• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•02-04•15 - Water on Mars & money in Mars as Martian soars

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

QbUQvr9.jpg
jQoC5HD.jpg
Fivv0Vv.jpg
AuRZRSh.jpg
wVyi9Pc.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
94% The Martian
eptv7.gif
51% Hotel Transylvania 2
kavuF.gif
93% Sicario
3Pj0x.gif
59% The Intern
5f4ew.gif
50% Maze Runner: Scorch Trials
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
86% The Walk

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

Box Office: Matt Damon’s ‘The Martian’ Blasting Off with $50 Million

Mars fever is hitting U.S. theaters with Matt Damon’s “The Martian” heading for an opening weekend of about $50 million at 3,286 locations, according to early estimates Friday.

20th Century Fox’s release, which carries the fortuitous coincidence of NASA’s recent discovery of water on Mars, is dominating moviegoing. Its opening day looks to take in $17 million, including $2.5 million at Thursday night previews — far above the $1.4 million from “Gravity” two years ago and the biggest preview gross since “Straight Outta Compton” pulled in $4.9 million in mid-August.

Ridley Scott’s action-adventure, starring Damon as an astronaut stranded on the Red Planet, is launching amid strong reviews following last month’s premiere at the Toronto Film Festival. Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for Rentrak, said that the initial “Martian” performance is impressive on several counts.

“Despite not being a sequel or a franchise film, it has truly captured the imagination of audiences and has clearly benefitted from the perfectly timed and thus serendipitous NASA news related to the discoveries on Mars just this week,” he said. “Plus you have the Matt Damon drawing power, plus for the true film fans, director Ridley Scott perfectly in his wheelhouse (‘Alien,’ ‘Blade Runner,’ ‘Prometheus’).”

Dergarbedian noted that “The Martian” may wind up as one of the biggest October debuts ever. “Gravity” has the month’s top opening with $55.8 million, followed by 2011’s “Paranormal Activity 3” with $52.6 million, 2010’s “Jackass 3D” with $50.4 million and 2013’s “Taken 2” with $49. 5 million.

“The Martian” had been expected to pull in around $45 million this weekend with Fox’s forecasts in recent days staying at the conservative end of estimates in the low $40s range. The film cost $109 million to produce and boasts a supporting cast that includes Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels, Michael Pena and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Pre-sales for “The Martian,” based on Andy Weir’s novel, have been topping “Gravity,” which launched on the same weekend in 2013.

“The Martian” has generated a 93% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last weekend’s winner, “Hotel Transylvania 2,” should do solid business for Sony. It’s expected to pull in roughly $28 million in the wake of its record-breaking September opening of $48.5 million.

The animated comedy sequel has generated $57.5 million in its first week in the U.S.

Lionsgate’s “Sicario” will expand to a wide audience and is expected to finish the weekend in the $8 million to $10 million range at 2,620 sites. “Sicario” has grossed $3 million in limited release since its Sept. 18 opening.

Sony’s “The Walk,” from director Robert Zemeckis, opened Wednesday and has generated $422,274 in 448 Imax and premium large-format theaters in its first two days in a bid to build moviegoer interest prior to the Oct. 9 wide release. Forecasts have pegged “The Walk” for a $3 million take in its first five days in U.S. theaters.

The film stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as French artist Philippe Petit, who walked on a high wire between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in 1974.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for source*

Glad to see strong opening weekend for The Martian. That and Inside Out have been the best movies I've seen in theaters this year.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates:

The Martian - $100M
Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials - $211M
Hotel Transylvania 2 - $150M
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $679M
Straight Outta Compton - $196M
Jurassic World - $1.664B
Minions - $1.145B
Everest - $136M
Ant-Man - $410M
Inside Out - $792M

EDIT:

Inside Out launches in China on Oct 6th. Ant-Man launches in China on Oct 16th. I think both are pretty much done after that.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I am very happy the Martian is doing well. How long has it been since we had such an earnestly pro-science pro-exploration movie?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hotel 2 held really well
there any reason that saturday did so well? Was only down 24% compared to the originals 37%

The Martian with a very solid opening too.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Also with just two weekends HT2 becomes Sony's biggest movie of the year so far

kswiston

The Martian is Ridley Scott's second biggest opening behind Hannibal. It's also Damon's second biggest opening behind the Bourne Ultimatum.

Also with just two weekends HT2 becomes Sony's biggest movie of the year so far

Sony is having a horrible year. Even with Spectre they don't have much of a shot at $1B for 2015.

kswiston

Lies, Goosebumps will bring them to infiniti!

Haha. Do they still make Goosebumps books, or is that movie hoping to cash in on 20 year old nostalgia?

Universal has cleared $2B this year. Disney will clear $2B by Dec 31st. Fox will be somewhere over $1B (maybe $1.5B if peanuts is huge), and WB over $1.5B. The good news ends there.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Haha. Do they still make Goosebumps books, or is that movie hoping to cash in on 20 year old nostalgia?

Universal has cleared $2B this year. Disney will clear $2B by Dec 31st. Fox will be somewhere over $1B (maybe $1.5B if peanuts is huge), and WB over $1.5B. The good news ends there.

Growing up, Goosebumps was really popular at my school but SONY, as per usual, have done nothing right (casting, script, marketing, etc) - they are terrible at establishing new possible properties (Mortal Instruments lol).

I think Paramount did ok for their release slate but SONY is just the joke of the industry - who the hell green-lights their live-action slate, like really?

Savitar

Growing up, Goosebumps was really popular at my school but SONY, as per usual, have done nothing right (casting, script, marketing, etc) - they are terrible at establishing new possible properties (Mortal Instruments lol).

I think Paramount did ok for their release slate but SONY is just the joke of the industry - who the hell green-lights their live-action slate, like really?

What, come on. Didn't you hear it's sweeping the country. Didn't you see that commercial at the mall with screaming girls up and down the floors and asking one guy to marry her.

It's bound to be a hot trilogy.

There's no way for it to go wrong.

No way at all.

Vice

Hotel 2 held really well
there any reason that saturday did so well? Was only down 24% compared to the originals 37%

The Martian with a very solid opening too.
Less competition in terms of animated movies. In 2012 there were a few high profile animated/family movies released before and after HT that probably hurt it. HT is pretty much the only kid-friendly movie out right now.

kswiston

Ant-Man is now sitting at just under $178.5M domestic, and after the last two weekends, it looks like hitting Thor 1 numbers is dead. Not seeing a late re-expansion didn't help. I wonder if Disney/Marvel has decided not to bother with late expansions this year, because AoU didn't get one either.

Ridley327

What does Lionsgate have on deck once The Hunger Games concludes this year? Divergent really hasn't taken off, so I don't know if they're able to hang with the big boys now.

Montresor

Sicario was such a fucked up movie. One of the best drug war / cartel movies I've ever seen in my life.

(Sicario movie spoiler): The CIA is so evil in this movie.
Employing a ruthless, sociopathic, murdering cartel member to execute innocents to help control which cartels remain in power...

It made me a little depressed. The movie Red State made me feel the same way - can higher-ups in government be this evil?

Matt_

What does Lionsgate have on deck once The Hunger Games concludes this year? Divergent really hasn't taken off, so I don't know if they're able to hang with the big boys now.

From what I can see not a whole lot unless the power rangers films take off
if anything they're just returning to normal levels after the hunger games inflated them

kswiston

What does Lionsgate have on deck once The Hunger Games concludes this year?

Nothing really. I don't see them cracking the top 6 again in the near future.

From what I can see not a whole lot unless the power rangers films take off
if anything they're just returning to normal levels after the hunger games inflated them

Lionsgate swallowed up Summit Entertainment, but even Summit was being bolstered by Twilight pre-merger.

Ridley327

Nothing really. I don't see them cracking the top 6 again in the near future.

I guess we'll be seeing news of a Saw reboot sooner or later. There's nothing wrong with them going back to their genre filler origins, but it's a pretty massive comedown all the same.

kswiston

I guess we'll be seeing news of a Saw reboot sooner or later. There's nothing wrong with them going back to their genre filler origins, but it's a pretty massive comedown all the same.

Efforts to find another young adult book franchise to fill the boots of Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games seems to have been fruitless in recent years.

ezekial45

Banned
Are those good numbers for The Walk's IMAX only debut? I'm surprised how cheap it was to make too, I would've thought it costed more after seeing all the visual effects in place.

kswiston

Are those good numbers for The Walk's IMAX only debut? .

Not really, given the PTA and the markup on IMAX tickets. Everest made 4-5x as much from a similar IMAX release, and it didn't exactly light the world on fire when it went into nationwide release.

vinnygambini

The Odyssey is suppose to be their next big franchise - it's filming early next year so there's that.

There's a couple of films in the pipeline worth keeping an eye out (Power Rangers, Gods of Egypt, Deep Water Horizon, Now You See Me) but nothing in the short term that will help elevate them to the heights The Hunger Games did.

vinnygambini

As in Homer's Odyssey?

Man, that could be awesome. Do we know who the director is, any actors? Loved the Odyssey way more than the Illiad

Yes, Homer's Odyssey, which could be great if done right.

It's the same team as The Hunger Games (Francis Lawrence, Nina Jacobson) - no actors attached yet.

The Martian is just really damn likable. Just enough drama to sustain 130 minutes, light enough for mass appeal, big cast of great A-list actors to fill the characters out, with an assured visual sense from Ridley Scott. You walk out of it feeling good, you tell people, "Oh yeah, the Martian! That was a good one". The definition of a crowd-pleaser.

Should hold up really well over the rest of the month.

EGM1966

This gives me a little more hope for Prometheus 2 or Alien Paradise Lost or whatever they're calling it. Of course they need a solid script and not some half melted thing bearing the scars of multiple drafts by different writers that never gelled into a clear cohesive whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom