• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wukong has climbed to No.1 in IGN's community vote for 2024 GoTY

LectureMaster

Gold Member

Top 5 :
b3G0Af8.jpeg

To be frank, I don't think the list reflect an accurate projection or a well-rounded view for the games, as you are doing 92 face-offs for 47 games, and for me I only finished a handful of them this year.

Play your own face-off here:

tanners

Neo Member
So congrats? But this game most unlikely to won goty tbh, Astro Bot/FF7RB having better well critic acclaim

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Very based to see Hades 2 in the top 10.

But seriously i don’t care much about GOTY. Black Myth Wukong has already proven itself with the Steam user reviews and sales

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
All 5 games will win several goty awards, unfortunatley most people think that only GK's TGA counts.

Both got similar scores from Critics (Meta 83) yet are hailed as the GOTY by Gamers
Metacritic means nothing. Look at the scores from Fortnite or Valorant.

Senua

Gold Member
I’ll make a thread about it just for you one day, promise. I didn’t dislike it, at all. I think it’s an above average game nowhere near the level of genius it’s supposed to be. Level design is just not there for me.
I was just asking as I haven't played it yet. I don't think it's considered genius or anything though?

Fess

Both got similar scores from Critics (Meta 83) yet are hailed as the GOTY by Gamers
A critic is just a gamer like anyone else. You could be a critic, I could be a critic, GAF could have reviews posted on Metacritic. You make it sound like thousands of Gamers opinions are worth less than 100 or so Critics opinions.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Wukong 100% gets community vote because of China at the GOTYs

Astro Bot is frontrunner for GOTY with Rebirth and possibly helldivers possibly winning too.

Because of Wukong's "Studio history" it won't win the official vote.

All of these are PS5 exclusives...

Novaex

Neo Member
Nice to see Stellar Blade at #6 . My personal GOTY. Sad to see Unicorn Overlord with only 46.7% winrate. Didn't play Wukong but after IGN's smear campaign I would love to see it win.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Played through it twice, but I also played Shadow of the Erdtree twice. Both GOTY next to Unicorn Overlord. I put Rebirth above a lot of things this year, but it didn’t leave a long lasting impression.

Silent Hill 2 could very well take that spot, but as a stand alone title Wukong is definitely GOTY material.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Wukong is an extreme game maybe it’s too complex for public consumption, it has trouble connecting with casuals and if you can’t get past the first level of wukong you’re a moron according to these souls, elder difficulty people and people hate that I point this out.

Novaex

Neo Member
Interesting that 7 of the top 10 games are from asian studios. And that's a community ranking of the biggest western gaming site. Should tell you a lot about the garbage state of western gaming studios.

tommib

To me it's like a lesser Bloodborne/Sekiro with even more linear and inferior level design. Still good but imo doesn't exactly scream goty-caliber. I know I'm in the minority it seems tho, going by this topic
That’s exactly where I am, thank you. I liked Lords of the Fallen better than this. I actually finished that one.

This became super repetitive after 20 hours with subpar level design and you’re constantly respecing your character to face the odds. It’s a repetitive button smasher with cooldown effects in levels with no real sense of space or character in the environments. I can’t map any of the levels in my head.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
To me it's like a lesser Bloodborne/Sekiro with even more linear and inferior level design. Still good but imo doesn't exactly scream goty-caliber. I know I'm in the minority it seems tho, going by this topic
I think that's a perfect fine assessment for Wukong and I feel roughly the same. But at the same time I can understand folks are vastly enjoying it to pick it as their favorite this year.

Dafegamer

That’s exactly where I am, thank you. I liked Lords of the Fallen better than this. I actually finished that one.

This became super repetitive after 20 hours with subpar level design and you’re constantly respecing your character to face the odds. It’s a repetitive button smasher with cooldown effects in levels with no real sense of space or character in the environments. I can’t map any of the levels in my head.
Also, I have to mention the strange placement of invisible walls in Wukong. If you directly compare it to the freedom Sekiro has in how it approaches combat(sometimes from above due to the slick grappling hook) you instantly notice the difference in versatility. There was moments when something "looked" explorable/reachable in Wukong, for it to just be a invisible wall. The actual combat is great tho, but so is Sekiro and even better with the parry mechanics. The level design in Sekiro feels more open in how you do combat. I must admit I haven't finished Wukong due to loss of interest, but maybe I should replay it again someday. But in the moments I've played I always thought about playing Sekiro instead. Or maybe I'm just tired of Soul's likes at the moment. Mirrows my experience with Ghost of Tsushima too, just couldn't get into it.

Top Bottom