• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman, 61, gives birth to own grandchild

Status
Not open for further replies.

MultiCore

Mudkips said:
The word miracle does not mean what you think it does.
It came from the Latin mirus, which was "wonderful".
That came from the ancient European meiros, which is to be pleasantly amazed.
mir·a·cle
   /ˈmɪrəkəl/ Show Spelled[mir-uh-kuhl]
–noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of god.
3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality: a miracle of modern acoustics.
5. miracle play.

Yeah, not the current common definition.....

MultiCore said:
mir·a·cle
   /ˈmɪrəkəl/ Show Spelled[mir-uh-kuhl]

Doesn't make the other ones any less valid surely...

stuminus3 said:
Good grief.

mir·a·cle   
[mir-uh-kuhl]
–noun
1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of god.

3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality: a miracle of modern acoustics.
5. miracle play.

World English Dictionary
miracle

— n
1. an event that is contrary to the established laws of nature and attributed to a supernatural cause
2. any amazing or wonderful event
3. a person or thing that is a marvellous example of something: the bridge was a miracle of engineering
4. short for miracle play
5. ( modifier ) being or seeming a miracle: a miracle cure.

LOL. You basically disproved your own thesis as all the primary definitions involve the supernatural.

And let's not forget that the 'miracle' was said literally right after they said they were 'praying'.

Crying and praying, Connell and her mother held hands as Finnean Lee Connell was delivered by cesarean section at 9:47 p.m.

When the baby let out a cry, "I lost it," said Sara Connell, the first family member to hold him. "It's such a miracle."

MultiCore

Hydranockz said:
Doesn't make the other ones any less valid surely...
That's why context is important, and understanding what the speakers intended definition in context was, would likely lead you to infer that he was referencing the 'divine intervention' definition.

mantidor

Amory Blaine said:
Why couldn't they just, you know, get a surrogate that isn't in the family?

I understand people who do this, they must not like an stranger carrying their child, and it makes sense. It's a little bit creepy for the supposed incest, but at the end of the day there isn't one. And the mother is still the mother, biologically and legally.

stuminus3

MultiCore said:
Uh... I think that's what's kicked off this little discussion, what Mudkips says is the current common definition. People use "miracle" in meaningless conversation all the time.

Person 1: "Oh man, I was just crossing the street and this truck came at me at 100mph, it just missed me!"
Person 2: "For real? Wow, it's a miracle you weren't killed"
Person 1:"No kidding, that could have been nasty!"
Atheist Agenda-GAF: "YOU ARE WROOOOOOOONG!! THERE IS NO GOD!!!!! HERP DERP!!!"

:-/

speculawyer said:
And let's not forget that the 'miracle' was said literally right after they said they were 'praying'.
Oh, I'm not forgetting. It's just irrelevant to the entire purpose of the OP, which was to highlight an unusual, heartwarming and/or freaky story. We don't need to tear everything down with misplaced atheist rantings.

speculawyer said:
LOL. You basically disproved your own thesis as all the primary definitions involve the supernatural.
What the fuck!? o_O

mrkgoo

I,m not sure I think it's all that weird.

It does remind me of Friends when phoebe carried her brother's baby. I thougt that was weird at e time, but probably because of all the 'it's my brother's baby' jokes.

MaddenNFL64

stuminus3 said:
Uh... I think that's what's kicked off this little discussion, what Mudkips says is the current common definition. People use "miracle" in meaningless conversation all the time.

Person 1: "Oh man, I was just crossing the street and this truck came at me at 100mph, it just missed me!"
Person 2: "For real? Wow, it's a miracle you weren't killed"
Person 1:"No kidding, that could have been nasty!"
Athiest Agenda-GAF: "YOU ARE WROOOOOOOONG!! THERE IS NO GOD!!!!! HERP DERP!!!"

:-/

I think in her context, it was about god, but I see your point.

Still, fuck the word miracle. Makes it seem like the wind gods pushed you out of the way or something. supernatural shit, meh.

MaddenNFL64 said:
I think in her context, it was about god, but I see your point.

Still, fuck the word miracle. Makes it seem like the wind gods pushed you out of the way or something. supernatural shit, meh.
Well, to most people these days the crazy rate at which science is progressing is an awful thing. Look around you. The little box in your pocket can contact someone from the other side of the globe, play music seemlessly and can record high quality video etc... Tell someone 20 years ago any of this and they would not believe you.

While science is well thought out, logical and entirely based on what we can observe to be 'true', it can still confound the minds of those who aren't scientists or people who know these things.

If she had said the moment was magical was Gaf gonna say wizards didn't do it? C'mon guys, can we not acknowledge this happening as an amazing event?

"I just wanted to make sure the science was there,"
Now what say ye? :p

MaddenNFL64

Hydranockz said:
Well, to most people these days the crazy rate at which science is progressing is an awful thing. Look around you. The little box in your pocket can contact someone from the other side of the globe, play music seemlessly and can record high quality video etc... Tell someone 20 years ago any of this and they would not believe you.

While science is well thought out, logical and entirely based on what we can observe to be 'true', it can still confound the minds of those who aren't scientists or people who know these things.

If she had said the moment was magical was Gaf gonna say wizards didn't do it? C'mon guys, can we not acknowledge this happening as an amazing event?

Well, we've had surrogate mothers for a while now. Women giving birth to children without any of their own DNA (well, she is the grandmother, so...). It is amazing, i'll give you that.

Oh, and

ayZMV.jpg

edit: Heh, the father was good to ask. Respect to him. Seems his wife & mother-in-law went real spiritual with it. Which is fine.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Well, we've had surrogate mothers for a while now. Women giving birth to children without any of their own DNA (well, she is the grandmother, so...). It is amazing, i'll give you that.

Oh, and

http://i.imgur.com/ayZMV.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Yeah but a surrogate mother [I]at that age[/I] is mind bending. It defies what most people would consider plausible by going against nature almost :p

:lol @ the pic

PsychoRaven said:
That's pretty damn cool. Creepy but cool.

That's the difference between you and other Atheists. You can accept that some people have different beliefs and are ok with that. Some feel the need to shit all over people who believe in god and are religious.

That makes you better then them in my book.

It's not even about religion. I think many atheists would call something a miracle even though they know that it is not literally a miracle. It just means something amazing. Modern medicine is a miracle.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
jaxword said:
I wonder what the baby absorbed via umbilical cord...I've not reached 400 level genetics yet, but something in my mind is telling me there may be something dormant in his genes as a result.
The mother...err the mother who gave birth could influence the epi-genetic make-up of the child, ie which genes get expressed.

If I needed a surrogate I don't think I would ask my 61 year old mother/-in-law to do it. Aside from probably having a higher risk of complications something about it seems a little weird.

TheExodu5

Banned
speculawyer said:
This.

And that is a very important thing to remember because people are deluding themselves with hopes for miracles. We need to recognize our limits and carefully work with them. It is awesome when we are able to do great things . . . but they are not 'miracles' . . . they are the results of hard work, investment, research, development, refinement, testing, etc.
It's a miracle if you have any friends whatsoever.

MaddenNFL64

Hydranockz said:
Yeah but a surrogate mother at that age is mind bending. It defies what most people would consider plausible by going against nature almost :p

:lol @ the pic

Just working with natures tools. natural eggs, sperm, uterus, normal gestation & birth.

Just uh, we've messed around with how it's done a bit :eek:.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Just working with natures tools. natural eggs, sperm, uterus, normal gestation & birth.

Just uh, we've messed around with how it's done a bit :eek:.
screencap.gumproast02.jpg

If you take the first pic as how nature intended it to be... and then...

mj1108

Can't wait for the kid to join GAF in about 15 years with a GRANDMA-MOM-AGE thread telling how he just found out his Grandmother gave birth to him.

MaddenNFL64

mj1108 said:
Can't wait for the kid to join GAF in about 15 years with a GRANDMA-MOM-AGE thread telling how he just found out his Grandmother gave birth to him.

Haha, we all be 40 trolling the shit out of him.

Stridone

Banned
dalemurphy said:
GAF Atheists are much more insufferable than GAF Non-Atheists.

Are you fucking kidding me? People like Willy105 are worth at least 10 GAF atheists. Religious-GAF just loves repeating how smug and intolerant atheist GAF is as soon as one atheist makes his beliefs or disdain for religion known...

As far as the story goes, I don't think it's heartwarming, just a bit gross, but whatever.

ultim8p00

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yep it's a miracle all right. Modern science and medical technology had nothing to do with this!

OMN HOW DARE THEY!!

Edit: I've never understood why some atheists feel the need to shit down anything religious they see. I personally keep my shit to myself unless some nutjob is trying to pass something ridiculous into law or something along those lines. This is an incredible story, no need to shit down their necks because they prayed about it and called it a miracle.

MaddenNFL64

ultim8p00 said:
OMN HOW DARE THEY!!

Edit: I've never understood why some atheists feel the need to shit down anything religious they see. I personally keep my shit to myself unless some nutjob is trying to pass something ridiculous into law or something along those lines. This is an incredible story, no need to shit down their necks because they prayed about it and called it a miracle.

Eh, it's the internet noise machine. I would never go "Miracle.. Pff. I spit on your miracle!" in real life. Like who the fuck does that.

But on this here internets, man i'm saying my opinion. I'm a nice anonymous though. Truly, I am.

arnold.jpg

Come with me if you... oh sorry wrong person.

I want to be in the room when they finally explain to the kid where they came from.

: I wonder if my opinion that artificial insemination should be illegal is popular at all. There is 7 billion of us, we don't need anymore. Adopt if you really need a kid Mrs. Barren.

MaddenNFL64

Strike said:

I got it!

A plastic uterus with hormones sprayed all over the place, right, and rubber fallopian tubes! And then grow the kid in a plastic bag, artificial womb!

It's perfect. Don't question this.

Zozz

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
arnold.jpg

Come with me if you... oh sorry wrong person.

I want to be in the room when they finally explain to the kid where they came from.

: I wonder if my opinion that artificial insemination should be illegal is popular at all. There is 7 billion of us, we don't need anymore. Adopt if you really need a kid Mrs. Barren.
So you're never going to have kids?

Also what's wrong with the grandma being the surrogate mom? Its probably a hell of a lot cheaper. Such backwards thinking, fuck your morals and your customs. Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom