• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Well don't count on it unless fillers ... can i offer you a quintuple dose of "misaka" instead ?
Or maybe a bit of "mental out" ?

That's pretty much it.But the good thing is that now Everyone can be involved in the story ... This was pretty much the only time railgun was forced to change their main cast.
Touma will still be a character in railgun however , for better or worse

Yeah those characters designs are lost now, Nobody use them anymore. This give it a old school feelign that i trully enjoyed.

Useless meat is used toward anyone who has large "assets" , but for me there is only one demon queen worthy of the title.

Yeah I see that now but it was a running gag during Haganai. At least you werent picking on Sena!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
Intersetellar.jpg

Sometimes you have stuff in front of you and you just say " why not ?".

I had already seen bits of this in my time ( on tv ) but i realised that i had never seen all the pieces together to see the story properly.
And since i like daft punk , this was one of the few keywords i inputed on Vidzone in my PS4.

I think it was cool to finally see just how every thing ties in together. I had listenned to the album "Discovery" several times before but seeing the thing animated gave it another context and i loved it.
Actually i think it changes the context of many song , especially "harderfasterstronger".

I looked it up , this was released in 2003 and it was made by toei animation ? It has that kind of old school animation that made me crack a smile.
Not going to spoil the plot , most of you already knows about it ,and for those who don't just go watch it ...

"Earl de Darkwood" is a funny name for a bad guy.

This was so good. I still
get choked up when Something About Us plays. :(

I cry everytime to be completely honest. It wasn't the most original story concept but
seeing him sacrifice his life for the love of life, who didn't even know him. And then his spirits saves them when they're escaping. And then the final scene when they inaugurate the statue in his honor

LYK DIS IF U CRY EVERTIM

cajunator

Banned
I cry everytime to be completely honest. It wasn't the most original story concept but
seeing him sacrifice his life for the love of life, who didn't even know him. And then his spirits saves them when they're escaping. And then the final scene when they inaugurate the statue in his honor

LYK DIS IF U CRY EVERTIM

Not a word spoken in that movie yet it really speaks to you. Daft Punk and Leiji hit it out of the park with Interstella 5555.

Jex

I would say that's more indicative of the Chief's guilt rather than a POV thing. The Chief knows he's at fault for the entire situation and so looks down as a way of not facing up to the other parties.

That read isn't mutually exclusive with mine. I've simply pointed out that the people can't or won't look each other in the eye. You've just explained why the Chief can't do it in that one scene. However I claimed that it happens throughout the episode until the characters reach a resolution. You've challenged that claim and so to back my point please see a few examples:

The diver and his daughter don't look at each other when they're speaking to each other, or specifically he doesn't look at her.

Another example of the above.

This one is slightly different and more telling. Ginko addresses the Diver and it looks like he's going to respond to Ginko while looking straight at him, but we're shown him turn away before he responds so that he's not sharing eye contact. It's very deliberate.

This example is another variation. The Chief is speaking to the Diver through the dppr so, obviously, they can't be looking each other in the eye. However it wouldn't even matter if the wall wasn't there because the Diver literally has his back to the door and he's looking down and away.

As I hope you'll agree, this is a pattern.

The mushi aren't really separated though as they connect with that warning song. I guess they're supposed to be analogous/an ideal to Sakichi in that while he's isolated, he's still part of a community and can still help. The mushishi
took away the daughter's ability to speak, similar to how Sakichi silenced her by restricting her movement and freedom
I'd have to re-watch the episode and think about it some more before developing this idea any further, but that seems like a perfectly reasonable reading to me.

cajunator

Banned
That read isn't mutually exclusive with mine. I've simply pointed out that the people can't or won't look each other in the eye. You've just explained why the Chief can't do it in that one scene. However I claimed that it happens throughout the episode until the characters reach a resolution. You've challenged that claim and so to back my point please see a few examples:

The diver and his daughter don't look at each other when they're speaking to each other, or specifically he doesn't look at her.

This one is slightly different and more telling. Ginko addresses the Diver and it looks like he's going to respond to Ginko while looking straight at him, but we're shown him turn away before he responds so that he's not sharing eye contact. It's very deliberate.

This example is another variation. The Chief is speaking to the Diver through the dppr so, obviously, they can't be looking each other in the eye. However it wouldn't even matter if the wall wasn't there because the Diver literally has his back to the door and he's looking down and away.

I'd have to re-watch the episode and think about it some more before developing this idea any further, but that seems like a perfectly reasonable reading to me.

Now Im gonna see imaginary laser beams when I watch Mushishi.

Gbraga

The poses in JoJo are killing me, I'm loving Battle Tendency so muuuuuuch.

And I only realized the references for
the Pillar Men names when JoJo said Esidisi out loud
haha

Lisa Lisa looks so cool, I hope she'll be more than just TRAINING ARC SENSEI.

On an unrelated note, I still can't take Be Mine out of my head, what a great OP. Up there with Mikakunin, Sakura Trick and Noragami for best winter OP. (it's so weird to talk about winter in the past when it just started to get a bit cold here)

JoeFu

Banned
omfg Non Non Biyori 10 is like the cutest thing ever holy crap.

PER is Player Efficiency Rating and I've only seen it used in Basketball. +/- is how good or bad a player does whenever they are in the game. Like if a team was down 20 points, but some guy from the bench came in and the team went caught up, he'd be like a +20. I think people say +/- matters more in hockey or something, it's a pretty stupid stat in basketball though.

cajunator

Banned
omfg Non Non Biyori 10 is like the cutest thing ever holy crap.

PER is Player Efficiency Rating and I've only seen it used in Basketball. +/- is how good or bad a player does whenever they are in the game. Like if a team was down 20 points, but some guy from the bench came in and the team went caught up, he'd be like a +20.

every episode of Non Non Biyori is potentially the cutest thing ever.

PER is Player Efficiency Rating and I've only seen it used in Basketball. +/- is how good or bad a player does whenever they are in the game. Like if a team was down 20 points, but some guy from the bench came in and the team went caught up, he'd be like a +20. I think people say +/- matters more in hockey or something, it's a pretty stupid stat in basketball though.

It's only stupid in raw form, RAPM is pretty much the most important of advanced basketball statistics at the moment for judging a player's overall impact.

Yeah I see that now but it was a running gag during Haganai. At least you werent picking on Sena!
No need to All the cast of haganai don't need anyone to be looked down , they just do that themselves.
Aside from the perverted scientifist , everyone sucks in haganai and i watched both seasons.

"Too long " is the one with the feeligns just in front of "voyager"

cajunator

Banned
No need to All the cast of haganai don't need anyone to be looked down , they just do that themselves.
Aside from the perverted scientifist , everyone sucks in haganai and i watched both seasons.

"Too long " is the one with the feeligns just in front of "voyager"

I will give you that Rikka is incredibly cute and perverted and loveable.

Jex

Overall, it was a surprisingly fun mental exercise. It took a lot of time, but I feel a lot more invested into the episode and the emotions feel a lot stronger to me. It's definitely something people need to try at least once. Thanks for posting those links in the thread, and thanks for pointing out things in my analysis! Honestly, when I started I didn't think I would have too much to analyze because I was looking down on anime, but I'm glad to be wrong. It was a lot of fun. :D

Oh yeah, I forgot to point out that you should probably post a sample of your analysis and a link to the full one over in the main Mushi-Shi thread here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795860

There's also Nononono, which is probably crap, but the idea of a girl pretending to be a guy in order to break into the "sexist" sport of Ski Jumping (at least pre-Sochi) is interesting as well.

Nononono is amazing for all the wrong reasons. It's by the Elfen Lied guy and it's like he forgot he was writing/drawing something that wasn't as ridiculously bleak as EL. There's a really oppressive atmosphere, causing this weird dichotomy between the tone and content. It's essentially a sports shounen (despite being seinen) in content with the whole "people better than they should be by breaking ridiculous records and nonsensical metaphors about the wind", but there's a lot of dead eyes and dark sidestories that kind of betray the premise.

sonicmj1

Let the backlog season begin!

Spice and Wolf 1

This episode takes things very slowly. There's hardly any meaningful conflict. But it sets up the characters pretty well.

iblKXXCHfEp4ra.jpg

I really like how the opening montage established the show's setting. It's incredibly efficient at transitioning from the rural past into the more-developed present. The "eventually" in that line says so much on its own.

Lawrence's interactions with Chloe don't seem like they'll be very meaningful to the plot in and of themselves. But they say a lot about his character without telling us directly. It doesn't seem like he gained anything directly from taking on an apprentice, which says he's kind-hearted. But he also refuses her business proposition, which shows that he's cautious and experienced. It's hard to call it efficient when the dialogue itself doesn't really lead anywhere, but I like that they're actually showing things without doing a lot of telling.

iwNFBNISHA9Qx.jpg

Usually the way things were framed didn't do much for me, but I like how the moonlight hits Holo at this moment, showing how Lawrence's feelings are turning.

Holo's still enigmatic, capricious as she is. But I'm looking forward to seeing more of her. She has a nice dynamic with Lawrence already, teasing him with a good sense of just how far she can go.

I can see why people might find this episode boring, but the way the setting mixes pagan gods with renaissance modernity, and the way exposition gets handled, makes me hopeful. The writing's good, even if the direction seems a little too active and purposeless, like they feel like the camera needs to move even if they don't know why. I hope it turns out well.

Mr.Jeff

Not as bad as Gintama!

Translator's note: Gintama is a popular comedy anime series based on a shonen manga by Hideaki Sorachi.
You should check out some of the Pani Poni Dash reference notes. I seem to recall there were so many, they ended up releasing separate .pdfs with lists of the references and time frames.

fertygo

Reading the Mahouka OT, yeah that gonna really encourage people posting outside of this thread, I'm not even talking about the OP and thread title.

minty_jpg

Haikyu!! 2

Regular shonen/slice of life show, but I'm enjoying the chemistry between the main character and his rival. Will keep watching.

Jarmel

Banned

I definitely agree it's a pattern but I think the reasoning behind the shots are different in that it's more indicative of the selfishness and introverted behavior of the Diver. It's a visual representation of his behavior in that he's not really concerned about his daughter and is mainly using her as an excuse. Him refusing to make eye contact with anyone is another example of his isolation.

Minor difference I guess.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't think you need to condense the text so much as use some discretion with the images you select to represent your point. There's good stuff there, but it would be far more effective with just one or two good images to convey each point. Have more confidence in your expression and analysis, and remember that the main audience reading it would be people who have also seen the episode and are looking for additional insight, so there isn't a need to over illustrate, and that also in terms makes it less of an eye sore for those who haven't seen it yet and don't want to be overwhelmed by images. :)
I would disagree that the audience is those who have already seen it, as when you use images effectively you don't need to provide additional context to make your point. I would agree, though, that you can make your points without making your analysis a summary. I've read interesting analysis of works I haven't seen that have gone over one specific scene that made me interested in watching the larger work.

Basically, try to make every image have a specific purpose.

yami4ct

Mushi-Shi Episodes 1-13

Given all the hype this show has going into its second season, I thought I should finally check it out. What an amazing, beautiful, atmospheric series. I find that purely episodic shows like this tend to not really work with me. They usually run out of steam/ideas a few episodes in. Every episode of this series somehow brings with it an amazing sense of wonder and discovery. It's almost akin to the beautifully intriguing world building of something like Spirited Away. Combine that with the fact that each episode actually has something of thematic value to say and this show is a real treat to watch every episode.

I guess I'll close this by calling out the episode on Ginko's backstory as a particularly amazing one. Touching, beautiful to look at and quite heartbreaking. A wonder of episodic fiction storytelling. With that episode, this show definitely shot up onto my "all time favorites" list.

Midonin

Mangaka 02

Slightly less lewd this week, and the cast has expanded a bit. Rinna is very much what I expect from a Yuka Iguchi character. Finding out how Yuuki and Ashisu met was also nice. In the year between that flashback and now, it looks like he's gained a lot more confidence. And hearing it said out loud in the preview, I realize just how lewd of a title the shortened version - ManAshi - is. Japanese language, don't stop being you.

BluWacky

Mangaka 02

I realize just how lewd of a title the shortened version - ManAshi - is. Japanese language, don't stop being you.

Any chance of an explanation why this is the case for those of us who aren't fluent? All I can find for manashi is "gapless" so presumably there's some nuance I'm missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom