• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF Is Happening to the Price of Mentos Gum?

TransTrender

Gold Member
I needed some gum, so I went to Amazon to reorder whatever I got before.
The price doubled since I last ordered 6 months ago.
Here's the chart from CamelCamelCamel
ZiXG7OP.png

Did somebody destroy the Mentos factory?
Other flavors have prices that are similarly high or just as high.
These are all shipped/sold Amazon.

Hrk69

Gold Member
???

Prices everywhere have been going up for a long time now

Why do you think RDJ came back to the MCU?

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
???

Prices everywhere have been going up for a long time now

Why do you think RDJ came back to the MCU?
Laughed at the RDJ joke

But it's the sudden price jump here which is surprising. Sure, stuff is super expensive these days, buy why now would this gum double in price?

LordOfChaos

It's obviously not 36 dollars, take this opportunity to learn that Amazon does auto pricing based on supply and this probably just means the seller is low or empty and is meant to discourage new buyers until it's back in stock. If they have one left and one idiot wants to buy it for 36 dollars hey they can have at it. If you find this at a local store it's absolutely not going to be that price. More and more often I'm finding Amazon isn't the best price in general compared to brick and mortar stores.

Inflation may be real but this isn't it, this is just how Amazon's system works

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
buying gum on amazon lol wut?

are you that lazy to step outside to the supermarket?
Mentos 6 pack of 50pcs is about $2.92 per pack, about $17.50 for the unit the last time I bought some.
6 packs of 50 aren't available at brick and mortar places like a supermarket, Target, or even Walmart.
Single unit of 50pcs is currently $4.30 at Target, $4.20 at Walmart. These are the lowest. Also consider sales tax is about 4x higher at a B&M store vs Amazon.
Bottom line it's about 50% more expensive per pack to buy in store.
That's why.

Last edited:

rm082e

I needed some gum, so I went to Amazon to reorder whatever I got before.
The price doubled since I last ordered 6 months ago.
Here's the chart from CamelCamelCamel
ZiXG7OP.png

Did somebody destroy the Mentos factory?
Other flavors have prices that are similarly high or just as high.
These are all shipped/sold Amazon.

I chew this stuff all day long. I don't typically pay attention to prices much, but a couple years ago I want to say it was about $5.49 for a 120 piece bag at Walmart. I think more recently it had gone up to $6.29-ish. I just checked and it's $7.17. Doesn't seem too crazy given the general inflation we've seen.

I'll pay them whatever they charge though. As an ex-smoker, it's way cheaper than cigarettes and probably won't give me cancer as fast.

Mentos 6 pack of 50pcs is about $2.92 per pack, about $17.50 for the unit the last time I bought some.
6 packs of 50 aren't available at brick and mortar places like a supermarket, Target, or even Walmart.
Single unit of 50pcs is currently $4.30 at Target, $4.20 at Walmart. These are the lowest. Also consider sales tax is about 4x higher at a B&M store vs Amazon.
Bottom line it's about 50% more expensive per pack to buy in store.
That's why.
costco exists

rm082e

No politics but they printed a ton of money and put the country into extreme inflation.

The largest generation ever (Boomers) has just retired and pulled their money out of the market. That has a significant impact as well, and has nothing to do with politics.

It's obviously not 36 dollars, take this opportunity to learn that Amazon does auto pricing based on supply and this probably just means the seller is low or empty and is meant to discourage new buyers until it's back in stock. If they have one left and one idiot wants to buy it for 36 dollars hey they can have at it. If you find this at a local store it's absolutely not going to be that price. More and more often I'm finding Amazon isn't the best price in general compared to brick and mortar stores.

Inflation may be real but this isn't it, this is just how Amazon's system works
This.

I always wondered why a bag of potato chips was $96 at Walmart online. Now i know thank you. I kind of figured it was because it was low on stock.

Top Bottom