• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•07-09•15 - Gifted MI5 cruises by F4. DBZ fans still warm 4 Frieza's form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trank had already burned his bridges long ago by his production antics and getting fired from Star Wars.

The tweet was just the equivalent of pissing on the ashes. Why he even bothered to deleted it is beyond me.

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation --> expected a blockbuster :L
Fantastic Four --> this seems a failure.. but you know how it goes, it may suck sooo much that it might just become a cult classic.. when you make a full circle you're left at the beginning :X
The Gift (2015) --> intrigued
Ant-Man --> intrigued

now, as soon as james bonde spectre hits, my spy-fiction vein will be filled :p

Anth0ny

Fantastic Four --> this seems a failure.. but you know how it goes, it may suck sooo much that it might just become a cult classic.. when you make a full circle you're left at the beginning :X

eh, from what I've heard it's not funny bad, like a batman and robin. it's depressing bad. boring bad. the worst kind of bad.

at least when a film is campy bad you can go back and laugh at it. not sure if that's the case here...

Best thing for Fox to do is try to get some bucks from Disney to turn over the rights to the F4 and associated characters ASAP. A second reboot 6 years from now is just going to be tainted by the previous efforts, and even with all the talk of "crossovers," the F4 don't make a good match with the X-Men universe. It's over.

Even a co-production deal will carry the stink of the last 3 movies. Fox is never going to turn it around.

Penguin

Best thing for Fox to do is try to get some bucks from Disney to turn over the rights to the F4 and associated characters ASAP. A second reboot 6 years from now is just going to be tainted by the previous efforts, and even with all the talk of "crossovers," the F4 don't make a good match with the X-Men universe. It's over.

Even a co-production deal will carry the stink of the last 3 movies. Fox is never going to turn it around.

Well, I don't know... you assume the brand isn't tarnished enough that Marvel sees value in it...

So I mean has some inherit value to FOX

And again, FOX isn't in any dire situation that they need to do anything rash with the property right now.

Not short on money, and not short on successful comic book properties.

They can sit on FF for another 6-7 years

Considering how skidmarked the brand is at this point, could Marvel?

Would Marvel even want to - especially considering that Hickman is currently the only person anywhere in that company that seems to care much for the Fantastic Four, and he's leaving?

Plus, even if the two companies do get to the negotiating stage, Marvel will lowball the shit out of Fox for those rights.

kswiston

Would Marvel even want to - especially considering that Hickman is currently the only person anywhere in that company that seems to care much for the Fantastic Four, and he's leaving?

Plus, even if the two companies do get to the negotiating stage, Marvel will lowball the shit out of Fox for those rights.

I think that the brand still has a lot of value to Marvel. If for nothing else than the fact that it opens up a lot more possibilities for future Guardians and Avengers movies with Doom, Kang, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, various marvel cosmic races/characters, etc.

That said, I agree that they will try to get rights as cheap as possible at this point.

I think that the brand still has a lot of value to Marvel. If for nothing else than the fact that it opens up a lot more possibilities for future Guardians and Avengers movies with Doom, Kang, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Annihilus, various marvel cosmic races/characters, etc.

But that's not the brand, though. That's characters connected to it contractually. The brand "Fantastic Four" is pretty fucked - and honestly, it has been for awhile now.

I feel like at this point all I really want is for Marvel to get Doom in the MCU and just leave the rest to rot. There just isn't anything that interests me about the Fantastic Four characters at all anymore.

Reed Richards: I'm constantly messing with things I shouldn't be messing with and I don't appreciate my wife.

Sue Richards: My husband is a habitual line stepper, and he doesn't appreciate me, but am I finally gonna leave him for Namor? Nope.

The Thing: Ahh I'm a monster now, also clobbering time.

Johnny Storm: I can be interesting every now and then but I can also just be described as that one stereotypical charming rogue character.

Also the whole "The Fantastic Four fighting Doctor Doom" story seems incredibly outdated at this point, doesn't the guy basically have his whole country now? He seems like he should be more at Nick Fury/Avengers level, not just dealing with some asshole scientist over in New York.

Talon

Slashfilm guys were talking about how F4 could work as a retro film - say a film set in the 70s.

I'd dig it. Actually, no, it would still bomb because this is the lamest group of superheroes on the planet.

The Incredibles was Fantastic Four done better.

kswiston

But that's not the brand, though. That's characters connected to it contractually. The brand "Fantastic Four" is pretty fucked - and honestly, it has been for awhile now.

Ya, you're right. I should have said the umbrella characters.

The Fantastic Four themselves don't actually need their own film in the MCU universe. The rights to the characters would still be of benefit though.

the chris

Limited release

giphy.gif

TIP: Destroyed by the reviews or box office fits more but perfect.

WIsh I could take credit for this, but I'm not that clever.

Marvel won't make a F4 movie. The brand is dead at least for another generation. They're worse off than Batman & Robin was, in that there's been three FF movies and they've all been garbage.

There has not ever been a single good FF movie. Audiences have no incentive to go, and Disney would have no incentive to make one. Disney is better off making a movie for another hero, or making a movie about Doom rather than F4, from his POV.

The Fantastic Four themselves don't actually need their own film in the MCU universe.

In fact, I could see a scenario where the rights are bought back, and Doom is introduced as an already ruling dictator who has already defeated/banished the Four. A kind of a "Who the hell is this dude?" "He was part of that one expedition" "What happened to everyone else?" "He did." situation.

I said it in another thread, but I'm not sure that even if they got the rights, Marvel would actually want to make another Fantastic 4 movie. The value of the Fantastic 4 franchise for Marvel right now isn't in making a movie out of it, it's in using the characters attached to the property to fill out their other movies (Galactus and Surfer in GOTG, Doom in Avengers or even Dr. Strange, and a few other things in Captain Marvel and/or Inhumans). Which is the main reason I think whatever negotiation occurs won't be about money at all. And why I said that Marvel getting the rights back is more than likely going to be about how much Fox wants to make that X-Men TV show (which is the primary set of rights that Marvel has that Fox wants right now).

Well, I don't know... you assume the brand isn't tarnished enough that Marvel sees value in it...

And again, FOX isn't in any dire situation that they need to do anything rash with the property right now.

If Marvel is going to do anything with the F4, the planning has to start at least 3-4 years ahead of time. Despite the failure of the franchise, I truly think they want some control of every aspect of Marvel movie properties. Give it few months for the sting to fade, and I bet they'll come back to Fox with another offer, and sweeten it just a bit to make it tempting enough for Fox to bite.

As to the ruined rep, I think a few supporting appearances with established Marvel properties can do a lot to wash away some of the Fox failure. It will take work, but it's certainly a lot better than Fox can do at this point.

I just don't see Fox being so stubborn that they'll try it yet again, when that money can go to a successful franchise with plenty of continued sequel and spin-off opportunity. Get some money from Disney in the short term to off-set the loses from this turkey, and keep making Mutant movies.

Anth0ny

Marvel won't make a F4 movie. The brand is dead at least for another generation. They're worse off than Batman & Robin was, in that there's been three FF movies and they've all been garbage.

There has not ever been a single good FF movie. Audiences have no incentive to go, and Disney would have no incentive to make one. Disney is better off making a movie for another hero, or making a movie about Doom rather than F4, from his POV.

They would just start setting up Doom, Galactus and Silver Surfer if they got the rights now, most likely. A stand alone Fantastic Four wouldn't happen until phase 4, which is 2020 and beyond.

By then, in conjunction with dat Marvel marketing, people will forget about this garbage F4.

I just don't think people are predisposed to giving a fuck about the Fantastic Four, overall, and I don't think Marvel Studios cares enough to put in the time and energy to make anyone care. And they would have to put in a lot of work. It wouldn't be an automatic, I don't think. Not if the company's attitude towards the characters on publishing side is anything to go by, either.

Hell, look at the last year or so of responses to this project as proof: Even the fans of the Four seem to regard them as a means by which to get Doom onscreen, and not much more than that.

They're a Doom delivery service, and that's how the hardcores see them. Everyone else just doesn't care at all.

I'm curious, do character deals work in a way to incorporate those elements into X-Men, without the Fantastic Four? But the deal itself requires a Fantastic Four film within 6 years?

Neoxon

The Fantastic Four could still be salvaged, but it would have to be Marvel Studios who saves the franchise in about 5 or so years. That plus Marvel's marketing would be enough to banish Fant4stic into distant memory by 2020 or so (whenever Phase 4 is in full swing). But even then, the true worth of the Fantastic Four rights lies with its villains & cosmic characters.

Depending on when they would hypothetically get the rights back they have a number of other franchises to backdoor the FF into. Like with Hulk all they need to do is do it right and build demand for it. Introduce and develop them in Spider-Man, Inhumans, Avengers, a solo Doom flick and then Phase 4 or 5 can get FF.

A FF movie isn't the priority, but the characters and villains would enrich the MCU considerably.

Abounder

Banned

Yea, at best Fox will wait-and-see how MCU/Sony handles yet another Spider-Man reboot but realistically a crossover between Fox/MCU isn't going to happen anytime soon. Maybe when the MCU itself reboots we'll see F4 alongside them.

Would this even work though? The characters themselves, even when written very well in their own comics, recently went pretty much ignored by that audience. Fox could be like "Look - we're finally making that period-piece early '60s FF movie that everyone wants" and I'm not sure anyone would still show up at this point. "Fantastic Four" just might not engender any real excitement among general audiences, period.

To me F4 shows that even a piece of shit can still make $60m worldwide, as long as it has a Marvel comic book property. Its family dynamic, setting, and villains can make a reboot/crossover a hit but you're right the franchise has been fading away even to superfans. Definitely tricky

Neoxon

As for the whole "no X-Men or F4 merchandise thing" that was purely to screw over Fox. I can guarantee that if Marvel gets the F4 pass, expect to see their comic back & the team to grow in prominence once the stench of Fant4stic begins to subside.

kswiston

If Marvel really wanted to have the Fantastic Four themselves in the MCU, they could backdoor the franchise into a Spider-man or Iron Man movie. It wouldn't be that hard to do. I just don't think they will bother to do a Fantastic Four solo film for awhile, even if they had the rights back.

bill0527

eh, from what I've heard it's not funny bad, like a batman and robin. it's depressing bad. boring bad. the worst kind of bad.

at least when a film is campy bad you can go back and laugh at it. not sure if that's the case here...

This.

F4 ain't Big Trouble In Little China. It's just a bad movie period.

E the Shaggy

It's not that hard to save F4. Just do something like this and call the movie "FF";

Reintroducing the FF and Doom in a Spidey movie (Spider-Man: Future Foundation so you don't even need to call them the Fantastic Four) would actually be pretty brilliant.

I knew Dragonball was gonna smash it. Too bad it's not allowed on the box office chart because it was "limited". Talk about a fucking racket to make the studio movies look better.

They would just start setting up Doom, Galactus and Silver Surfer if they got the rights now, most likely. A stand alone Fantastic Four wouldn't happen until phase 4, which is 2020 and beyond.

By then, in conjunction with dat Marvel marketing, people will forget about this garbage F4.

Man, if there were any way Marvel could get the rights and we get real god damn Galactus...

!!!

Blader

That looks like a pretty good opening for The Gift. Trailer looked awful, but given all the great reviews and impressions here, I'll have to check it out.

Neoxon

Fox still seems pretty confident about going forward with Fant4stic 2.
"While we're disappointed, we remain committed to these characters and we have a lot to look forward to in our Marvel universe," said Fox domestic distribution chief Chris Aronson, declining to comment specifically on Fantastic Four 2.
This could just be false bravado, as there's nothing to be positive about in terms of the F4's future in Fox's hands given these box office numbers.

Fox still seems pretty confident about going forward with Fant4stic 2.

This could just be false bravado, as there's nothing to be positive about in terms of the F4's future in Fox's hands given these box office numbers.

I truly don't see a scenario where using the F4 is in any way possible for them. They have destroyed the franchise to the point I assure you Marvel doesn't even want the team itself.

No doubt Marvel wants the rights though. The succes of Guardians proves to them they can have success in the cosmic and getting Galactus, Super Skrull, Surfer, Annihulis, etc would be huge for them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom