• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow Valve sucks

I bought a copy of Counter-Strike USED (big mistake). Go home, install it, get steam running, put in the CD key...

CD KEY IS ALREADY IN USE

beautiful. $10 well spent. When I went to return it they said "No can do, buddy."

Fuckers.

Maybe I was wrong to say "Valve Sucks", but they should have a better solution to this than forcing me to send in the CD key/receipt so they can reactivate it. I'll save my time and money for something else.

Joe

stallowned.gif

Fight for Freeform said:
Valve may suck for many reasons...but this is certainly not one of them!!

O, it is. They will continue to suck until I get a copy of Counter-Strike Source, too. That is the only way they can redeem themselves.

Burger

Hah, a used copy of counterstrike on steam !?!?!?!

You must be joking.

If you read the steam faq's, you'll find it says something like:

"When you enter a cdkey for a particular game, that cdkey is PERMANENTLY bound to that steam account"

The seller of your game might not even be playing the game. That cdkey will never work again, it's a non transferrable licence to play counterstrike.

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
I'm done buying used games. GS/EB have both screwed me too many times to count. Waste of fucking money.

Deg

Banned
Dreamfixx said:
I'm done buying used games. GS/EB have both screwed me too many times to count. Waste of fucking money.

But you would be killing their most profitable assest then.

COCKLES

being watched
With the advent of Camera phones, it might be wise for some companies not to put their keys on the back of the boxes (eh Huz?) ;)

Deg

Banned
COCKLES said:
With the advent of Camera phones, it might be wise for some companies not to put their keys on the back of the boxes (eh Huz?) ;)

Yeahs ome places use the actual cases on the shelves... More reason for sealed copies with security seals intact.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ItalianStallion said:
Not this. What's the point of selling it if they know I can't use it in the first place

Single player experience...you can get new copies for like $12.

epmode

if you buy a copy of counterstrike (not condition zero,) are you able to download half-life from steam? just curious..

Hooker

Yeah, that's the beauty of Steam

I registered once and lost my cd's, now, when I just log-in I'm able to download all the games without breaking a sweat

Burger said:
Hah, a used copy of counterstrike on steam !?!?!?!

You must be joking.

If you read the steam faq's, you'll find it says something like:

"When you enter a cdkey for a particular game, that cdkey is PERMANENTLY bound to that steam account"

The seller of your game might not even be playing the game. That cdkey will never work again, it's a non transferrable licence to play counterstrike.

That's brilliant (and sinister). So pretty much HL2 will never have a resale market. Yea, for gamers. One more slap at the wrist of people who pay 50 dollars for their games and eventually wanna recoup some cost by selling it.

epmode

ravingloon said:
That's brilliant (and sinister).
you act like cd keys haven't been around for years.

edit: even if the key wasn't bound to the steam account, you'd have to be an idiot to buy a used copy of a cd keyed game.

epmode said:
you act like cd keys haven't been around for years.

edit: even if the key wasn't bound to the steam account, you'd have to be an idiot to buy a used copy of a cd keyed game.

I sell used games on Ebay. And why would anyone trust Ebay? Because if it's a super reputable seller like myself (And feedback tells a TON), you can trust what's going on and have recourse against the seller. HL2 will probably require a Steam account to play even single player, and this should be locked to 1 use? This is nothing like a CD key and I wouldn't buy any used PC game from anyplace where there wasn't accountability (Gamestop, EB). Don't know what the orignial poster was doing that for.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
It IS a way to play online with a used version of CS, but you need other software to find the pirate servers.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Gek54 said:
Technically you can sue if you wanted.

and the reason for this being the only component part of the game out of the box is online play. When you buy something guaranteed to work, and it doesn't work... ding ding!

Talked to the manager, got my money back and a free copy of an un-opened version of Counter-Strike.

So you see, nerds, you should buy used PC games more often. ;)

Actually, the same thing happens with a lot of Sierra games. Tribes II, for instance - can't play now since I forgot my login info from years gone by. Sad.

Top Bottom