• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 09•19-21•14 - audiences would rather Run than Walk @ theaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drayco21

I grew up reading (a limited selection of) Marvel too, but never heard of the Guardians till news of the movie getting made was started.

The run the movie is based on came from 2008, was part of several critically acclaimed and well loved events, and was hailed at the time as one of the best books coming out in the dredge of post-civil war Marvel. It's not that the book was obscure, it made a lot of sense coming out of Avengers (granted, less sense than Nova), it's just that no one actually cares about comic books.

Saw Guardians for the 4th, probably final, at least for a while, time at the drive-in. I love it so much, and so glad it was the success it rightfully deserved. Also saw TMNT for a 2nd time as the double feature, still pretty fun movie.

I had a few Guardians books from the 90's, but it never really clicked with me so those few were all I bought. The movie was spectacular though. I knew if WoM was good the movie would be successful, but it's opening weekend took me by surprise. It started much higher than I was expecting. And it's had a much longer tail than I expected.

Marvel is definitely one of the most consistent money makers in Hollywood right now. Which is just odd when you think about it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Did that meet Smith's expectations, or is it a disaster?

nVDIMr5.png

A low opening for him, but it's a more limited release. Plus a lower budget than Clerks II/Cop Out/Zack and Miri

shira

tumblr_n5ofv5g6fm1s3y9slo1_500.gif

I fucking need this now. Sculli how long till the OT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Really mad The Drop is sort of bombing. Probably my favorite film this year. Definitely the best acted. Hardy and Gandolfini deserve accolades come award season.

They really fucked up the marketing on it.

FoneBone

Smith just tweeted that Tusk only had a $3M budget so they're gonna be fine.

He wasn't doing this project for the cash anyway.

Production budget isn't everything - if enough was spent on marketing the film, a low-budget movie could gross several times its budget and still be a commercial failure.

That said, I don't know how much A24 actually spent to market it - probably not that massive given that it only got a semi-wide release - but the per-theater numbers are pretty lousy.

Production budget isn't everything - if enough was spent on marketing the film, a low-budget movie could gross several times its budget and still be a commercial failure.

That said, I don't know how much A24 actually spent to market it - probably not that massive given that it only got a semi-wide release - but the per-theater numbers are pretty lousy.

He'll be fine because he's got 1-2 million people who will buy anything he puts out regardless. So long as he doesn't make anything with a budget north of 10-15 million from here on out, he can feast on those 2 million people dropping 20-30 bucks apiece on everything he does from here on out and never really sweat it.

Impressive stuff for The Maze Runner already pretty much made its budget back domestically.

$34 million production budget. One of the reasons it had such a big opening relative to its small production budget is because it apparently had a lot of money (relatively speaking) poured into advertising.

It has an estimated ~$70 million production + marketing budget, so it will need like ~$140 million combined lifetime grosses to make a profit off of the box office alone.

But still, it's well on its way with a $81.5 million worldwide opening.

It's not updated on BOM for whatever reason, but according to Rentrak, How to Train Your Dragon 2 sold $1.27 million across 2,227 screens in 29 markets for an updated International estimate of $436.9 million.

Combine this with the updated domestic total of $175,576,448 and we have an estimated $612,476,448 million worldwide gross figure.

Its next milestone is Kung Fu Panda at $631 million, and it looks unlikely that HTTYD 2 will ever reach that point. In that event, HTTYD 2 will stand as DWA's 7th most successful film unadjusted for inflation.

gatti-man

I saw mazerunner. It was good although when i walked in and saw all the teenagers and girls i thought i had made a huge mistake.

One more update.

We finally got some new up-to-date international numbers from Disney's "Planes: Fire & Rescue" on BOM. It's been months since we've seen solid International numbers.

Anyway, Domestic is at $58.57 million and International is at $80.18 million for a combined Worldwide estimate of $138.75 million as of September 21st.

I predict the whole venture has been a net loss from the studio (from box office proceeds alone).

Compare the following:

Planes (2013)
$219.79 million worldwide gross
$50 million development budget, $90 million estimated development + marketing budget
Disney probably brought in an estimated $110 million in revenue from the box office alone
Overall, the film was probably a net profit from box office proceeds

Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014)
$138.75 million worldwide gross
$50 million development budget, $83 million estimated development + marketing budget
Disney probably brought in a estimated $70 million in revenue from the box office alone
Overall, the film was probably a net loss from box office proceeds

It's a shame to see the sequel have such disappointing legs compared to the original.

Since the sequel probably won't make Disney money from the box office alone (so Disney will have to rely on other methods, most notably merchandising, to recoup the costs), I'm not sure Disney will jump to greenlight another sequel.

They might reorient DisneyToon Studios to another project instead. However, if Planes: Fire & Rescue brings in a LOT of profit in Merchandising, that may be enough to give it another try.

If so, I expect more drops. The Cars IP seems to be losing momentum as it approaches its 10th anniversary. Maybe Pixar's Cars 3 will rejuvenate interest.

Tusk was a weird mess, but it was still pretty entertaining.

I've been wanting to see Tombstones since i found out it was the same dude who did The Lookout. I liked that one.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I just saw the Maze Runner tonight - I have to say it is a fantastic movie.

Furthermore, Dylan O'brien really surprised me, he delivered on all fronts.

Happy that Fox announced a sequel is already in production as the ending, wow - that cliffhanger, so good.

Hey guys, I need to take my dad to a movie tonight....

A Walk Among the Tombstones
or
The Equalizer

????

I know nothing about either one and the synopsis looks almost identical

Jarnet87

Silly Sony/Columbia, people don't want to see Thrillers, they want to see low budget horror films.

I wonder how The Equalizer will do. Looks super generic but it's Denzel and not much competition. 55 million dollar budget for this lol.

kurahador

Hey guys, I need to take my dad to a movie tonight....

A Walk Among the Tombstones
or
The Equalizer

????

I know nothing about either one and the synopsis looks almost identical

Tombstone is more of a slow investigation movie than action, Equalizer seems like pure action cheese fest.
Depends on what you or your dad want to watch I guess.

kswiston

You guys think GotG has enough juice left to pass up Iron Man 1 domestically?

That's such a sure thing it isn't even worth talking about anymore. Iron Man is $8.5M behind Guardians as of yesterday and Guardians has outgrossed Iron Man (at a comparable point in its run) every week for the past month.

The Low end for Guardians of the Galaxy is $325M.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
if estimates hold guardians will pass iron man this weekend

duckroll

That's such a sure thing it isn't even worth talking about anymore. Iron Man is $8.5M behind Guardians as of yesterday and Guardians has outgrossed Iron Man (at a comparable point in its run) every week for the past month.

The Low end for Guardians of the Galaxy is $325M.

What's the next realistic milestone for GotG after IM? IM3 doesn't look possible, so would it be Spider-man 3's $336 million in the list of comic adaptations?

It's weird looking at Kevin Smith's career that he hasn't ever been mainstream (even though I'm assuming movies like Clerks and Mallrats have done probably insane numbers on home box office) and in all reality, the height of his "mainstream popularity" was probably the '99-'01 era with Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back both making $30 million.

Because after that, you get the triple whammy of Jersey Girl, Clerks II, and Zack & Miri all probably preforming below expectations. I mean, Cop Out made $44 million, but I don't think many people in Iowa knew more than it was the new Bruce Willis movie.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Equilizer - $12.6M
2) The Maze Runner - $5.2M - $46M total
3) Boxtrolls - $4.9M
4) This is Where I Leave You - $2.2M - $18M total
5) No Good Deed - $1.4M - $44M
6) A Walk Among the Tombstones - $1.3M - $18M
7) Dolphin Tale 2 - $1.3M - $30M total
8) Guardians of the Galaxy - $1.0M - $316M

What's the next realistic milestone for GotG after IM? IM3 doesn't look possible, so would it be Spider-man 3's $336 million in the list of comic adaptations?

I don't think it will move any higher on the superhero list after passing Iron Man 1. If it continues to hold well, $330M for Guardians might happen, but that's probably about as high as the film will go. $336M would require a strong re-expansion, and most recent re-expansions have only added $1-3M to the tally.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates

1) The Equilizer - $35.0M
2) The Maze Runner - $17.5M - $58M total
3) Boxtrolls - $17.3M
4) This is Where I Leave You - $7.0M - $23M total
5) Dolphin Tale 2 - $4.8M - $34M total
6) No Good Deed - $4.6M - $47M
7) A Walk Among the Tombstones - $4.2M - $21M
8) Guardians of the Galaxy - $3.8M - $319M

Worldwide Updates:

- Guardians of the Galaxy - $644M
- Lucy - $395M

TEJ

I knew that gotg would be a big hit. I also said that it would surpass the winter soldiers box office revenue and holy shiat I might actually be right.

And GotG has officially passed up Iron Man 1 as the biggest franchise-starter in the MCU.

I don't get this classification.

What "franchise" are they starting?

"Marvel" is the franchise. All the films are part of the same series, and each film is building on the last in that series.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I knew that gotg would be a big hit. I also said that it would surpass the winter soldiers box office revenue and holy shiat I might actually be right.

There's no way it wouldn't have been. We're talking Disney here. Even if the movie itself blew or was average, it would have definitely made money at the box office. It's just how it works now. Every Marvel movie, post Avengers, has been a money machine. Even Thor made way more than its first part did. Same with Capt.

There's no way it wouldn't have been. We're talking Disney here. Even if the movie itself blew or was average, it would have definitely made money at the box office. It's just how it works now. Every Marvel movie, post Avengers, has been a money machine. Even Thor made way more than its first part did. Same with Capt.

At some point one of these movies will underperform. I don't know if it will be Ant-Man, but looking ahead that seems to be the one that has the biggest chance of underperforming. Of course, underperforming for Marvel would still make them money. I don't expect any Marvel movie in the near future to straight up bomb.

What is hard to understand? Each superhero/team is a franchise

I think he's talking about how most people view all the movies in the marvel cinematic universe as a single franchise since they're all interconnected and build off each other's success (Ex, Cap 2 getting a huge boost from the avengers) and exchange characters between movies.

But yeah, guardians can obviously be classified as its own franchise, but its also a part of a bigger franchise as well. So its two franchises at the same time. Or something.

What is hard to understand? Each superhero/team is a franchise

Marvel is the franchise. That that there are differently titled series within that franchise doesn't make those titles their own franchises. They're concieved, produced, and presented as interlocking pieces of the same whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom