• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBlaze Code: Embryo |OT| - More Blaze, Less Blue

I played through the first route, and my main complaint with it is the pacing. It felt like I was being rushed from scene to scene with nothing being given time to breath. And it was really odd how every single fight scene was skipped over and not shown, and this is a game from a fighting game franchise!

Yea, in the gag route, any attempt to save around 3-3 will crash the game immediately. Auto-save or manual save will produce the same results. If you manual save, your save will say it's where you saved before crash but it's really the save you "overwrote" or an empty slot. If you want to complete the route, auto-save must be off before 3-3. Any attempts to save after will crash as well.

Got this too, luckily my Gamestop is letting me exchange it for PS3 version

Got a reply to my tweet

Chris Rivera ‏@Lord_Hysteria 7m
@Bo_deWindt Don't know if you can do anything about this but there is a huge save glitch in Xblaze on the vita that makes platinum imposs.

Frank deWindt II
‏@Bo_deWindt
@Lord_Hysteria Yeah, we're already looking into things :)

So hopefully we get some resolution soon!

Yasumi

Banned
Got a reply to my tweet

@Bo_deWindt Don't know if you can do anything about this but there is a huge save glitch in Xblaze on the vita that makes platinum imposs.

Frank deWindt II
‏@Bo_deWindt

Think I'll play some Rorona in the meantime while this is sorted out.

Got a reply to my tweet

Frank deWindt II
‏@Bo_deWindt

Cool. Putting this on hold until this is sorted out.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Cool.

I'll wait to start playing until then.

In case you do want to start sooner than later, the entire game (including the gag route) is fully playable (just go ahead and turn off auto-save in the settings menu).

The primary thing that will be affected is obtaining all the AOS entries (story recaps you read by saving at specific segments of the game) due to the current issue, which will prevent you from obtaining the AOS related trophy, and ultimately the Platinum.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Could you share an ETA for the fix or is it too soon for that yet?

Unfortunately I don't have an ETA as of yet, since it would depend on the time it takes for the developer to address the issue, for us to check it, and then get it approved and released.

But once we have a better idea, I'll be sure to let everyone know :)

Ideally it will hopefully be a few weeks or less, but no promises as of yet~

I've read through three routes, and I'm feeling more and more disappointing with this. The whole dialogue only and no prose approach is probably the biggest problem, it doesn't work all that well. The main character has no development because you never see his thoughts. It especially kills the pacing of scenes, it constantly feels like you are being rushed through from to scene and nothing is given time to breathe. Way too often you are reading a few lines, seeing a transition, reading another line, seeing a transition, and then a loading screen, and on and on. I actually think the comedy scenes in the common route have been the best part of it.

Edit: I finished the rest of the VN bar the gag route, and the Mei/Koun routes don't suffer from the same pacing issues that bothered during the end of the other routes. But they were just really short side routes.

Tizoc

I am starting to notice a few character similarities in this and Steins;Gate, though nothing that major.
I will say this though: Hinata's boobs are bigger than her IQ, really hate female ditz characters in Japanese media =_=

Shizuka

I hope we're getting the other PS3/Vita Arc Systems games from Aksys. If I'm not mistaken, there is another horror game and RPG left.

Tizoc

Just made it to chapter 5
I'm guessing Unomaru is Ripper.
As is though Unomaru's my fav. character but I can see his 'laid back' behaviour being an act

Shizuka

I read this from someone at XSEED Forums:

Xblaze is basically unfinishable in its current state. There's a bug that crashes the game during one of the final routes. There are also tons of typos, odd mistranslations, and sometimes when you look at the articles the background will stay on the gamescreen with just white text floating over it instead of transitioning to the article background. I'd be fine with the story and characters if it weren't for all that other stuff though.
They also didn't bother adding subtitles to the VA interviews (not that they've ever bothered with this...)

Is that an accurate description of the localized build of the game?

I read this from someone at XSEED Forums:

Is that an accurate description of the localized build of the game?

It's true that the bonus VA stuff isn't subbed and I encountered those weird background problems for like 3 TOI articles. But I encountered no crashes and platinumed the game experiencing only one bug, which was that one scene replay didn't unlock and I had to skip through a few chapters again to get it. This is on the PS3. Unless the Vita version is drastically different, that's a bunch of hyperbole.

I don't know, I'm not reading a lot of positive feedback of the game anywhere on the internet. Not to mention, USGamer review is out:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/xblaze-code-embryo-review-vita

0.5/5
It wasn't very good and my impressions in this thread weren't positive, but the game isn't broken and a 0.5 score is lol worthy, especially when it's from someone who admittedly didn't read much of it and spends most of the review ranting about moe. He couldn't even figure out of the really simple route mechanic works, complains about having to start over after bad ends, and about the production values when that is actually one of the strengths of the VN! It sounds like he's never played a VN like this before and is ranting against the genre more than anything specific about the game. It has many flaws, this reviewer just isn't capable of articulating them.

Bob Mackey is an established visual novel enthusiast.

If he says a visual novel is bad, I 100% believe him.

It's a shame that his review is such a mess then, though I'm skeptical that an actual VN enthusiast could possibly be confused by Xblaze's route structure or by the concept of bad endings. It's honestly one of the worst reviews I've ever read, up there with whoever blasted Nier because they couldn't figure out how to fish. He quit the game before even finishing one route!
And I didn't even like Xblaze.

Uthred

Bob Mackey is an established visual novel enthusiast.

If he says a visual novel is bad, I 100% believe him.

Be that as it may, his review is poorly put together. It also certainly didnt read as being from a VN enthusiast, while it would be fine for him to point out what he felt were the games failings at several points he seemed genuinely confused by mechanics and critical of others that are more or less de facto standards when it comes to VN's (and not to sound elitist but his opening list of VN's read more along the lines of "VN-lite" than something an enthusiast would list - not that I think it matters either way, just stood out a little I thought)

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
The patch should now be out which addresses the VITA ver saving issues, if you guys want to go ahead and check it out :)

Shizuka

Someone must download it and see if you can get through the entire game enough to get the platinum trophy and I'm getting a copy for myself tomorrow.

Top Bottom