• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
I don't mind the concept, but in practice it feels like old raid dungeons are taking the place of new raid content.

And they always feel worse to me.
I'm going to have fun with it. My whole guild will essentially get 100% Maelstrom Crystal enchants, including alts. Since I started with them late, I'll have some epic upgrades I can use. I never seen Zul'Alman. New mounts.

For the people doing heroics... It seems like they get content done when they can, rather than a set date. A lot of the content seems like it was thought up a few weeks ago. So, yeah, a new Ony style boss or 4.2 sooner would have been better for a lot of you. Worst case, the new raids will get here weeks to a month later because of all the 4.1 focus.

Hopefully 4.2 will come when it was intended to come months go. Ideally they'd pump it out and the new quest area without a bunch of tweaks to other things. If so, maybe it doesn't matter how long they are taking on 4.1. Do they even put the new raid on PTR?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah i never heard of Blizzard preventing us from disenchanting dungeon loots in the past. Unless they really want to keep the price of crystals high and reserve the best enchants for the hardcore raiders(or the rich players), i dont see any reason why they would change that.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I could be wrong. I thought it seemed stupid as well.

Anyway, last time the RBG event happened, a few high-rated arena players queued into them and, while Blizzard did lose, the developers apparently played pretty well.

Mairu

Entropia said:
Hmm, couple of names in your raid seem familiar!

Any wipes between 1-5% are always soul crushing.
That whole boss is soul crushing :|

I'm getting pretty tired of wipes due to the same people not being able to handle the same slicer mechanic over and over and overrrrrrrrrrr

Bisnic said:
Yeah i never heard of Blizzard preventing us from disenchanting dungeon loots in the past. Unless they really want to keep the price of crystals high and reserve the best enchants for the hardcore raiders(or the rich players), i dont see any reason why they would change that.

I could be considered on the wealthier side of the player-base (~40k right now I believe, but had been up at 70k) and even I wasn't going to go for Maelstrom enchants in the present state of the game. The relatively marginal gain in stats from the expensive enchants isn't worth it unless it's for a piece that absolutely won't be replaced until the next tier.

Even if I were more avaricious and surpassed my previous gold high, I would still hesitate to drop thousands of gold on a single enchant, even though I've splurged on weapons and armor before.

Enchants are replaceable and provide minimal stat gain individually, weapons and armor: less so.

GLopez12 said:
Last time I checked, the Zul'Aman and Zul'Gurub epics cannot be disenchanted.

PTR bug, no longer true.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I could be considered on the wealthier side of the player-base (~40k right now I believe, but had been up at 70k) and even I wasn't going to go for Maelstrom enchants in the present state of the game.

Yeah, I mean... besides the Bracer enchantments (which will get you an extra 50 Strength/Agility/Intellect you couldn't get elsewhere) and the outlandishly expensive weapon enchants, Maelstrom Crystals aren't even good for anything more than 15-20 extra stat points compared to their infinitely-cheaper cousins.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yeah, most people in my guild don't do MC enchants right now. I had 100k before I bought the Vial of Sands and wouldn't even buy them for patterns on my enchanter.

They have a supply in the guild bank from disenchanted BOPs.. They supply them for free for weapons mainly. Anyone who gets a upgrade.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dance In My Blood said:
It's a play on the joke "How does an elephant hide in a cherry tree? He paints his toenails red." Even though elephants do not have hooves. Or anything else in common with Tauren.

Blizzard humor. : /
But I don't get that joke either. =/

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Angry Grimace said:
But I don't get that joke either. =/
I guess the idea is that an elephant (or tauren) is so big that they would be mistaken for a tree, so by isolating rounded sections and coloring them red they become a cherry tree.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Turning the old raids to dungeons seems like another logical Direction.
Theoretically, they should all do that after an expansion is over. I'm not even joking. Every single raid dungeon is useless after the level cap gets raised. If those old dungeons were meaningful content at some level, the world would at least feel cohesive, rather than just having elements that feel completely archaic. It would particularly work given Blizzard's new stance on zone design. Thinking about it now, I'm less impressed by zone design in Cataclysm than I originally was. It's cool that zones aren't torture to level in, but it's also not as good as WLK zone design, really. In WLK you at least had some semblance of choice. In Cataclysm, 90% of quests just flow from Point A all the way through the end of the zone now, and you pretty much just have to do all the quests in a very ordered format.

It does bug me a bit how much people hate on WLK despite the fact it did so much right. There's very little about Cataclysm I like better than WLK at the same point in the expansion's life cycle. Granted, maybe that isn't true for the .5% of the playing population that slaved away at Naxxramas in level 60 form.

Dance In My Blood said:
I guess the idea is that an elephant (or tauren) is so big that they would be mistaken for a tree, so by isolating rounded sections and coloring them red they become a cherry tree.
Turns out it's an extremely dated reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_joke

charlequin said:
PTR bug, no longer true.

Yeah, I mean... besides the Bracer enchantments (which will get you an extra 50 Strength/Agility/Intellect you couldn't get elsewhere) and the outlandishly expensive weapon enchants, Maelstrom Crystals aren't even good for anything more than 15-20 extra stat points compared to their infinitely-cheaper cousins.
They really need ZG epics to D/E into Lesser Maelstroms. That would keep the market from exploding

Angry Grimace

Specific explanation:

Elephant jokes rely upon absurdity and incongruity for their humour, and a contrast with the normal presumptions of knowledge about elephants. They rely upon absurdist reasoning such as that the only way to detect an elephant in one's bathtub or in one's refrigerator is by the smell of its breath, or by the presence of footprints in the butter; such as that an elephant would be found dressed in a nun's habit; or such as that an elephant could climb a cherry tree, that an elephant would paint its toenails, and that simply painting its toenails in turn would be sufficient in order to camouflage it.

Swag

After a night of raiding.

33 Wipes

9 on Heroic Chimaeron
3 on Normal Maloriak ( People don't understand interrupts apparently )
3 on Normal Atramedes ( Can't run from Fire )
18 on Nefarian ( I'm guessing kiting the adds is too hard / slow DPS )

I think it may be time to find a new guild, I feel a bit bad though, I got a lot of gear from this group, would feel like gearing and leaving but fuck this is frustrating.

Sebulon3k said:
After a night of raiding.

33 Wipes

9 on Heroic Chimaeron
3 on Normal Maloriak ( People don't understand interrupts apparently )
3 on Normal Atramedes ( Can't run from Fire )
18 on Nefarian ( I'm guessing kiting the adds is too hard / slow DPS )

I think it may be time to find a new guild, I feel a bit bad though, I got a lot of gear from this group, would feel like gearing and leaving but fuck this is frustrating.
I'm curious, what's a normal amount of wipes before downing a boss for everyone here?

I get the feeling that my raid group is absolutely horrible but I've only started raiding since cata so I have no frame of reference.

isny

napkin dispenser
PillowKnight said:
I'm curious, what's a normal amount of wipes before downing a boss for everyone here?

I get the feeling that my raid group is absolutely horrible but I've only started raiding since cata so I have no frame of reference.

The problem with Sebulon3k's group was they shouldn't have tried so many bosses in one night. You need to stick to one and go at it until it's dead. (If they wiped 18 times on one boss though, the group may just be fail)

If you have the same group of players who are geared and know their stuff, a new boss should only take 1-3 days maximum to learn. In a good situation it should only take one day, especially if strats and videos are available to handhold the group.

Now in Vanilla and even in BC this was not the case. Wrath and Cat changed raiding to the point though where it's really cake.

TheYanger

Depends on the fight. Hard fights are 80-100 for us. Easy fights were always easy.
Fights that took 80+ attempts the first time:
Conclave
Omnotron (Pre-nerfs, much easier and less frustrating now, thank god)
V&T (Same)
Cho'gall (Recently nerfed, still the hardest fight this tier for sure. We thought it looked easy and did it like 7th which was WAY fucking wrong lol)
Sinestra

Fights that were very easy/Sub 5 or 10 attempts:
Magmaw
Atramedes
Chimaeron
Halfus

Everything else was somewhere in between, probably 20-30 for most of the rest.

Obviously, this kind of thing is going to depend on your own guild's strengths: Fights with lots of personal responsibility offloaded onto a couple GOOD players can be a breeze, IE: Magmaw, Maloriak. Fights that will favor strong healers are things like Chim, and then there's just the fights where one derp by some retard will own you (Cho'gall, sinestra) and a raid with too many subpar players or a few REALLY subpar players will have serious issues.

isny said:
The problem with Sebulon3k's group was they shouldn't have tried so many bosses in one night. You need to stick to one and go at it until it's dead. (If they wiped 18 times on one boss though, the group may just be fail)

If you have the same group of players who are geared and know their stuff, a new boss should only take 1-3 days maximum to learn. In a good situation it should only take one day, especially if strats and videos are available to handhold the group.

Now in Vanilla and even in BC this was not the case. Wrath and Cat changed raiding to the point though where it's really cake.

I kind of assumed it meant total wipes and that they killed all of those bosses AFTER the wipes, or most of them. But it's clearly mostly 'farm' content as well, so understandable, farm wipes are a huge waste of time.

bunbun777

Something that may concern any Jewelcrafters-- after 4.1 the vendor price of cut uncommons will go from 9g to 75s.

To anyone that is on a server with decent or low prices-- if you can pick up Obsidium ore (preferred) or Elementium Ore for 30g a stack-- buy it all and you can make double or more quite easily.

Miletius

If the timing is right, then it looks like I'll away for the release. This is both a good (patch day woes) and a bad thing (will probably end up pugging ZG/ZA). Not sure if the trade-off is worth it.

J-Rzez

PillowKnight said:

All depends from boss to boss. HM's took us anywhere from 3 pulls, to i don't know, 60+ for some? Plus this is padded of course with dc's, bugs/glitches, and "yeah, you're wiping lol" RNG...

PillowKnight said:

My guild usually have 4-6 wipes to down a normal boss for the first time. 6-10 for heroic.

isny said:

I think it took us 50 wipes to get heroic cho'gal :[[[

Swag

isny said:

We tried Chimaeron for about 2 hours then eventually just decided to clear the instance, I guess morale was super low or people just weren't focused and we wiped on easy bosses like Atramedes and Maloriak, was a disappointing night, I'm sure if half the group didn't know each other / wasn't a feeling of obligation most people would've raid quit after maloriak. Speaking of Chimaeron, I hate how I can't carry people through that fight, would've gone a lot better if the Holy Paladin healer we brought ( Our regular couldn't make it this week ) wasn't absolute garbage.
PillowKnight said:
Wiping isn't really bad as long as your making progress through the fight. Wiping in Phase 3 of Nefarian isn't as bad as wiping in Phase 1

PillowKnight said:

We've been around 30-50 wipes per heroic boss before downing it the first time. Then usually 4-5 wipes a night for the 2nd and third kills. We still wipe on Chimaeron a lot despite it being farm for us.

I didn't think we were especially bad, but something is going on here. 6-10 wipes for a hard mode the first time sounds really good, especially for guilds that were progressing ahead of the nerf curve.

vilmer_

Not sure if it happened to anyone else, but after todays maintenance, all of my video settings got reset :/ Not really a big deal in the whole scheme of things, but I had everything set up perfectly argh! Another thing I noticed, but maybe it's just me, is that the animation is a little bit 'longer' when casting dalaran/arcane brilliance.

Mairu

We had a reasonable amount of wipes per heroic boss.

Then we hit Sinestra, and we're pretty past reasonable :|

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
It does bug me a bit how much people hate on WLK despite the fact it did so much right. There's very little about Cataclysm I like better than WLK at the same point in the expansion's life cycle. Granted, maybe that isn't true for the .5% of the playing population that slaved away at Naxxramas in level 60 form.

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Sebulon3k said:
We tried Chimaeron for about 2 hours then eventually just decided to clear the instance, I guess morale was super low or people just weren't focused and we wiped on easy bosses like Atramedes and Maloriak, was a disappointing night, I'm sure if half the group didn't know each other / wasn't a feeling of obligation most people would've raid quit after maloriak. Speaking of Chimaeron, I hate how I can't carry people through that fight, would've gone a lot better if the Holy Paladin healer we brought ( Our regular couldn't make it this week ) wasn't absolute garbage.

Wiping isn't really bad as long as your making progress through the fight. Wiping in Phase 3 of Nefarian isn't as bad as wiping in Phase 1
Oh that makes sense. It should be pretty hard for a group who has downed nef to wipe on Maloriak.

Thanks for all the responses, though i'm still not sure what to think.

My group takes about 50 wipes on average to kill a normal raid boss. After downing the boss once though we generally do pretty well; the two exceptions being Atramedes and Cho'gall. It took us 50 wipes to kill him the first time and 50 more wipes to kill him a second time(just yesterday), and I still can't get people to reliably interrupt me, let alone anyone else. These extra wipes are somewhat reasonable because we just lost our two tanks and have had to go through the trouble of testing new ones, but the lack of interrupts 100 wipes in really bugs me.

The sad part though is that these guys are extremely tenacious and dedicated, my original hope was that they would begin to play better and wipe less as we gained more raiding experience but this just hasn't occurred.

DeathNote said:
The Cross-Server Dungeon Finder didn't exist this far into WOTLK. It was kind of a different world.

It really was. Better in some ways. The convenience of the dungeon finder outweighs its problems and the benefits of not having it. For one thing, lower-level dungeons are actually relevant.

isny

napkin dispenser
Yay for Blizzcon ticket announcement. At this rate, the tickets are going to be $300 in a few years...geeze...

Not only is the cost of tickets higher, but the cost of hotel rooms is double what it was the last few years, even when using the hotel booking system they offer that is supposed to offer a discount. (The Hilton and Anaheim Marriott were $100ish per night the past few years and are now $200ish)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
It really was. Better in some ways. The convenience of the dungeon finder outweighs its problems and the benefits of not having it. For one thing, lower-level dungeons are actually relevant.
Could we only do 1 of each heroic dungeon a day?

Was there even a reason to do heroics after getting raid ready?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
isny said:
Yay for Blizzcon ticket announcement. At this rate, the tickets are going to be $300 in a few years...geeze...

Not only is the cost of tickets higher, but the cost of hotel rooms is double what it was the last few years, even when using the hotel booking system they offer that is supposed to offer a discount. (The Hilton and Anaheim Marriott were $100ish per night the past few years and are now $200ish)
Is there a reason to use those hotels? Some conventions have events in hotels.

isny

napkin dispenser
DeathNote said:
Is there a reason to use those hotels? Some conventions have events in hotels.

Both of those are the closest to the convention center. The Blizzcon parties are usually held at the Hilton as well.

Why stay 4-5 blocks away when you can stay on the front door of the convention center =)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
isny said:
Both of those are the closest to the convention center. The Blizzcon parties are usually held at the Hilton as well.

Why stay 4-5 blocks away when you can stay on the front door of the convention center =)
This is a block away for half the price. On the same street as the center. Anaheim Portofino Inn and Suites

But, yeah, I was talking about that sort of thing. Parties.

isny

napkin dispenser
DeathNote said:
This is a block away for half the price. On the same street as the center. Anaheim Portofino Inn and Suites

But, yeah, I was talking about that sort of thing. Parties.

I'm still holding out hope that they release a batch of rooms at either of the two above mentioned for $100 a night like they have in the past. I've already booked at the next closest Marriott for just under $100 a night. (Booked it months ago with a coupon. It can be canceled with no penalty.)

Wrekt

Anybody know of a good mod pack?

Heavy mod usage killed the fps on my last PC so I didn't really use any. I've seen a lot of UIs that look infinitely better than the stock UI but I don't have the patience to set everything up myself. Now that I'm looking for them, I can't find any cool ones.

Swag

Wrekt said:
Heavy mod usage killed the fps on my last PC so I didn't really use any. I've seen a lot of UIs that look infinitely better than the stock UI but I don't have the patience to set everything up myself. Now that I'm looking for them, I can't find any cool ones.
Da Best

Formats to your screen resolution with a click of a button!

Wrekt

Sebulon3k said:
Da Best

Formats to your screen resolution with a click of a button!
LUI is the pack I specifically had in mind when I mentioned the "infinitely better than the default UI" comment but it hasn't been updated in a few months and there is quite a bit that is just flat out busted. I get tons of "part of the interface failed because of an addon" messages and stuff like fishing and archeology just plain don't work.

Angry Grimace

HarryDemeanor said:
$175 for this year's BlizzCon? What the fuck. What the hell are they forcing into that goodie bag this year?
A time machine that will let you play Diablo III.

DeathNote said:
Could we only do 1 of each heroic dungeon a day?

Was there even a reason to do heroics after getting raid ready?
No, but you generally had to actually know a lot of people to play, so it was more fun to run them anyways.

Alex

I still mostly do heroics with the guild, we may use the LFD to plug a spot but it's never something I'd use solo, myself. It's a good tool though, people just expect too much out of it some times.

Cataclysm utterly reams WOTLK for this point in the expansion. Naxxramas's remake was fucking garbage, hard modes weren't available yet, heroics were purely face roll after about a month since bosses were all tank and spank, etc. Ulduar was out by about this point though, so that's one thing! I guess it depends how good Firelands is.

What WOTLK reams Cataclysm in though is themes and art. BC was amazing in this regard too, at first I was totally for Cata being a rolling tribute to the variety of the old world, now I'm over it. It's just too scattered about.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:
I still mostly do heroics with the guild, we may use the LFD to plug a spot but it's never something I'd use solo, myself. It's a good tool though, people just expect too much out of it some times.
I knew a lot of people that weren't in my guild too back then. I knew just dozens and dozens of random people. It's not even remotely like that anymore.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
On one hand... a way to improve things would be to let you have a dungeon friends list with people from different servers. On the other, that would mess with random queue times.

Alex

Angry Grimace said:
I knew a lot of people that weren't in my guild too back then. I knew just dozens and dozens of random people. It's not even remotely like that anymore.

I didn't, I only play with close friends, I'm anti-community for this game :lol

Top Bottom