• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witchfire - Coming to Steam Early Access 20 Sept 2024 (Dark Fantasy RPG Shooter)

Branded

Put in about 14 hours so far so not really sure what people are on about with 'lacking in content'. I mean it's 'only' three maps atm but there's so much to discover and unlock. It's already a 10/10 for me so this will be the easy 2025 GOTY for me if they hit that release target. Here's the roadmap btw:

wf_roadmap-final-copy.jpg

More in-depth details here: https://www.theastronauts.com/2024/08/witchfire-roadmap-2024-2025/

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

The devs have just posted their first post-launch devlog and apparently the reception has been a success, not in the least of which due to word of mouth from more notable streamers/youtubers.

But yeah it's still criminally underappreciated though. Hopefully the 1.0 release will do even better for them (as has been the case with many other titles recently).
I was also going to say that if it has a multiplayer mode, streamers can get a new IP into the zeitgeist like Leathal Company or Escape From Tarkov, ect. as long as the gameplay makes for good memes or clips.

Branded

I picked this up on EG when it came out for "1st time early access". I am an old man...but damn this game is tough. I cannot seem to "get gud" enough to make any progress.
It can be very rough for sure but persevere and make sure to focus on leveling the Gnosis at least once as well.

Also don't be like me and only realize until much later that you have ridiculous amounts of witchfire just sitting in your inventory waiting for you to redeem them lol. Will help massively with levelling.

Oh and you can apparently recruit the help (ala Dark Souls) from a Preyer buddy that you unlock by collecting every three pieces of mask per map. I say apparently because in my 14 hours of playtime I only just discovered this myself after having done pretty much all content lol. The mask pieces aren't that hard to find if you keep your eyes open (they even omit a sound) and with them you can activate a Preyer, for use in an expedition, at the top of the staircase in the hub (next to the Vestal Flame).

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It can be very rough for sure but persevere and make sure to focus on leveling the Gnosis at least once as well.

Also don't be like me and only realize until much later that you have ridiculous amounts of witchfire just sitting in your inventory waiting for you to redeem them lol. Will help massively with levelling.

Oh and also you can apparently recruit the help (ala Dark Souls) from a Preyer buddy that you unlock by collecting every three pieces of mask per map. I say apparently because in my 14 hours of playtime I only just discovered this myself after having done pretty much all content lol. The mask pieces aren't that hard to find if you keep your eyes open (they even omit a sound) and with them you can activate a Preyer, for use in an expedition, at the top of the staircase in the hub (next to the Vestal Flame).
Thanks, will keep that in mind (I don't recognize any of the things you are mentioning). I'll give it another go on steam its been a few months since I played last.

Denton

I remember reading about something a developer said where they wanted the revolvers to feel like they do in destiny. Is that true?
Adrian Chmielarz (game director, also on Painkiller, Bulletstorm and some other games) has thousands of hours in Destiny and most of his reddit posts are in its sub. Suffice to say destiny gunplay is the biggest inspiration of Witchfire's.

Top Bottom