• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW Awesome House of Flying Daggers Trailer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbel

Lovers is only the Japanese name.

I'm suprised you're excited about this given your displeasure over Hero. I'm sure the style will be very similar.

People are saying this movie has better fights than Hero which I find incredible given Hero had Jet Li and Donnie Yen. I expect everything else to be better than Hero though.

Hero Sucked not because it was Wire Fu but because it was BAD Wire Fu.

I loved Iron Monkey. Hero just had really crappy fights. The Jet Li vs Donnie Yen fight was good but really short. The rest of the fights sucked.

XS+

Banned
Lovers/HoFD looks freakin sweet. I'm expecting a good balance of drama and action this time around.

EDIT: I'm hearing from another forum that reaction in HK over this movie isn't positive, audiences/critics thought the action rocked but the romance bits were cheesy a la SW Ep. II.

Timbuktu

Yep/ XS+ is right. Sorry to disappoint you guys, but the film isn't great, just ok. Zhang Yimou is trying too hard, his wuxia films are still under Ang Lee's shadow. HoFD, like Hero, has a high production value. The art direction is great, the action is gripping, but it is so flashy, tries so hard to be 'great', the films falls under its own weight. The story falls apart half way through the film, sometimes feeling like it's a period version of 'Infernal Affairs' believe it or not. And there are too much CG IMO. At the end it feels a bit ridiculous. Like at the climax at the end, out of nowhere comes the snow, its overly beautiful that it's just illogical.

It's still worth checking out though. It's better than Hero since it doesn't have the dodgy political message and is a solid effort in the genre, but there's nothing to suggest a classic.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
OMFG it's Samonosuke, where's Jean Reno and Nobunaga's diminions!?

Seriously, Takeshi Kaneshiro is a great actor - most of his decisions in acting CAN be questioned but this looks great for him.

Still I think his best efforts as an actor was as a mute in Fallen Angels, a generic hitman HK flick starring everyone's lovable smoochy Leon Lai. Plus the girl masturbation scenes are priceless in it, I implore you all to check it out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom