• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worms 3D: why the hate?

After reading reviews, I was hesitant on buying it, even though I love Armegeddon. But I got it as a birthday present, and wow, how did this game slip under the radar?

The worm charm is still intact in the 3D installment. The voices, music, sounds, and bright clear graphics all help liven the atmosphere. The controls are easy to get used too, and this game has more platforming than most modern platforming games when you are scaling a castle in order to dynamite your competition.

Also, the campaign is funner than what I remember of armeggedon, and so far, the difficulty as been fair, not impossible, or even hard like armeggedon.

But the reason to buy this game is multi, with the random scenario, and level generator, no match has to feel the same. And this game is inviting to new players, but has tons of depth, that I'm still trying to learn (bazooka firing).

The best part for me, has to be the destrobable terrain. Everything in a level can be destroyed. It's so fun to reshape the world. I really love it when someones hiding in a house, and I air strike, yelling BUNKER BUSTERS! and the house reduced to scraps with the worm so very dead.

The only thing I hate, is somethings, your worm can catch on the landscape when on jumping arround, but a quick jump usually fixes that, and the help text scrolls too slow, with no way to speed it up, instead, skipping thorugh everything.

From this, don't put so much weight on reviews, I know I shouldn't, because Worms 3D really is fun. Is this better than the 2D worms? I'm still not sure. It's near impossible to go to the darkside and dig super secret lairs as they took the blowtorch and drill out. Also, super chain reactions are much harder to come by as their infinite planes of action, not just one. But the levels are far more interesting to fight in. But really, if you need a multiplayer game, or just love previous editons of worms, you need 3D, especially when it's so cheap.

Worms just doesn't work in 3D. It's fucking near impossible to judge where any of your weapons will hit, and the controls are too awkward.

Pachinko

The 3D makes it way to clunky and has mentioned above , too hard to judge where shots will hit. It just wasn't as much fun.

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Cerebral Palsy nailed it. Although the game remains intact for its 3D incarnation, it just doesn't work out too well. The simplicity of a flat plane in previous incarnations made the game accessible for beginners and experts alike. Also, classic Worms devices such as ninja ropes and rockets got screwed over big time (These items now have a much steeper learning curve). Still a somewhat fun game, but not to the same extent as Armageddon and World Party.

Ferrio

Banned
Kwokuen said:
Cerebral Palsy nailed it. Although the game remains intact for its 3D incarnation, it just doesn't work out too well. The simplicity of a flat plane in previous incarnations made the game accessible for beginners and experts alike. Also, classic Worms devices such as ninja ropes and rockets got screwed over big time (These items now have a much steeper learning curve). Still a somewhat fun game, but not to the same extent as Armageddon and World Party.

No more Roper games....:(

Roper game = very small level with undestruable terrain, and boundaries around the map. Only weapon is infinite ninja rope and mines. And you only have 5 seconds per turn.

The Ninja Rope lost some of its appeal after playin against a friend who played very frequently in college and losing several worms to a single worm with a Ninja Rope who body slammed them all into the water in one turn.

Of course, he had been playing it like a madman since the Demo for the original worms came out some time before its release.

I also loved hearing the tiny "Hadoken" and "Shoryuken" in that demo, before changing it to Dragon Ball and Fire Punch in the release.

Ferrio

Banned
Diomedeskun said:
The Ninja Rope lost some of its appeal after playin against a friend who played very frequently in college and losing several worms to a single worm with a Ninja Rope who body slammed them all into the water in one turn.

Of course, he had been playing it like a madman since the Demo for the original worms came out some time before its release.

I also loved hearing the tiny "Hadoken" and "Shoryuken" in that demo, before changing it to Dragon Ball and Fire Punch in the release.

Ya expert ninja ropers kick your ass.

Top Bottom