• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wu-Tang Clan to sell only one copy of their latest album

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's in the article. They can do whatever they want with it as soon as they buy it.
Yeah, I read the article first, but didn't think it explicitly clarified other than Forbes' speculation on what a potential buyer would do with the album. But I guess that's being overly semantic, since digital distribution means this wouldn't be a big deal without ownership of the actual music.

Everybody read this Grantland article on the Wu from yesterday, it's awesome to see how they refer to each other after all the vitriol from decades past. Good stuff.
Lol
The Wu went to Europe, to Japan. “I’m like damn, there a lot of people who can’t even stand this close to Madonna,” Meth remembers thinking. “We can smell her weave. That’s dope.”

LOL! An Egyptian cepter? LOL!!!

It's just a mass produced album in a fancy box and the masters are back in the studio which will somehow get leaked on the internet, anyways.

Everybody read this Grantland article on the Wu from yesterday, it's awesome to see how they refer to each other after all the vitriol from decades past. Good stuff.

Seconded, every Wu fan needs to drop what they are doing and read this. I never knew about Cappadonna's important role, the backlash of RZA going with live instruments, Dame Dash's role in ODB's death, and how the level of competition in the Wu drove Deck to craft the greatest verse of all time. There's much more where that came from, too. Only disappointing part was Ghost freezing out the interviewer. Does he always do that?

robotrock

Banned
... you've gotta be kidding me. They got that?

EDIT: Wikipedia says yes. Wow, I can't believe I missed that.
EDIT2: Here's hoping for All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling sometime before I die.

I thought some dude on reddit leaked that All Lights Fucked on the Hairy Amp Drooling last year?

There's a serious dearth of quotes in that article considering he recorded 15 hours of interviews.

Why do all music articles have to describe the weather, colour of the car they drove and types of food they ate instead of just printing some damn questions!?

Why are people so sure it will get leaked before release? Didn't WTT and Beyonce's latest album come out without any leaks? The leaks are in the mass production and shipping of the items not in a singular copy, or even an iTunes only release.

So will they make more money selling this one album and doing the art/album listening parties than they would have by just selling it in the traditional way? How many copies ballpark would this album have sold anyways? And the fact that artists make squat on album sales. I think this may just be a smart business decision.

I think I saw a performance from this band once, I think think the song was called Gravel Pit and it was a telling pastiche on the construction industry (from what I can make of it). They clearly are serious artists.

That article is amazing and I really hope they do release another album. I'm happy to know they all still have love for one another after all the stuff they've been through these last 20 years.. Also if the whole secret album is true I'm surprised it hasn't leaked at all.

This album is going to be better than whatever official album they're working on now, no doubt. Cilvaringz isn't a great producer but he's capable of mimicking 90s RZA enough to get by, and that's what most people want to hear the Wu over. I don't want to hear live instruments if it's not a dark sounding record, and so far RZA hasn't been able to really do the live sound great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCo9iIZdVY

Sure I'd like to hear RZA add some stuff to the production, namely drums, but overall I trust Cilvaringz to make a better "Wu Tang" album than RZA today.

The pricing...dunno. Someone is going to buy it, let's be real. There are too many rich Wu stans, from Tarantino to Japanese businessmen.

Kimawolf

One of the most entertaining and truly saddening things I've read, at the same time. I love the Wu and just the little things they say throughout the interview are fascinating/hilarious, but then there's a side that is just depressing.

I guess I can't understand how anyone could leave millions of dollars on the table due to petty disputes. These guys could start a world tour right now and sell out every show, and play on nearly every continent. But they won't due to...what exactly. Jealousy, distrust...jeez

Yep I'd go see them. Definitely. But great groups as always break up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom