• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

wtf happend to the OTHER mario DS?

Barnimal

Banned
i dont understand why or how DS fans can be going berserk over a game you already played a few years ago when a NEW mario is scheduled for the system that seems to just have magically disappeared. WTF? where is it? details details! it was even in 2d! is it still coming? 2d mario>3d mario

olimario

Banned
Because the new Mario didn't look as innovative or as fun as 64 DS.
64 DS brings a lot new to the table with new characters, reworked boss fights, new levels, new mini-games, etc...

This didn't look good. The graphics and the style aren't up to snuff with the rest of the mario franchise, including Sunshine. Make it look more like Yoshi's Island and give it more innovation than Paper Mario 2 Growing and I'll be interested.

new-super-mario-bros-20040512011256478.jpg

Barnimal

Banned
olimario said:
Because the new Mario didn't look as innovative or as fun as 64 DS.
new-super-mario-bros-20040512011256478.jpg

innovative or fun as a rehash??? :lol i hope ur kidding. seriously. does that mean it was canned? if so they need to burn.

lexi

Banned
It's still most definitely coming, but Mario 64 DS is not a straight port. I must admit I was going to pass up altogether on the DS until Advance Wars, but seeing The Gamers Summit video of Mario really sold me on it.

olimario

Banned
Barnimal said:
innovative or fun as a rehash??? :lol i hope ur kidding. seriously. does that mean it was canned? if so they need to burn.

Adding 30 Shines
Adding new levels
reworking the entire game to work with 4 different characters
reworking boss fights to make them more interesting
Adding a lot of touch screen mini games
adding wireless mulitplayer modes

NOT signs of a rehash.

lexi

Banned
jooey said:
I still think it was just a damn demo.

Obviously, I don't think it was indicative of a new 2d Mario game, even though one may be coming. It looks like it was thrown together in a few days, and lacks the polish and presentation that Mario games have always had.

cvxfreak

It's probably still in development. Nintendo tends to announce games and does nothing with them for months or even years. Mario Tennis GC is an example, as it was announced back in 2002. Mother 3 also comes to mind.

As a brand-new game, New Super Mario Bros. DS needs more time in development than a reworking of Super Mario 64. The tech demo at E3 showed off some interesting ideas, but it was pretty clear that it wasn't close to being a playable, interesting game yet. It's not often you get a look at a Mario game so early in development; I expect when it's finally shown off in playable form there will be major differences.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yes, the New Super Mario Bros. looked like hell when it made its brief appearance. But so did Metroid IV (Fusion) and that turned out awesome. Both were just too early to be shown off, imho.

Kobun Heat said:
As a brand-new game, New Super Mario Bros. DS needs more time in development than a reworking of Super Mario 64. The tech demo at E3 showed off some interesting ideas, but it was pretty clear that it wasn't close to being a playable, interesting game yet. It's not often you get a look at a Mario game so early in development; I expect when it's finally shown off in playable form there will be major differences.

So true, plus the fact that it didn't use a single DS feature other than graphics... from Nintendo, is just enough to show that it was early in development.

Neat ideas though, and I must say I can't wait to see how it is in its final form. This is Nintendo, we're talking about anyways.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I like to pretend it's one of the furthest off DS games we know about because Miyamoto is going to be heavily involved and he's been busy with SM64 DS...but I'm probably just deluding myself.

Top Bottom