• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 09•19-21•14 - audiences would rather Run than Walk @ theaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

HThAQTh.jpg
uDGPbMj.jpg
HXk2145.jpg
emhzpA3.jpg
CMoBObB.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
63% The Maze Runner
9wcOG.gif
65% A Walk Among the Tombstones
8mB0Q.gif
43% This is Where I Leave You
3Pj0x.gif
11% No Good Deed (2014)
0hJB1.gif
70% Dolphin Tale 2
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
39% Tusk

metacritic:

*click pic(s) for source*

‘Maze Runner’ Outpaces Liam Neeson on Way to $31 Million Debut

YA adaptation “The Maze Runner” has far outpaced the Liam Neeson-starrer “Walk Among the Tombstones.”

“The Maze Runner” opened to $11.3 million Stateside on Friday. Fox’s dystopian drama is on track for a higher-than-anticipated $31 million weekend debut – double the expected earnings for the runner-up, “Walk Among the Tombstones.”

Based on the first book in James Dashner’s trilogy of the same name, the $34 million production follows a group of teenage boys (and one girl) who are trapped in a maze. The young cast is led by “Teen Wolf” star Dylan O’Brien, whose character comes up with a strategy to escape their prison.

Fox hopes to appeal to the young-adult audience that turned “The Hunger Games,” “Twilight” and “Divergent” into thriving franchises.

Universal’s crime thriller “Walk Among the Tombstones” launched to $4.7 million on its way to a $14 million weekend, which is below forecast. Neeson’s most recent movie, “Non-Stop” (also from Universal), opened to $28.9 million in March on its way to $202.4 million worldwide.

And although the subject matter of an ex-detective investigating a series of kidnappings is similar to the action star’s “Taken” series, “Tombstones” won’t come close to reaching the opening numbers for those movies. “Taken 2” debuted to $49.5 million in 2012 (hauling $376.1 million worldwide), while “Taken” launched to a much lower $24.7 million four years earlier (grossing $226.8 million worldwide).

“Walk Among the Tombstones” carries a $28 million production budget.

Both newcomers received a decent critical response, with “Maze” earning a 62% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and “Tombstones” earning 66%.

Another new release, the star-studded “This Is Where I Leave You,” came in third on Friday with $3.9 million. Warner Bros.’ dramedy is on its way to an $11 million debut.

Based on Jonathon Tropper’s best-seller, “This Is Where I Leave You” is a fairly low-risk studio commitment, considering its $20 million production cost. The pic stars Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, Adam Driver and Jane Fonda as a family that’s brought together following the death of the patriarch.

Two holdovers rounded out the top five on Friday.

Last week’s winner, “No Good Deed,” came in fourth with $3 million as it headed for a $9 million to $9.5 million weekend, which would raise its cume to over $39 million.

WB’s second weekend of Alcon’s “Doplhin Tale 2” finished fifth with $2.1 million en route to an almost $9 million second frame. The pic stands to earn more than $26 by weekend’s end.

“Guardians of the Galaxy” dropped to sixth with $1.4 million on Friday. It stands to gross $5 million by Sunday, which would raise its impressive eight-week cume to over $313 million — the highest U.S. gross of the year.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

The Maze Runner (Updated numbers)

Production Budget: $34 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $32,500,000 39.9%
+ Foreign: $49,000,000 60.1%
= Worldwide: $81,500,000

Very good.

1. The Maze Runner $32,500,000
2. A Walk Among the Tombstones $13,126,000
3. This is Where I Leave You $11,860,000

bort

The Maze Runner

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $32,500,000 79.7%
+ Foreign: $8,276,000 20.3%
= Worldwide: $40,776,000

Very good.

Sequel announced http://variety.com/2014/film/news/maze-runner-sequel-september-2015-1201310235/

A sequel to “The Maze Runner” will arrive in theaters next September, 20th Century Fox announced on the heels of the first film’s impressive debut.

The follow-up to the young adult hit, “The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials” races into theaters on Sept. 18, 2015. There’s potential for more “Maze Runners” beyond that. Author James Dashner also penned another sequel, “The Death Cure,” that could be adapted for the big screen at a future date.

The Maze Runner

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $32,500,000 79.7%
+ Foreign: $8,276,000 20.3%
= Worldwide: $40,776,000

Very good.

BOM has TMR's international total at 49m.

So there is about zero chance at this point that Guardians doesn't outdo Winter Soldier to become Marvel's third biggest movie behind Avengers and Iron Man 3. Some crazy shit.

BOM has TMR's international total at 49m.

Thanks they updated the numbers. I thought the numbers were already updated

The maze runner

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $32,500,000 39.9%
+ Foreign: $49,000,000 60.1%
= Worldwide: $81,500,000

Even if The Maze Runner falls a bit short in the U.S., it does look poised for a solid international run. It opened well above Divergent in five markets last weekend, and expands in to another 48 territories (including Australia, Brazil, Russia and Spain) this weekend.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3908&p=.htm

It seems it will do very well in international markets.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

- Guardians of the Galaxy - $632M
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - $333M
- Hercules - $219M
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - $683M

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I have to say Maze Runner was a pretty fun movie. Also feels weird to be 1 out of 3 dudes in a theater full of girls/women there to see Dylan O Brien :p

I think that depends on China & Italy.

Yeah, I guess I should say as long as it doesn't completely bomb in China. But, as of now even if it stopped making money everywhere else in the world and did about 72% the box office Winter Soldier did in China, it would make it to number three. Seeing as it still has a little bit more to make even in the US, that seems like a pretty easy goal.

Neoxon

Guardians will do gangbusters in China.
While I'm sure GotG will do fine in China, if it'll be huge over there remains to be seen. Then again, it did better in Japan than most MCU films (which isn't saying much on either GotG's or the other MCU films' behalf), so there's hope.

kswiston

While I'm sure GotG will do fine in China, if it'll be huge over there remains to be seen. Then again, it did better in Japan than most MCU films (which isn't saying much on either GotG's or the other MCU films' behalf), so there's hope.

Guardians still has $10M or so left in the tank domestically, and $15-25M left overseas outside of China depending on how the film performs in Italy. Taking the low end of that means that Guardians needs to make $57M in China to surpass Captain America 2. Basically about the same as Thor 2.

The Boxtrolls did an $11 million opening week with openings in:

1) Malta (10 September 2014)
2) Denmark (11 September 2014)
3) Mexico (11 September 2014)
4) Malaysia (11 September 2014)
5) Singapore (11 September 2014)
6) UK (12 September 2014)
7) Ireland (12 September 2014)
8) Sweden (12 September 2014)
9) Taiwan (12 September 2014)
10) Vietnam (12 September 2014)
11) Australia (18 September 2014)
12) Finland (19 September 2014)
13) Lithuania (19 September 2014)

Initial indications seem to have it performing slightly better than or on-par with Paranorman, Laika's last film.

Examples:

Paranorman UK first week - $2,259,399, 480 theatres
The Boxtrolls UK first week - $3,254,571, 510 theatres

Paranorman Mexico first week - $2,200,866, 942 theatres
The Boxtrolls Mexico first week - $1,680,986, 1,287 theatres

It's too early to get any sort of impression across its entire International release, but I hope the film does end up having greater momentum than its predecessor.

Paranorman, at a $60 million development budget, an estimated $83 million development + marketing budget, and a paltry $107 million box office, needed to rely heavily on DVD / Blu-ray + VOD promotions to even make back its budget.

BLACKLAC

What are the odds Guardians can reach $650m WW before it releases in China?

Guardians still has $10M or so left in the tank domestically, and $15-25M left overseas outside of China depending on how the film performs in Italy. Taking the low end of that means that Guardians needs to make $57M in China to surpass Captain America 2. Basically about the same as Thor 2.

So it's a lock that GOTG is the highest grossing cbm of the year, both domestic and WW. Hmmm.

I have to say Maze Runner was a pretty fun movie. Also feels weird to be 1 out of 3 dudes in a theater full of girls/women there to see Dylan O Brien :p
Strangely enough, my theater was packed with guys! Big dudes, little dudes (kids), older dudes... My sisters and a few girlfriends/ wives of some of these dudes made up about 15-20% or so of the audience of the movie, much to my surprise.

Strangely enough, my theater was packed with guys! Big dudes, little dudes (kids), older dudes... My sisters and a few girlfriends of some of these dudes made up about 15-20% or so of the audience of the movie, much to my surprise.

I feel like the books lent themselves to the male audience more with the complete lack of romance.

According to an article I saw the audience overall was slip about 50/50.

DieH@rd

Banned
GOTG needs ~$35 million more to surpass earnings of Man of Steel [however GOTG had $55m smaller production budget and most surely smaller marketing budget].

GOTG opens in China in few weeks.

GOTG needs ~$35 million more to surpass earnings of Man of Steel [however GOTG had $55m smaller production budget and most surely smaller marketing budget].

It is a shockingly good movie, so it should continue to make a decent amount of money domestically for the next few weeks.

Neoxon

China will be GotG's Level 3 X-Favor. Hopefully they make it count.

Busty

Banned
A Walk Among The Tombstones is probably best described as a 'meat and potatoes' film in so much as it never really dazzles but is a solid enough thriller in it's own right.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a must see in the cinema but it's certainly worth checking out at some point.

Grisby

Tombstones was decent, some really strong performances there. The ending is dumb as hell but yeah, Liam was good.

kswiston

So it's a lock that GOTG is the highest grossing cbm of the year, both domestic and WW. Hmmm.

It's not a lock, since you are forgetting about DOFP's $742M gross, but it could happen if China opens strong.

That said, Guardians is almost certainly going to be the highest grossing superhero film domestically and the lowest grossing superhero film overseas this year. However, the $70-120M lead domestically more than picks up the slack for lower overseas grosses.

BLACKLAC

It's not a lock, since you are forgetting about DOFP's $742M gross, but it could happen if China opens strong.

That said, Guardians is almost certainly going to be the highest grossing superhero film domestically and the lowest grossing superhero film overseas this year. However, the $70-120M lead domestically more than picks up the slack for lower overseas grosses.

I'm pretty much assuming Guardians will make 100m minimum in China and it's currently sitting at $632m WW. Throwing in your numbers (another $10M Domestic, $15-25M left overseas outside of China), it's looking like a lock. Some people may say releasing Guardians in October will hurt it in China but Guardians has been obliterating expectations so I don't put much stock in it. If it reaches 650$ WW before it hits China, it's a lock.

kswiston

I'm pretty much assuming Guardians will make 100m minimum in China and it's currently sitting at $632m WW. Throwing in your numbers (another $10M Domestic, $15-25M left overseas outside of China), it's looking like a lock. Some people may say releasing Guardians in October will hurt it but Guardians has been obliterating expectations so I don't put much stock in it. If it reaches 650$ WW before it's a lock.

It's not a perfect match up for Chinese tastes or anything, but Cap made twice as much as Guardians in Hong Kong, and almost 3 times as much in South Korea. Other $100M+ Chinese films this year like Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and X-Men: DOFP also made triple what Guardians did in South Korea. Guardians hasn't been particularly strong in Asia.

Really happy for Dylan o Brien. Out of all the cast of Teen Wolf, after seeing him in Season 3B, it was clear he was the most talented of the bunch. Good to see the sequel has already been greenlit.

Also, the great thing about the MCU phase 2 films is that all of them have made at least $600 million or more.

Another Guardians of the Box Office Update: The $318+M Domestic March for the #1 Starter Franchise of the MCU

this is a launch aligned comparison, so that you can see how the movie is doing.

[Movie: Daily Sat / Sun - Domestic Gross / # of Days (Total Domestic / WW Gross)]
GotG: $2,478,000 / $1,321,000 - $313,669,000 / 52 ($313,669,000 / $632,269,000) <wknd est>
IM 1: $1,644,786 / $1,254,955 - $304,816,141 / 52 ($318,412,101 / $585,174,222)

Domestic / WorldWide Comparison
[Movie: (Domestic Gross / WW Gross)]
GotG: ($313,669,000 / $632,269,000)
Ironman 1: ($318,412,101 / $585,174,222)
Ironman 2: ($312,433,331 / $623,933,331)
Cap 2: ($259,746,958 / $714,063,958)
MoS: ($291,045,518 / $668,045,518)
Thor 2: ($206,362,140 / $644,783,140)

Next weekend Guardians could pass by Ironman 1 domestically, and should easily pass Thor 2 World Wide.
As soon as China opens next month, it's smooth sailing pass MoS (if it hadn't already), and then should easily surpass Captain America as well.

kswiston

Also, the great thing about the MCU phase 2 films is that all of them have made at least $600 million or more.

$3.2B in box office receipts off of $710M in production costs is definitely a strong performance. When you throw in Avengers 2 (and the remaining GOTG gross), Phase 2 could clear $5B in Worldwide grosses.

Seth C

Looks like Guardians passes the original Iron Man by next weekend. Considering how amazed everyone was at the success of that film back then, that's a pretty incredible accomplishment. For all the grief people give about Thor and others being "unknown" c list characters, the guardians really are complete unknowns even to a lot of comic book fans.

I grew up reading Marvel and was only vaguely familiar with the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom