo

Banned
why is this world so cruel
hinamatsuri3a.jpg

it's just too cruel

yami4ct

You mean the one character who is likeable, relatable, and human during the dry spell in which all other characters are abusive and vile?

Renton Thurston is miles ahead of Flit Asuno. If for no other reason than Renton had to actually earn his happy ending. And Flit was handed it.

Well I wouldn't argue that Renton is a good mecha protagonist, I don't think anyone could say he's as bad or worse than Flit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom