• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 10•02-04•15 - Water on Mars & money in Mars as Martian soars

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

poster212x312.jpeg

The Martian is just really damn likable. Just enough drama to sustain 130 minutes, light enough for mass appeal, big cast of great A-list actors to fill the characters out, with an assured visual sense from Ridley Scott. You walk out of it feeling good, you tell people, "Oh yeah, the Martian! That was a good one". The definition of a crowd-pleaser.

Should hold up really well over the rest of the month.

I went with three people who were iffy on the movie going in (two weren't even sure they wanted to go just a few hours before we met up), they all walked out saying how good it was and they were glad they went to see it.

Hope Genndy comes up with a more interesting animation next time. I don't want him stuck on sequels even if I really liked the first Hotel Transylvania cause his signature style was present in it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hope Genndy comes up with a more interesting animation next time. I don't want him stuck on sequels even if I really liked the first Hotel Transylvania cause his signature style was present in it.
He's working on his original movie Can You Imagine? He's had a deal to develop it with Sony and been doing that on the side while the Hotel Transylvania series and the Popeye attempt happened, so now his primary focus is on getting that greenlit. Hopefully Sony rewards him with a go for production and faithful backing, but who knows.

Concept17

Desperately trying to find time to go see The Martian.

Loved the book.
Love space and Mars.

I need to see it so bad. So glad it's doing so well.

I'm still trying to figure out who Pan was even for. Its too dark and self-serious for kids, too loud and garish for adults. Its a origin story nobody asked for. Its a narrative that takes place before the fun shit happens.

why

Anth0ny

I'm still trying to figure out who Pan was even for. Its too dark and self-serious for kids, too loud and garish for adults. Its a origin story nobody asked for. Its a narrative that takes place before the fun shit happens.

why

I swear they make so many of these "serious kids movies" and they bomb every time. Why.jpg

kswiston

So this year has seen 3 major ($70M+ budget) bombs for WB, 2 for Universal, 1 for Disney (maybe 2 depending on what Strange Magic cost), and 1 for Fox.

guek

Banned
Woof...those Pan predictions..

why

Maybe it was a passion project for the director? Joe Wright has had some successes in the past, maybe the studio indulged him.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
How good is The Martian's results? It sounds like a lot but I don't really follow these things.

I really hope it does well so we can get more films of that kind.

So this year has seen 3 major ($70M+ budget) bombs for WB, 2 for Universal, 1 for Disney (maybe 2 depending on what Strange Magic cost), and 1 for Fox.

I don't know that Strange Magic would "count" though? I thought I heard that the film was largely finished pre-sale to Disney, and Disney didn't really put much money into finishing/releasing it once they had it.

kswiston

I don't know that Strange Magic would "count" though? I thought I heard that the film was largely finished pre-sale to Disney, and Disney didn't really put much money into finishing/releasing it once they had it.

Probably. Disney should make it through the year with just Tomorrowland as a black mark. I don't know what Bridge of Spies cost, but Spielberg films never outright bomb, and after that, it's Pixar and Star Wars.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Also, Universal didn't have any financial participation in Legendary's projects - they were solely distributors - Legendary assumed the costs.

But I get your point kwiston :p

kswiston

Didn't Universal make cash over Snow White?

A little under $400M on a $170M budget. Enough that they didn't lose money, but all 4 of Disney's films in that subgenre did better.

Also, Universal didn't have any financial participation in Legendary's projects - they were solely distributors - Legendary assumed the costs.

But I get your point kwiston :p

Blackhat did so poorly that there is no way they didn't lose money just off distribution. Seventh Son probably lost money on distribution at least domestically as well. But obviously that is a better place to be in than having Tomorrowland or Pan on your ledger.

why

It never made any sense. It's not the first, nor will it be the last.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Blackhat did so poorly that there is no way they didn't lose money just off distribution. Seventh Son probably lost money on distribution at least domestically as well. But obviously that is a better place to be in than having Tomorrowland or Pan on your ledger.

If the deal is similar to Fox & Dreamworks: Distributor pays the marketing upfront. Marketing costs must be paid before box-office gross is distributed to the studio (add percentage fee for distribution too).

One can assume that both Universal & Disney (Strange Magic) lost money as marketing costs far outweighed the box-office gross.

Legendary took a write-down for both these films if I'm not mistaken.

I'm surprised Disney didn't take a writedown for Tomorrowland - it's failure is equivalent to John Carter.

kswiston

I'm surprised Disney didn't take a writedown for Tomorrowland - it's failure is equivalent to John Carter.

Carter and the Lone Ranger were significantly more expensive to make (and Tomorrowland had the biggest domestic take). Maybe Disney didn't feel the need to given their 2015 was pretty stacked otherwise. Disney will probably clear $5B at the worldwide box office this year.

kswiston

boxoffice and deadline are suggesting high teens for Pan this weekend based on Early Friday business. The Martian will easily repeat at #1. Hotel Transylvania 2 will have another small drop.

And in all this, the Walk bout to open wide with 5M.

Aint nobody want to see terrible french accent JGL walk a tightrope after 80 minutes of broad Zemeckis humor b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom