• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wukong has climbed to No.1 in IGN's community vote for 2024 GoTY

Ferdimage

Very deserving!
I was blown away starting chapter 3, currently will playing though 3 and really savouring my time with the game.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

A bit off topic.. Still waiting for Wukong price drop/physical release because there is no way I'm going to be able to do this game but want to play it for the experience.

Kind of waiting for Pro console at this point anyway, given the performance struggles, surely the Pro will provide a bit better experience for the PS5 version.

bender

What time is it?
If I think Wukong is the GOTY then why should I care if the critics disagree? Should the metacritic score change my opinion?
erin-krakow-hearties.gif

IMO, only Astrobot has a case against it this year. Wukong is the best action game by far and I say that after loving Stellar Blade to bits. Both in quantity and quality, it easily tramples GOW.

Mentioning MC as an argument after the whole media boycott and defamation is embarrassing. Pathetic, actually.

Stu_Hart

FF7 rebirth has a convoluted story that turned me off at the end. Stellar blade feels very average as the setting is very forgettable and the story/voice acting is mediocre. Black myth wukong is alright. After beating it, I feel that is it way overhyped. It's a good game, but not a great game. They could have fleshed out the story a bit more seeing how rich the chinese mythology could get, and the gameplay feels quite repetitive to be honest. As for how it compares to other games this year...I feel that shadow of the erdtree is still the best and most well put together game despite it being a dlc. It is better than most full games.

Last edited:
Possibly the only game I regret buying this year, and I bought a lot of games.
Same, the game is bad. Gameplay is total garbage imo.

Proof again that "graphics only" does not matter at all, and also shows again what western standards/audience wants, and what they like in games...

Last edited:

Dafegamer

Same, the game is bad. Gameplay is total garbage imo.

Proof again that "graphics only" does not matter at all, and also shows again what western standards/audience wants, and what they like in games...
The level design is like a theme park with prohibited areas. Some places look perfectly reachable, yet you can't for some reason. Breaks the illusion of immersion

yogaflame

Good too see games developed from South Korea, Japan and China are in the top 5. Well deserved. My game of the year is Stellar blade due to impressive graphics and great combat and game play, interestng story and lore (especially if you read and listen carefully to the dialogoues and text, and not so much in the rush and get all the three endings) and beautiful protagonist. There games are not so infested with force Dei and twisted woke agenda espescially twisted gender ideology.

Last edited:
I played Wukong for the first time today. While I do think it's cool, beyond the nice visuals, I wasn't overly blown away. I definitely enjoy it more than Stellar Blade, the gameplay feels so much better.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Jumping into this next on PC after I complete Space Marine 1 + 2.

My GOTY is still like a dragon infinite wealth but lets see if this can knock it off the spot.

Reactions: Isa

MMaRsu

Wukong is an extreme game maybe it’s too complex for public consumption, it has trouble connecting with casuals and if you can’t get past the first level of wukong you’re a moron according to these souls, elder difficulty people and people hate that I point this out.
Isnt the first level fairly easy?

Like my casual bro played this and he's in chapter 4.. lol

He usually plays Naruto and DBZ games. On easy.

Reactions: Isa

Zacfoldor

Wukong is really good. It is hard at the beginning and has a few really good boss fights right off the bat. That is very endearing. It is very much a soulslike game and really is kinda a janky game too(like the boss of chapter 1 is pretty jank, ngl). The gameplay is really solid though. Performance is terrible on PS5 and really only a "pretty good" game on PS5 imho. If it played like it did on PC or even just played smoothly I can see moving it to great. The dodge mechanic really benefits from reduced input latency and low jank levels. The game is hard to see due to tone mapping(or maybe lack of HDR I'm not sure) but something on PS5 makes the contrast hard to balance and the game is already difficult to see since you really need to make fast decisions based on visual queues which are just not easy to pick up on the PS5 version. Wukong and background all blend together making it a bit of a "lean in" game. The game could benefit from player and NPC outlines as an option.

The gameplay and feel is very old school. The graphics are fine when not getting in the way of the gameplay, and so far I would rate it a solid 8.5/10 on PS5 and maybe a 9/10 on PC. Great old school game that I love to support.

3 better games came out this year.

1 is way better, Elden Ring DLC Shadow of the Erdtree is just a better game/better experience all the way around. It's a 9.5/10 on all platforms. Maybe a 10/10 with the latest patch. Just an expertly designed xpak with tons of content that brought me back to loving Elden Ring, a game I quit after completing basically everything on 2 characters over hundreds of hours.

2 is Astrobot. It brings levels of imagination only ever seen in Mario games, to another game. That alone really is all that needs to be said, but the fact that the rest of the game is also flawlessly done, incorporating mechanics from other games(often better than those mechanics are in their own games) makes it seem like these developers are showing off. True goty level game that isn't an Xpak, and isn't an old school game with limited appeal. Astrobot is impossible not to give a 10/10 to and is this year's goty

3. Rebirth is actually an incredible game. Music is unsurpassed. Let that sink in. Unsurpassed. The problem with rebirth is the same issue with remake. There is way too much filler in the story missions. The open world is a welcome reprieve and is fun but shallow. The only real ding is the
Gongaga Region
which causes chocobo to hit trees and stop running and is unfun. Overall the game is great but has some flaws. 9/10.

There are other great games(Unicorn Overlord) but none likely to break thru and win. Astrobot is my clear favorite. Of course, user votes will be a popularity contest based on how many people have played a game, and not necessarily indicative of a game's quality.

The answer is simple. Wukong is a soulslike that is pretty good but not the best. Astrobot is the only platformer to ever compete with Mario, so it's an easy choice even if I like soulslikes a lot more. Something else could step in and win this though. I have a feeling performance on Switch will hold back the new Zelda though, so I'm not sure what game it would be.

Last edited:
Good to see Final Fantasy Rebirth near the top spot. FF7 Reb is one of the underappreciated games, especially here at NeoGaf. Square Enix has done an outstanding job with this remake of the original.

I am currently at Chapter 9, and truly impressed by the entire package - visuals, gameplay, music, voice-over, and story. The story near the end of Chapter 8 was so well done that it even made me a bit emotional.

A definite GOTY candidate in my opinion. I am playing at quality mode at 30fps and I didn't notice any of the crap criticism about performance issues this game receives.

Elden Ring Shadow of the Erd Tree is also amazing. The game is outstanding and doesn't seem to have lost any charm even two years after release. It may be challenging but this makes beating bossses

I find the last two inc. AstroBot as just average games and not outstanding to be considered for GOTY this yea.r

Last edited:

Nasigil

Deserved.

I played through all Fromsoft games and Wukong stand toe to toe with the best of them. Yeah the level design is a bit weak but everything else are so incredible it easily makes up for the little shortcomings. No game is flawless after all.

The quality and sheer variety of enemy and bosses especially puts most ARPG games to shame, only FS games is comparable and even they often have to rely on their decade of reused assets.

Absolutely a GOTY worthy game.

Nasigil

The GOTY discussion needs to be put on the same standard. Shadow of the Erdtree is incredible for an expansion, people like to joke that it's basically a full game, but if it is actually released as Elden Ring 2 it's definitely gonna be received much worse than it is now. People are brushing off its empty areas, lack of proper exploration rewards, lack of basic enemy variety, and just extremely underwhelming story because "hey it's just an DLC".

Sure, I have no problem giving it the award for the best DLC of the year, but if you are competing with full games I can't overlook these problems. I am taking Wukong over SOTE every time.

Rudius

Wukong is really good. It is hard at the beginning and has a few really good boss fights right off the bat. That is very endearing. It is very much a soulslike game and really is kinda a janky game too(like the boss of chapter 1 is pretty jank, ngl). The gameplay is really solid though. Performance is terrible on PS5 and really only a "pretty good" game on PS5 imho. If it played like it did on PC or even just played smoothly I can see moving it to great. The dodge mechanic really benefits from reduced input latency and low jank levels. The game is hard to see due to tone mapping(or maybe lack of HDR I'm not sure) but something on PS5 makes the contrast hard to balance and the game is already difficult to see since you really need to make fast decisions based on visual queues which are just not easy to pick up on the PS5 version. Wukong and background all blend together making it a bit of a "lean in" game. The game could benefit from player and NPC outlines as an option.

The gameplay and feel is very old school. The graphics are fine when not getting in the way of the gameplay, and so far I would rate it a solid 8.5/10 on PS5 and maybe a 9/10 on PC. Great old school game that I love to support.

3 better games came out this year.

1 is way better, Elden Ring DLC Shadow of the Erdtree is just a better game/better experience all the way around. It's a 9.5/10 on all platforms. Maybe a 10/10 with the latest patch. Just an expertly designed xpak with tons of content that brought me back to loving Elden Ring, a game I quit after completing basically everything on 2 characters over hundreds of hours.

2 is Astrobot. It brings levels of imagination only ever seen in Mario games, to another game. That alone really is all that needs to be said, but the fact that the rest of the game is also flawlessly done, incorporating mechanics from other games(often better than those mechanics are in their own games) makes it seem like these developers are showing off. True goty level game that isn't an Xpak, and isn't an old school game with limited appeal. Astrobot is impossible not to give a 10/10 to and is this year's goty

3. Rebirth is actually an incredible game. Music is unsurpassed. Let that sink in. Unsurpassed. The problem with rebirth is the same issue with remake. There is way too much filler in the story missions. The open world is a welcome reprieve and is fun but shallow. The only real ding is the
Gongaga Region
which causes chocobo to hit trees and stop running and is unfun. Overall the game is great but has some flaws. 9/10.

There are other great games(Unicorn Overlord) but none likely to break thru and win. Astrobot is my clear favorite. Of course, user votes will be a popularity contest based on how many people have played a game, and not necessarily indicative of a game's quality.

The answer is simple. Wukong is a soulslike that is pretty good but not the best. Astrobot is the only platformer to ever compete with Mario, so it's an easy choice even if I like soulslikes a lot more. Something else could step in and win this though. I have a feeling performance on Switch will hold back the new Zelda though, so I'm not sure what game it would be.
Shadow of the Erdtree is a DLC, so it should not count, no matter how good.

Rebirth is only a part of a remake.

Only Astrobot is a real GOTY candidate imo.

Wukong is not "perfect" like Astro Bot, but it's overall very interesting.

Nasigil

Wait, tell me how this is not blatant vote manipulation? Wukong was 1st at 90% just yesterday, then IGN make a twitter post somehow excluded it from top 4 in community votes, now you go to the same voting page and Wukong fell to 70% and just 3rd. You are telling me it could just fall down 20% in one day like that?

Wait, tell me how this is not blatant vote manipulation? Wukong was 1st at 90% just yesterday, then IGN make a twitter post somehow excluded it from top 4 in community votes, now you go to the same voting page and Wukong fell to 70% and just 3rd. You are telling me it could just fall down 20% in one day like that?

IGN.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I played Wukong for the first time today. While I do think it's cool, beyond the nice visuals, I wasn't overly blown away. I definitely enjoy it more than Stellar Blade, the gameplay feels so much better.

Wukong builds up every chapters imo. The first area is just an intro.

Top Bottom