• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wu Tang: The Saga Continues debuts October 13th #ProtectYaNeck

IrishNinja

source

The Wu is back.
Wu-Tang may spend some time away from the game, but they're never truly gone. Everybody is well familiar with the legendary Clan, who burst onto the scene in the early nineties. Backed by an innovative mix of menacing instrumentals and vocal samples from classic kung-fu flicks, it didn't take long for the Clan to make their impression on a burgeoning New York scene. Fast forward to over two decades later, where The Wu was more known for a questionable partnership with Martin Shkreli than they were for the merits of any new music. In fact, their last studio album A Better Tormorrow dropped back in 2014, and failed to really leave a lasting impression on die hard Shaolin soldiers.

Now, the RZA has made a glorious announcement: the Wu will be dropping their latest album Wu Tang: The Saga Continues on October 13th. In a statement, RZA confirms the ten-song project will be released through the 36 Chambers Alc lifestyle company. The album is said to be executive produced by RZA and curated by longtime collaborator Mathematics, who presumably helped shape the tracklist. Check out what RZA had to say about the album below:

"For years, Math has had the idea of putting together a body of music using modern and legendary equipment such as ASR10 with vocal performances by Wu-Tang Clan members and other prominent MCs. With The Saga Continues he’s created a masterpiece. We at 36 Chambers ALC are honored to work with Mathematics and Wu-Tang Clan to put out a great piece of art."

yeah, the last album was booty buttcheeks but for those that missed it:

Wu Tang Clan Ft. Redman - People Say

also no one cares about martin shkreli or that cilvarings mixtape he got hustled on

IrishNinja

Just be better than A Better Tomorrow.

that's a tragically low bar, and i'm saying that as someone that enjoyed bits of 8 Diagrams

still, that People Say track i posted was a big step in the right direction for me - Mathematics knows their style

related: you know one of the standout ones that blows my mind? House of Flying Daggers, just hearing dilla (RIP) channel his inner RZA was crazy there

Catvoca

Banned
The idea of a 10 track Wu Tang album that's all killer no filler is really exciting. Unlikely they'll pull it off but still.

mreddie

Better Tomorrow was ehh but I got the message from it, however, I want the Wu Fire I haven't heard since The W and Diagrams.

Ruckus I loved tho, as for the new song, yep, that's the Wu Tang alright.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
The idea of a 10 track Wu Tang album that's all killer no filler is really exciting. Unlikely they'll pull it off but still.

Yeah 10 tracks makes me hopeful, and I actually liked a better tomorrow.

Excited, although surprised that RZA was the one who announced it, I thought raekwon was being the head of the clan for the next album ?

Plus if that track is anything to go by this will be great

IrishNinja

Windmill is a good track

yeah it's been ages but i recall that being a standout track, true

Excited, although surprised that RZA was the one who announced it, I thought raekwon was being the head of the clan for the next album ?

far as i know, we only saw that for wu vs shaolin - which wasn't bad, and i enjoyed it more than better tomorrow, but i thought it was a one-time thing with the beef & all

Oh they about to bust out the ASR-10 doe?

man... I love my ASR-10 but making beats on that thing nowadays feels so antiquated. but you can't beat the converters on that thing. samples sound so warm and good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm buying, even if to me even Wu-Tang Forever wasn't that good, should have been single-side.

Ironman
Liquid Swords
Only Built For Cuban Linx
The Pillage
Return to 36 Chambers

All solo albums that to me outdid any other albums the group released after Enter the Wu-Tang. Times have changed, people changed, places have changed, you can't really outdo that.

Ironman still the best rap album ever to me tho.

I actually like "A Better Tomorrow". I hated it at first, but about a year or two ago, I went back and revisited the library of group releases and somehow fell in love with it. I gladly keep it in my rotation now.

This new track is pretty dope and I'll be looking very forward to Oct. 13.

a916

Mathematics i believe

You're right, found a higher quality pic of the single.

wu-tang-clan-redman-people-say.jpg

phanphare

Banned
damn, i really do need to hit up 8 diagrams up tonight - bought the CD (hah) the day it dropped

also ironman > liquid swords & cuban linx? some controversial statements up in here

ironman was pretty damn good tho I'm not putting it above those other two

also beneath the surface gets slept on

8 Diagrams had some good tracks, no pitch4rk

A Better Tomorrow had some okay tracks too.

For real though, I don't think there will ever be a better run of albums for any artist or group, in any genre ever compared to

36 Chambers
Tical
Return to the 36 chambers
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Ironman

Phew, who's fuckin with that?

Math was always legit dope, but to me, 4th best out of the production staff. (Behind Rza and then 4th disciple....and then True Master.)

Speaking of which...whatever happenned to 4th disciple. Those killa army beats....and low third tier Wu tang projects like KGB -bless ya life and Shabazz - death be the penalty...

giphy.gif

36 Chambers
Tical
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Ironman

gotta put Wu Forever in there. That was a classic ass album which did things no rap group has ever done or repeated to this day.

IrishNinja

For real though, I don't think there will ever be a better run of albums for any artist or group, in any genre ever compared to

36 Chambers
Tical
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Ironman

gotta put Wu Forever in there. That was a classic ass album which did things no rap group has ever done or repeated to this day.

cosigning both of these - legendary run, and Wu Forever was incredible.

Tical wasn't what we were supposed to get (neither was Uncontrolled Substances) but i fuck heavy with both those albums

see5harp

36 Chambers
Tical
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Ironman

A lot of bands kill the Wu's discography when you start considering that Cappadonna and U-God released multiple solo albums lol.

Acorn

Cautiously hyped. Everyone but Ghostface has been ass solo recently and yeah better tomorrow...

But Wu, so I'll be there.

shoelacer

Banned
Also LOL @ Rza. "I've got a bunch of leftover shit I'm gonna put out without telling or paying anyone who recorded on it"

IrishNinja

is that the Infinity Gauntlet?

yezzir

A lot of bands kill the Wu's discography when you start considering that Cappadonna and U-God released multiple solo albums lol.

with solo acts though? plus cappa got the boot forever ago
u-god...well dopium was nice
for real though, there's been some lowkey fire in recent years: secret life of walter reed, czarface 1 & 2 etc

Cautiously hyped. Everyone but Ghostface has been ass solo recently and yeah better tomorrow...

But Wu, so I'll be there.

i was gonna say meth has been somewhat consistent (at least for me) but that last mixtape thing wasn't something anyone wanted

yezzir

with solo acts though? plus cappa got the boot forever ago
u-god...well dopium was nice
for real though, there's been some lowkey fire in recent years: secret life of walter reed, czarface 1 & 2 etc

i was gonna say meth has been somewhat consistent (at least for me) but that last mixtape thing wasn't something anyone wanted

Meth killed it on that track with Cortez recently

https://youtu.be/yWQ7NpAAWG8

this is vintage evil streets type feature meth

norm9

Wu as a tight group is over aftger A Better Tomorrow, but individually, they still shine with their own albums like Raekwon's Cuban Linx 2, Inspektah Deck with the Czarface albums, etc.

KingV

Wu as a tight group is over aftger A Better Tomorrow, but individually, they still shine with their own albums like Raekwon's Cuban Linx 2, Inspektah Deck with the Czarface albums, etc.

If you mean like tightly connected, that's probably been mostly done, in all honesty since Wu Tabg Forever, or maybe the W.

They spend more time feuding than recording. Especially Rae complaining about how Rza is too controlling.

Rza's guiding hand made them all famous though, and they should probably just trust his judgment instead of fighting him all the way. You could really tell in a better tomorrow.

Tomohawk

36 Chambers
Tical
Cuban Linx
Liquid Swords
Ironman

Ghostfaces last couple of albums have been dope too, sour soul was fire. Excited to see what he does with the next wu album hes supposed to be working on.

Top Bottom