• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

egruntz

shelaughz
Quick question for everyone: How long do you allow a response from a literary agent before deciding--screw it--you'll self-publish?

Frankly, that could add up pretty quick for a story that finds any sort of momentum. Thanks for posting these updates. :)

I don't imagine it turning into much, but I'm also sitting on 3 completed shorts and 1 partially completed one with a backlog of 5+ more in my mind. I've heard you can see absolutely no sales until you have at least a few out, so I'm pretty surprised that within 2 days, I've essentially already gotten 4 sales from just one.

And yeah, I'll keep posting updates. At the very least, it might let people know what to expect when the challenge is over.

Gaz_RB

Not sure if this is the right thread to be asking this but,

A start-up that I work with is starting the process (we've actually already submitted one) of writing grant requests (mostly to military contracts).

I'm at a bit of a loss of how to find:
A. Experienced grant writers (particularly those with experience writing grant requests for military contracts)
B. The costs associated with finding/researching/writing grant proposals

If anyone has any insight that would be amazing :)

I've written a few for some smaller non-profits in my area. The biggest thing that got me those grants was reaching out to the person that will be reading it. Not to beg that they accept it, but to get an exact idea of what they're looking for, and what successful grants have looked like in the past. I found just giving them a call and asking to talk worked well, but I wasn't looking for military grade grants.

I would check your local university/research firms for people who have written grants in research fields. It's pretty much engrained into their DNA

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I sent review copies of my book to about a dozen people--all friends, other authors, or reviewers that I have a good relationship with. Today, I noticed that PDF copies of the collection are available to download on some of the book piracy sites. Fun times.

I've read some indies that I thought were good, maybe not amazing, but not something I would be embarrassed recommending to people. What sucks is when you read something that has potential but is filled with typos and errors, not overwhelmed with them, but enough to be distracting. It's like they were on the verge of something really good but couldn't quite make it.
Sounds like your average Baen book :p

Quick question for everyone: How long do you allow a response from a literary agent before deciding--screw it--you'll self-publish?
I'm giving myself a full year before I give up on that route and self publish. NOt sure what the standard is, but I figure I'd rather wait longer than I maybe need to just in case.

I sent review copies of my book to about a dozen people--all friends, other authors, or reviewers that I have a good relationship with. Today, I noticed that PDF copies of the collection are available to download on some of the book piracy sites. Fun times.
That fucking sucks :\

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Dude thats super shitty! I hope it doesn't affect the collection too badly!

aidan

That fucking sucks :\

Wellp. Sorry to hear that, dude.

Dude thats super shitty! I hope it doesn't affect the collection too badly!

I'm more amused than upset, to be honest. I knew it would be pirated -- I figured it wouldn't happen until the book was out, though! I don't expect it to have any major impact on sales of the collection.

Someone who works in marketing at a publisher mentioned to me that a lot of the time those sites just scrape metadata off of Amazon and then the download contains malware instead of a book. So, maybe that's the case here.

Well that sucks. Hopefully it's as you said with the Amazon metadata and not one someone you sent it to being a dick.

?oe?oe

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WTGYVGM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Complete. Three parts was kind of pushing it. I felt like I was treading similar water at parts of it. The third is different enough to make it work. It's probably the weakest written one, but I'm glad it's in a state where it's an easier sell being 40 pages total - not too short of a short story.

I was a bit rusty coming into this, but now I feel more comfortable to build bigger worlds.

sirap

So the group of erotica/romance writers I belonged to got together for a poll to see what was selling for them. These are the results so far, and everyone who has voted makes a minimum of $8000 a month.

Erotica [GENRE] (6 votes [12.50%])

Erom [GENRE] (11 votes [22.92%])

Romance [GENRE] (1 votes [2.08%])

short stories [LENGTH] (5 votes [10.42%])

novellette (8k+ words) [LENGTH] (8 votes [16.67%])

novella (20k+ words) [LENGTH] (2 votes [4.17%])

novel (50k+ words) [LENGTH] (1 votes [2.08%])

stand alones [FORMAT] (6 votes [12.50%])

series (related stories told in order) [FORMAT] (4 votes [8.33%])

serialized stories (large stories, such as a novel, broken into smaller parts) [FORMAT] (4 votes [8.33%])

Remember that just because one format gets higher votes than the other, doesn't mean it's necessarily better. I just thought it was interesting seeing the different ways smut writers are making bank.

Progress report!

Day 1: 2 buys, 1 borrow (shouldn't count as borrowed on friend's Kindle)

Day 2: 3 buys, 1 borrow.

Seems my earnings went down, so I think at least one of those buys ended up being a return. At least I assume that's how it works. That would mean a borrow would be preferable to a buy.

Either way, that's essentially a total of 7 sales after 2 days and zero advertising beyond Twitter. Interesting... Will see how disheartening getting multiple returns will be, but the self-help book made it clear it WILL happen, so at least that's good to know.

In other news, 1,500 words into the 5th short. I should also start working on the cover more the second one set to go up on Monday.

So the group of erotica/romance writers I belonged to got together for a poll to see what was selling for them. These are the results so far, and everyone who has voted makes a minimum of $8000 a month.

Remember that just because one format gets higher votes than the other, doesn't mean it's necessarily better. I just thought it was interesting seeing the different ways smut writers are making bank.

Do you know how many books the one with the least amount of books has out? Or do the people in the group not divulge that information?

Don't stress it, Aidan.

1) The measure of success here wasn't to be sales, remember? Those are just bonus. Even pirated (if they're even true copies and not those virus things) means more eyes and more word out. You've made a nice collection with all the trims and personal touches and, how they acquired it aside, you have an audience to soak it all in. :)

2) It's unlikely to impact sales negatively when it does release (as you said).

3) You can now add a special quote/banner to your blog: "So anticipated, people couldn't wait!" or "Rated 5 stars by 99/100 pirates!"

Progress report!

Seems my earnings went down, so I think at least one of those buys ended up being a return. At least I assume that's how it works. That would mean a borrow would be preferable to a buy.

Either way, that's essentially a total of 7 sales after 2 days and zero advertising beyond Twitter. Interesting... Will see how disheartening getting multiple returns will be, but the self-help book made it clear it WILL happen, so at least that's good to know.

In other news, 1,500 words into the 5th short. I should also start working on the cover more the second one set to go up on Monday.

Do you know how many books the one with the least amount of books has out? Or do the people in the group not divulge that information?

Very nice! It's already paid for itself. Glad you joined in now? ;)

Any other fence-sitters for the challenge: You still have time. Go for it!

Jintor

Kind of a huge nerd here.
also watching way too many youtubers at this point, so if I come across erratic or even offensive, I'm just going to blame the internet for everything.

nah man it's cool.

the battle for la script is terrible and i skimmed it quickly just to see what it was like. it is terrible don't read it

i like aliens more than alien just because of the way the script is written. not really to do with the ideas really

sirap

If we're talking <=5k shorts, I see people with 10-15 books breaking the 4 digit barrier. Sometimes a good serial of 8-12k books can already get you there.

The conclusion we've come up with so far is that it's easy for smut writers to reach $5000-$8000 per month publishing 5k shorts, as it's simply a matter of pumping out books in a hot niche consistently. Pushing past $10,000 is where you'd want to do longer books, preferably 10-20k serials. Once you've gotten your brand known, full novels would blow that into 6 digits.

EDIT: I'm currently reading through The Story Grid by Shawn Coyne, and so far it's an excellent book especially for indies who don't have access to editors.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So i woke up this morning, checked my email;
We loved your story and was wondering if we could include it in our upcoming issue. The story was spot on. Characters....everything, really really lovely.

I wished all my mornings began like this. This is also the second physical book I'm being included in. It's super weird, but I think I'm starting to break through that barrier...

It's at The Fictioneer incase anyone was wondering

Mike M

Nick N

I wished all my mornings began like this. This is also the second physical book I'm being included in. It's super weird, but I think I'm starting to break through that barrier...

0fcac8354e7127b1fe9fee249827b24f.gif

Ashes

Banned

woot¬!

congrats.

aidan

Great news!

aidan

I had a big break through the other night on a short story I initially wrote a year or two ago. I finished two drafts and felt it was pretty good, but I knew something was wrong with it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. The ending was messy--I knew how to fix that, but the real issue was the motivation of one of the secondary characters. I've been chewing on it for months without any real ideas, then as I was trying to fall asleep--thinking a lot about Pathfinder--*bam* the solution to problem appeared fully-formed in my head. It seems so obvious now.

The best part about it is that the complexity and depth of the story will ramp up while the word count should drop. Best of both worlds.

Query for the hubbahubba challenge-takers; are you writing in first-person or third-person?

Most of the ero material I've seen seems to be written in first-person... I'm currently writing mine in third-person though :eek: Should I alter it just because?

Which perspective is "better" for this stuff?

aidan

While planning out my pre-release marketing campaign for Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, I set myself a goal for pre-order numbers. In no small part because of the support I've had from the GAF community, I'm one copy away from hitting that goal with five days to go. Feels good.

If anyone's interested in bringing me over that goal line, or missed my earlier posts and is interested in knowing more about the book, you can pre-order the collection here.

Progress report!

It works!

Excellent! Congrats!

I had a big break through the other night on a short story I initially wrote a year or two ago. I finished two drafts and felt it was pretty good, but I knew something was wrong with it, but couldn't quite put my finger on it. The ending was messy--I knew how to fix that, but the real issue was the motivation of one of the secondary characters. I've been chewing on it for months without any real ideas, then as I was trying to fall asleep--thinking a lot about Pathfinder--*bam* the solution to problem appeared fully-formed in my head. It seems so obvious now.

The best part about it is that the complexity and depth of the story will ramp up while the word count should drop. Best of both worlds.

The good news keeps coming!

While planning out my pre-release marketing campaign for Tide of Shadows and Other Stories, I set myself a goal for pre-order numbers. In no small part because of the support I've had from the GAF community, I'm one copy away from hitting that goal with five days to go. Feels good.

If anyone's interested in bringing me over that goal line, or missed my earlier posts and is interested in knowing more about the book, you can pre-order the collection here.

Done! Just pre-ordered. I hope as the OP of this illustrious thread that I helped you hit your mark.

In hubba-hubba news, I just wrote 1,500 more words, and they were all the *wink* *wink* words and voila, story #1 is at 3K words. One more scene of sexy times then some fireworks gonna happen to set off the cliffhanger and kapow I'm in it.

I may need some help with a cover....

I'm more amused than upset, to be honest. I knew it would be pirated -- I figured it wouldn't happen until the book was out, though! I don't expect it to have any major impact on sales of the collection.

Someone who works in marketing at a publisher mentioned to me that a lot of the time those sites just scrape metadata off of Amazon and then the download contains malware instead of a book. So, maybe that's the case here.
I like to think of piracy as free publicity!

I'm finding it hard to find any time at all to try and finish this novel. I got this new bullshit job that tried my hardest today and usually by the time I get home I only got time to eat, fill out a couple of applications, and then sleep.

It seems to be holding me back from further increasing my portfolio and increasing my skills.

Thanks! I just bought your book, too. :)

I couldn't help but smile when I saw this:

cZjsqM0.png

Definitely. [spoilers]If those pirates talk about the book.[/spoilers]
Boom!

Let me know when you want to do the interview. ;-)

That image warms the cockles of my heart.

Edit: this post was influenced by Ardberg Corryvreckan.

Do any of you find yourself in the position where your friends and family don't actually give a shit about your writing? Because I do, and I'm sick of it. To be honest, my family try, very hard in fact, but my friends dont' give a shit. They always tell me they want to read it, and I send what I write to them, and then they find themselves far too busy to bother.

Meanwhile, my few writer friends don't care about what I produce but will ask me how I produce stuff

"How did you finish your novel?"

"I wrote every day until it was done."

"Oh..."

I think I surround myself with shit people, is what I'm getting at. But I'm too god damn paranoid to join some kind of writers group because it only takes one asshole to have whatever I'm working on appear on deviantart or 4chan. It doesn't help that I've known people who would do that because "4tehlulz"

And now I'm venting about specific people that will never see this. I'm sorry.

360pages

Do any of you find yourself in the position where your friends and family don't actually give a shit about your writing? Because I do, and I'm sick of it. To be honest, my family try, very hard in fact, but my friends dont' give a shit. They always tell me they want to read it, and I send what I write to them, and then they find themselves far too busy to bother.

Meanwhile, my few writer friends don't care about what I produce but will ask me how I produce stuff

"How did you finish your novel?"

"I wrote every day until it was done."

"Oh..."

I think I surround myself with shit people, is what I'm getting at. But I'm too god damn paranoid to join some kind of writers group because it only takes one asshole to have whatever I'm working on appear on deviantart or 4chan. It doesn't help that I've known people who would do that because "4tehlulz"

And now I'm venting about specific people that will never see this. I'm sorry.

Hmm, have you thought about writing a Web-Novel then once you finish that and if you think its publish worthy, take it off the site and make corrections and edits to it. Things I put on online websites are rarely final versions of the things I want published. So even if someone takes it off the site, it won't be a good or well written version of it.

Hmm, have you thought about writing a Web-Novel then once you finish that and if you think its publish worthy, take it off the site and make corrections and edits to it. Things I put on online websites are rarely final versions of the things I want published. So even if someone takes it off the site, it won't be a good or well written version of it.
Well, this complaint is mostly directed at anything I write. I feel like I need people to yell at me for me to find mistakes.

Hell, I was DONE with my first novel until I randomly swapped first chapters with a random person I met on a furry website of all things, and he pointed out some minor--yet pervasive and annoying--flaws that I spent a month fixing. Without that crazy act of randomness, my novel would have been much worse. I cut another 4k words thanks to him!

And I guess the fact that I can't rely on people I actually know to help me with that is frustrating. Moreso because they pretend to care until I actually ask them to help. THen they have no time or forget or go off the grid for a few weeks in hopes i forget.

As creative people, I feel like we tend to flock together, no? My friends are musicians and writers and artists. I make an effort to check their stuff out, to offer criticism and advice when I can, and they appreciate that. They never return the favor.

And again I feel kind if bad ranting about this, since it's so god damn in my own life, but fuck it's driving me up a wall. I want to move into the final edits of Amp, but I don't think I've gotten enough feedback to do that. I get too attached to my own bullshit to want to cut, and it's certainly needs a few more cuts yet. I haven't taken out 10%!

360pages

I haven't even finished my first draft yet. I tend to look for people looking for grammatical errors right along with continuity errors. Since I can't yet take the opinion of my narrative until they read it.

I haven't even finished my first draft yet. I tend to look for people looking for grammatical errors right along with continuity errors. Since I can't yet take the opinion of my narrative until they read it.
I need continuity checks for sure. That and pacing/moments that are simply overwritten. i tend to drone on and on, so cutting is a big deal when I go forward with my drafts. I'ts hard for me to tell what needs to be cut though :p I kind of get married to my own writing.

Day 3 update!

1 sale, 2 borrow.

Total: 6 sales, 4 borrows, (presumably) 1 return. So perceived total earnings = about $18.

Very nice! It's already paid for itself. Glad you joined in now? ;)

It's quite possibly killing me on the inside considering this stupid thing I wrote in a few hours has made more than something I spent a year writing. But hey, money is nice!

If we're talking <=5k shorts, I see people with 10-15 books breaking the 4 digit barrier. Sometimes a good serial of 8-12k books can already get you there.

The conclusion we've come up with so far is that it's easy for smut writers to reach $5000-$8000 per month publishing 5k shorts, as it's simply a matter of pumping out books in a hot niche consistently. Pushing past $10,000 is where you'd want to do longer books, preferably 10-20k serials. Once you've gotten your brand known, full novels would blow that into 6 digits.

EDIT: I'm currently reading through The Story Grid by Shawn Coyne, and so far it's an excellent book especially for indies who don't have access to editors.

Good to know! 5-8k is MORE than enough per month for me, so I think I'll stick with erotic shorts for now.

May go up to 10 shorts with this info depending on how the first 5 do.

\[-_-]/ Congrats~

Query for the hubbahubba challenge-takers; are you writing in first-person or third-person?

Most of the ero material I've seen seems to be written in first-person... I'm currently writing mine in third-person though :eek: Should I alter it just because?

Which perspective is "better" for this stuff?

I've heard and seen both used in the research I did before the challenge started, but 1st person seems slightly more popular. I'm more comfortable writing in 3rd person, though, so that's what I'm doing. :p

Hmm... I may add that as a detail to the tracking chart to see if it has any impact on sales.

Day 3 update!

1 sale, 2 borrow.

Total: 6 sales, 4 borrows, (presumably) 1 return. So perceived total earnings = about $18.

It's quite possibly killing me on the inside considering this stupid thing I wrote in a few hours has made more than something I spent a year writing. But hey, money is nice!

Think of it as a smut raft to keep you afloat while you write what you really want to write. :)

What exactly is the deal here? Really don't have much free time these days, but sounds fun.

It's a "Hubbahubba" challenge as Blargonaut said. The overall goal is to write erotic shorts/short and publish it/them. The original challenge below calls for three shorts, each to be released one week apart to try the high volume approach that seems to be working for many full-time erotic writers. If time/life constraints keep you from doing a full 3, just completing one and publishing it on May 18th is enough to join the challenge.

Details below~

Hubbahubba Challenge

Guidelines:
- Write 3 erotic shorts (2,000 &#8211; 8,000 words*) by May 9th
(Proofreading/editing 2nd week of May)
- Simultaneous release of everyone&#8217;s first erotic short to be May 18th
- 2nd short to be published May 25th, and 3rd on June 1st
- Bundle of all 3 to be published in June for 1.99-4.99 (if your shorts are <5000k 1.99, if >5000k 4.99)
- Release platform: Amazon
- Pricing (2.99 for 4500+ words, .99 for 2000 - 4500 words) + (KU available)
- Willingness to share sales/profit numbers (if any):)P) so that we can track and compare

Participation List

Me - Medieval
Nappuccino - Friends and Benefits
Gaz_RB - Doctor-Patient Fling
Delio - Superhero
Blargonaut - Cyberpunk Heist Caper
Jintor - Lesbians?
timetokill - Virgins/Daddy Issues
toddhunter - Theme? What theme? Sex!
Nudull - ???
mu cephei - ?????
FlowersisBritish - Historical/Dinosaurs?
Cyan - Tiger/human love
cosmicblizzard - The Strange and Bizarre
Petit Melon - Vampire/Paranormal
besada - Housewives/Occult
Fiction - Heaven and Hell
sirap - Werewolf billionaire stepbrothers kink (serial)
AngmarsKing701 - Fantasy/Monster
SolVanderlyn - ???

I'll be posting an update later this week about where everyone should be/what's coming up.

Cosmic, how long was the first short and what are you charging for it?

Also, are there specific words we all need to put in the front of this thing (i.e., this work includes explicit sex and adult yadda yadda)? If so, would be nice to have those for everyone to cut and paste.

Ashes

Banned
Alright. Count me in.

Ashes - Thinking Man's Erotica.

I'm neither intelligent nor read erotica. So quality will be poor. All of the two pounds that I make by targeting a male audience - their brain & not their penis - can go to charity.

360pages

Fuck it, I might give it a shot. 5000 words can't be too much, and selling it for a dollar or two every month might actually make me some side income.

Cosmic, how long was the first short and what are you charging for it?

Also, are there specific words we all need to put in the front of this thing (i.e., this work includes explicit sex and adult yadda yadda)? If so, would be nice to have those for everyone to cut and paste.

Says 4777 on word, but that includes some shameless page extending like an acknowledgements page with completely fabricated beta-reader names and thank yous to them.

Amazon says it's an estimated 43 pages. Sold it at 2.99. Didn't put any disclaimers in the description as I didn't think it was necessary. But hey, it's only day 4, so maybe Amazon will get pissed at me over it. Better to ask sirap about that than me.

sirap

My advice would be to look at other erotica books in your chosen niche and copy what they're doing. Just make sure you pick one with a reasonably low rank (example: Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,968 Paid in Kindle Store)

Get a KU subscription and start researching. Copy everything these authors are doing, right down to the way they structure their books, write their blurbs and do their covers. Some niches have warning, while others don't. Erotica readers pretty much know what to search for, and these days you don't really have to put warnings anymore. Also. remember that with short erotica, the initial hook is all that matters. You just need them to read the first 10% of the book to get KU royalties. Start your book with something sexy, get them hard and pull back. Leave the readers wanting, make then want to read on.

Does anyone know if there's more options with Canva beyond crop and filter that I'm not seeing? Starting to get REALLY frustrated with making the cover for the second short :/

the amazon cover creator?

it's laughably inadequate, but it exists.

Hah, that'll work even less.

When you click on Filter there is an advanced options button. Hope that helps

I mean like being able to crop something in shapes other than squares/rectangles. Like if I wanted to cut around a head and take that part of the image so I don't have the rest of the background come along with it.

Edit: Alright, managed with something that wasn't my first idea, but it works. I just hope it isn't considered misleading.

Still, I picture Canva being a pain in the ass in the future with its limited options, even if it is the easiest thing to use.

Soulfire

Hah, that'll work even less.

I mean like being able to crop something in shapes other than squares/rectangles. Like if I wanted to cut around a head and take that part of the image so I don't have the rest of the background come along with it.

Edit: Alright, managed with something that wasn't my first idea, but it works. I just hope it isn't considered misleading.

Still, I picture Canva being a pain in the ass in the future with its limited options, even if it is the easiest thing to use.

Yeah it's pretty limiting. They send me emails and surveys a lot asking for my input and I hope they've got some updates planned.

Top Bottom