• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow (full album stream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrD1cxqvUg

I've listened to it a few times now and I'm really enjoying it. Only track that I'm really not getting into is 40th Street. Miracle, a song I was ready to hate based on that intro, is actually fucking brilliant (plus it's got the return of emotional Ghostface). Pioneer the Frontier, Necklace, Crushed Egos (appropriate title there), Mistaken Identities, and Ruckus in B Minor are also standouts so far.

I can imagine that people who are still expecting another 36 Chambers will be upset, but that was never going to happen. Hip-Hop is different nowadays, RZA has changed/evolved as a producer, and the group is just a lot older. It's a much more mature album, but one that I think might stand up to be their best since Forever. Time will tell though, so who knows at this point.

As an aside, here's a good interview with RZA that delves into the making of the album. What it boils down to is basically:

A Better Tomorrow came together largely because, through it all, RZA has remained perhaps the world’s biggest Wu-Tang fan.

thabiz

image.php

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
We left a large solar cloud distinguished by size,
Interaction with the wise is civilized,
The mind cause matter to fall into a center
A great deal of heat, that will radiate from within ya
From out of this collision
The central core became thick enough to trap its own light and bring vision
Each drop full of hip hop, energy
Balance on all sides, such great symmetry
The Bars unlock the power of the stars
The Mirror in the telescope pinpoint the gods
From a distance,
acting as a guiding coach
Analyse the board, universal approach.
Retune the soul to a certain pitch.
Changin the frequency frequently, hittin a certain switch
The love is paramount,
the connect is brotherly
Respect for the intellect,
and broad discovery

thats what im tallking about Gza thanks for the verse.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My Wu playlist has almost nothing but Ghost tracks, some GZA, and a few Raekwon. Very little else other than Enter the Wu Tang and some Wu Tang Forever.

Part of me is excited to get to listen to it, but the other part of me just doesn't want to end up not liking it.

I'll give it a listen after work.

I actually like this album, people get into the habit of wanting that classic WU they heard growing up but the fact of the matter is artist get older and wiser and the music starts to change for the better. It has a different sound with some of the beats but it is still the same old WU who you grew up rocking to. Any real WU fan can respect this as being a decent album though it is not there best it is good to hear from them again.

I actually like this album, people get into the habit of wanting that classic WU they heard growing up but the fact of the matter is artist get older and wiser and the music starts to change for the better. It has a different sound with some of the beats but it is still the same old WU who you grew up rocking to. Any real WU fan can respect this as being a decent album though it is not there best it is good to hear from them again.

Agreed entirely.

Is this the one they sold one copy of?

No, that's called Once Upon a Time in Shaolin.

Hip Hop

Sounds so bad. RZA as a producer is mad outdated. This is what kills the album for me. Most overrated Hip Hop producer without a doubt.

Only good thing he has produced recently are a few Kanye joints, but I'm sure he had help with those. This album should have had more outside production. Didn't the Wu have arguments over production as well before?

FStop7

Banned
I just pretend that Wu Tang only released Enter the 36 Chambers. And that most of the solo stuff never happened, either.

This album is embarrassingly bad. So sad coming from a die-hard Wu-Tang fan. I really stick up for a lot of their work but this is terrible. RZA needs to stop producing stuff.

Sounds so bad. RZA as a producer is mad outdated.

The fuck? I can see people not liking it, but how in the shit could it be called outdated? If anything, it's gotten infinitely more complex than his early production, especially with all the live instruments.

Just look at a track like Pioneer the Frontier. There is a lot going on in that track, to a distracting manner almost.

And regarding him being overrated, you even mentioning Kanye speaks volumes on that viewpoint.

I just pretend that Wu Tang only released Enter the 36 Chambers. And that most of the solo stuff never happened, either.

Must be a depressing world where Wu-Tang Forever doesn't exist.

Egos is something that the Wu Tang Crush!!! you stupid jealous niggas jump up and get rushed!! why is this track in my head lol. Rza screaming like a mad man on the chorus sounding like the old Bobby Digital Rza.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Listened once - it's iiiight production wise .. Seems like they are tracks that will grow on you

My biggest beef is the hooks .. Get the fuck out with this Nathaniel dude .. Kills the songs

Also some of the brothers didn't bring their dart game

But Rae definitely brings it

Time will tell with this .. Will never come close to the first two but is better than anything after Forever

see5harp

This is not how the rap game goes. Not sure what world you live in wherein rappers get better with age. That happens with wine, cheeses, and dimes.

I wish they'd stop with these fucking awful early 2000 beats. It's shit.

Where's the real NY underground beats like pretty much the first album has?
That Preacher man song is just too far.

It really annoys me.

Although i felt like i'd seen a ghost when i heard ODB on some of the tracks. That's all that's good about the album

This is not how the rap game goes. Not sure what world you live in wherein rappers get better with age. That happens with wine, cheeses, and dimes.

grew up on Wu Tang just like my dad grew up with the Isleys. The Isleys made music for decades and actually have put out stellar albums decades later. Plenty of musicians remain around for decades and there music can still be appreciated by there fan base. Aerosmith still makes music and some of there long time fans can still appreciate there music. Been listening to Nas for decades as well and also appreciate his latest album and hope he keeps em coming.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Cuban Lynx 2 was great. I was hoping this would be comparable, but I wasn't too impressed by my first listen.

TwiztidElf

Half way through on my first listen, and haters can GTFO. They don't understand why Wu was amazing in the first place. The musical structure is simple and complex at the same time. This is the same.
This is the Wu, classic and evolved.
Best since Forever. Awesome.

I wonder if Wu are the musical Sonic. It don't matter what they do, it'll never match up to folks inflated expectations.

Half way through on my first listen, and haters can GTFO. They don't understand why Wu was amazing in the first place. The musical structure is simple and complex at the same time. This is the same.

I wonder if Wu are the musical Sonic. It don't matter what they do, it'll never match up to folks inflated expectations.

I was able to listen to the album objectively and found it bad half the time. Not calling it garbage, but it wasn't anything amazing. If this album had a different group name on the cover (aka not Wu), you're telling this would be a great album? (that's how I'm looking at it)

see5harp

Listen to Bring The Ruckus and hear a decent RZA. Then turn this hot garbage on and try to read your post out loud without laughing at yourself. This is not classic wu tang production or rapping.

grew up on Wu Tang just like my dad grew up with the Isleys. The Isleys made music for decades and actually have put out stellar albums decades later. Plenty of musicians remain around for decades and there music can still be appreciated by there fan base. Aerosmith still makes music and some of there long time fans can still appreciate there music. Been listening to Nas for decades as well and also appreciate his latest album and hope he keeps em coming.

I can't believe you used Nas, The Isley Brothers, and Aerosmith to try and say bands get better with age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom