• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Working Designs to publish Dragon Force??

jiggle

From Magic box http://the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

- Working Designs mentioned that they would like to publish the PS2 version of Sega Ages: Dragon Force in US, the game is scheduled to release in Japan on January 6, 2005.

I hope this pans out! Never got the chance to play it before.

*cue the obligatory WD and SCEA approval hates.

ferricide

john tv said:
WTF is all this Sega Ages info coming from? There's nothing on the official sites in Japan...
NCS, from distributor preorder sell sheets.

yes, i find it odd that dragon force is not on sega's PS2 lineup and PSII doesn't have a date.
http://sega.jp/ps2/

but man, i think i want PSII and IV more than anything else sega has in the cooker, and i'm getting to be pretty anti-remake.

vireland

But make it a DF1&2 compilation instead!

Dragon Force II was a really different game than the first, and not for the better (which is no surprise, since key members of the original team had departed to companies like Idea Factory by the time it was underway). Sure, DF II allowed mixed mode troops, but the scale felt wrong, the story was weak, and the music was nowhere near as epic as the first. I have no interest in revisiting DF II.

The beautiful part is that since we have the source, text, and audio from the original Saturn DF version we did, it shouldn't take a "WD age" to get here. The hardest part would be ingrating our source revision with the Japanese SEGA AGES version. Here's hoping we get it done! I love this game.

Rushmore

Working Designs, eh?

So it's coming out in five years and will cost $100? Meh, I'll buy it if they don't change a GD thing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
vireland said:
Dragon Force II was a really different game than the first, and not for the better (which is no surprise, since key members of the original team had departed to companies like Idea Factory by the time it was underway). Sure, DF II allowed mixed mode troops, but the scale felt wrong, the story was weak, and the music was nowhere near as epic as the first. I have no interest in revisiting DF II.

The beautiful part is that since we have the source, text, and audio from the original Saturn DF version we did, it shouldn't take a "WD age" to get here. The hardest part would be ingrating our source revision with the Japanese SEGA AGES version. Here's hoping we get it done! I love this game.

Can we take this as confirmation?

ferricide

vireland said:
judging from PS I (yes, it's a remake of an 8-bit game, not a 32-bit one) you'd be forced to do a lot of revising. dunno, but i'm eager to see. i never could get into DF back on saturn, and it's too expensive to bother with now. i am pleased by the idea of a remake.

would you guys be able to sell it profitably for $20? o_O i mean, it's a budget game in japan, and you'd get raked over the coals if you didn't. note: including cardboard dragon force standees will not make up for selling it for $50.

RiZ III

I had DF2 and I kinda agree with vireland, but not completly. I liked how the characters were offsprings of the original characters(I think they were anyways), plus it had a lot of voice acting. The mixed troops thing was cool but the graphics were shitty compared to the first DF. I thought DF2 added enough new elements in the game. Sega shoulda released DF1 and 2 together on the compilation.

O and I agree on the music part, it wasnt as good.

vireland

would you guys be able to sell it profitably for $20? o_O i mean, it's a budget game in japan, and you'd get raked over the coals if you didn't. note: including cardboard dragon force standees will not make up for selling it for $50.

Well, given the crappy exchange rate, it's closer to $25 in Japan than $20, and $35 on import, but I assume that it can be done, especially if the integration of the text/audio/code we still have from the US Saturn version is do-able. Of course, that won't take into account the Goldark "Reign of Blood" cozy-toes sheet set and Teiris pillow shams we're packing in...

So does the PS2 version of Dragon Force have any substantial changes, or is it pretty much just a straight port?

edit: Oh, nevermind, I guess no one knows yet! Sorry.

ferricide

vireland said:
Well, given the crappy exchange rate, it's closer to $25 in Japan than $20, and $35 on import...
true, but budget pricing in the US pretty much stands at $20. i think $30 would be bearable as well. there's also the question of sony exerting pricing pressure, a situation with which you are entirely familiar.

er, don't take that to mean i think sony should be dictating how you run your business. =)

I even planned to buy a Sega Saturn only for this game once.
I hope they will bring the game to the US, even if Working Design will need 2-3 years to tranlsate it.

Well, don't they already have the game translated? That would speed up the process quite a bit I'd imagine.

And I'm so down for this. Never got a chance to play it on the Saturn.

Tortfeasor

vireland said:
Well, given the crappy exchange rate, it's closer to $25 in Japan than $20, and $35 on import, but I assume that it can be done, especially if the integration of the text/audio/code we still have from the US Saturn version is do-able. Of course, that won't take into account the Goldark "Reign of Blood" cozy-toes sheet set and Teiris pillow shams we're packing in...

Vic! You are hilarious!!! I spit out my morning cereal when I read this! :lol :lol

Azrael

Haven't just about all the SEGA Ages remakes been absolute crap though? I'm certainly in favor of SEGA revisiting its back catalog of classics, but I'd rather them either do an anthology of faithful ports or proper updates with talented developers and big budgets behind them. These outsourced, low-budget remakes aren't going to appeal to anyone.

Foobar

Meh.

More like Working Designs is going to delay Dragon Force. If Sega gives them the greenlight when there are studios like Nippon Ichi, Atlus or Mastiff that could localize and add vocals faster and with a higher level of quality, then its just another stupid decision made by Sega.

But, knowing Sega, they'll probably do it.

BobbyRobby said:
Well, don't they already have the game translated? That would speed up the process quite a bit I'd imagine.

And I'm so down for this. Never got a chance to play it on the Saturn.

You got a point there, but think about Voice Acting...and new anime cutscenes and a watch, a hand-puppet and a specially designed soap.

Shouta

Thinking of Dragon Force makes me wish there was a remake or a new game for Brigandine. That game was the rox and better than Dragon Force.

Top Bottom